Rejection and Revenge: An alternate 9/11 timeline

Great update, very plausible, and I definitely can’t wait to read the sequel.

The one thing I have a hard time believing is the bolded. Jobs would never have succeeded or been a good fit in Washington. He was very pathological and didn’t fit the place at all.

There's a question mark there for a reason. He's going to be offered a Vito Corleone deal for something huge. You're right, his personality doesn't fit the place at all, but his ego also would make him want to excel at what he's offered.

There's a question mark there for a reason. He's going to be offered a Vito Corleone deal for something huge. You're right, his personality doesn't fit the place at all, but his ego also would make him want to excel at what he's offered.

Even if he took it he’d last three weeks. Jobs was an absolute bastard to work with and was completely pathological in his habits (trust me, I’m from Silicon Valley and I actually know a lot of his friends, such as he had, one of which was my mother; his a-hole personality is an absolute legend around here). He would never have been allowed to work in any place where he wasn’t the boss because there is simply no superior who would ever have put up with his crap.

This is the one and only part of Rejection and Revenge that I simply can’t believe o_O

I don't think I'm able to do that for old chapters?
You can, trust me; I've done it hundreds of times before. At the bottom left of every post on every thread you started, you'll see "Threadmark" in small letters, to the left of "Report" (and, if it's your post, to the right of "Edit"). Click it, select the right ordering (you don't want the threadmark for the first post to come after all the other threadmarks), type in a threadmark name, click the "Add Threadmark" button and Bob's your uncle.

Taking bets now on President Jobs... :evilsmile:

You can, trust me; I've done it hundreds of times before. At the bottom left of every post on every thread you started, you'll see "Threadmark" in small letters, to the left of "Report" (and, if it's your post, to the right of "Edit"). Click it, select the right ordering (you don't want the threadmark for the first post to come after all the other threadmarks), type in a threadmark name, click the "Add Threadmark" button and Bob's your uncle.

But I'm not Balfour!

Chapter LXXX -- The End
LXXX
Berbera, Somaliland
October 5, 1993
3:39 AM

Satellite surveillance proved to be very effective in finding the target, as the possession of a satellite dish in an impoverished, war-stricken province marked a property as belonging to a somebody, and if you were a somebody, then you were leading people that were unfriendly to United Nations and United States interests. As it were, by analyzing recon photos taken of the city over the past six months or so, the one property that had a satellite dish newly installed stood out like a nasty pimple on the face of a teenager. Further viewing of those photos showed movement in and out of the property, including a convoy of pickup trucks that showed up in photos of suspected terrorist camps in Somalia proper a day later.

With a target identified, Chairman Jeremiah went to the President for approval to send the Marines in. Clinton didn't even hesitate, merely approved the mission without even reviewing it. Were any of the President's old compatriots from the 1972 McGovern campaign around, they would have been astonished to see how the onetime hippie and military skeptic had become so much of a hawk that he didn't even do a second look over a mission that could cause extreme heartburn if it failed. The admiral, on the other hand, was pleased that there was no pushback at all. He returned to the Pentagon, called General Mundy into his office, and informed him that the mission was a go. Mundy's face lit up; grinning, he told Jeremiah, "David, I'm going to make sure my men bring back whoever was the ringleader of this assault on us and drop him giftwrapped onto your front porch." Jeremiah chuckled. "Carl, please, let's not scare my neighbors. Drop him in the courtyard off the A-ring if you feel the need." Mundy laughed. "You got it, Chairman and Leader of Joint Chiefs."

Mundy headed to the NMCC, where the secure radios to give the GO order were. He reached Marine Lieutenant Colonel James L. Mattis, commanding officer of the Marine force being sent after the compound. Mattis was instructed to do everything possible to keep any high-value targets alive; in this case, high-value targets was anyone who was dressed nicer, hiding in an interior room, and didn't resemble the run-of-the-mill Somalis that were foot soldiers in the insurgency. The lieutenant colonel acknowledged the order, hung up the phone, and went to round up the pilots, who were in their "ready room," in this case nothing more than a nice tent, drinking cold Coca-Colas and playing cards. The last hand was quickly laid down, and the winner eagerly collected the quarters, dumping them into a pocket in his duffel bag as the rest gathered up their flight helmets. They were already in their flight suits, as they had been since arriving two days prior, so it was a quick walk to the helicopters, which they began preflighting as the soldiers who were sleeping were rustled out of bed. Camouflage paint was applied to the faces of the whiter Marines, but the black ones saw no need, as did the Ethiopians. All the soldiers performed their weapons checks, and the Marines were pleased to see the Ethiopian soldiers took the checks as seriously as they did.

By 3:15 am, the soldiers had received their mission briefing, including where they were rappelling at, and double-timed it into the Super Stallions. The pilots fired up the engines and lifted off into the black night. It wasn't the best conditions for a stealth assault, as the moon had just moved into a waning gibbous, with 82% visible and few clouds, but it was nighttime, and even guards who had the nighttime watch were unlikely to be very alert at this point. It didn't take very long for the Stallions to reach their rendezvous point. Two helicopters dropped off their men half a klick from the compound, and the other two loitered behind (this didn't count the two backup helicopters, waiting outside the city limits with engines idling), waiting for the signal.

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 2.12.10 PM.png

The bin Laden compound, identified by its newly installed satellite dish, as it was filmed by reconnaissance satellites prior to the Mattis Raid.

Mattis led his Marines and Ethiopian contingent near the front gate of the compound (gate being a misnomer, as solid wood doors eight feet tall barred the way. Two sentries on the roof were dispatched by snipers from the other helicopters hovering nearby--the sound had drawn the notice of the sentries, and they were crouching on the roof in the shadows. It would've worked, but the Marine snipers had AN/PVS-4 infrared scopes, and one might as well have been in the broad daylight. The sentries were felled, Mattis gave the signal for the choppers to move in, and as they approached, sappers blew the front gates open. Marines and Ethiopian soldiers poured into the compound, and bin Laden's Arab Brigade moved out to meet them. The attackers took cover as the defenders moved forward with more substantial weaponry than they'd predicted, including grenade launchers. Bin Laden's men began to press their advantage, only to be rudely interrupted by the second wave of Marines and Ethiopians descending from above while the two Super Stallions covered them with fire from rear-mounted machine guns. An example of the "Powell Doctrine" on a small scale, the overwhelming assault was too much for the Arab men, who were steadily mowed down by their attackers, who then moved inside the building.

A smaller contingent of defenders were inside, and for a few minutes, the fighting resembled that of Stalingrad, hallway to hallway, room to room. Both Ethiopians and Marines were wounded or killed during the battle, those numbers substantially reduced by the body armor the Marines had generously provided to the Ethiopians, but armor only goes so far, and about a fifth of the men who'd invaded this compound were already casualties. Lt. Col. Mattis was technically a casualty, having taken a round through his left bicep, but he refused treatment and continued to command his men, albeit from the outside with a small guard around him. Inside, the lead elements made their way upstairs, fighting through additional resistance until they came to a room at the end of the hallway. The door was broken open and a flashbang grenade thrown in, only to discover an empty room with a window open. A rope had been tied to the bedpost, and the Marines looked out to see a tall figure running in the shadows. They radioed to alert the men outside, but it wasn't necessary. The terrorist leader rounded a corner and ran straight into Mattis and his guard. Bin Laden was wrestled down to the ground as Mattis knelt down to look him in the face. "Well, you don't look like a Somalian to me, son. What is a Saudi man doing in Somalia, hmm?"

Bin Laden spat at the ground. "I will tell you nothing, you imperialist dog!" he replied in heavily accented English. Mattis chuckled. "Son, trust me, you'll start talking to us. Everyone always talks. It's just a matter of time." He motioned to his guard. "Alright, let's get him on a chopper and out to the Wasp (the USS Wasp was a helicopter carrier detailed to the Persian Gulf, which had been alternating between Somalia and Kuwait, depending on mission needs). Get me Major Bell over here, he can handle intel collection and cleanup. I'm going to head back with our new guest here and get someone to fill in this hole in my arm." "Yessir," replied the lieutenant who was leading the small guard detail. One of the Super Stallions descended into the courtyard, where Mattis boarded with a squad of Marines, the wounded soldiers, and Osama bin Laden. It then turned northward and headed offshore with the two backup Super Stallions, whose men were no longer needed. The remaining soldiers and Marines began combing the compound for intelligence, a mission that would end around 6:30 am, as dawn's first rays began shining through.

On the Wasp, Mattis had the bullet removed from his bicep, an injury that would keep him out of combat duties for a while but also earn him another medal or two, and was stitched up. He headed off to the officers' quarters to get some rest. Osama bin Laden was placed in the brig and given breakfast, which he refused (the cook had made bacon, which the devout bin Laden considered a personal insult. The cook was later reprimanded for his carelessness, but the sentry gladly enjoyed some extra chow). The mission success was transmitted back to D.C., with details to follow, but the news that a potential high-value target had been captured was greeted with joy in the halls of the capital. In a few hours, the interrogation would begin, and the NSC was hopeful that useful information would be extracted from the tall Arab sitting in the bowels of the Wasp.

The information that would eventually be gleaned from bin Laden would shock and stun Washington. The fires he'd lit across the world would burn for years to come. The Saudi government had rejected Osama bin Laden, and he'd gotten his revenge in spades.

The End....for now.

Rejection and Revenge will return in 2019.

Geon

Donor
I wonder why in this TL bin Laden survived as opposed to going down trying to reach his gun in OTL. It seems to me bin Laden would have done his best to ensure he never fell into the hands of "the infidels".

I wonder why in this TL bin Laden survived as opposed to going down trying to reach his gun in OTL. It seems to me bin Laden would have done his best to ensure he never fell into the hands of "the infidels".

Because he wants credit. He doesn't have his VHS network and eager al-Jazeera to play his tapes. This will be explored in the sequel.

So it been a while since I read this correct me the major difference nuke across the USA nuke Iran’s by the USA and that it right

So it been a while since I read this correct me the major difference nuke across the USA nuke Iran’s by the USA and that it right

Three portable nukes go off in America, one in Riyadh. Israel stops bomber. U.S. and Israel become convinced Iran did it, nukes the hell out of them. Plenty more after, but that's the central stuff, so to say.

And so this story ends with the terrorist leader Osama bin Laden a prisoner of the Americans... If I were in his shoes, I'd think twice about taking being served bacon (even by accident) as an insult... methinks the Americans are at the very least not going to be delicate with him, considering that large parts of New York, Los Angeles and Las Vegas, along with their embassy in Riyadh (as well as the embassies of a bunch of America's allies) are now radioactive craters and over 100,000 American citizens are dust in the wind...

Anyway... Great work on this timeline - I started following it when it began and I've being waiting to see how it would finally wrap up... so there's a sequel in the works? Looking forward to reading it... keep up the good work! :)

Well Clinton has just had his Falklands moment this will get him reelected I think.
And then it comes out that the terrorist was a Saudi Sunni (because you know its going to leak) which means the US massacred... The wrong people...

That's an own goal of biblical proportions and could destroy US foreign relations for a generation.

And then it comes out that the terrorist was a Saudi Sunni (because you know its going to leak) which means the US massacred... The wrong people...

That's an own goal of biblical proportions and could destroy US foreign relations for a generation.

Or Bin Laden is never seen again and the US leadership manage to keep a lid on the Bin Laden-Saudi-Iran connection. The narrative is managed with only selected people being briefed from the US and Allies. It still 'lights fires around the world' but it does not explode all over the media. After many years it might come out and tarnish Clinton and co later- but immediately nope.