Reds fanfic

No, it was something that happened before you joined. A Social Democrat, called the Young Contranian made a fan post back when the thread a Red Dawn was still going, which had a few characters from his interpretation of modern day White Cuba have a conversation ITTL and "RB" acted that the fact that the present generation of White Cubans learned Spanish as well as English as abhorrent and got "banned" by Jane the Admin. Back then RB was a lot more of a caricature of what the right of the FBU would be than just a right winger who's a somewhat of an asshole even in the canon stuff and a lot more people back then seem to have genuinely hate his guts in the real life thread than they do now.
Yeah. In some of my discussions, I try to make him also dislike other things other than communism, like Objectivism or the Church of Dianetics, just to give him more character.

All posts I make for the alt-AH.com occur in chronological sequence. The characters have grown and changed; the RB of now is older and a bit more level headed than he was when first introduced.

If you need a real lightning rod of hate, the recently introduced MyHonorIsLoyalty is a good subject; a British born germanophile and crypto Nazi who is smart enough to never say anything outright banworthy, and like many of his ilk, has managed to blend into the far right Franco British milleau, to the consternation of people like RB

If you need a real lightning rod of hate, the recently introduced MyHonorIsLoyalty is a good subject; a British born germanophile and crypto Nazi who is smart enough to never say anything outright banworthy, and like many of his ilk, has managed to blend into the far right Franco British milleau, to the consternation of people like RB
Plus, his name is just sucky.

I mean, at least be original!

Did you get the impression that UpNorth, my character, was caricature, or do you think he was a real person whose views go down the middle?

I think your character is a very good character. A lot of nuance to him.

My character, by contrast, doesn't seem very nuanced, but then again Alt-AH Deleon's Crew is supposed to be me, and I wouldn't exactly say that I appear to be nuanced in real life.

Still working on the Maggie Pie thing, here's something I wrote ages ago and forgot to post:
-------------------------------------------

Battlefield Earth

L. Ron Hubbard began work on Battlefield Earth in late 1979, while in hiding in the French countryside. It was published by Author Services, the publishing arm of the Church of Dianetics, in 1981. Promoted as Hubbard's "return to the genre that first saw his genius", the book is set in the year 3000, where "man is an endangered species" and the Earth is ruled by the sadistic, totalitarian, collectivist Psychlo Federation. Our hero, Jonnie Goodboy Tyler, is bored with life and his remote mountain village in "what was once the Canadian Rockies", and decides to strike out on his own. He ends up being captured by Terl, a mid-ranking Psychlo bureaucrat who, as the novel reminds us, is "clever, but not intelligent", and put to work in a "gold mining collective" with other captured humans. Jonnie, who can speak Psychlo, inspires a revolution among his fellow humans, and with a band of warrior Scots and German soldiers, he launches a daring attack on the Psychlo homeworld, liberating Earth. Jonnie and the rest of the humans then must deal with the aftermath, including alien loan sharks and prisoners of war.

The book, while a bestseller (thanks to the Church of Dianetics manipulating the charts), was critically panned by most reviewers--The Economist panned it as "barbiturates in print", referencing Mark Twain's review of the Book of Mormon. Hubbard, however, seemed to see something in it that no one else saw. Not only did he make a soundtrack to the book, Space Jazz (famously ranked by New Musical Express as #1 in their list of "Worst Albums in Human History") he announced that he would produce and direct a feature length film adaptation.

After being passed by both London Films, the Rank Organisation, and MGM UK, production began in 1983 by Brilliant Films, an in-house production company of the Church. Auckland was chosen as the main filming location, as the weak New Zealand dollar at the time meant that costs would be cheaper. The film starred Michael Caine as Terl (who, in an interview with Le Monde, commented “I’ve never seen it, I’ve heard it was dreadful. But I have seen the house it built me, and it’s fantastic!”), as well as Neil Gaiman as Johnnie Goodboy Tyler (at the time, his father David was head of PR. Gaiman left the church after completing filming, and has since refused to ever talk either the Church or the film. His father left as well to avoid having to "disconnect" with his son).

