Realistic (!) climate map of worlda w/ Africa and South America switched?

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Chörnyj Orel, May 18, 2017.

1. Chörnyj Orel ...der letzte seiner Art...

How would a realistic climate map of that map down here look like?
    Please also consider stuff like winds, ocean currents, etc. to do the map as realistic as possible.

Thanks. 20170519.png

2. Kaiphranos Hydraulic Despot Donor

Are mountains still in the same places? That'll have a significant impact...

gap80 likes this.
  3. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

At a guess, you're getting deserts in the Amazon. The Arabia region may be more fertile, owing to the mountains at the end of that peninsula breaking incoming raincloud. I don't have any data on hypothetical rivers though. The Sahara is probably as problematic as ever, and the Guinea region is probably a bit more arid too.

In other news, an open-ocean Mediterranean sea means a stunted maritime culture due to fewer safe harbours. And human evolution generally is probably messed up too.

Evan and gap80 like this.
  4. LouisTheGreyFox The Hyperactive Furry Historian

Well I can already say that the Polynesians be able to discover this alternate New World since Comoros would be apart of Polynesia. Madagascar would probably have a climate similar to that of New Zealand.

gap80 likes this.
  5. LouisTheGreyFox The Hyperactive Furry Historian

I disagree I think that in this case the Amazons wouldn't be a desert at all. I mean it could very well help create a bigger Cradle of Civilization consisting of Mesopotamia to Peru.

gap80 likes this.
  6. Chörnyj Orel ...der letzte seiner Art...

Yes, all the terrains are the same, just "mirrored" as the continents themselves are.

7. LouisTheGreyFox The Hyperactive Furry Historian

In that case Andes are going to a lot of an impact on the monsoons in the Indian Ocean

gap80 likes this.
  8. Pischinovski Old Pauperized Polish Nobility

Everytime I am looking at Spain, I fear falling off the edge of Europe ...

Lord Hierarch and Clandango like this.
  9. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

The problem is that this ATL Amazon is at a higher latitude than OTL, right in the middle of the Hadley Cell. As such, it will be dry, simply because of teh way climate works.

Conversely, this ATL Sahara will be quite a bit wetter than OTL, because it sits on the equator. Conversely, the Congo will likely be a desert (and the fertile southern tip will be quite a bit bigger; Namibia will almost certainly be potential farmland, not desert). This Sahara won't be as wet as the Amazon though, because it doesn't have a mountain range to break the raincloud.

How civilisation develops depends a huge amount on whether humanity evolves in the western continent-pair or in the "old world" region.

10. oshron Emperor of Rplegacy

given all those rivers, though, the Amazon probably won't be an actual desert, though. grasslands, probably.

11. wietze Figment of my own Imagination

biggest problem is going to be the gulfstream since the gap between africa and south-america is much smaller.
    a africa that isn't mirrored (and would stick out in the pacific) would likely have less effects on the gulfstream and the thermohaline circulation

12. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

Without rain, all those rivers won't.

13. Chörnyj Orel ...der letzte seiner Art...

I simply had no idea, which rivers I should delete (and which rivers, etc. I should add (and how) in the Sahara).

14. Clandango Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Trading the relatively flat land of South Africa in its perfect sport for the mountains of Patagonia... Yah, I don't think crops will do as well there.

15. oshron Emperor of Rplegacy

yeah, South Africa's probably tundra ITTL. i wonder what kind of condition Madagascar will be in?

WhereverImayRoam likes this.
  16. Zorqal Well-Known Member

Because of the way the gulf stream could get affected, Northern Europe could be a hell of a lot colder. Like, Northern Canada levels. On the other hand, Southern Europe should be wetter, probably a warmer French coast. The Amazon's coast would also get the warm currents. Basically I'm thinking that the current will "bounce" off of "West" Africa, hit the Amazon, and get sent basically straight into Southern Iberia.

WhereverImayRoam likes this.
  17. Red Orm Secretly Muad'Dib Banned

Isn't most of the Amazon watershed snowmelt though?

18. General_Finley Liberty Prime

will the Andes be getting enough snow from the South Asian monsoonal system to support that same level of snowmelt?
    [​IMG]

gap80 likes this.
  19. Emperor-of-New-Zealand Least-Known Member Monthly Donor

Mountains couldn't be in the same place without fucking with the tectonic plates of the whole planet, so it's almost impossible to create a 'realistic' climate map.

Magyarország likes this.
  20. Red Orm Secretly Muad'Dib Banned

Certainly not the same, but the rivers will still be their, permanently or seasonally. I agree that it would be grassland or temperate forest instead of rain forest.