Reds! Official Fanfiction Thread (Part Two)

He's saying the routine horrors of the aristocratic state were far worse than the exceptional horrors of the French Revolution. That no one counts those millions dead from the unjust system of monarchy and feudalism, but tallies every death at the hands of the Revolution. That the French Reign of Terror was, even with its mass executions, still less harsh than the Ancien Regime.

Oh I see: despite the terror of the French Revolution, one must not be tempted to wear rose colored glasses about the Ancien Regime.

I guess when people ITTL complain about the terrors that being done in the name of communism, they'll point out that capitalism had horrors daily, and that a year of drumhead trials is nothing compared to a lifetime of poverty and horror-which is what the capitalist era was about.

But OTL, the Soviet regime killed more people then the tsars did, so the "better than" argument doesn't hold as much weight in our history.

But OTL, the Soviet regime killed more people then the tsars did, so the "better than" argument doesn't hold as much weight in our history.

That the Tsars did directly, probably. That the whole economic and politic system of aristocratic Russia did though? Maybe not.

In the Russian Empire, the famine was almost every year (From the beginning of the accession of Nicholas the Bloody to the War with Japan, there were 6 hunger periods). You know how many people died on penalties! Stalin is certainly a bastard, but he is much better than the most good Tsar.

By the same token, the number of victims of Stalinism is likely to be exaggerated - from 24 to 39 in the camps, 3-7 million people were imprisoned. About 700 thousand to Million were shot.

Last edited:
That the Tsars did directly, probably. That the whole economic and politic system of aristocratic Russia did though? Maybe not.

Are you referring to the general living standards of OTL Soviet Russia-which sadly enough are higher in 1990 than in Russia today.

In that case, I guess.

In the Russian Empire, the famine was almost every year (From the beginning of the accession of Nicholas the Bloody to the War with Japan, there were 6 hunger periods). You know how many people died on penalties! Stalin is certainly a bastard, but he is much better than the most good Tsar.

By the same token, the number of victims of Stalinism is likely to be exaggerated - from 24 to 39 in the camps, 3-7 million people were imprisoned. About 700 thousand Million were shot.

To be fair, the USSR didn't have a perfect track record with feeding its population either. The single minded focus on industrial workers over peasants is partially to blame. But I agree it was an improvement when considering supplying the people with basic goods.

I won't go into the debate about Stalinism.

Baphomet's Revolution (1981) (By migolito)
So you know the sci fi posts I mentioned earlier? Here's a short one, a semi-sequel to the End Point Trilogy post.

Baphomet's Revolution (1981)

Format: a 4 episode miniseries made up of 20 minute episodes, though it would later be edited into a single 80 minute film which would be the most commonly viewed version until the series' DVD release.

... simply put, the animation collectives involved had put too many resources into their End Point adaptation for the end result to justify the expenditure on its own terms. So they went with the only sane option: they recycled as much of their work from The End Point as they could in order to make something else with as little effort as possible. The most obvious example is the protagonist, Lei Federov, who looks like a younger Wei, with many of her movements being recycled Wei animations. If you know what you are looking for though, you'll be able to find a lot: backgrounds from the garden settlements of the Platonic men were recoloured; designs for stairways and corridors and bridges were copied onto a dark background in order to be used as catacombs; and here and the background for a Wilde man palace was just darkened, sometimes with an occult symbol added on a banner or just as graffiti.

Even the setting details are similar to The End Point, to such a degree that fans sometimes speculate that it is a sequel to the animated series. Lei Federov's culture are blatantly Platonic Men, with Lei herself being of Chinese and Soviet origin; Baphomet's religion/culture being a radically different take on the Wilde Men drawing from Aleister Crowley and Livy's scandalised accounts of bacchanalian Roman mystery cults instead of Oscar Wilde and West German reactionary culture; and an early discussion in the first episode says that a capitalist remnant that seems comparable to the Cold Men exists (though they are never seen).

Fortunately, the creative teams put more effort into the story...

Lei Federov is a spy whose normal job is to infiltrate and investigate the capitalist remnant. She is called in by the higher council (the closest thing to a governing body at this point) for an unusual job: the higher council has come to suspect that a religious leader of sorts calling himself Comrade Baphomet intends to make himself a dictator and resurrect a society comparable to the old AFS, and they want Lei to find out if this is true and if necessary sabotage his project. Lei is reluctant to spy on someone who is a comrade until proven guilty, albeit an eccentric comrade descended from a British aristocratic family, but given the risk agrees to it.

The first episode ends with her having successfully infiltrated the citadel of Baphomet's cult disguised as a new recruit. The second episode follows her confirming that the cult are stockpiling weapons and supplies and are training for something, but don't seem to be planning any attack in the sense the council were worried about and instead are busy studying some sort of time-space anomaly. The third episode, following on from the second episode's cliff hanger where Lei is discovered, follows Lei's increasingly desperate attempts to escape, which ultimately fail.

The final episode is probably where the fanbase for the miniseries comes from. Beginning with Lei being brought before Baphomet and his bodyguard/lovers, she outright accuses him of trying to launch a reactionary revolt as the Council suspected. Baphomet responds with the endearingly sincere line:

"Well gosh, nobody here wants that."

As it turns out, Baphomet and his cult are communists themselves, the time-space anomaly they were studying is a stable wormhole leading into the past, and that they intend to go back and liberate the earth's past so that all of human history may live in a world where "love is the law". Lei tries to convince him not to do this. First, she argues that the cult would be putting the present at risk, but Baphomet insists that Lei's present is in no danger as "the universe doesn't conform to human notions of causality: as long as all the particles in your body are present the universe doesn't care if their existence doesn't make any sense". When Lei them tries to convince Baphomet that it is the choice of the people of the past when they move on to communism Baphomet dismisses this by saying that they are not just making the choice for themselves but for many generations of their descendants who are hurt and trapped by the choices their ancestors made.

Realising that she's not going to convince Baphomet, Lei manages to briefly escape and tries to sabotage the power supply for Baphomet's fleet. She fails, and ends the series captured once again. The last shot of the series is Baphomet's fleet of Temple-Warships flying into the wormhole with no implication of what occurs afterwards.

- Entry from Soviet Animation, a watcher's guide and history.

Last edited:

BP Booker

Banned
So they went with the only sane option: they recycled as much of their work from The End Point as they could in order to make something else with as little effort as possible. The most obvious example is the protagonist, Lei Federov, who looks like a younger Wei, with many of her movements being recycled Wei animations. If you know what you are looking for though, you'll be able to find a lot: backgrounds from the garden settlements of the Platonic men were recoloured; designs for stairways and corridors and bridges were copied onto a dark background in order to be used as catacombs; and here and the background for a Wilde man palace was just darkened, sometimes with an occult symbol added on a banner or just as graffiti.

Ghost of Walt Disney and dancing Snow White Strikes again. 20 years after his death, in another country, in another universe.

Are you being facetious?

It's a 4chan meme.
HOhgA8D.png

Ghost of Walt Disney and dancing Snow White Strikes again. 20 years after his death, in another country, in another universe.

Its a common way of saving money and labour time OTL (reusing/recycling backgrounds and animation I mean, not summoning the ghost of Walt Disney and dancing Snow White), due to how labour intensive an art animation generally is. One innovative recycling of stuff that I can remember off the top of my head is the season 4 Steven Universe episode Buddy's Book, which was basically an exercise in reusing a load of old backgrounds in order to teach kids about unreliable narrators.

What the Yog-Sothoth? What kind of mental pathology?

Basic cultural environment of 4chan: anonymity, edge lord humour, trying to out do each other on the 'breaking taboos south park humour' until it just first becomes banal then ironic then meta, total detachment from the material world and any kind of consequences. The same cultural environment where Nick Land can become a popular philosopher.

ANDROMEDA (1988) (By Mr.E)
Andromeda

1988 5 episode OVA based on the novels "Andromeda", "The Heart of the Serpent" and "Bull's Hour" by Ivan Yefremov.

The anthology series splits the first novel "Andromeda" into two parts. The first episode is the various stories exploring the world of Andromeda, a post-scarcity society, in particular the interworkings of the "Great Circle", a council of various planetary systems, and their troubles with communications between each of them (FTL communications unavailable in this world). The main plot is that of Darr Veter, and his attempts to find a successor as head of the Global Space Agency. The Second episode "The Iron Star", follows the first part of Andromeda, exploring the first interstellar mission, to the titular star. While going fairly smoothly at first, the mission goes awry when they are caught in the grasp of the star itself, which pulls them towards another planet, where they find hostile lifeforms and the remnants of another civilization.

The third episode is a fairly straightforward adaptation of "The Heart of the Serpent,", with first contact made with an alien ship, and the tension onboard as to whether the other ship will be hostile towards them.

"The Bull's Hour" is split into the final two episodes, with FTL travel finally achieved, and a crew is sent to the distant planet "Tormance", which was colonized by humans before the era of the Great Circle. The society is heavily bureaucratic and run by an aging oligarchy, one which is starting to reform and collapse. The arrival of the crew further initiates further change and major reforms to the system (the original story was an allegory for the changes occurring in the USSR during the early Cultural Leap).

The series garned positive reviews and success. It was part of a wave of anime and OVAs adapting works of Soviet science fiction (including Aelita in 1985, Amphibian Man and Roadside Panic in 1986, and Red Star in 1988). It would become a minor classic in the FBU, albeit in a heavily edited form.

------------

Oh thank you - you did me something nice. True....
Andromeda
The main plot is that of Darr Veter, and his attempts to find a successor as head of the Global Space Agency.
In the book in general, he is recorded as "the head of External Stations". Do not you think that your version looks too ... bourgeois.
The third episode is a fairly straightforward adaptation of "The Heart of the Serpent,", with first contact made with an alien ship, and the tension onboard as to whether the other ship will be hostile towards them.
Just in the original, the earthlings have no reason to suspect the aliens in ill will. According to the philosophy of Ivan Efremov, a civilization not rationalized will die from wars or man-made disasters much earlier than they have the opportunity to organize interstellar travel.
"The Bull's Hour" is split into the final two episodes, with FTL travel finally achieved, and a crew is sent to the distant planet "Tormance", which was colonized by humans before the era of the Great Circle. The society is heavily bureaucratic and run by an aging oligarchy, one which is starting to reform and collapse. The arrival of the crew further initiates further change and major reforms to the system (the original story was an allegory for the changes occurring in the USSR during the early Cultural Leap).
As far as I remember, the original novel was much larger in philosophical terms.

P.S. - I understand that this is not a topic for personal communication, but I will say it all. Catastrophe - I fell ill.

In the book in general, he is recorded as "the head of External Stations". Do not you think that your version looks too ... bourgeois.
I don't remember what it was exactly called in the book, and I only saw the film for my Russian Sci-Fi class.

Just in the original, the earthlings have no reason to suspect the aliens in ill will. According to the philosophy of Ivan Efremov, a civilization not rationalized will die from wars or man-made disasters much earlier than they have the opportunity to organize interstellar travel.
It ends the same way, but without that suspicion or tension, there wouldn't be much of a story.

Catastrophe - I fell ill.
I hope you feel better.

I don't remember what it was exactly called in the book, and I only saw the film for my Russian Sci-Fi class.
Must be there was an adapted translation.
I hope you feel better.
Thank you!
This now feels like a correspondence between contributors to a literary magazine in the early 20th century. Thank you for wording it this way, you made my day.
Sorry, but when the temperature is 38.9, this is a real disaster.

I wonder if ITTL America has epic, stirring orchestral compositions like this, or this. These mighty compositions seem to be the standard of any Communist regime.

How does ITTL America treat old patriotic songs from the Constitutional US. Like, if you sang God Bless America, or America the Beautiful, would that get you in a lot of trouble? Did Kate Smith sing the Internationale instead?