Rearm the ANZACs for the Pacific War.

You can do all that, but what happens when Menzies declares war on Germany?

No 2AIF?

No, I mentioned that. You call up all those who have completed their six months' training - likely in stages - and you send similar forces as historical overseas. They'd be called something else. But the same effect. The big difference is for every division you send overseas you should have another one at home.

You just don't understand the depth of the bitterness within Australian society towards the issue of conscription. The Commonwealth only had the power to compel military service for home defence, not for overseas service. I come from a family line of dissenters. My older brother had his number pulled for National Service. He was advised by our father not to go. He instead enlisted in the CMF. If you did service for six years you couldn't be conscripted to fight in Vietnam. My father served in WWII as a member of the Militia. He refused to enlist in the AIF. He was shipped off to the NT where he served for three years. My grandfather refused to serve during WWI. We have a long history of refusing to serve when called upon by the Government to do so. We prefer to volunteer. My children have shown no interest in the military thankfully and they'll never be conscripted hopefully.

You just don't understand the depth of the bitterness within Australian society towards the issue of conscription. The Commonwealth only had the power to compel military service for home defence, not for overseas service. I come from a family line of dissenters. My older brother had his number pulled for National Service. He was advised by our father not to go. He instead enlisted in the CMF. If you did service for six years you couldn't be conscripted to fight in Vietnam. My father served in WWII as a member of the Militia. He refused to enlist in the AIF. He was shipped off to the NT where he served for three years. My grandfather refused to serve during WWI. We have a long history of refusing to serve when called upon by the Government to do so. We prefer to volunteer. My children have shown no interest in the military thankfully and they'll never be conscripted hopefully.

No I understand entirely. Hence my suggestion that it would be done with a caveat, a very clear one. That conscripts would legally be entitled to refuse to be sent abroad. Conscription did exist. It's not like we're talking about something completely against the grain. There was no Vietnam experience in the 1930s and we need to consider the atmosphere that would exist based on what the OP posits.

Your own experiences - which I take at face value - are entirely irrelevant.

No, I mentioned that. You call up all those who have completed their six months' training - likely in stages - and you send similar forces as historical overseas. They'd be called something else. But the same effect. The big difference is for every division you send overseas you should have another one at home.
Effectively they did that, just from ‘39

The 2AIF was sent off, and was to be equipped and trained on arrival. Units had small arms, WW1 left overs.

There is not enough money or kit for the 2AIF, and none for Militia. The 8 Div 2AIF, had little kit in Malaya.

During the depression height, the Army was not paid for 3 months!!

So we are back to stringing Bank of England representatives from the light posts in 1930 to get the funds available to do anything?

Effectively they did that, just from ‘39

The 2AIF was sent off, and was to be equipped and trained on arrival. Units had small arms, WW1 left overs.

There is not enough money or kit for the 2AIF, and none for Militia. The 8 Div 2AIF, had little kit in Malaya.

During the depression height, the Army was not paid for 3 months!!

Honestly, do people not read the OP? It posits that the mindset of the governments of the day are different. You go from there, on a plausible path.

Money can always be found if the political will is there. The OP strongly suggests political will.

As for the volunteering thing on my Fathers side i had a Great Uncle who fought on the Kokoda Trail as a 16 yr old and was an Officer or NCO to boot. Field promotion i think. I was told the Owen Gun saved his life. He went to take a souvenir sword of a dead Japanese Officer. As he leaned over to get it the Japanese Officer jumped up and tried to use said sword. My Great Uncle's Owen gun was being held with one hand and was pointing at ground. He pulled the trigger and it climbed as it apparently was common to do when fired single handed and killed the officer. He was too shaken up to take the sword. LOL. My Grandfather was a part of the original team that set up Canungra Jungle Warfare training centre. He was all set to join the navy but decided not to due to no submarines. On the other side my mothers father was in Darwin when it was bombed and had burn scars on his entire back and some of his stomach. The percentage of active Australian Men of fighting age actually in military units was incredible.

The percentage of active Australian Men of fighting age actually in military units was incredible.

And one of the main limiting factors on industrial growth during the war.

Too many people were allowed to leave the civilian economy and join the armed forces.

As I said, dry. And the OP wasn't talking immediately after WWI. The POD would be in the mid '30s.
The great difficulty with POD is they need to be believable.

As a screen play reviewer told me, ...
My biggest bug bear is authors getting characters to do what the author wants....
Not what the character would do...!

As Menzies later said..
“I’m British to my boot straps”

Australia is a country of “white Australia”,
Britain is the mother country
And
No little yellow “b” is ever going to beat an Englishman.

We did the economics up thread. You need a left labour revolution via parliament or a fascist coup. In the 20s.

We did the economics up thread. You need a left labour revolution via parliament or a fascist coup. In the 20s.

That wasn’t an economics discussion. It was more akin to political conspiracy theory hypothesising. There would certainly be less extreme options to provide more funding for defence than historical.

The great difficulty with POD is they need to be believable.

As a screen play reviewer told me, ...
My biggest bug bear is authors getting characters to do what the author wants....
Not what the character would do...!

As Menzies later said..
“I’m British to my boot straps”

Australia is a country of “white Australia”,
Britain is the mother country
And
No little yellow “b” is ever going to beat an Englishman.

True, and you could have a discussion on what kind of POD would be required. There’s also obviously degrees to which the POD would influence responses. And one minor quibble - there was a nascent fear of Japan even before 1939.

True, and you could have a discussion on what kind of POD would be required. There’s also obviously degrees to which the POD would influence responses. And one minor quibble - there was a nascent fear of Japan even before 1939.
A possibly
Need to revisit Singapore, and having a plan B?

Defending Singapore from land and enough troops, air and sea power, before Britain burns?

Beyond Singapore, Sydney is the the next major hub with dry dock, etc.

A possibly
Need to revisit Singapore, and having a plan B?

Defending Singapore from land and enough troops, air and sea power, before Britain burns?

Beyond Singapore, Sydney is the the next major hub with dry dock, etc.

And just being more aware that Singapore is hardly some bottleneck. The Japanese have bases at Truk and Palau should - would - have been a worry.