Rebel With an Effect: An Alternate 1950s and Beyond (Collaborative TL)

Near Cholame, California

September 30, 1955

Inside his black and white Ford Tudor, Donald Turnupseed leaned his head back and let out a sigh of relief. Whoo, he thought. That could've been ugly.

They say any accident you can walk away from is a good one. Of course, that's in relative terms. Still, Turnupseed knew he'd really lucked out. Things could very easily have gone far worse.

He'd very nearly gotten into a head-on collision with a silver Porsche Spyder, but the two cars had just barely managed to avoid it. Unfortunately, they weren't quite fast enough to avoid sideswiping each other, but the damage to both vehicles was superficial. The two cars had veered off the road, their momentum carrying them some distance before friction and their brakes managed to stop them.

Naturally, the accident was beginning to draw some passerby. But something was odd. While the energy around his car was more or less normal, the atmosphere around the Spyder was positively electric.

One of the people gathering around his car, an older man, asked him: "are you okay?"

"I think so", Turnupseed answered.

"Good". The man turned around and cupped his hand to his mouth. "Hey," he yelled, "this guy says he's alright! What about the other car?"

It wasn't long before he heard someone replying to the man, a woman. "They're okay too, but you won't believe who the driver is! It's James Dean!"

It'll be interesting to see how an alive James Dean affects pop culture of the 50s. Maybe Elvis Presley isn't nearly as successful in Hollywood because there's already a "rebel" persona that can hold leading roles.

While there will be many butterflies, I don't think they impact Elvis since his Col. Parker created movie persona was not a rebel but a swinging pseudo-bad boy romancing the hot babes in hot settings. Perhaps the biggest loser could be Paul Newman, who at the start of his career was also a handsome, brooding, bad-boy rebel. And Newman didn't pick up the racing bug until after Winning in the late 60's while Dean already had it. Newman did have a more pronounced lighter side and his career may have been pushed more into romantic comedy and light drama. Steve McQueen could also be impacted, but then he also had more of a heroic mien as well as being a rebel. A thought though, was the world big enough to accomodate both Brando and an accomplished adult James Dean?
Or Dean gets so wrapped up in Racing fever and becomes accomplished enough that he ends up in Formula 1 by 1960/61 driving for the works Porsche team. Now the loser is Dan Gurney.

Geon

Donor
I could see James Dean after surviving this incident becoming a major advocate for highway safety and mandatory seat belt laws.

Dean did a PSA before he died on safe driving.

In fact I could see him doing something like the following.

[Cue a shot of the Spyder Dean was driving showing the damaged vehicle]

[Cut to shot of James Dean standing by the car.]

James Dean: "This is my sports car after I nearly totaled it in an accident. I was going too fast and I wasn't paying attention to the road ahead. I'm lucky to be alive. I want to say to all of you young people out there that driving isn't a game. It's serious business. And if you're not careful you can end up seriously hurt or killed. I got a second chance, you might not be so lucky. Remember when you drive, the life you save may be your own!"

I could see James Dean after surviving this incident becoming a major advocate for highway safety and mandatory seat belt laws.

Dean did a PSA before he died on safe driving.

In fact I could see him doing something like the following.

[Cue a shot of the Spyder Dean was driving showing the damaged vehicle]

[Cut to shot of James Dean standing by the car.]

James Dean: "This is my sports car after I nearly totaled it in an accident. I was going too fast and I wasn't paying attention to the road ahead. I'm lucky to be alive. I want to say to all of you young people out there that driving isn't a game. It's serious business. And if you're not careful you can end up seriously hurt or killed. I got a second chance, you might not be so lucky. Remember when you drive, the life you save may be your own!"
Brilliant idea. Mind if I make this part of the timeline?

Geon

Donor
Brilliant idea. Mind if I make this part of the timeline
You are most welcome to! By the way Mort, the phrase "The life you save may be your own," wasn't mine, that was a standard phrase used in driver safety PSA back in the late 50's and early 60's.

Last edited:
Newman did have a more pronounced lighter side and his career may have been pushed more into romantic comedy and light drama.
Newman going to be heavily impacted.
He did two films that were going to star James Dean in the OTL.
So it going to take him longer to get that big role.

I Figure that Dean going to land some of the roles that Newman got in the OTL.
i could see Dean doing "The Hustler " for one.

Absolutely. Dean preempts the young and brooding side of Newman, so Newman gets pushed to his lighter side, which is still good. So maybe Newman becomes Redford, meaning Redford needs to displace someone (too much talent not to succeed), perhaps James Garner. The dominoes just keep on falling.

Absolutely. Dean preempts the young and brooding side of Newman, so Newman gets pushed to his lighter side, which is still good. So maybe Newman becomes Redford, meaning Redford needs to displace someone (too much talent not to succeed), perhaps James Garner. The dominoes just keep on falling.
I believe I read it somewhere that Dean was looking to get into directing. Also perhaps Newman, Redford, or maybe even Dean himself could go into politics specifically Redford as I've seen him discussed as an alternate President quite a bit.

I believe I read it somewhere that Dean was looking to get into directing. Also perhaps Newman, Redford, or maybe even Dean himself could go into politics specifically Redford as I've seen him discussed as an alternate President quite a bit.
I take it you've seen Watchmen recently?