Red Spies in the White House: An Alternate Cold War

The Germans don’t have to pick a side y’know. They can also just go ‘screw both of them’, and try go it independently, though they will undoubtedly have a lot of Soviet, British (and perhaps also American) troops on their land, and most likely have their nation divided into at least a state or two.
Bru, West Germany is basically a starved hellhole ITTL. How are the Germans going to have an indipendent foreign policu when they don't have an industry or even food anymore?

At best I can see them going full Nazbol.

Ironically I can see West Germany requesting to join East Germany as a way of giving the Allies in general and White's America in particular a big middle finger. It also seems that in this case it would be the economically most sensible decision (which, as I have seen on AH.com repeatedly, seems to be considered as the definitive and unquestionable argument to validate all types of decisions).

This is my interpretation of how Germany woud look like by say the mid-50s (I’m just riffing something quickly):

- East Germany will not be that much different than OTL, but perhaps be a bit bigger due to annexing land in the West, and most likely have a lot more hungry mouths to feed (though still roughly the same number of people as OTL)
- Bavaria has a strong national identity, and may go independent, and fall under the Soviet umbrella, especially if Austria also becomes another USSR-puppet, though Bavaria may end up more of a conservative nation which is only esthetically different from its ML counterparts
- The Danes may annex parts of Schlesweig (perhaps all the way down south to Hamburg but that’s pretty ASB)
- West Germany would be a mess due to various different groups having different interests. The US may fully pull out, the UK could try set something up in Hamburg, the French may try working together with the Russians, and I’m sure the Dutch (and Belgians if they’re not split due to the Royal Question) would try to have a say as well.
- Everyone that can will try, in one way or the other, get a pie from the Ruhr, to the extent that you’d see some unholy alliances form due to politicking for control of the areas by various foreign governments, and wannabe warlords.

You could probably draw a straight diagonal line from Hannover to the South, and say that everything to the East is safe, but not free, and everything to the West of said is line is a vast territory with millions of inhabitants, but without a state. At some point things would stabilize, but by then further Balkanization, and another generation forever disillusioned by foreign nations would have been a fact.

Soviets deported Germans from East Prussia. They didn't "exterminate" Germans from the rest of Eastern Europe.
And Czechia. And Poland. And Yugoslavia. And Hungary, and bunch of other places that fell under Soviet control outside of new German border. When the alternative to leaving is a truck riding on your skull it’s extermination.

Btw, remember that German industrialism is not dead for all time, the know-how remains. It just needs favorable circumstances to recover.
When it does it will be...well...Auferstanden aus Ruinen.

Nope. Red Army didn't participate in those deportations. It's a well known historical fact.
Also, none in the West Allies opposes to this. In fact, they pleased the Soviets for doing this. Not only this, the Allies transferred to the Soviets many people that flows out the USSR and stays in Western Europe at the moment...

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Nope. Red Army didn't participate in those deportations. It's a well known historical fact.
While you are, in general, correct regarding the expulsion of ethnic Germans from Poland, Czechoslovakia,. Romania, and Hungary, insofar ad the actual authorities overseeing the expulsions and the front line personnel were not Soviet/Red Army, the reality is that the governments in those countries were utterly incapable of doing literally anything without NKVD and Red Army support. The governments lacked everything from fuel, to vehicles to weapons, to boots for their freshly formed puppet armies, THat all came courtesy of the Red Army, including transport for NKVD Border Guards.

There is also the reality of Eastern Prussia (aka Kaliningrad). Here there was not puppet government that could be given the proper orders to make the ethnic cleansing appear to be the work of the outraged locals taking "just actions" against the "Nazi Invaders "™ (many of whom had family roots going back the better part of a thousand years). Here Stalin and the Red Army had to get their hands into the mix, even if it was only to push the East Prussian civilians over the new Soviet-Polish borders where the Communist puppet Polish government could take over and complete, in every detail, Stalin's slightest whim, or to deported, in some cases to Soviet Labor camps (this number was somewhat limited since most able bodied men had been taken as PoW during the final assault on East Prussia and already moved to Red Army/NKVD labor camps.

There is plenty of blood to be poured on hands regarding the expulsions, on both sides of the Atlantic, including those of the Red Army.

I just discovered and binge read this entire timeline @Ulysses Orbis and it is pretty awesome! What are the odds that I discovered TWO epic timelines I've never seen before on this site in one day (I just discovered Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One featuring a John McCormack presidency in the 1960s)?

Whatever happened to the plot point regarding J. Edgar Hoover and Clyde Tolson's private detective agency (I found that quite entertaining)?

And UN Secretary-General Alger Hiss is cursed. I remember in For All Time Hiss became President Henry Wallace's nominee for Secretary of State until the revelations of his Soviet sympathies came out during his confirmation hearings. Fun fact: Secretary of State Cordell Hull considered resigning his post a year early in For All Time which would've allowed for Hiss to be confirmed as his successor. If say Operation Long Jump had indeed existed and succeeded, killing FDR, Churchill, and Stalin at the Tehran Conference in November 1943 then the US could've ended up with a Red in the White House during WWII. Either Operation Long Jump occurs or there's that time when FDR almost died on his way to the Tehran Conference when a US ship accidentally fired a torpedo at his boat (which could've killed Wallace and led to a President Alger Hiss in the FAT universe).

I do like some of President White's decisions being pro-women's rights and pro-Civil Rights though I do fear for the United States being completely under the thumb of the Soviet Union. I wonder how the 1948 presidential election will go? Also I absolutely love the French Fourth Republic's new Constitution! Very based!
As I have stated before there exists no evidence to support the allegations that Hiss was a spy of the Soviets and the case against him is nonsense and there exists no record of any episopinage comitted by him in the Soviet Archives as has been confirmed by every scholar who has looked

As I have stated before there exists no evidence to support the allegations that Hiss was a spy of the Soviets and the case against him is nonsense and there exists no record of any episopinage comitted by him in the Soviet Archives as has been confirmed by every scholar who has looked
The Venona decrypts list Hiss.
"Among those identified are Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, Alger Hiss, Harry Dexter White (the second-highest official in the Treasury Department), Lauchlin Currie (a personal aide to Franklin Roosevelt), and Maurice Halperin (a section head in the Office of Strategic Services)."
In the Enemy’s House: Venona and the Maturation of American Counterintelligence

Last edited:
To be fair, all this TL works on the mechanics of "Anyone who in OTL was accused of being a Soviet spy, regardless of the truth (or lack thereof) of such accusations, TTL is effectively a Soviet spy." So even if that's true I don't think it matters much here.

Really? I'm quite surprised, usually whenever I see Hiss mentioned in AH on here it's usually about him being a Soviet spy in the U.S. government.

Really? I'm quite surprised, usually whenever I see Hiss mentioned in AH on here it's usually about him being a Soviet spy in the U.S. government.
Yep, everyone who’s had a poke about the Soviet Archives has said the same, no evidence Hiss ever had a relationship with Soviet intelligence, it to mention in regard to Venona all they have is one decrypt that someone, may have been Lampere wrote a memo saying “probably Hiss“ on and they all ignore the fact that the FBI despite all their best efforts for 20 years failed to find anything that could confirm this

I personally have always believed that this was a bit like the idea that all iterations of the Communist States of America would always exclusively focus on Eugene Debs and Daniel De León as references as if there were no others: they are "known" and have "cool names" and that's enough for many AH writers.