Renovation: An Eastern Roman Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 67076

So the ERE is becoming like the United States in terms of the right to bear arms?
Hmm, sorta. Its a reaction against the trauma of the past century. Basically the government is fine with private re-armament because of a sense of weakness and latent siege mentality, hence there's a mild decentralization of defense.

I feel a Myriokephalon coming, the Empires gonna lose a battle with minimal losses but stop their advance in its tracts and overreact to a ridiculous amount.
Or just burn itself out trying to fight two sides at once. :p

Thanks for the support guys!

I noticed, Soverihn, that you keep referring to the empire's european provinces as the Balkans (Which is a Turkish word IIRC) however they wouldn't call it that but instead call it the Haemus peninsular.

I noticed, Soverihn, that you keep referring to the empire's european provinces as the Balkans (Which is a Turkish word IIRC) however they wouldn't call it that but instead call it the Haemus peninsular.
I think we have said that before... but I cannot remember when we said so... I think it was last summer when that was last brought up.

Here in active wartime, this system had meant Anatolia was prepared for defense. Much like in the initial decades of the Arab expansion, raids were allowed into Roman territory. It was returning home that was the problem, as troops whittled down and harassed on the journey back home. Furthermore, the sheer amount of fortifications that needed to be taken, along with militia resistance, made the Karaman advance slow and painful. Do note, this did not mean the Romans could, (or wanted to for that matter) strike back into Anatolia. The army stationed in Anatolia at the time was under equipped [1] and her leaders too cautious to consider advancing until reinforcements arrived. Nor are militia forces good for offense. They might know their home terrain well, but not the enemy’s. Or be trained for that matter. Particularly against a largely light cavalry based army.

What's the [1] about?

Hi to all I am a new member and have followed this timeline since when I was not a member. I find it full of awesomeness. Congrats to the author on a job absolutely well done.
Cheers.

Deleted member 67076

Hi to all I am a new member and have followed this timeline since when I was not a member. I find it full of awesomeness. Congrats to the author on a job absolutely well done.
Cheers.
Thank you so much, I really love that you're enjoying this. :D

When we will be seeing a new update?
Right now! Its a bit short, but I felt its necessary to give closure and then move on to the next phase.

Dunno; Sov gets busy a lot.
I'll try to aim for at the very least "Once a month".

I have to say, we're actually pretty close to wrapping things up. The ERE has finally picked itself from the dirt over through a century of retooling the administration, economy and society along with fighting its way back into a regional power.

And now we''ll be seeing the culmination of all that investment and change in a government that's just itching to take back its patrimony.

Oh, and map coming soon.

----

Romania immediately moved to broaden the war.

A portion of funds were taken to rebuild the dilapidated navy and train soldiers, while a large contingent of professional troops were shuffled to Anatolia with the intent of punishing the Turks. It is interesting to note that the Romans were able to remobilize much faster than their enemies expected here, as the cumulative experience of decades of naval actions began to show. In imitation of the Venetian arsenal (and thanks to Capital flight from Venice), the Romans had been experiencing with streamlining the system of construction of ships. Now this isn’t an assembly line system that was perfected in Venice, but an increasing shift towards increasing the efficiency in shipbuilding. This meant that after a few months, the Roman Navy was once more in decent shape (40 ish warships), and during this period had begun experimenting with mounting cannons on ships. But more on that later.

The actual war in Asia would go about as one would expect a mildly exhausted state to go. Initial victories over the next year followed by the enemy regrouping and inflicting a number of defeats on the Romans as they got further and further inland over a period of the next 3 years. And like many times before in the Empire’s history, the stalemate is ended with a boring, status quo antebellum the annoys everyone but the soldiers who fought. Yet it is worth noting that in this the Roman army was in a process of learning to blunt and counter the traditional enemy cavalry that had plagued them for decades.

In the Aegean, the war was a bit shorter, but ended no more satisfactory. Although Genoa was distracted due to matters at home in its dash to relieve the capital, the Genoese had such a large advantage in terms of numbers and equipment, the Imperials were quickly forced on the defensive on their home turf. However, the war was costly for both sides, and the Genoese were pragmatic enough to just throw in the towel and sue for peace in exchange for negotiating and reducing debt payments. Battered and bruised, Romania agreed.

The message here is clear to the Imperial Junta. That Rome, despite her successes, is simply not in the big leagues yet. The next decade might seem a quiet period of introspection, with on paper nothing really happening but idle raiding on the borderlands, but in reality Rome is retooling her military and gearing up for the next round of fighting. The militias are drilling, the professional core is expanding their arsenals, and the officers are brushing up on the art of war. With the empire once more back into the sway of the Military administration, the burgeoning Merchant Empire of the Renovation had swiftly returned back into the revanchist stratocracy of centuries past.

-----

To the West: Italy burns. Heresy and hegemony intertwine as France and the pretend Roman Empire battle for influence in heartland of Christendom. The winner will determine the fate of the Western Schism and the Pope’s place in Europe, both literally and physically.

Currently the sides were France her allies (Savoy and Naples) against the a coalition of minor Italian principalities (led by the not so minor Milan) and Bohemia, current crown of the so called Holy Roman Empire.

The wildcard here is Florence. Surrounded north and south by enemies off opposing sides, the Republic was initially against the Avignon forces. Initially. As news of Naples conquest of Rome, the entire situation had changed. The war was brought right to their backyard, and surrounded on multiple sides by opposing forces. Fearful of being caught in the crossfire, Florence acted to secure her independence: She decided to back the winning horse and hedge her bets on what appeared to be the winning team, in exchange for hopefully getting a cut of the future spoils. A delegation was secretly dispatched to the French encampment to negotiate the deal. The French eagerly accepted.

Florence’s betrayal would cement victory in Italy for the Avignon Papacy. The shift in balance altered the numerical balance of the forces, and the secret negotiations meant that Florence was able to a lure a large army of Papacy aligned Condottieri within the Papal states and systematically slaughter them with little effort. Following this, the Florentines were given free reign in Tuscany and the surrounding countryside. Siena and Lucca, with some Neapolitan support, fell to Florence. The Romagna degenerated into a number of bickering warlords. The news of Rome’s fall gave a new elan to the Avignon forces while simultaneously demoralizing the opposition, allowing France and Savoy to enact important, if very costly victories.

Peace returned in Italy in 1406. But this was a peace of exhaustion and bitterness, whereas in the east, the powers that be merely recognized the facts on the ground. Depending on who you asked, heresy had won, the balance of power in Italy was shattered, and the Pope was in permanent exile. The Pope of Rome now resided in Germany. Borders were redrawn, with Naples, Tuscany and Savoy the largest winners.

[1] Armies are expensive. Trying to both expand the army and navy over the decades meant something had to be cut, and Rhomania chose armor, horses and guns.

Deleted member 67076

@Sov! Love your work!

For my 1,000th post on alternatehistory.com, I say: great update Sov!

Many thanks~! :)

Is Mainz the new seat of the Imperial claimant to the title Bishop of Rome?

I guess it would be.

Could someone post a link to all the posts in TTL to skip the discussion...
Story posts? Got you right now.

That should be all of them. Please note if I've missed any update!

Great to see you back Sov. And a great piece of work from you once again. I just wanted to know that is there any Emperor ruling in Constantinople or just the military junta waiting to select a new Emperor. Is there going to be an Emperor or are we headed towards military oligarchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.