Filming was troubled - the tax breaks given to the production by the New Zealand Film Commission was controversial during a recession. Hubbard was out of his element in the director's chair: according to Caine, "he was the least involved director I had ever seen...he only got out of his chair to get food or cigarettes". The weather was uncooperative, with progress stopped by storms. The Rocky Mountains set was built on Mount Taupiri, which was a sacred location and burial ground of the Waikato tribe, leading to protests from Maori activists (L. Ron Hubbard did not endear himself to the Maori people by calling the activists “wogs”, obviously unaware of what that term means). Finally, the brutal conditions of many crew members (most of which were members of the Sea Org) led to a class action lawsuit that almost crippled the church. The stress of finishing up the film contributed to Hubbard’s death from a stroke. (The Church insists that he finished the film before his death, but anonymous crew members told the News of the World that second unit director Roger Christian finished the last few scenes while Hubbard was in the emergency room).

Despite all these troubles, the church expected the film to be a blockbuster hit, signing merchandising deals with toy giant Palitoy and fast food giant Maggie Pie (who made Battlefield Earth the theme of the first ever "Little Meal", which would later be renamed the Fun Meal). An internal memo from Author Services hyped the film as “the perfect pro-civilization counterpoint to the Red propaganda of Star Wars”. Since the film only covered the first part of the novel, a “Part I” was hubristically included in the title sequence.

It was almost as if they were setting it up to fail. The film’s premiere at the London Film Festival led to mass walkouts and refunds. Critics were harsh on it - The Daily Express described it as being “a crime against the medium”, Le Monde called it “celluloid garbage”, and The Daily Mirror called it “physically painful”. Many articles were written decrying the racist caricatures in the film (including an African mongrel tribe and a submissive Chinese family). Audiences dismissed it, leading to a Guinness World Record for "biggest box office flop". Palitoy lost so much money on it that they were bought out by MRF, their distributor in the Indian market. Maggie Pie quickly withdrew the kid's meal toys after the opening weekend, which ironically turned them into rare collector's items. The Church was nearly bankrupt, and only stayed afloat by pressuring the Franco-British parliament to recognize it as a religion. David Icke, Hubbard’s successor, supposedly told Church members to never talk about the film and deny its existence, and it has never been released on home video anywhere in the capitalist sphere (outside of an extremely rare release in Malaysia).

The film would've been placed in the annals of history as a miserable failure...if, ironically enough, it hadn't been discovered by the Reds.

Someway, somehow, a pirated copy had made its way across the pond into America, and landed in the hands of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 producers. The resulting episode of the show, often considered one of the best by fans, led to increased interest in the film as a new classic in the bad movie canon, and demand for the movie skyrocketed. Bootleg copies of varying quality circulated on colleges campuses and conventions, eventually leading to a new, high-quality DVD release co-produced by Mike Nelson (and sourced from the copy used on MST3K, which was jokingly advertised on the DVD cover as "the highest quality copy we'll probably ever see"). In the Soviet Union, Russian comedian Dmitry "Goblin" Puchkov re-dubbed the movie as Seven Versts to the Stars, which became massively popular on the internet and spawned the "Free Translation" movement. With the birth of file-sharing, French and British leftists could finally get their hands on a copy to show as a part of Anti-Reaction Movie Nights, and the Church of Dianetics' lawsuits over these pirated copies have ironically led to a greater awareness about the film among the general Franco-British public.

Jonnie, who can speak Psychlo, inspires a revolution among his fellow humans, and with a band of warrior Scots and German soldiers, he launches a daring attack on the Psychlo homeworld, liberating Earth. Jonnie and the rest of the humans then must deal with the aftermath, including alien loan sharks and prisoners of war.

The book, while a bestseller (thanks to the Church of Dianetics manipulating the charts), was critically panned by most reviewers--The Economist panned it as "barbiturates in print", referencing Mark Twain's review of the Book of Mormon. Hubbard, however, seemed to see something in it that no one else saw. Not only did he make a soundtrack to the book, Space Jazz (famously ranked by New Musical Express as #1 in their list of "Worst Albums in Human History") he announced that he would produce and direct a feature length film adaptation.

After being passed by both London Films, the Rank Organisation, and MGM UK, production began in 1983 by Brilliant Films, an in-house production company of the Church. Auckland was chosen as the main filming location, as the weak New Zealand dollar at the time meant that costs would be cheaper. The film starred Michael Caine as Terl (who, in an interview with Le Monde, commented “I’ve never seen it, I’ve heard it was dreadful. But I have seen the house it built me, and it’s fantastic!”), as well as Neil Gaiman as Johnnie Goodboy Tyler (at the time, his father David was head of PR. Gaiman left the church after completing filming, and has since refused to ever talk either the Church or the film. His father left as well to avoid having to "disconnect" with his son).

Filming was troubled - the tax breaks given to the production by the New Zealand Film Commission was controversial during a recession. Hubbard was out of his element in the director's chair: according to Caine, "he was the least involved director I had ever seen...he only got out of his chair to get food or cigarettes". The weather was uncooperative, with progress stopped by storms. The Rocky Mountains set was built on Mount Taupiri, which was a sacred location and burial ground of the Waikato tribe, leading to protests from Maori activists (L. Ron Hubbard did not endear himself to the Maori people by calling the activists “wogs”, obviously unaware of what that term means). Finally, the brutal conditions of many crew members (most of which were members of the Sea Org) led to a class action lawsuit that almost crippled the church. The stress of finishing up the film contributed to Hubbard’s death from a stroke. (The Church insists that he finished the film before his death, but anonymous crew members told the News of the World that second unit director Roger Christian finished the last few scenes while Hubbard was in the emergency room).

Despite all these troubles, the church expected the film to be a blockbuster hit, signing merchandising deals with toy giant Palitoy and fast food giant Maggie Pie (who made Battlefield Earth the theme of the first ever "Little Meal", which would later be renamed the Fun Meal). An internal memo from Author Services hyped the film as “the perfect pro-civilization counterpoint to the Red propaganda of Star Wars”. Since the film only covered the first part of the novel, a “Part I” was hubristically included in the title sequence.

It was almost as if they were setting it up to fail. The film’s premiere at the London Film Festival led to mass walkouts and refunds. Critics were harsh on it - The Daily Express described it as being “a crime against the medium”, Le Monde called it “celluloid garbage”, and The Daily Mirror called it “physically painful”. Many articles were written decrying the racist caricatures in the film (including an African mongrel tribe and a submissive Chinese family). Audiences dismissed it, leading to a Guinness World Record for "biggest box office flop". Palitoy lost so much money on it that they were bought out by MRF, their distributor in the Indian market. Maggie Pie quickly withdrew the kid's meal toys after the opening weekend, which ironically turned them into rare collector's items. The Church was nearly bankrupt, and only stayed afloat by pressuring the Franco-British parliament to recognize it as a religion. David Icke, Hubbard’s successor, supposedly told Church members to never talk about the film and deny its existence, and it has never been released on home video anywhere in the capitalist sphere (outside of an extremely rare release in Malaysia).

The film would've been placed in the annals of history as a miserable failure...if, ironically enough, it hadn't been discovered by the Reds.

Someway, somehow, a pirated copy had made its way across the pond into America, and landed in the hands of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 producers. The resulting episode of the show, often considered one of the best by fans, led to increased interest in the film as a new classic in the bad movie canon, and demand for the movie skyrocketed. Bootleg copies of varying quality circulated on colleges campuses and conventions, eventually leading to a new, high-quality DVD release co-produced by Mike Nelson (and sourced from the copy used on MST3K, which was jokingly advertised on the DVD cover as "the highest quality copy we'll probably ever see"). In the Soviet Union, Russian comedian Dmitry "Goblin" Puchkov re-dubbed the movie as Seven Versts to the Stars, which became massively popular on the internet and spawned the "Free Translation" movement. With the birth of file-sharing, French and British leftists could finally get their hands on a copy to show as a part of Anti-Reaction Movie Nights, and the Church of Dianetics' lawsuits over these pirated copies have ironically led to a greater awareness about the film among the general Franco-British public.
Do you know "Goblin"-Puchkov!? Funny.

