Recommendations for reasonably plausible WWIII (and aftermath) TLs?

I had considered reading through 1983: Doomsday, but I've seen a lot of critique that it's quite unrealistic. Any recommendations for other TLs where WWIII kicks off during the Cold War? They can address the war directly or deal mainly with the aftermath.

The WWIII scenario doesn't have to feature total nuclear apocalypse, a war fought largely with conventional weapons is also fine.

David Flin

Gone Fishin'
With all due modesty, I can recommend "Comedy of Terrors", which I wrote. It's a story rather than a TL, and - because it is professionally published - isn't available on this (or any other free) site. It can be found in The Return of King Arthur and Other Alternate Myths.

To summarise - it's based on true events (even the suicide squad of snowboarding snowmen) and is incredibly realistic in every detail.

Honest.

"Protect and Survive" seems well regarded.

But I would agree about 1983 Doomsday: All the survivor states and painstakingly detailed and robust postwar pop culture is... a stretch.

marktaha

Banned
With all due modesty, I can recommend "Comedy of Terrors", which I wrote. It's a story rather than a TL, and - because it is professionally published - isn't available on this (or any other free) site. It can be found in The Return of King Arthur and Other Alternate Myths.

To summarise - it's based on true events (even the suicide squad of snowboarding snowmen) and is incredibly realistic in every detail.

Honest.
Can't it be found elsewhere than kindle?

David Flin

Gone Fishin'
Can't it be found elsewhere than kindle?

Afraid not. Given that I write for a living, I don't particularly want to discourage people from paying for something by giving it to them for free. It's kind of a "I like be able to eat" thing.

If you DM me your email address, I'll send you a copy.

As for the Musical, that's not for sale anywhere, so I'll try and put a copy of it on the Writers' Forum. I don't think the Mods would go for a Musical TL in Post-1900, however plausible it might be.

One of my favourite TLs of all time is Giobastia’s Able Archer 83. As the name suggests, WWIII is sparked by a Soviet invasion of Western Europe in 1983, due to the Kremlin’s miscalculations over the Able Archer exercise. It’s a true page-turner.

ferdi254

Banned
The one of Giobastia is a page turner but about as realistic as LOTR.

It is chock full of right wing stereotypes, propaganda and impossible feats done by the USA.

Spetznats teams all over Europe, left wing movements collaborating with the USSR….

The one of Giobastia is a page turner but about as realistic as LOTR.

It is chock full of right wing stereotypes, propaganda and impossible feats done by the USA.

Spetznats teams all over Europe, left wing movements collaborating with the USSR….
If I recall correctly, there were some unrealistic elements I think (Air Force II getting shot down) , but not enough to undermine the believability. Perhaps I should reread it.

ferdi254

Banned
The absolutely glaring one is that all NATO secret services completely ignore the build up of the Warpac to the point where the hundreds (sic!) of Spetznaz troops manage to get hold of every tactical nuke in Europe…..

while the same utterly incompetent secret services manage to reveal the 6 (iirc) correct spots which to hit means that all land based intercontinental nuclear soviet missiles never get fired.

Plus the USA is able to deploy a working SDI which manages to take out a large part of the SSBMs. In less then 6 months!

Page turner but a very bad case of a right wing guy blaming everything on left people with the good conservatives winning the war. And handwavium everything to have the USA survive somehow. And of course that USA does away with all „leftist“ ideas.

Last edited: