Can someone make an inverted color flag of the state of Tennessee?
flag (1).png

Like this?

It is a secular organisation. I would say don't be afraid of using a Crescent but "Allahu Akbar" or "the Shahada" would not work.
I can't draw it but I'm thinking a bird (simurgh?) whose wings form a nearly closed crescent. Within the wings would be stars for each member.

Edit: like this roughly:
turanic-council.png

Last edited:

Philip

Donor
Also since I am here could someone provide me with a flag/symbol for "Turanic Concil", a sort of (slightly more integrated) Turkic EU in an ATL that start with a mostly identical 1914 with a different WW1.
I can't draw it but I'm thinking a bird (simurgh?) whose wings form a nearly closed crescent. Within the wings would be stars for each member.
I was thinking a similar thing or the winged leopard from the seal of Samarkand (from wikipedia),

200px-Emblem_of_Samarkand.svg.png

surrounded by stars, but I can't draw that well. I though about a crescent with stars on a sky blue field, but ended up being rather close to OTL's Turkic Council (from wikipedia):

640px-Flag_of_the_Turkic_Council.svg.png

I ended up trying a stylized Tree of Life that occasionally shows up in Central Asia Turkic design. The sky-blue is, well, the open sky. I find it to be a good pan-Turkic color as well. Green for the steppe, as well as an allusion to Islam.

Turanic-council.png

I'm not sure it feels like a 'council' flag, but it looks okay waving.

Turanic-council-waving.PNG

I was thinking a similar thing or the winged leopard from the seal of Samarkand (from wikipedia),

200px-Emblem_of_Samarkand.svg.png

surrounded by stars, but I can't draw that well. I though about a crescent with stars on a sky blue field, but ended up being rather close to OTL's Turkic Council (from wikipedia):

640px-Flag_of_the_Turkic_Council.svg.png

I ended up trying a stylized Tree of Life that occasionally shows up in Central Asia Turkic design. The sky-blue is, well, the open sky. I find it to be a good pan-Turkic color as well. Green for the steppe, as well as an allusion to Islam.

View attachment 525588

View attachment 525589

Thanks that's pretty good. Maybe I'll edit it a little but looks good.

I like that stylized version of the bird. Recognizable, but still an easy-to-manufacture flag. I might open the wings a little at the top to give impression of a crescent.
Thank you. Was meant to stand in for a bird image but does work as a stylised image.
As I'm using an online flagmaker on my phone it might be easier to have someone recreate it more tidily!

View attachment 525588

I really like the design but, and this is more a "OTL Standard Pattern" issue than anything, it doesn't look to me like the flag of an international organisation simply because the vast majority of them tend to go with a logo-centered-on-a-plain-background design. Even one exception that comes to mind, the African Union, dropped the 3 colours background they used to have and replaced it with a plain one. As such, I could see this design being used as a national or subnational flag but unless the council was purposefully trying to stand apart, I doubt it would be accept.

Something closer to form could be the tree of life in white in a blue circle centerd on a green background with the base of the tree joining a white circle that separate the blue and green parts.

Like this?

feels to me that just inverting the blue and red might give a better contrast as without the white in between, the blue and red would bleed together a bit at a distance. If you keep the colours like this though, maybe making the red brighter (as in pure red) and the blue darker would help.

I don't really know anything about that series so I can't really say what colours would be more appropriate. To me a beret is more of a military headdress than a police one though it might make perfect in-universe. One thought that pops to mind is that since this a frontier sort of place, the rippers could wear stetson or akubra with the badge at the front. Here are some policemen from the state of Queensland wearing akubras to give an example.

View attachment 525262

Now that IS a rather spiffy police uniform - has a nice 'We're doing this for the Common Weal' feel and a satisfying flourish of the Old Frontier (wheresoever that line may actually be drawn); it would definitely work as summer dress for a Gryphon constabulary, though there would need to be a much woolier winter dress (probably topped off with a flapped cap of the ushanka or yukon type) - given quite a bit of Gryphon's economy revolves around raising genetically engineered bison (mere cattle just couldn't handle the climate*) these may well be made of buffalo skins (hair on the inside, since hair on the outside seems a bit untidy looking for a uniform).

At the moment I'm learning towards grey as a default 'police' colour for Gryphon, mostly because it's a 'rocky' sort of colour that plays into the abundance of mountains (and sheer stubborness) of local inhabitants; as for the beret, it's definitely more of a 'paramilitary' than a 'police' look - on the understanding that the 'Rippers' were the solution to one problem, but the cause of at least one or two more!

Thank You very kindly once again M. Pasquin for taking the time to answer these queries!:)

*So far as I can tell the Gryphon climate cycle can be summed up as drought-deluge-deep freeze-mud; it's described as a 'rugged continental' climate over most of the plant, but 'homicidal' might be equally accurate - very dry then very wet, very cold and very hot by turns (not to mention always temperamental). I like to imagine that, after a certain point, visitors tend to talk about nothing but the weather - and that locals make a point of pride out of replying "Weather? What weather?" when guests start asking questions about the climate.

On the other hand while local weather might be a bit energetic ... and unpredictable ... and forceful at least it's usually over and done with in a hurry; one of the other inhabitable planets in the Manticore Binary System has a local year that lasts for FIVE YEARS (and two months) by Earthly reckoning. "At least our weather won't kill you with boredom" cries the Gryphon Tourist Board.

p.s. Here's a link to the appropriate Wiki to give you the basics of the planet and the setting; I can also recommend TV Tropes, though one will not post a link to that here (because I assume you'd quite like to look up from the computer screen sometime THIS week). ;)

Like this?

Something about that white strip on the right doesn't quite work on a computer monitor (it looks as though part of the image had not quite loaded), but that IS a rather attractive flag! (Perhaps one could flip the red strip and the white strip, while keeping their respective widths the same?).

Please pardon my rambling (one worries I may be over-sharing), but I've been trying to work out designs for the flags of three separate planets and struck on the idea that the most appropriate design might be a stylised depiction of the Planet's surface; not a map, per se, but something specifically constructed to reflect the impression a visitor gets when looking down from a shuttle or a space station as they touch down for the first time (for example a heavily forested planet would have layers of black and green tree shapes to suggest an apparently endless wilderness of trees, while a desert world like Mars might simply have a huge red curve against black).

May I please ask if this basic concept makes sense?

Please pardon my rambling (one worries I may be over-sharing), but I've been trying to work out designs for the flags of three separate planets and struck on the idea that the most appropriate design might be a stylised depiction of the Planet's surface; not a map, per se, but something specifically constructed to reflect the impression a visitor gets when looking down from a shuttle or a space station as they touch down for the first time (for example a heavily forested planet would have layers of black and green tree shapes to suggest an apparently endless wilderness of trees, while a desert world like Mars might simply have a huge red curve against black).

May I please ask if this basic concept makes sense?
I think it sounds like a cool concept. The Forrest planet is beyond my capabilities (Tennessee. flagsdesigner only goes so far) but i could have the mars one by friday for you.

for example a heavily forested planet would have layers of black and green tree shapes to suggest an apparently endless wilderness of trees
I agree that this is a nice concept. I had a quick go at creating a forest flag, but I don't think it works - except as something to make your eyes bleed!
AH_ForestPlanetFlag_for_Tiro_FG_first_draft.png