Rebirth of an Empire "O Renascimento de um Império" v2.0

For exemple the reunification of Timor?

Well, here's a map of OTL Southeast Asia, right around this time and just in the middle of the 4th Anglo-Dutch War, helpfully showing what was independent, what was vassalised, and what was officially part of somebody elses' empire.

3gzcBtQ.png

(Video it was taken from.)

Southeast Asia zoom in.PNG

I'd say Portugal uniting the islands it partially controls is the easy pickings, in a way it's even desirable for the Netherlands too, it should be clear to them that they have to consolidate what they've got and everybody will know they're not in the position to expend cash on maintaining land borders with a rejuvinated Portugese army. The Portugese will want to come out of the war with something compact and defensible that can make them money and help secure the rest of their Far East empire. Even with their newfound strength, something like taking all of Java would just be a huge commitment of limited naval resources, they'll be making themselves Target No. 1 for the Dutch when they rebuild their fleet and they'll be getting so locally powerful that they won't be able to trust Britain will have their back.

The other big thing they could get from a resounding success is small but significant, indeed it's what Britain wrangled out of the Dutch: Free access through the Malacca Straits. This could mean also the taking of a small island for a simple naval base, to match that of the Netherlands.

Southeast Asia war aims map.png

According to 1 of the spoilers in the old index, you will want to stretch the line north, the other spoiler was the return of a old and crucial possession, though that's all i'll reveal, have fun figure which is which.

I7Eim9t.png

Map of Portuguese American provinces

Pro-Slavery provinces (Grão-Pará, Maranhão, Rio Grande do Norte, Pernambuco, Bahia)
Anti-Slavery provinces (Minas Gerais, Paraná, Rio de Janeiro, Rio Grande do Sul and Cisplatina)
I'am a brazilian and for me this makes no sense at all historically speaking, in otl why you see the provinces you putting pro slavery are the ones which aren´t suppoded to be profiting because of slavery as the sugar and cotton trade in the northwest that was the more economically important in this region was in downfall and this region was as such poorer combined with the fact that most of the land was not made for agriculture being a geo-climatic anomaly, and had as such less slaves, while the north was completely underveloped and didn´t need slaves at all, the so called "drogas do sertão" or drugs of the backwood weren´t labor intensive and used mostly indigenous labour, while the anti ones where the ones which needed slaves because of the gold and other mineral were heavily dependent in slave labour and here is where most agricutural lands in Brazil of good quality are and where most of the agriculture was done, can you please explain why you have changed that, also this probably means a earlier abolishment of slavery in Brazil, so please explain why you have done that.

Lusitania

Donor
I have just finished reading this excellent timeline and I am impressed! It is very well researched and very thorough.
So, I predict that in this TL Napoleonic wars the French will have an even harder time in Spain than in OTL.

Thank You for the praise we really appreciate it and are very glad to have you as a reader and fan.

PS the last post generated several post and we will be dealing with them over the next few days.

Lusitania

Donor
This update really floats my boat.

We are glad you enjoying and hope others are also enjoying the TL. Thanks

It might be surprising to some, but one of the first economists to write positively about the publicly traded limited-liability company (the ones that sell share on the stock market) was Karl Marx - earlier writers like Adam Smith were suspicious of divorcing the roles of management and ownership, while Marx admired the stock market's ability to raise capital on a scale no individual or small group of people could ever hope to match, no matter how rich they were, to him they were what made possible the massive steel mills being constructed in Germany in his time. The race to mobilize resources for the naval infrastructure boom could set somebody up to make a similar observation a few generations early. I'm sorry if it's been covered before and I'm simply forgetting, but what exactly is the government doing to direct private investment towards the shipyards? This is before the founding of a national bank, so one can imagine the Naval & Colonies Ministry issuing bonds affordable to the average Portuguese, backed by the revenue collected from the consolidating and growing merchant fleet and colonial empire. Common Portuguese people get a nice, safe, and not to mention patriotic investment to help grow their savings, and the government gets the influx of cash it needs for the Castro Plan.

Both the Portuguese stock market and Portuguese bank have been founded and while they are young compared to the ones in Northern European countries they have proven to be very important vehicles to raise capital and in case of the Portuguese bank try to control money. Since the 1960s there has been a large financial investment by both individuals and pools of money from the stock market to finance the building of ships but they have been spread out over several smaller shipyards. The Castro plan established a national strategy and also gave impetuous for the construction of the country's first major shipyard that could provide the necessary ability to take Portuguese shipbuilding to the next step required to attain the scope and size required to fulfill both Castro plan and as well needs of the growing colonial empire which in terms of trade has more than doubled in size since 1750.

It seems the Lusos are learning from their Anglo allies' mistakes; pay close attention to the grievances of your large American colonies, and make sure they spend more time fighting each other and less time uniting against you. Slavery seems to be slowly starving itself to death; intense plantation farming like that for sugar and cotton uses up the fertility of the soil, which is what pushed the Southern states in the US to try and make new states Pro-Slavery, it was so they could get new land for new plantations. In the case of the Brazilian slave states, the only 'options' to get more land is either infringing on the free states to the south or pushing west and trying to incite a war against Spain, doing either is sure to unite the rest of the empire in agreement that slavery as an institution has become little more than a liability and has overstayed its welcome on Lusophone soil. With the immigration of Afro-Brazilians to Portugal, stories of the horrors of slavery coming with them, the narrative against slavery is only going to build and build - I could see private activism from abolitionists creating something like the Fairtrade certification to help conscious citizens avoid buying sugar or tobacco grown with slave labor, effectively putting a 'soft embargo' on North Brazil.

I'm predicting that Capoeira spreads across the empire through the army. It doesn't matter how busy you try to keep your soldiers with drills, marches, and the building of fortifications, men stuck thousands of miles away from home are going to get bored and irritable with each other. The choice is in whether that aggression gets let out in a nasty brawl whenever they think the officers aren't looking, or if they have the opportunity to release it in a way that is more controlled and consciously done as a bit of fun between fellow soldiers, and does more to exercise their bodies rather than having them risk serious damage. Returning to the topic of social changes I mentioned in my last comment, I think learning from and sparring with Afro-Brazilians in this martial art could help white troops and officers grasp an important idea; assimilation is not a one way process of an inferior people being sculpted into shape by a superior one, it's a mutual exchange where two different but equal peoples find a middle ground.

iOTL Pombal had started the divestment of manufacturing and opening up of trade, manufacturing in Brazil got its first real start during his tenure as Prime Minister, when Queen Maria I came to throne most of the business were closed down and Portuguese government attempted to put the genie back in the bottle and re-establish that colonial control, unfortunately the US had just become independent and Brazilian aspirations were not satisfied and result was growing Brazilian independence movement. iTTL the Portuguese did not wait for the US to become independent but instead not only gave the Brazilians autonomy but more importantly made them equal partners in the empire. The population of Brazil and Portugal Metropolitan are about equal during the 18th century and both are industrializing at very fast rate. We can see in the graph of the above post that Brazilian economy is diversifying and manufacturing has took a strong root in the southern provinces. So while some have looked at this as saying the Portuguese have learned from their Anglo friends in actuality the Portuguese realized they lacked the economic and population size difference witnessed between Britain and 13 colonies to try and maintain the status quo. The size of the Portuguese population and the both the physical and population size of Brazil convinced the government that it needed partners in the development of country and empire not subjects.

m6pbnPt.png

These decisions in the early 1960s such as MAD which placed the Brazilian army within the jurisdiction of Brazilians and provided the Brazilians with great political autonomy has changed the dynamics of the Brazilian-Portuguese relationship and the collaboration between the two has resulted in many advances, we have witnessed the support of the Brazilian army in Portuguese-Congo war we also seen the discovery and settlement of New Zealand by both Brazilians and Portuguese. Cultural difference will continue to develop similar to how they differ in Brazil itself as well within Portugal.

As for Capoeira it will develop and be intermixed with other forms of martial arts later on to form a unique Lusophone martial arts.

Lastly on Slavery this is a growing rift with the various Brazilian provinces, one that the Portuguese government has avoided getting involved other than to protect each provinces rights to enforce or outlaw the practice. It has been banned in Metropolitan Portugal, Africa, India and Asia and also banned empire wide for all mixed (molatos), indigenous, Indians and Asians. Does not apply to restricting where individuals can live both for political reasons as well as settlement.

Timor and Leste certainly seem to be the awkward step-children of the Lusophone family right now, but with the Portuguese dividing New Zealand with the British they could potentially find new life as the hub in Portugal's Far East wheel, helping to ensure the Dutch aren't able to at will snuff out communication and travel between North Island, Macau, and Goa/the Atlantic. Of course, the Dutch are about to get very occupied in every sense of that word when Napoleon shows up, a Portugal that holds its ground in the Peninsular War is in a good spot to 'ask' the Dutch for some compensation in exchange for looking after their Far East possessions for them.

You forget the luso-dutch war that keeps being referenced in the last updates, if the pre-"censorship" index is right, whoever is in charge of the DEI after the war is going to have a much lighter workload do deal with.

oof, silly me :coldsweat:
Timor place while awkward at moment will become much more defined and centered by future developments. It will be featured front and centered in future updates.

As for those rumors of censorship index that is "fake news", it was decided that the index would reveal too much and not sure how we resolve that after we have posted the sections. Think that they will stay the same.

As for war yes we already stated that the joining of Portuguese and British royal families resulted in Portugal being dragged into the war with France and Dutch which was happening at same time the British were battling 13 colonies. So much more to follow regarding that in future posts.

I would've said that it was stretching reality for Portugal's navy to so quickly be in the state to take on a European midweight like the Dutch, but judging from the timeline this 2nd Luso-Dutch War is either during or just after the 4th Anglo-Dutch War, with the Netherlands coming out of it with navy and economy trashed. It'll be hard for the Portuguese to not come off as being nakedly opportunistic, but I guess everybody who isn't Britain would at least be satisfied with Britain not getting all of the Dutch corpse to herself - every penny landing in the coffers of some irrelevant Iberian state is a penny not going to Perfious Albion.

The Portuguese naval growth had been occurring steadily since 1760. As for the Portuguese-Dutch war and the reasons for it I will leave that for future posts and not speculate here at moment.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
How this war will play with Revolutionnary Wars? Will the United Provinces be occuped by France, like OTL?

Speaking of which, how will corporate law be impacted by such moves? OTL, until late in the XIXth century, granting legal personhoog to entities was very restricted (until 1867 in France, for exemple). Likewise, banking laws migh have to change.

The military might be one of the ways cultures merge in Portugal. For exemple, how will Indian cuisine be received in Brazil, and how will change to fit the local tastes?

Ok several good question so here is our best attempt to provide answer taking into consideration that some things we will not discuss in detail since they deal with future posts.

1) The revolutionary wars (French and subsequent inspired smaller revolutions) will be covered in full detail in future. to those who have studied them iOTL all we can state is that iTTL while many aspects and reasons for their outbreak exist the outcomes may not always be exactly the same. At times certain events required an additional POD or person for them to happen, other times they happened just like iOTL while at other times the outcome will be complete different. If the answer seems a little vague that is on purpose for we now entered into the second generation of actors in the Portuguese Empire and the POD impact is growing. Even outside of the Empire there are major impacts being felt be they in Europe, Americas, Africa and Asia. The greater the interaction with the Portuguese Empire the greater the ramifications and potential changes.

The growth of Portuguese Empire both economically, militarily and more importantly size is already having impacts on its neighbors. Portuguese industrial output while creating new markets it is slowly displacing other products both domestically and on the world stage. What impact we will discuss that at the end of the book around the end of century. Politically a more assertive and politically strong Portugal will have an impact on the world stage be in in trade, diplomacy or simply influence. The growth of the Portuguese Empire is slowly accelerating. These changes are spread throughout the world. Be they in exploration, conquest or simply influence.

So in closing there are a lot of changes happening in both the empire and with the countries it interacts with. What we can state is that the Portuguese-Dutch War has a huge impact on both Portuguese and Dutch. I wont go into them at this time they do represent a major shift in world politics. MUCH MUCH more to follow.

2) Corporate law was updated and limited liability addressed in the early 19th century. Much more to follow but during the 18th century in Portugal like rest of world there was no limited liability for private companies or even jointly held stock companies. What we can state is that the Portuguese were one of the early adopters of limited liability legislation.

3) Military were one of the primary ways in which cultures did merge and that at time people were introduced to people from other regions of the world. As for cuisine have you tried "bacalhau a maneira da Caparica" made with curry. One of the many varieties of meshing of cultures and dishes from several major areas of world. Just as I am sure that the large ethnic Japanese population in Rio and Sao Paul has impacted Brazilian food in those regions iOTL so too will the mixing of many Indians in Africa, Americas and Europe and the same is true for the introduction of European dishes into India and elsewhere.

4) As for the potential expansion of Portuguese East Indies we have no comment. Please wait for the upcoming Portuguese-Dutch war. We still have several major topic to cover first but it will be part of much large section called "The Three Year War". Please be patient and enjoy the show in the meantime.

Lusitania

Donor
Well, here's a map of OTL Southeast Asia, right around this time and just in the middle of the 4th Anglo-Dutch War, helpfully showing what was independent, what was vassalised, and what was officially part of somebody elses' empire.

3gzcBtQ.png

View attachment 463483

I'd say Portugal uniting the islands it partially controls is the easy pickings, in a way it's even desirable for the Netherlands too, it should be clear to them that they have to consolidate what they've got and everybody will know they're not in the position to expend cash on maintaining land borders with a rejuvinated Portugese army. The Portugese will want to come out of the war with something compact and defensible that can make them money and help secure the rest of their Far East empire. Even with their newfound strength, something like taking all of Java would just be a huge commitment of limited naval resources, they'll be making themselves Target No. 1 for the Dutch when they rebuild their fleet and they'll be getting so locally powerful that they won't be able to trust Britain will have their back.

The other big thing they could get from a resounding success is small but significant, indeed it's what Britain wrangled out of the Dutch: Free access through the Malacca Straits. This could mean also the taking of a small island for a simple naval base, to match that of the Netherlands.

View attachment 463495

According to 1 of the spoilers in the old index, you will want to stretch the line north, the other spoiler was the return of a old and crucial possession, though that's all i'll reveal, have fun figure which is which.

Hm.......

That’s all I got to say.

No, we will say little more cannot divulge any potential information that would reveal any new information not “currently” available. First though I really like the map as it really provides a clear picture of Portuguese predicament prior to the 3 year war. We may ask permission to use it to.

As for war itself, some people might call it opportunistic but in reality it was a war the Portuguese found themselves forced into not out of design but out of circumstances. Information was given in the start of the second book on how the Portuguese got involved in the war. (hint betrothal)

As for outcome I think that it is interesting to speculate but anything I might write down would be tainted by knowing certain facts that are not shared with you the readers at the moment. But rest assured we will soon finish last years of pombal and before you know it be discussing how accurate these predictions are.

But I did want to thank for you participation and would like to include an ancestor of yours as someone of note in this region in a future post. So like Archangel who correctly answered a trivia question a while back and received a prize which was to include a family member being featured in an upcoming section of Indian subcontinent. Now both of your ancestors too can be featured in south east Asia or elsewhere in the growing Portuguese empire. Contact me for details. Thanks

Last edited:
I was thinking for the past few days, would you like any help with proofreading new posts? I really really enjoy this timeline, and if you need a little help tidying up the prose I would only be too happy to help.

Considering the last post has spawned a significant amount of conversation, I'll be joining in this conversation and add my optic as the writer to some of these posts as soon as I have some time.

One heads-up, though, since I've been working on the next 'book' of this TL for a while, I will need some time to review my notes to answer some of these questions,

Lusitania

Donor
I was thinking for the past few days, would you like any help with proofreading new posts? I really really enjoy this timeline, and if you need a little help tidying up the prose I would only be too happy to help.
that is definitely a possibility. Just a note we are writing about a year in advance in posts, about 300 pages of TL has been written and we on different stories. Reason for Thrudgelmir2333 have to review some of his notes. Another thing we continue to look for is budding writers or just people who really enjoying the TL and like to contribute. If you look at my signatures you will notice the accompanying thread to this TL the Narrative stories. Stories taking place in published period can be directly posted or if you wish to post about future events we can discuss your ideas and when the time is appropriate it can be posted. Thanks

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
I7Eim9t.png

Map of Portuguese American provinces

Pro-Slavery provinces (Grão-Pará, Maranhão, Rio Grande do Norte, Pernambuco, Bahia)
Anti-Slavery provinces (Minas Gerais, Paraná, Rio de Janeiro, Rio Grande do Sul and Cisplatina)
I'am a brazilian and for me this makes no sense at all historically speaking, in otl why you see the provinces you putting pro slavery are the ones which aren´t suppoded to be profiting because of slavery as the sugar and cotton trade in the northwest that was the more economically important in this region was in downfall and this region was as such poorer combined with the fact that most of the land was not made for agriculture being a geo-climatic anomaly, and had as such less slaves, while the north was completely underveloped and didn´t need slaves at all, the so called "drogas do sertão" or drugs of the backwood weren´t labor intensive and used mostly indigenous labour, while the anti ones where the ones which needed slaves because of the gold and other mineral were heavily dependent in slave labour and here is where most agricutural lands in Brazil of good quality are and where most of the agriculture was done, can you please explain why you have changed that, also this probably means a earlier abolishment of slavery in Brazil, so please explain why you have done that.
To best explain the reasoning for the development of anti-slavery states we need to refer to the changing economic situation of Brazil and the growing industrialization. As can be seen by the growth of manufacturing and development of industry in southern provinces has changed Brazil greatly.

upload_2019-6-8_22-29-2.png

The elevation of Brazil to co-kingdom within the empire meant that industry was flourishing in the southern provinces. Emigration was diverted to the south, the conquest of Cisplana plus the teaching of the Portuguese Catholic Church especially the influence of teaching Verney meant that the southern provinces any-slavery movement grew very fast. The growing smaller holdings plus industry made slavery unpopular since it depressed wages and slowly parish after parish voted to abolish slavery. It soon became unattainable to maintain slaves in one parish when the neighbor parish would free that slave. Note there is a large contingent of slave catchers and guards along the pro and anti slavery provinces.

Although there was a large push back by the big land owners and mine operators but they lost out due to the anti-slavery of both part of Brazil population and the new emigrants who were immigrating large numbers to the southern states.

The population growth of Brazil which we will publish in time clearly moved power and population to the south.

Analogies can be made to the development of the anti slavery American northern states. The Portuguese were clearly way ahead of the rest of the world with anti - slavery acts.

Now at the same time that southern Brazil industrialized there was an increased demand for agricultural products produced in the norther provinces and they too were more developed than iotl. Now at risk of revealing part of future posts the increased demand for agricultural resulted in large scale slave smuggling to meet the growing need.

What the implications to the long term prospects for slavery in Brazil will be explored further but what is important is that MAD prevented Lisbon from dictating policy to Brazil or even one province to another. But we can state that slavery in the Portuguese empire will not outlast slavery in the US as was the case in iotl between us and Brazil.

I'm sorry if it's been covered before and I'm simply forgetting, but what exactly is the government doing to direct private investment towards the shipyards? This is before the founding of a national bank, so one can imagine the Naval & Colonies Ministry issuing bonds affordable to the average Portugese, backed by the revenue collected from the consolidating and growing merchant fleet and colonial empire. Common Portugese people get a nice, safe, and not to mention patriotic investment to help grow their savings, and the government gets the influx of cash it needs for the Castro Plan.

At this point the government is doing it mostly through the Chambers of Commerce (Lisbon, Porto and Rio), which technically own and regulate the new Merchant Navy. The Portuguese Navy as people knew it at the time was still funded by the crown, but Castro's reforms limited its make-up down mostly to the big warships it could afford (the 2nd and 3rd rates in squadrons), while lesser warships were increasingly a Merchant Navy monopoly. In addition, sailors of the 'private sector' were also either propped up by individual initiative or educated by the CCs, which at this point had a vested interest in securing their own logistics.

This new system is still mostly only implemented in metropolitan Portugal and some Brazilian cities. Lesser colonies building their own war or commerce vessels still have to fund them traditionally, at this point.

I would've said that it was stretching reality for Portugal's navy to so quickly be in the state to take on a European midweight like the Dutch, but judging from the timeline this 2nd Luso-Dutch War is either during or just after the 4th Anglo-Dutch War, with the Netherlands coming out of it with navy and economy trashed. It'll be hard for the Portugese to not come off as being nakedly opportunistic, but I guess everybody who isn't Britain would at least be satisfied with Britain not getting all of the Dutch corpse to herself - every penny landing in the coffers of some irrelevant Iberian state is a penny not going to Perfious Albion.

At this point you can't help but make an incorrect assumption because, quite frankly, this TL hasn't revealed enough of what's going on yet to make a more accurate calculation of the odds. There's still some factors outside of sheer ship numbers that will affect the foreshadowed conflict, namely the people leading the combat, a few critical events and some important strategic aspects. Obviously I'm not gonna reveal any of them here.

To be clear, though, it will be during the 4th Anglo-Dutch War, but not at a point where it would significantly affect the odds outside of Europe.

How this war will play with Revolutionnary Wars? Will the United Provinces be occuped by France, like OTL?

Under the butterfly effect of the events posted so far, they will have no significant effect between them. The two conflicts are simply too separated both in terms of timing and location.

Speaking of which, how will corporate law be impacted by such moves? OTL, until late in the XIXth century, granting legal personhoog to entities was very restricted (until 1867 in France, for exemple). Likewise, banking laws migh have to change.

In Portugal there's pretty much no corporate law to speak of at this point. Pombalist Portugal is that underdeveloped, legally speaking, and private enterprises still have to deal with a Crown that has absolutist tendencies, even though these are waning off during Joseph II's reign. In terms of law code, most of the codex is still using Phillipine Ordinances. The ongoing pre-industrial revolution, though, will force a big revamp in the next cabinet term, but you'll have to wait to see what happens.

The military might be one of the ways cultures merge in Portugal. For exemple, how will Indian cuisine be received in Brazil, and how will change to fit the local tastes?

I have no idea. Positively, I would assume. : p

But for a more concrete answer, you'll see in later posts where Indians are being directed by PRP and how they are affecting things.

3gzcBtQ.png

View attachment 463483

View attachment 463495

I really appreciate the care it went into discussing what might happen here. It makes me glad people are paying attention.

But just like Lusitania said, these things have been decided and written a year ago. To reassure you all, I did considerate all the factors you mentioned here and more, so without giving any details I can more or less safely guarantee that the resolution to all that will be pretty satisfying.

We are currently working out an issue where some of the formatting and even some of the punctuation in these posts are being randomly eliminated when Lusitania transfers things from our workbench files into the forum platform, so some of these posts might look like they need proofreading when they are really just damaged by the upload. It happens in many writing sites, including fanfiction.net

If the problem persists, we will consider getting a proofreader. I used to have that role, but now I've migrated into writing most of the TL, so it's possible that I won't be able to juggle both tasks.

In the meantime, something we would really appreciate would be updates and corrections to promotion material, especially the TV Tropes page.

We changed it mostly due to the evolution ITTL of the Brazilian economy, like Lusitania explained. I do apologise for the lack of detail into which states were more heavily evolving towards slave-based economies, but we simply assumed it would be easy to infer.

To clear things out, at this point, in this TL, the coastal states largely determine the perception of the Brazilian 'backyard', and some cities, namely Bahia and Rio, politically dominate the discourse even if their influenced neighbors, like Parnaiba and Minas Gerais respectively, do not reflect their priorities and have their own vote on things. This is because of the internal competition caused by the CPD and MAD reforms which basically surrendered Portuguese authority and allowed the governors to sort things out with the Vice-Roy, in combination with regional rivalry.

Currently, ITTL, due to the CPD, Rio is focusing less on extracting gold for exportation and more on developing its own varied economy with said gold, with only some regulatory taxes still paid to Lisbon as a matter of sovereignty. It's also balancing discourse with Cisplatina, which is distinctively anti-slavery in this Brazil, so this is a very different Rio de Janeiro, politically speaking, than IOTL by 1780. In the early parts of this TL, there are also sections that explicitly talk about Pombal creating a lot of new plantation companies in northern states. This has created a 'narrative of Brazil', where the northern states are now relatively slave dependent compared to middle and southern states, which you could say is the hidden POD in this TL for Brazil's side.

So yeah, we do not have here a situation as radical as what we might imagine from American Civil War movies, but still one of significant friction caused by very radical intensification of plantations in the north (mostly around Bahia which, again, dominates representation of that half of Brazil), and de-intensification in the south in these last 30 years. It's really Portugal's fault for insisting in meddling in Brazil prior to the CPD and MAD, and now things are going down the intended self-correction, with some inevitable bumps along the way.

Rebirth of Empire (2 of 2) - The Last Years of Pombal (1777 - 1782) - Minister of Navy & Colonial Affairs (2 of 2)

Lusitania

Donor
Rebirth of Empire (Part 2 of 2) (Cont.)

The Last Years of Pombal (1777-1782) (Cont.)
Ministry of Navy & Colonial Affairs (2 of 2)

Portuguese Navy Resurrection – 100 Thousand Tons
3zHl51l.png

While the needed financial stability for an ambitious shipbuilding project was still lacking, the Portuguese Navy grew nonetheless in size under the new model and infrastructure throughout the last phase of Pombal’s age. At the time of the Earthquake, the Portuguese Navy had, in total displacement weight, approximately 35 thousand tons, a figure that fell behind most of the strong European navies at the time.

By 1770, its size, however, had increased to approximately 80 thousand tons, more than doubling the total displacement weight in just over two decades. This allowed Portugal to stay in line with most Atlantic powers of the time, particularly Denmark and the Netherlands. This size increase, however, was mostly due to reforms in ship classification, the birth of the Merchant Navy and refitting of ships, meaning the total true firepower had not increased as much as its weight figures indicated. Most reforms in the Navy that yielded factual increases were done in the quality of each warship and of the Navy structure as a whole; by this same year the Portuguese war sailors were on par with modern professionalism and the ratio of light ships and heavy ships was at an optimal point, even by European standards, with there being approximately one heavy ship for each two light ones.

Naval dynamics had also been increased significantly, with long-distanced wars in India, Africa and Americas forcing the navy to adapt to long-range missions and decentralized patrolling. This meant that, while the size of the Portuguese Navy still fell shortly behind the naval power average in sheer weight, the actual efficiency and success rate surpassed the levels its form suggested. Even so, heavy politics were outside Portuguese reach for as long as the navy staid underdeveloped, so the 1777 cabinet focused on increasing true ship production capacity, as detailed in the previous point (‘The Castro Plan’). So while potential for size recovery based on existing resources was draining short, actual navy production growth increased significantly due to investments in shipyards and funding capacity.

tsYSafQ.png

Navy Displacement by Weight

By 1780, before the start of the Three-Years War, the Portuguese Navy displaced more water weight than the Danish and Dutch fleets

As a result, while some predicted the Portuguese Navy would plateau during the late 1770s and early 1780s, its size actually increased an extra 30%, growing all the way up to the 100 thousand tons mark by 1782, allowing it to surpass most Atlantic naval powers and be on par with the Russian Imperial Navy.

These figures were further spiked by the capture and treaty seize of enemy ships during the 1780-1783 period, particularly in the conflicts against the Maratha and the Dutch and would allow the Portuguese navy to claim the spot of fourth strongest fleet in the world by the death of Pombal. This marked the Resurrection of the Portuguese Navy as a global navy power, with only the Spanish, French and English navies surpassing it by a clear margin, restoring the strategic importance of Portugal to European naval politics. This had a number of benefits and disadvantages, the main ones being that while Portugal’s power had increased, so had the need to maintain it.

More concretely, the consequence was an increase of militarization of Portugal in the seas and in the necessity to involve the country more and more in oceanic squabbles, such as the fight against piracy, to keep the enlarged navy sharp and tempered as well as reap the occasional military profit. This was reflected in an overall change of political attitude; over the course of the Late Pombaline Government, Portuguese naval actions, mediating initiative and power playing became increasingly visible, something that was first solidly noticed in the Luso-Dutch War Treaties.[1]

The Portuguese Navy played a huge part in Portugal’s victory in the Portuguese-Dutch War of 1782 and the Portuguese-French War of 1780. The Portuguese forces had been able to inflict heavy damage to both the Dutch and French navies while at the same time defending Portuguese merchant shipping. The war had been a huge test for many of the modern naval techniques and teachings which also left the navy full of confidence in its ability to protect Portugal and Portuguese shipping.

The strong investment in the navy was even more vital due to the fragile state of the army. While throughout the second half of the 18th Century the army had its own share of reforms, the “Portugal Seguro” army recruitment project organized by the Count of Lippe was not completed until 1795. In the meantime, the army was in a constant state of underdevelopment and overstretching, struggling to maintain public order during the hotter stages of the Pombaline Revolution and keeping the South American Spanish on the west side of the Uruguay river.

One final boost to the investment came from the Ministry of Industry & Armament which in 1780 drafted the ‘Metropolitan Coal Plan’ which delineated as one of its priorities the build-up of the Portuguese Merchant Fleet to ensure long term commercial flux. The national industry worried that it would not be able to supply the modernization process with enough coal and so many new merchant ships were partially funded by the I&A Ministry for logistical concerns, further boosting the N & CA Ministry’s objective to reach the 100 tons goal.[2]

lk0RFMn.png

Dockyard Construction and Work

Due to the Empire’s geography, the only two powers that could not be kept at bay through water were Spain and the Indian states surrounding Goa, Daman and Diu. The Far East colonies were all in islands and the African possessions had virtually only tribes as neighbors. As for Morbeia, the Portuguese government enjoyed a more comfortable defense position there due to its proximity to Lisbon. This meant that Portugal could protect the progress of the “Portugal Seguro” project by reducing the risk of invasions by sea with a strong navy, thus sparing manpower.

Colonial Profit Doctrine - Guinea

Improving and emancipating the miniscule colonies in Africa had been a cabinet goal since 1760 when the colonial companies were installed there, but the lack of development and conditions for serious colonization limited Portuguese investment potential. The three main colonial points, Angola, Mozambique and Bissau, were ripe with potential but lacked the economic infrastructure for a serious enlightenment program. The illegalization of slave trade, moreover, put an end to a long-standing practice, causing economic instability in these regions. It was necessary to reform the territories into profitable regions once more.

The events of the 4th Luso-Congolese War had increased Angola’s size and importance, allowing investment to quickly flow into Luanda, and much of its economy was replaced with agriculture, financing and mining. The other African colonies, however, still lacked the ability to explore their potential and in Bissau’s case the situation was particularly dire; not only was the factual land much smaller, but expansion and resource prospects were far more difficult with the colony’s role being increasingly strategic instead of commercial. Even its agricultural power was hindered by terrain; most of the coastline was swampy and the unclaimed interior comprised of savannah battered by Sahara hot winds. The Fula-speaking natives inhabited most of the surrounding area and had little interest in contributing to Portuguese colonization.

Evolving circumstances in Metropolitan Portugal would force the hand of politicians as, because of the impact of Mixed Land Enclosure, many new families sought to move to African and South American colonies to start new lives in cheaply bought land. The trade outposts in Guinea had been one of the territories chosen to settle. Moreover, interest in the region in its southern frontier had grown significantly with the abolition of slavery due to a large number of Afro-Brazilians being invited to flee the South American colony to establish a new land in Sierra Leone, an event that would spark the birth of an entirely new settlement called Serra Leoa.[3]

The policy of colonial development that started in the 1760s continued into the 1770s and 1780s in spite of Bissau’s growing pains. In 1779 the governor of Cape Verde and Guinea died, and Ambassador Castro nominated Luís António José Maria da Câmara as the new governor.

NsUhbXc.png

Count Luís António da Câmara
Count of Ribeira Grande

Born 10 February 1754
Died 26 March 1802
Governor of Cape Verde and Guinea 1779 - 1789

‘Louis Anthony’ da Câmara, was from the family of the Counts of Ribeira Grande, who were involved in the Távora Affair. His father, Guido Augusto da Câmara e Ataíde, the Count of Ribeira by marriage had been imprisoned but due to the title of Count of Ribeira Grande being from mother’s side she was able to keep the title and estate even though her husband was held in prison. In 1778 when King Joseph II ascended to the throne he released all prisoners still incarcerated from the Távora Affair. Unfortunately, the Count of Ribeira Grande had died in prison in 1770 and the family was never notified. Louis had enrolled in the military in 1776 and as means of appeasement through the Minister of Navy & Colonial Affairs he was appointed to the post of governor even though he was only 25 years old. In 1782, with his mother’s death, he inherited the title of Count of Ribeira Grande.

Tasked with the administration of Guinea and the Cape Verde Archipelago, Governor Louis had a number of priorities at hand:
  • Ensuring the continuation of the territory’s military and naval strategic importance;
  • Continuing the agricultural growth in both the archipelago and the African mainland;
  • Settling the new Catholic Church in the mostly Islamic region;
  • Maintaining peaceful relations with regional powers in West Africa;
  • Beginning the approximation between the Bissau HQ and the exclaves further south towards Serra Leoa;
The young governor faced a dangerous situation in the territory, as the increased militarization of the colony, the new church indoctrination and the end of slave trade had created a climate of tension with neighboring natives. Lack of social infrastructure like churches, schools, roads and hospitals plagued the colony. Louis also faced the problem of slave smuggling to Brazil, which was especially prominent in West Africa and threatened to undermine his authority.

His mission to ensure Bissau’s profitability was clear, however, and he began asserting territorial domain right away by bringing in agricultural reforms.

In 1779, his first year of office, Governor Louis established a council of plantation owners to promote communion of powers in the colony under his guidance and the Company of Guinea. This was not meant to increase profits or productivity, but more to address the de facto importance plantations had in Portuguese claims to West Africa and find solutions together with the farmers and landowners to organize and defend their lands in a cooperative manner as well as increase conditions to support local military barracks, which just a few years earlier had triggered the Guinean Flu. Most owners advocated that the colonial government should indeed improve their conditions and the map border issues, but few showed willing to make concessions.

Good news would flow from Cape Verde, however, as agricultural and irrigation investment from the previous government phase allowed the archipelago to grow more autonomous in terms of food, so Governor Louis began accepting contracts with mainland plantation owners to reorganize their properties. By the end of the year Louis successfully compacted plantations and began promoting land enclosure as a means to increase employment for natives and productivity in Guinean farms. The plan was to reestablish points of fortified plantation communities to protect and maximize Portuguese claims to the coast.

Governor Louis organized efforts and funds to house the population of the colony more effectively, constructing new neighborhoods with local architecture more apt to the hot tropical climate, and authorized missionaries to enter the trading post to establish the Verneyist Church’s doctrines. Unfortunately, the situation of immense poverty hindered his efforts; most of the inhabitants had to survive on the low agricultural output and fishing, thus developing an extremely unbalanced economy. Conditions for manufactory were also nigh-impossible.

It was therefore necessary that the former count treated his administrative situation with great urgency and he enacted a three-pronged plan to stabilize the territory:
  1. Military Pacification of the Immediate Territory: The Atlantic Army was called to take control over the Bijagós archipelago and the mainland direct borders to ensure control over the territory;
  2. Enactment of Region-Specific Tolerance Edicts: Once in condition to pass wide-spread laws, tolerance edicts were passed to ensure no harm would come to animist who learned Portuguese or converted to an Abrahamic religion, including Islam, depending on district;
  3. Settlement Concentration: Infrastructure would cease to expand in a decentralized fashion and instead plantations, churches and fortifications would once again focus on capital points on the coastline;
The military action was swift and sweeping; the Bijagós Archipelago, just offshore of Guinea, was the first to be intervened in, with many animist communities being overrun and relocated to the mainland. The mainly matriarchal community of the Bidyogo, descendent of refugees from native wars in West Africa, was the main community to be subjugated under Bissau in the islands with control over all 88 being finished by the end of the year.

Similar actions followed in the mainland, with troops avoiding the hot inland and sticking to establishing border marks on the coastline, with the hindermost settlement being Bambadinca, just a few kilometers off the bay’s coast. The perimeter was fiercely patrolled but actual incursions were avoided, the objecting being merely to ensure Portuguese law was correctly passed in the whole demarcation.

The following step was the issuing of edicts to alleviate social and economic tensions; the Islamic population was officially franchised as part of the colony and so was the animist one provided they learned Portuguese, with the first secular school being established in Bissau in 1780. This was agreed with leaders of pacified communities in Bissau’s court of law, with Portuguese becoming the official language of commerce and religion. These improved relations with locals concerned with religion but worsened with the ones concerned with traditional culture, who felt the Portuguese were oppressing them.

Finally, five main settlements were therefore concentrated into focal communities; Bissau, Ziguinchor, Cacheu, Fulacunda and Catió. All these points gathered resources in order to form defenses, roads, churches, markets and offices while enclosed farming took place around them, strengthening the colony and making it more sustainable and easier to administer by 1782.

jICUTlx.png

Cacheu Fortified Villa

The five Guinean focal points became the banners of the colony, allowing it to organize itself into a more advanced settlement over all

The Fortified Villas of Guinea were a form of land enclosure applied to colonial development but also disguised a segregation policy; Islamic Guineans living under Portuguese rule were effectively focused into ghetto neighborhoods, a counterpart edict Louis negotiated with them in exchange to allow the construction of and worshipping in a mosque (not that this broke any catholic hearts).

This was just the first step, however, of a long-term plan to solidify the territory; next followed the actual investment into the lands controlled by these five villas, attracting more effective agriculture and workers, most of native origin. This proved quite the trial for the colonists, who had to live with Muslim Africans of uncertain loyalty, but after a few years of financial debt the office of Bissau reported the first positive growth in relation with the pre-Louis figures, proving the merit of the new approach.

In 1780, Governor Louis accepted an offer from Lancaster, the new Duke of Angola, to take in 2,000 Angolan fetishist natives over three years to populate Bissau and counter Islamic prevalence, as well as a colonial reinforcement of 800 Portuguese settlers from the Metropolitan territory, allowing him to fill much vacant space and improve conditions for housing the Atlantic Army regiments. Moreover the first institutional forces began being formed, including a modernized guard squadron and military police instead of militia and teams of surgeons and doctors from the new medical Orders to uplift the local community’s survival rates.

Combat against slave smuggling continued across Louis’ tenure and, while it dropped due to efforts made by the newly established policing forces, it remained a plague to the governors for years to come. Pacts made with the locals became increasingly important to restore sovereignty over the land at the detriment of external interference and the Bissau court of law became the primary judicial organ of the colony, instead of the West Africa Company. This vexed the Company’s objectives towards the Crown but was extremely important in stabilizing Portuguese Guinea.

In 1782, Minister Castro began issuing the first Cape Verde and Guinea Stamps to celebrate the colonial uplifting through the CPD program, announcing its official transformation from a trading post to a colonial province.

mKIt2k5.png

CPD Celebratory Stamp

The colony remained poor, but its economy and growth stabilized, allowing for the first serious investments in judicial development

With the CPD uplifting complete, Minister Castro authorized PRP actions for demographic development, exchanging locals with the far-off colony of Macau. The resulting census upon CPD emancipation thus inflated population numbers and distribution across the five main settlements but the actual white presence remained an administrative minority. Guinea therefore remained a subpar colony in terms of production, size and growth for the remainder of the Late Pombaline period, but was now at least a stabilized, manageable one with reformed colonial government.

Overseas State Theory – Indian ‘Old Ports’

Portuguese India at the start of King Joseph II reign was very optimistic about its future; Goa had grown five-fold since 1750 and Damão had grown to the size of Goa in 1750, not to mention a number of coastal enclaves had returned to Portuguese possession as a result of the 1777 Luso-Mysore War. The economy was growing; new enterprises and factories were providing Portuguese India with the economic ability and resources to finance improved infrastructures and defenses while the ‘Old Ports’ restored Goa’s commercial dominance over the western Indian shore.

This was mostly possible due to the friendship established with Narayan Rao during the 1774 Luso-Maratha War, which allowed the territories to develop in relative peace and commercial stability; even if relationships with Mysore were highly compromised, their rival, the Marathas, willingly traded with the Luso-Europeans and provided indirect protection.

However, Luso-Indian states relationship was greatly put at risk by the growing Portuguese influence as well as the increasing high number of Portuguese missionaries in the border areas. The Indian states viewed Portuguese influence as an attempt to seize these areas and so it was only by agreeing to limit their encroachment that Portuguese governors were allowed to make full use of their position for profit and power. This, coupled with the growing resentment against the increasing European influence and control in India by Mysore and the British expansion on the eastern shores, was the principal reason for the anti-European movement of the late 18th century in India.

The Portuguese Vice-Roy in Goa, Count Frederick of Vila Real, and the company’s goals in these wars were to defend Portugal’s interest and territory in India. Where possible the Portuguese also used these wars as a way of increasing its territory and influence. They also served to prevent the dominant European power in India, the British East India Company, from excluding the Portuguese and the “Portuguese India Company” from India and to either take over the remaining Portuguese enclaves or marginalize Portugal.

gnZ0uDe.png

Count Frederick Holstein

The Portuguese Count oversaw the development of the enclaves throughout the Late Pombaline period

As a result of these wars, Portuguese India grew immensely, and the new territories provided the Portuguese with a large number of people to send to its other provinces as well as new recruits for its colonial forces that due to increasing large number of conflicts and expanding size was being stretched to the maximum. These new recruits and workers were sent to the East Indies, Africa, the Americas and Portugal proper.

The move by Portugal into the new territories was not always easy or welcome by the locals. When the Portuguese took over any new territory through conquest or treaty the Portuguese government seized all assets belonging to the previous administration, often redistributing it to loyalist parties. They also required all landowners to swear allegiance to the Portuguese crown and in return they were allowed to keep two thirds of their property, those that refused were imprisoned and all their property seized. In most new territories, a few examples of Portuguese seizure of the property and landowner being arrested was enough to convince the others to comply.

At the end of the Luso-Mysore War, however, Count Frederick found himself with five enclaves exterior to Goa to overlook; these were Diu, Daman, Cannanore, Mangalore and Calicut, the first two being governed as a single entity semi-separate from Goa and the latter three falling under the ‘Old Port’ category, which granted significant commercial privileges and particular development priorities. The territory of Goa, now known as the Great Enclave, was the only land directly administered by Frederick. Efforts to uplift these lesser territories, therefore, were reduced in comparison to Goan districts.

The Oversea State Theory, being to all intents a government-mandated assimilation plan, dictated that prior to the CPD three steps were to be followed; the demarcation of land (already done through the Luso-Mysore peace treaty), the installation of Production Companies (also already done upon the official takeover of the territories) and finally the ‘Land Baptism, Demographic Scaling and Latinisation’ of the enclaves. These territories were therefore in no condition to fulfill the requirements of the CPD, at least directly, so Count Frederick focused on following the lesser steps of the Oversea States Theory organized by Navy Minister Castro, which is to say Frederick attempted to culturally convert these enclaves.

The incorporation of the new territories into suitably annexed land was started by a significant reflux of Portuguese Catholic Missionaries; they were the driving force in the limitation of both Hindu and Islamic religions in the new territories, putting up a solid cultural front against the more historically rooted religions. Therefore a period of spiritual conflict followed, with Hindu and Muslim religious leaders protesting, being hunted and either imprisoned or executed. The missionaries were also the primary means of teaching Portuguese language to the locals due to the lack of school infrastructure outside Greater Goa. In most cases due to war and disease the church found large number of orphaned children in the new territories; they were sent to orphanages operated by the several religious groups in India and elsewhere or were adopted by families that were or had converted to Portuguese Catholicism.

C0R4LV5.png

Mangalore Catholic District Hearing

The poverty of the native war refugees was taken advantage of to increase Catholic influence and populism against local customs

Labor, taxation and citizenship laws were introduced to provide incentives to assimilation and the adoption of Portuguese language and religion by many, but especially the younger generations. By 1782, an average of nearly 30% of the locals under the age of 10 throughout the five ports either spoke Portuguese or attended Catholic Sunday School and resentment towards local spiritualism hostile to Catholic ‘charity’ increased significantly, exacerbated by the recent history of Mysorean invasion and drafting. The stage was set for a violent takeover of spiritual identity and the cities of Daman and Diu would suffer the worst of it, having to balance Hindu pacification with Islamic one as well.

One of the most revolting customs that was stamped out was the “Sati” or burning of the widow upon the husband’s death. The burning of a widow in any village or town was immediately followed by the execution of all village male leaders by fire. To protect widows and to encourage assimilation of new territories the government enacted the “Widow Protection Act” after the Luso-Mysore War of 1777. The Act provided protection to any widow who converted to Portuguese Catholicism and married any colonial soldier or Portuguese citizen they would also be able to keep all their property. Most women faced with either death or family members seizing their property and losing their freedom jumped at the opportunity.

This all, however, created a period of strong tension between the new administration and the native status quo, as well as with nearby powers. Narayan Rao, Portugal’s closest ally, was not turning a blind eye to this and often received news from angry natives in the Portuguese enclaves about European stamping. Even so it was a significant step forward in planting seeds of assimilation, albeit violent ones, and the five enclaves would become visibly different territories by the death of Prime Minister Pombal.

[1] See Section: The Paris Treaty of 1783 – The New Globe – European and African Terms & The Luso-Dutch Alliance.

[2] See Section: The Last Years of Pombal (1777 – 1782) – Ministry of Industry and Armament – Metallurgy Patronizing & Metropolitan ‘Coal Plan’ (1780).

[3] See Section: The Second Colonial Accord Guinea, Cape, Australia and Zeeland – From Guinea to Serra Leoa.

Note:
We continue posting the Last Years of Pombal 1777 -1782. The Ministry of Navy & Colonial Affairs is divided into two parts, this post further explanation of the growing strength of the Portuguese Navy. Special note to those wondering if this is possible in iOTL Minister Castro limited by the smaller and weaker Portuguese finances was still able to build the Portuguese Navy to the 4th strongest by the end of the 18th century. A task that was not lost on the world especially certain short military and political leader in France who with Spanish invaded Portugal in an attempt to capture that fleet. As many know the Portuguese frustrated the French and stole away with the government. Here we see what a growing and richer country is able to do so where we have surpassed the 1800 levels by 1780. The rest of this section serves as a good wrap up of the remaining Portuguese colonies. Questions/Comments

Please return Sunday June 30 as we post the 1st part of the Rebirth of Empire (2 of 2) - The Last Years of Pombal 1777 - 1782 (Ministry of Health & Agriculture).

how the morrco colony doing? also portugal is now truly bulding themsleves as a force with british naval help can stand up to france

The following step was the issuing of edicts to alleviate social and economic tensions; the Islamic population was officially franchised as part of the colony and so was the animist one provided they learned Portuguese, with the first secular school being established in Bissau in 1780. This was agreed with leaders of pacified communities in Bissau’s court of law, with Portuguese becoming the official language of commerce and religion. These improved relations with locals concerned with religion but worsened with the ones concerned with traditional culture, who felt the Portuguese were oppressing them.

Would allowing the local imams to set up medersas whose programs would include an heavy dose of Portugese culture be cheaper than setting up public schools wholly funded by the State?

A limiting factor in bringing colonists in Guinea would be the diseases sich as malaria and yellow fever, as noted by in his article The Rate of Mortality in the British Army 100 Years ago, published on 1916:

West Africa, and particularly Sierra Leone, was fully entitled to the sinister appellation, “The White Man's Grave,” for, 100 years ago, the mortality, even in favourable years, was as high as 362 per 1,000.

The incorporation of the new territories into suitably annexed land was started by a significant reflux of Portuguese Catholic Missionaries; they were the driving force in the limitation of both Hindu and Islamic religions in the new territories, putting up a solid cultural front against the more historically rooted religions. Therefore a period of spiritual conflict followed, with Hindu and Muslim religious leaders protesting, being hunted and either imprisoned or executed. The missionaries were also the primary means of teaching Portuguese language to the locals due to the lack of school infrastructure outside Greater Goa. In most cases due to war and disease the church found large number of orphaned children in the new territories; they were sent to orphanages operated by the several religious groups in India and elsewhere or were adopted by families that were or had converted to Portuguese Catholicism.

The persecution of religious minorities seems at odds with the current leanings of the government.

The persecution of religious minorities seems at odds with the current leanings of the government.

I get the impression that the current policies of toleration, and what we might call multiculturalism, are only being born from pragmatism, for now. The ideal for the government is still 'One Faith, One Crown', but it's only that, an ideal, they can take steps to approach it but they can't upset the apple-cart very much when it comes to religion.

With another generation or a few, where we have people of different religions mixing and seeing that being of a different faith doesn't actually make one evil, then we might see more fully secular policies with full freedom of religion.

To protect widows and to encourage assimilation of new territories the government enacted the “Widow Protection Act” after the Luso-Mysore War of 1777.
This is amazing! Women having Legal Protection and the Right to Own Property, esp. in this part of the world. Hope it expends!

I really like the flexibility Portugal is showing not only in the Navy/Army, in Governing as well with different Enclaves and Colonies bending Laws to be more suitable to the environment.