Last edited:

My Christmas gift Forum. As much as I am a Russian - is the subject of the Russian politicians better made me. Plus I finished editing the alternate versions of themselves (Iskander).

Libertarian Party of the Soviet Union :

Leader - Udaltsov, Sergey S.
Secretary - Baburova Anastasia Eduardovna

Workers' League

Leader - Tulkin, Victor Arkad'evich
Secretary - Elmeev, Vasily Yakovlevich

Kadets

Leader - Slabunova, Emilia Edgardovna
Secretary - Yavlinsky, Grigory

Communist Party of Ukraine
Yulia Tymoshenko
Petr Nikolaevich Symonenko

Radical Syndicalists
Mikheil Saakashvili
Vasiliy Starostin

Soviet Values
Vladimir Eidelstein
Sergey Kurginyan

Last edited:

cgomes

Banned
Scientology just can't stop existing huh?

Did LRH get into sex magic rituals with rocket scientists in this timeline too?

Scientology just can't stop existing huh?

Did LRH get into sex magic rituals with rocket scientists in this timeline too?
No, he left for Cuba in 1935, before Jack Parsons ever gets to interact with him. I think Parsons would either go into Anarchist thought (given that is more individualistic than most strains of communism) or a more moderate version of his pagan belief.

cgomes

Banned
No, he left for Cuba in 1935, before Jack Parsons ever gets to interact with him. I think Parsons would either go into Anarchist thought (given that is more individualistic than most strains of communism) or a more moderate version of his pagan belief.
There's always the FBU for his mystical wacko needs. And england's the land of crowley after all!

Realized I'd forgotten to respond to this.

I think Killing Crow would be a symbol of the revolution, better than Captain America: she's not been born with power, she's had to seize it for herself. That's what makes her so well-renowned.

Her fans will certainly believe that to be the case early on in the Killing Crow's run.

One of the defining characteristics of the Solaris 'verse (the successor name given to the imprint which inherits the setting, in the sense that many people see their work as the next best thing to the original source material, from ANCC when it folds in 1963) is taking a highly cynical but ultimately more realistic on the superhero genre. It's something I hope to reflect given that Evans begins the ANCC as a response to what he perceives as a glossing over of many social problems that still remain in the UASR. At the beginning the Killing Crow is a go-getter meant to appeal to teenage audiences; by the present day I suspect that many of her contemporary heroes and heroines will be much more archetypal than she is. They will try to do what's right even if it seems like the world is often stacked against them.

She will change when she receives her superpowers and it will be something that will split a lot of her fans over whether it was a good or bad decision. She becomes one of the strongest characters from a superpower standpoint in the Solaris 'verse but her experiences will drastically alter her outlook on the world. Basically, the question the writers are trying to ask is: "If someone were to actually receive fantastic abilities in a traumatic event, what might that do to someone's psyche?"

The answer is a very thin line between antihero and antivillain.

What is the policy of the UASR toward private religious institutions?

I imagine it would be atmosphere of greater tolerance, but less coddling, for religious organizations.

Authorities would be more willing to tolerate, say Wiccans and other neopagan types.

But I also feel that they would force religions to give up their more harmful aspects. I think the Mormon community, for example, would be forced to stop excluding black Americans. And I also think that prosperity gospel institutions would not be given the broad tax exemptions I learned about from John Oliver.

But would cults whose doctrines specifically endorse misogyny and homophobia be outright banned by government agencies in the UASR?

Is the UCC, for example, banned because it encourages spousal abuse?

I know this is a dumb question, but have the Latter Day Saints brought back polygamy during the Second Cultural Revolution? Or did they bury that belief like in OTL?

How'd they afford the cash though? They blew most of it on the movie flop.
Probably scrounge up more money by introducing more people to the church, and sucking more money from its current members. Though, I think pressure from their numerous followers is a larger factor than money in deciding it a religion, like the OTL Church of Scientology's efforts with the IRS.

What is the policy of the UASR toward private religious institutions?

I imagine it would be atmosphere of greater tolerance, but less coddling, for religious organizations.

Authorities would be more willing to tolerate, say Wiccans and other neopagan types.

But I also feel that they would force religions to give up their more harmful aspects. I think the Mormon community, for example, would be forced to stop excluding black Americans. And I also think that prosperity gospel institutions would not be given the broad tax exemptions I learned about from John Oliver.

But would cults whose doctrines specifically endorse misogyny and homophobia be outright banned by government agencies in the UASR?

Is the UCC, for example, banned because it encourages spousal abuse?

I know this is a dumb question, but have the Latter Day Saints brought back polygamy during the Second Cultural Revolution? Or did they bury that belief like in OTL?

Well, in America there was no persecution on religious grounds. Even there is a party vystupayaschaya under the banner of Christian socialism. Yes, and it mentioned that the left cooperated with neopagans 60-e. But school study "Critique of the Gotha Program" and other Marxist works. Perhaps that attitude to religion in certain circles is "we will suffer".

Another character i'm creating for Polchat. He's intended to be a Communist version of CyberDoctor: loudmouthed, rude, anti-state, distrustful of government institutions like the UASR's Health service (I think I remember reading that the UASR had nationalized health, if not let me know) and military, and just in general, an all around ass. We need a lot more Commie jackasses in this universe. Derekc2's character Religious_Commie is sort of like RuleBritannia but far less obnoxious, and my character based on my friend Mr.CarlCastro is sort of cranky and belligerent (if you couldn't already tell) but Redsverse Deleon's Crew and DontRockTheBoat keep him in check most of the time. Otherwise, there's not enough belligerent Communist characters with the exception of Cheka, and he's more of a frothing at the mouth conspiracy theorist.

I also figured for a society with more people becoming openly bisexual I would add a change of pace for sexuality.

Username:BombThrower
Sexuality:Bisexual
Ethnicity: German
Religion: Atheist
Place of Birth: Athens, Savannah ASR
Currently Residing: Ann Arbor, Michigan ASR
Political Affiliation: Unaffiliated (ideologically Anarcho-Communist)
Class: N/A
Favorite AH work: How Few Remain
Favorite Book: What Is Property?
Favorite Film: For Whom The Bell Tolls
Favorite TV: Life and Love in Manhattan*
Favorite Music: Zack De La Rocha
Favorite Game: Red Orchestra: American Front**
Favorite Art: Any works from Monet
Other Hobbies: organizing militia rallies, protesting outside of the August Willich complex, shitposting, ranting on various message boards about the "reactionary" American government, buying munitions, arguing with capitalists on AH.com, arguing with "reactionary" Marxists on AH.com
Likes: Anarchists, the Red/Black Division militia, his personal armory, beer, Zack De La Rocha, practicing law.
Dislikes: Capitalists, Marxists, Statists, the Workers' and Farmers' Revolutionary Army, The Workers' and Farmers' Revolutionary Marine Corps, the American Government, the American Health Service, the Comintern, Rap Music, soda, fence sitters
Favorite Quote:"All parties without exception, when they seek for power, are varieties of absolutism."-Pierre Joseph Proudhon
Demeanor: Angry, Headstrong, Unfriendly, Spiteful, Argumentative, blunt.
AH Works on the board: "The True Liberation" AH work about an Anarchist rebellion in the First Years of the UASR that succeeds. Considered to be idealistic by most and somewhat stupid by the others.

* an idea I had for an ITTL version of HIMYM. A lot more dramatic and serious than OTL, but jokes still exist.
**Red Orchestra game set during the Red May Revolution

Also, be aware that I am changing the name of my RedsVerse character from Deleon's Crew to Red_DevilDog, simply to avoid confusion for newer people. He's still the same person, but his account got deleted per accidental request, so he created a new one. So it's a bit like Bookmark1995's deal, except not intentional.

Last edited: