Religious M-BAM project

Wow looks good ... only one minor correction there is a Catholic district in Thuringia.
Btw like the Muslim neighbourhood in Berlin .(all Hamburg and Bremen neighbourhoods remain faithless?)
upload_2018-9-16_8-17-5.png

berlin is the only state i found further information in the districts (somewhere in a german statistic report of the city government so i dont really know anymore where i can fidn it ^^') while i just took what was given on the main religion map for hamburg and bremen because i didnt find anything for them.

upload_2018-9-16_17-48-42.png

upload_2018-9-16_17-51-10.png

Current progress. Sunni denominations colour. Q: Anyone knows where Wahhabi presence in Bosnia is? Like I know there is some, but dunno where. Also made distinctions among "Lutheran" , "United" and "Refromed " churches of Germany.
I did municipalites of Croatia. Should anyone wish to do Croatia by settlements, here is source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Croatia-Religion-2001.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-16_17-49-18.png
    upload_2018-9-16_17-49-18.png
    460 KB · Views: 466
berlin is the only state i found further information in the districts (somewhere in a german statistic report of the city government so i dont really know anymore where i can fidn it ^^') while i just took what was given on the main religion map for hamburg and bremen because i didnt find anything for them.
I've found your source, p 31:
https://www.destatis.de/GPStatistik...f;jsessionid=F4F3FEB955F99C5A5EE5BFBDE6F5A14C
Also this:
https://www.statistik-berlin-brandenburg.de/Publikationen/Stat_Berichte/2011/SB_A1-5_hj02-10_BE.pdf

Looks good, but I think that this map uses a more reliable source, as it also shows smaller municipalities
View attachment 409564
Should anyone wish to play with municipalities in Germany, I have nothing against it.
Maybe you should use the VT BAM?
Is it finished? We still haven´t finished the orginal project (Volga district of Russia, Subsaharan Africa and South America awaits.)
I'm new here so I don't know if you guys already use this source as a resource but it might help you out for the Middle East areas. They have several detailed maps.
http://gulf2000.columbia.edu/maps.shtml
Yes. Thats the reason I claimed Syria, Iraq and Lebanon straight away :)
upload_2018-9-25_11-22-26.png
Correction. Qusayr is Uniate,not Orthodox

View attachment 416878
Bulgarian municipalities done. Should anyone wish to go more into detail in Croatia and Bulgaria, that is, by settlements, theyre welcome
Good, I would like just to point out something. Almost all bulgarian municipality you labelled as irreligious aren't actually irreligious but rather the majority didn't answer to the census, that's why the maps depict them in an other color. Most censuses opt out to count who didn't answer. You should use the calculation Religion1 / (100 - Unanswered) * 100 to have the right percentage. Of course if unaffiliated people make the majority of the answered population, the municipality should be grey.
The map made from this calculation should be this:
Bulgaria.png

This is the best source available for the US at the county level, but it will take a lot of number-crunching and judgement calls to make the data fit the color scheme.

It should also be noted that this survey is very problematic for a number of reasons. Dozens of denominations did not report any membership numbers. others, especially the LDS, inflated theirs. According to ARDA's numbers, 52% of Americans are not affiliated with any church, but other surveys show that most unaffiliated Americans still consider themselves religious. The reality is that there is no reliable source of county-level religious affiliation data.

For this map, I would recommend using Pew's state-level data.

Last edited:
palette.png

To illustrate the problems with mapping religion in America further, here is Pew's data using the color scheme. Not bad, right? Wrong.

In every state where Agnostic/Secular came first, Christians made up <60% of the population, while Agnostics were in the single digits in nearly every state. Most states were also won with incredibly narrow pluralities- only in the South and Utah did the largest religion top 40% of the population. So, what gives?

1. "Nothing in Particular"

15.8% of Americans do not affiliate with any religion. Like Atheists and Agnostics, they are most common in New England and the Pacific Northwest. Among these Americans, 6.9% consider religion important in their lives. Most do not go to participate in any religious activities, although they also generally pray, believe there is a God and believe in an afterlife. the remaining 8.8% do not consider religion important and generally don't follow any religious principles, but do not identify as Atheist or Agnostic. On this map, I counted the former category separately and grouped the latter category with Agnosticism.

2. The many Church Families

Protestant Christians are split between sizable populations of Methodists, Lutherans, Pentecostals, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Restorationists, and several other smaller denominations. Each splits the Christian population further. As Pew and others have also noticed, within these Church families there are further ideological and racial splits between Mainline, Evangelical, and historically Black churches, and Evangelical and Mainline churches from different families have more in common with each other than their theological brethren.

3. Non-denominational Churches

In most Western states, 5-10% of the population belongs to a non-denominational Protestant church, and this number has consistently grown since 2000. Distinctions between Protestant churches are growing more and more obsolete as large denominations continue to decline.

TL;DR this color scheme isn't very useful for America.