References: Prototypes, transitional and ephemeral uniforms

Officer of the Greater Poland Army (1918-1919).

podporucznik.jpg

podporucznik.jpg

NECRO !

LONG_Guardpoint.jpg

LONG_Courthouse.jpg

Posted recently by Marc in the Things that look like AH thread. These uniforms and helmets are little more than costumes - the guys wearing them took part in a US Army exercise in 1952 and represented the fictional opposing force that took over a Texan town.

I've found an interesting site about the history of the Czechoslovak legions during the Russian Civil War and there were several pages dedicated to equipment, including prototypes or rare items.

Here's a Tsarist Russian "french", a jacket that never made it into mass production as a standard part of the uniform, but was worn by some of the officers and military clerks. A few frenches were also confiscated, modified and worn by said Czechoslovak troops in Russia.

Frenc.gif

French uniform

WhiteUniformsA.jpg

One of the most curious episodes in the history of military costume in the Napoleonic era was surely the experimental use of white uniforms by French infantry during the early years of the First Empire. The French army had been clothed in white since its first un-iformed troops were raised during the reign of Louis XIV and, in fact, the army had only reluctantly traded that colour for a more egalitarian blue during the tumultuous years of the French Revolution. Yet when Napoleon attempted to re-introduce the white coats in 1806, their return aroused little enthusiasm. Their use was judged economically impractical, and within a year the project had been quietly discontinued, leaving only the unusual sartorial note of white-coated French soldiers on the battlefields of Austerlitz, Jena/Auerstadt, Eylau and Friedland to mark its passing. It would seem that even in the hey-day of colourful military dress, traditions were easy to eliminate and difficult to revive.

WhiteUniformsA.jpg

French experimental helmets

1101733.jpeg

''t seems that, at first, the cavalry used adaptations of the pre-War helmets. Then, before the Adrian, there were some attempts to introduce a type of helmet similarly based on the Fire Brigade type. Cavalry helmet M15, based on the 1874 helmet. This is the Officers' version; more careful design, to the Other Ranks helmet. It was the last version of the cavalry helmet before the adoption of the Adrian."

1101733.jpeg

View attachment 174180

''t seems that, at first, the cavalry used adaptations of the pre-War helmets. Then, before the Adrian, there were some attempts to introduce a type of helmet similarly based on the Fire Brigade type. Cavalry helmet M15, based on the 1874 helmet. This is the Officers' version; more careful design, to the Other Ranks helmet. It was the last version of the cavalry helmet before the adoption of the Adrian."

Note to self: Read the darn thread before posting. :eek:

Funny, it's really close in appearance to the "French Stahlhelm" seen in EdT's FABR TL. :)

They had a great uniform already to go, why not use this??

My thoughts exactly. I've already ranted in this thread a few months ago about the poor choice of standard field uniforms in WWI France. I never understood why they didn't give up on the blue ones. Was it too expensive to replace them all in a reasonable time span ?

thumbnail.aspx

Different styles of the Air Force's Billy Mitchel Heritage style uniform, which the Air Force was testing but put on hold abopting indefinitely due budget constraints, and
image007.jpg

Transitional informal black air force dress Uniform.

EDIT: My apoligies for the link in the male picture of the Hap Arnold Uniform, I'm not sure how I did that.

Last edited: