What should the next chapter be?

• Alexander Hamilton (Secretary of Treasury and potential future President)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Henry Lee III (Prominent War Hero and future President)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • John Paul Jones (Prominent War Hero, "Terror of the Caribbean")

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • The Constitutional Convention of 1778

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Combination of Two/Three (State in own post)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (If you have ideas, tell me!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"I have but one life to give for my country, but I have many bullets to fire in her defense."
- Alexander Hamilton, prominent military figure and future Secretary of State and of Finance (under President John Adams)

Do you mind if I steal this for my signature?

Chapter 10: Congress Reassembled (The American Miracle, Part III)
Chapter 10:
Congress Reassembled (The American Miracle, Part III)

"Rome was not bylt on a daie"
- Common adage recorded in English by John Heywood, 1546
"Perhaps this Country has a chance, after-all."
- (Likely apocryphal) quote attributed to Thomas Jefferson

---
March 12th, 1781 [1]
Trent_House%2C_15_Market_Street%2C_Trenton.jpg

William Trent House, where the so-called "Trenton Chapter" of the First Continental Congress occurred
As aforementioned, the timing of the intermission between the two sessions of the Convention could not have been any less than a perfected science: it allowed the Men of Congress to depart at the height of their hostilities, and return to their homes and wives and families. It allowed influential statesmen like Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson to attend the Convention after halftime. The Congressmen who, some long summer months previous would have resigned their beliefs in an attempt to escape the dreary conditions of the Philadelphia State House now had a chance to depart for awhile, to reflect on their beliefs and to, after the winter months had declined, dust off their visions and passions for a new nation like old jackets from coat hangers. They, too, were joined by other new faces of a less excitable nature -- Rhode Islanders. Rhode Island, being among the first to ratify the weak Articles of Confederation, took the unwanted role of protectors of the Articles. This faction, called alternatively "Rhodesians" or the "Weak Guards", were headed by the likes of Colonel William West and Captain Arthur Fenner -- men so despised the rest of the Congress that Rhode Island began being called by a colonial pseudonym of its -- "Rogues' Island." Indeed, these Rhodesians were more bitterly reactionary than genuinely concerned in the affairs of smaller states, as New Jersey was.

Of the debates renewed in the Halls of a new Congress, none was more important than the model of government -- split, again, between the Jerseyites, Virginianites, and Pinckneyites. However, an interesting turn of fate occurred when the firebrand of the Jersey Plan, Luther Martin, slowly succumbed to his own alcoholism. His fiery speeches became confusing, long-winded (though strongly-worded) ramblings. Even Robert Yates, a New-Yorker who was an ardent Jerseyite, agreed that Martin's speeches became "too diffuse... [im]possible to trace... through the whole, or to methodize... into a systematic or argumentative arrangement." It was almost as if Martin had passed a torch on, and he had delivered it into the hands of Pinckney.

Though, as mentioned previously, Pinckney had placed considerable importance in his age, hoping to either revitalize a new government or to become infamous trying. When he stood before the Congress and delivered his speech and plans, he was shocked by its reception: some Jerseyites, already recognizing how their cause was beginning to falter, jumped ship and joined the Pinckneyite camp. Though he had given his plan in detail before, it was received with the glorious consensus of "Eh." But, under new circumstances, it became a new idol. Some less stern Virginianites even hopped on board, recognizing Pinckney's Plan as a compromise they were willing to take.

pinckney_redcoats.png

Pinckney Plan, as it was first proposed to Congress. Aspects of it changed over the course of ratification.
In the last weeks of April, Congress agreed that this was the basic outline of how they wanted the new Federal government to look, and thus begins the so-called "Era of Committees" -- the several month period where the formation of the government depended mostly on several-men committees with consent of Congress. These committees were often founded in the belief of sectional equality: that each part of the new United States had to have input in the processes of government: as such, most committees followed the concept of appointing five congressmen -- one from Upper New England, one from Lower New England, one from the so-called "Middle Colonies" (New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey), the Upper South, and the Lower South. Perhaps the most important of these committees (though not the sole one) was the Committee of Detail, which was tasked with drafting the new Constitution of the United States of America. Though there were five in the Committee, it is important to note that these individuals did not write it alone -- the fingerprints of Jefferson and Madison and Franklin and Morris are all present in the final document.

However, the Constitution wasn't the sole invention of the First Constitutional Convention: there was also a secondary important document drafted in the Trenton Chapter, the Bill of Rights. Officially titled the North American Bill of Rights [2], it was the proposed all the way back in Philadelphia, by one George Mason -- the author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (a document which also served to inspire the Preamble of the Declaration of Independence).

220px-George_Mason_portrait.jpg

George Mason, Father of the Bill of Rights
Though not ratified until several years following the Constitution, the Bill of Rights is considered perhaps one of the most critical legal documents of the United States, determining the rights of the citizens and the role of government therein. The challenge of ratifying the Bill of Rights was a long and arduous one, with concessions given and many debates based in semantics -- though this seems unnecessary, it is important to note that, even in the single misplacement of a comma, entire articles could have their meanings suddenly change. Finally, by the late months of 1784 [3], the Bill of Rights was ratified as the following:

"A BILL OF RIGHTS, deemed Necessary by the Men of Congress to Ensure a Stable, Functioning Union, is to be followed by Those in Power, seeing as this is the Purpose of Government to protect the Rights of the People and their Posterity:

ARTICLE I: All Men are naturally Free, Independent, and therefore have Unalienable Rights: These being, in their Simplest Forms: the Enjoyment of Life and Liberty, the ability to Acquire and Possess Property; and the Pursuit of Happiness and Safety. Further, upon entering the State, a Man has no Right to sign any Compact or contract which abridges these above rights, or the rights of his Posterity.
ARTICLE 2: That, as a Nation free of Despotic Thought, it is Unjust to create or pass Any Law which proves to Censor the freedom of the Press, nor any Law which makes the Practice of a Faith illegal, nor any law which Abridges the Rights of Free Speech.
ARTICLE 3: That All Men who show Interest in the Affairs of their Community have the Right to Vote for their Representatives; further that his Suffrage may not be Revoked through Law.
ARTICLE 4: That All Men have a Right to his Property, which the Government cannot Confiscate without his Consent, and even with Consent, Compensation must be Given to the former Property-holder.
ARTICLE 5: That a well-Armed and -Trained Militia, deemed Necessary to Protect the Security of a Nation, must be protected; as such, the Right of the People to bear Arms shall not be Infringed; moreover, any one Individual Religiously Scrupulous of bearing Arms, shall not be Forced to serve in person in the aforementioned Militia.
ARTICLE 6: That the Creation of a Standing Army in times of Peace is to be Illegal unless if Condoned by the Congress.
ARTICLE 7: That no man shall have Soldiers Quartered within his House unless if with the Consent of the Homeowner.
ARTICLE 8: The right of the People to be Secure in their person, their housing, their papers and effects, against unreasonable search and seizure, shall not be violated by warrants issued without probable cause supported by oath or affirmation [4].
ARTICLE 9: No person shall be subject into being Twice put in Jeopardy for the same offense; nor shall he be compelled into testifying Against himself in a criminal case; nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of the law
ARTICLE 10: That in the matter of Criminal Prosecutions, the Accused must Enjoy a Speedy and Public Trial, to be Informed of the Nature and Cause of the accusation, to be confronted by the Witnesses against him, to be tried by a jury of impartial Peers (being of the State or district within which the Crime occurred). Further, he has Compulsory Process of obtaining Witnesses in his Favor, and further has the right to Assistance of Counsel for his Defence [sic].
ARTICLE 11: In suits of Common Law in which the Value of Controversy exceeds Twenty Dollars, the Right of Trial by Jury shall be Maintained. Further, that the Proclamations of the Jury cannot otherwise be Re-Examined in any Court, than according to Common Law.
ARTICLE 12: Excessive bail shall not be Required, nor excessive fines Imposed, nor Cruel and Unusual Punishment Inflicted.
ARTICLE 13: Further, that in the Enumeration of these Rights, it is Ensured that the neither The States nor the Government construes to Deny or Disparage other Rights which are Not Listed here; further, that the Enumeration of Future Rights is to be allowed through Future Conventions and Ratification by a Majority of States in the Union.
ARTICLE 14: Further, that of Powers not Delegated by the Constitution, nor Prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States and her Citizens."

In effect, the Articles of the Bill of Rights have been summarized as follows:
Articles 1-4, 13: Rights of the People
Articles 6-8: Limitations of the Army
Articles 9-12: Definitions of the Legal Process
Article 14: "Up-is-Up" Amendment [5]

---

[1] By this point, the Battle of Germantown had long been over. However, it was deemed more formal to continue with the plans for a relocation in Trenton -- Rumor has it that some Congressmen even feared that, if they returned to the Pennsylvania State House, that they would soon be met by the muskets of angered Pennsylvania statesmen.
[2] "North American" was very rarely used to refer to the United States of America in passing. Decided to have fun with that here.
[3] Takes awhile for these Bad Larries to ratify. Blame that on states trying to create Articles 13 and 14.
[4] Slightly different wording here, which means it will be slightly different in action, too.
[5] Called this way because it states the obvious. It is the Amendment That Does Not Amend, as per IRL.

---

Glad this chapter's finally done with! Next one should be about the last major battles of the American Revolution! Thanks for being patient.
-- Bennett

Last edited:
article 5 still exist? and it spefficaly says right to bear arm? was that pretty contingent on event at the time?

article 5 still exist? and it spefficaly says right to bear arm? was that pretty contingent on event at the time?
The plan is, in essence, for this Bill of Rights to be a combination of Madison's proposed amendments and the sections from Mason's Virginia Declaration of Rights. Both had the right to bear arms listed.

Would it be possible to amend "bear Arms" to "bear Arms for said Protection" instead? Thus making it clear that the right is while one is a member of a militia?

Would it be possible to amend "bear Arms" to "bear Arms for said Protection" instead? Thus making it clear that the right is while one is a member of a militia?
I'm pretty sure the Founding Fathers wanted the Bill of Rights/Constitution to be as vague as possible to let it bend with the times. Being clear is not one of their strong suits.

I'm pretty sure the Founding Fathers wanted the Bill of Rights/Constitution to be as vague as possible to let it bend with the times. Being clear is not one of their strong suits.
That actually makes sense.
Of course now their initial open meanings are considered set as particular meanings, obstruction to other rights be damned.

HeX is right here. Also, if there was to be any greater explanation, it might well be in the opposite direction: Mason's Rights specifically stated "that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty." It'd be interesting to put this in, but I don't think I will.

Alright, finally cranked out Chapter 10! Probably will need some tinkering on in the future, but it's finally not in WIP-phase again. Thanks for the continued reading, folks!

Remembering that this timeline will feature an early civil war, I'm going to guess men like Clay and Webster won't be too prominent in this world.

Remembering that this timeline will feature an early civil war, I'm going to guess men like Clay and Webster won't be too prominent in this world.
Clay was vaguely antislavery IRL by the time that Jackson's Revolution (as the Civil War will be called ITTL) occurred, so he probably wouldn't be too raring to fight for the slavers.
Though this gets a bit beyond into the future, I have rough ideas for what happens to Clay. He'll actually be a President ITTL, part of the Nationalist Republican Party, and see out the Score of Good Feelings. That being said, you bring up a good point that when I get to Jackson's Revolution, I should probably focus in on Clay for a hot minute.

As for Webster, I'm assuming you're talking about Daniel Webster here? If so, why?

Clay was vaguely antislavery IRL by the time that Jackson's Revolution (as the Civil War will be called ITTL) occurred, so he probably wouldn't be too raring to fight for the slavers.
Though this gets a bit beyond into the future, I have rough ideas for what happens to Clay. He'll actually be a President ITTL, part of the Nationalist Republican Party, and see out the Score of Good Feelings. That being said, you bring up a good point that when I get to Jackson's Revolution, I should probably focus in on Clay for a hot minute.

As for Webster, I'm assuming you're talking about Daniel Webster here? If so, why?
I mentioned Webster because of his ability to compromise and that he helped negotiate with Calhoun over the nullification crisis. I thought maybe an absence of him and clay would allow America to veer closer to civil war earlier.

I mentioned Webster because of his ability to compromise and that he helped negotiate with Calhoun over the nullification crisis. I thought maybe an absence of him and clay would allow America to veer closer to civil war earlier.
Fair enough. Webster probably will be a minor political figure ITTL, maybe a VP for a candidate or two (not sure yet, obviously). But good points, obviously, didn't consider those!!

@Bennett , interested to see the future Clay presidency and a more prominent National Republican party that lasts beyond 1832.

Which makes me wonder, any plans for Davy Crockett?
(I had him as the first National Republican president in one of my timelines, actually)

Also I should preface that Chapter 11: The Times That Try Men's Souls will hopefully be out some point this week? Was meaning on getting it out yesterday but procrastinated. After that we finally get to talk about postwar America!

EDIT Should've waited a minute, apologies!:
@Bennett , interested to see the future Clay presidency and a more prominent National Republican party that lasts beyond 1832.

Which makes me wonder, any plans for Davy Crockett?
(I had him as the first National Republican president in one of my timelines, actually)
National Republican Party forms earlier than 1832 ITTL (don't wanna get too much into that just yet). Davy Crockett is... interesting. I haven't considered him yet, but he won't be fiddling in Mexico ITTL. Probably will be out exploring the Midwest.

the Burnball American Organization (BAO) -- does exist for the sport, but it is an odd entity in that it is, also, technically an organ of the United States military.

This world takes the phrase America's pastime literally! This whole timeline is amazing, and this post in particular - I love to see cultural tidbits like this. Don't know how I didn't see this timeline before, but I'm glad to be catching up now :)

This world takes the phrase America's pastime literally! This whole timeline is amazing, and this post in particular - I love to see cultural tidbits like this. Don't know how I didn't see this timeline before, but I'm glad to be catching up now :)
You're lucky you're choosing the timeline that updates about once a month, then! I have a break coming up soon, so hopefully I'll get back onto updating this. I have a lot of this timeline planned out in my head, but putting it down on paper is super hard for me.
Thank you for the compliments!