Not sure about the ring around the circle around the fist. 4 stars do make sense. Maybe try using the Great Red Spot as a symbol?

Feel free to disregard this third party comment however.

In my mind, the ring makes it clear the circle represents a planet and not just a random emblem within a circle. The Great Red Spot as a jovian symbol is a good idea but in this specific case, it would clash or look like a mistake if included with the fist.

In my mind, the ring makes it clear the circle represents a planet and not just a random emblem within a circle. The Great Red Spot as a jovian symbol is a good idea but in this specific case, it would clash or look like a mistake if included with the fist.

My first reaction to the ring was that it makes it look too Saturnine but I understand your reasoning.

You richly deserve them, as well you know! Thank You very kindly for this most excellent banner and for your hard work & consideration. :D

The only alteration that occurs to me would be to 'flip' the colours on the right hand side of Independent Republic flag (so that the rays appear to be red, white & blue) suggesting that the French colonists who arrived on this planet have been transformed into something very different by their local experiences; may I please ask if this would be possible?

That is, in all honesty, why my original request lacked any specific description - I had a High Concept ("What if somebody looked at the OG Revolutionary flag and thought"NOT RADICAL ENOUGH!") in mind, but nothing more; you've most definitely excelled that original request the way Mozart outstripped Salieri!

Flattery, my dear Tiro, will get you flags. And I found your Mozart reference doubly amusing because on a very different forum I also frequent, my username is Amadeus. LOL.

ely-rep.png

The four stars representing the four moons.

View attachment 535706

since they might see themselves as inheritors of the spartan way, they could use a flag that incorporate the spartan Lambda shield.

View attachment 535710

Words can't express how utterly beautiful these are. The Jovian Soviet is utter perfection and the Spartan Lambda is beautiful.

I echo want Joshua has said, and they are truly wonderful. I am again thankful for these flags, and the designs of them.

Somewhat esoteric request, but does someone have a non-antialiased electorate map of both Australia and New Zealand in the same scale/projection? The specific year doesn't matter so much, I'm looking for something to work off of as a base. I can use the VT-BAM maps of Aus/NZ if need be but I thought I would check to see if that had been done before; I've only seen the countries individually in the OTL Election Resource Thread.

The last current two flag requests from the last four of me and @Joshua Ben Ari.

Republic of Triton: Federal constitutional presidential republic (Triton and other Neptunian moons) Self reliant in terms of energy thanks to Triton's geyser-like volcanic vents, seas, and is at this point, an very cold ocean world and an energy provider.

The Asteroid Trade and Commerce Authority: corporate constitutional presidential republic. (Pallas, Hygeia, Interamnia, 52 Europa, 511 Davida, 87 Sylvia, 65 Cybele, 15 Eunomia, 3 Juno and 31 Euphrosyne).

Last edited:
Blue should be a prominent colour with something showing the number of members (either number of stars or number of points on a star/sun disc)

ATCA written in the middle of 10 stars for the second one?

Just some ideas.

The last current two flag requests from the last four of me and @Joshua Ben Ari.

Republic of Triton: Federal constitutional presidential republic (Triton and other Neptunian moons) Self reliant in terms of energy thanks to Triton's geyser-like volcanic vents, seas, and is at this point, an very cold ocean world and an energy provider.

The Asteroid Trade and Commerce Authority: corporate constitutional presidential republic. (Pallas, Hygeia, Interamnia, 52 Europa, 511 Davida, 87 Sylvia, 65 Cybele, 15 Eunomia, 3 Juno and 31 Euphrosyne).

for triton, maybe something with waves.
triton.png

and for ATCA, something that looks like a corporate flag with the 10 circle representing the 10 asteroids.
ATCA.png

Now I've been continuing my drive to come up with flags for the various colonies/nations of Planet Joi (from the 2300 AD* setting) and have currently arrived at the Japanese colony; The name given in the original sourcebooks is 'Tosashimizu' though my own personal research suggests the full name ought to be Tosashimizu-dō (since the names of Japanese territories should have a suffix indicating their precise status), inspired by parallels with the status of Hokkaido and borrowing elements of nomenclature from the old Gokishichidō system to indicate a geographical region larger than the average praefecture (not to mention a Japan somewhat less outward looking than the one we know).

*On a tangentially related note, this setting name always bugs me; strictly speaking it should be either AD 2300 or 2300 CE (though this is extremely pettifogging, one must admit).

Having done a quick google check - and some research on Wikipedia - it seems that Japanese subregions often use the first character of their name as a basis for their flag; in Japanese characters 'Tosashimizu' is 土佐清水 which is ... oddly amusing, since this particular Japanese colony is very much of the 'nothing good comes into Japan from anywhere else' mindset, upheld so fiercely that the other Joieuse colonies have been known to refer to it as 'Samurai Bay' (in other words the sort of mindset that martyred quite a few Japanese christians, back in the day).

Anyway, to halt a ramble before it REALLY gets underway, here's a list of Japanese national and sub-national flags; my own opinion is that the Shogunate naval ensign (in the Historic Flags section) offers a nicely severe model for a flag of 'Samurai Bay' (my suggestion would be to use the tricolour format, place the first character of the Province's name on the central strip and perhaps change the black to red).

Incidentally, this is the closest thing to a free online resource about the planet (for those not keen to spend money digging into a fairly obscure 'Hard' sci-fi setting).

Thank You in advance for your consideration and your patience!

Now I've been continuing my drive to come up with flags for the various colonies/nations of Planet Joi (from the 2300 AD* setting) and have currently arrived at the Japanese colony; The name given in the original sourcebooks is 'Tosashimizu' though my own personal research suggests the full name ought to be Tosashimizu-dō (since the names of Japanese territories should have a suffix indicating their precise status), inspired by parallels with the status of Hokkaido and borrowing elements of nomenclature from the old Gokishichidō system to indicate a geographical region larger than the average praefecture (not to mention a Japan somewhat less outward looking than the one we know).

*On a tangentially related note, this setting name always bugs me; strictly speaking it should be either AD 2300 or 2300 CE (though this is extremely pettifogging, one must admit).

Having done a quick google check - and some research on Wikipedia - it seems that Japanese subregions often use the first character of their name as a basis for their flag; in Japanese characters 'Tosashimizu' is 土佐清水 which is ... oddly amusing, since this particular Japanese colony is very much of the 'nothing good comes into Japan from anywhere else' mindset, upheld so fiercely that the other Joieuse colonies have been known to refer to it as 'Samurai Bay' (in other words the sort of mindset that martyred quite a few Japanese christians, back in the day).

Anyway, to halt a ramble before it REALLY gets underway, here's a list of Japanese national and sub-national flags; my own opinion is that the Shogunate naval ensign (in the Historic Flags section) offers a nicely severe model for a flag of 'Samurai Bay' (my suggestion would be to use the tricolour format, place the first character of the Province's name on the central strip and perhaps change the black to red).

Incidentally, this is the closest thing to a free online resource about the planet (for those not keen to spend money digging into a fairly obscure 'Hard' sci-fi setting).

Thank You in advance for your consideration and your patience!

what about something like this using the first character of Tosashimizu
Tosashimizu.png

Oh M. Pasquin you cunning old genius - not only did you whip up an absolutely splendid flag you made it purple (I have a soft spot for a good purple just about as wide as a barn door).:love:

I especially like the way that the roundel-segments you've added to the design help turn the character Tsuchi into a solar/new dawn symbol (rather than something curiously like a Crusader cross) in a way that pays homage to the Hinomaru without copy-pasting that design (I wonder if increasing the size of the central design would help compensate for the large areas of blank space on both the actual Japanese flag and the flag of this new starlet spun off from the Rising Sun?).

In any case this is purely fiddling with an already excellent design and I hope you will pardon me for fussing!:)

Thank You once again for your consideration and for your most excellent efforts.

Last edited:
I especially like the way that the roundel-segments you've added to the design help turn the character Tsuchi into a solar/new dawn symbol (rather than something curiously like a Crusader cross) in a way that pays homage to the Hinomaru without copy-pasting that design (I wonder if increasing the size of the central design would help compensate for the large areas of blank space on both the actual Japanese flag and the flag of this new starlet spun off from the Rising Sun?).

In any case this is purely fiddling with an already excellent design and I hope you will pardon me for fussing!:)

Thank You once again for your consideration and for your most excellent efforts.

I mean there is an easy if politically somewhat problematic way to fill the empty space in the Japanese flag

Only if you're willing to declare War on somebody! (-;

On a more serious note, I was thinking a bit today about what a good basic flag design for American extraterrestrial colonies in a Science Fiction might look like - a US equivalent to Ye olde Red Ensign/Blue Ensign of the British Empire - and it struck me that that one plausible format would be to keep the basic format of Old Glory (complete with 13 stripes), but replace the stars in the canton with a depiction of the constellation in which the local star - i.e. local to that extraterrestrial planet - is visible from Earth.

So, for example, an Alpha Centauri colony would feature a depiction of the constellation Centaurus in its canton (you might look to the depiction of the Southern Cross on the flags of Australia & New Zealand as a point of reference); I do suspect that getting the design Just Right in this particular case might be something of a nuisance (given just how many stars would be involved).

May I please ask if the basic format seems plausible?

I think most plausible basic flag design for American extraterrestrial colonies would be Ye olde Blue Sheet with a Seal.
Americans do not come up with the best flags often. Even if they have some very good ones.