Reagan’s reputation on economic issues if no assassination attempt?

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
“The US public would never permit an open alliance with Pol Pot, Brzezinski (1983: 440) reasoned, but China and Thailand could be more pragmatic (Becker 1986: 440).”

Zbigniew Brzezinski was Pres. Carter’s Nat’l Security Advisor.

And even though this information is based on an interview with Brzezinski, older persons sometimes tell stories which exaggerate their own importance — and I rather hope that’s the case here! But I think it’s not.

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . If we were so anti-Communist back then, why the f**k would we have supported the Khmer Rouge, . . .
realpolitik
. . . to get brownie points with China and simultaneously get revenge on Vietnam.
With an emphasis on the later. Revenge on Vietnam is a sure thing, better working relations with the Chinese is merely an outside policy. We could have just said, no thanks to the Chinese on this one. We wanted to hurt Vietnam.

And if we go ahead and also look at the Dick Cheney’s chief-of-staff Scooter Libby probably revealing the name of a CIA agent just because her husband had publicly criticized the Bush administration for claiming the nation of Niger had provided uranium “yellowcake” to Iraq, my God, we’re dealing with a junior high (age 13 ! ! !) level of maturity.

Lewis “Scooter” Libby was convicted of lying to the FBI and similar changes, and his sentence was later commuted by Pres. Bush so he would serve probabtion but not imprisonment.

The conservative columnist Robert Novak revealed the CIA agent’s name in a column on July 14, 2003.

I had thought of Novak as an intellectual and pretty serious guy, but I guess not!

Again, don’t over-estimate the maturity of these people.

zbigniew-brzezinski-1.jpg

Here’s Carters Nat’l Security guy Zbigniew Brzezinski (getting a medal in ‘81).

american-pie-seann-william-scott-1562242313.jpg

And here’s the character “Steve Stifler”played by Seann William Scott in the movie American Pie

Which one is more mature ? ! ? :openedeyewink:

——————————-

And perhaps one reason I focus on economics as a more hopeful, cheery subject.

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Reagan might not have gotten the support for tax cuts that he needed w/o the assassination attempt (at least not in the first term). Reagan may need to compromise more with Democrats on economic issues. But the economy still recovers and Reagan is still re-elected in 1984.
Yes, I think this is the most likely outcome.

Yes, I think this is the most likely outcome.

That said I think tax cuts would still be a part of modern GOP orthodoxy, but perhaps to a somewhat lesser extent of they aren't as dramatic under Reagan. (Who of course raised taxes multiple times anyway, but that's another matter).

With an emphasis on the later. Revenge on Vietnam is a sure thing, better working relations with the Chinese is merely an outside policy. We could have just said, no thanks to the Chinese on this one. We wanted to hurt Vietnam.

And if we go ahead and also look at the Dick Cheney’s chief-of-staff Scooter Libby probably revealing the name of a CIA agent just because her husband had publicly criticized the Bush administration for claiming the nation of Niger had provided uranium “yellowcake” to Iraq, my God, we’re dealing with a junior high (age 13 ! ! !) level of maturity.

Lewis “Scooter” Libby was convicted of lying to the FBI and similar changes, and his sentence was later commuted by Pres. Bush so he would serve probabtion but not imprisonment.

The conservative columnist Robert Novak revealed the CIA agent’s name in a column on July 14, 2003.

I had thought of Novak as an intellectual and pretty serious guy, but I guess not!

Again, don’t over-estimate the maturity of these people.

zbigniew-brzezinski-1.jpg

Here’s Carters Nat’l Security guy Zbigniew Brzezinski (getting a medal in ‘81).

american-pie-seann-william-scott-1562242313.jpg

And here’s the character “Steve Stifler”played by Seann William Scott in the movie American Pie

Which one is more mature ? ! ? :openedeyewink:

——————————-

And perhaps one reason I focus on economics as a more hopeful, cheery subject.

Richard Armitage was the leaker. Scooter Libby got busted for the coverup.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
BlogImage_AsianTigers_051817.jpg

I think we probably need some good news on foreign policy. So, yes, the “East Asian Miracle,” also known as the “Asian Tigers,” produced a lot of improvement to the quality of life of many, many human beings.

And news flash, at least Japan and South Korea involved land reform — which means taking land from rich people, maybe with something approaching full compensation or maybe with only partial compensation, and at the very least selling it to poor people at below market rates, or maybe even giving the land to them for free.

Yes, it smacks of communism. But we didn’t let that scare us off!

And heck, we could have done the same thing in Africa and Latin America. This is a substantial missed opportunity.

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
nd heck, we could have done the same thing in Africa and Latin America. This is a substantial missed opportunity.
Mugabe showed that redistribution of land from Rich to Poor did nothing for raising people out of poverty. You gain little going to small plots of land, unless you are just aiming for subsistence farming.

Mugabe showed that redistribution of land from Rich to Poor did nothing for raising people out of poverty. You gain little going to small plots of land, unless you are just aiming for subsistence farming.

Also doesn't help that the new landowners had very limited agricultural expertise.

Elites tend to think farmers are dumb bumpkins, but you have to know what you're doing. Most of us could learn, but we'd need a lot of training and experience before we could live off the land.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
That said I think tax cuts would still be a part of modern GOP orthodoxy, but perhaps to a somewhat lesser extent of they aren't as dramatic under Reagan. (Who of course raised taxes multiple times anyway, but that's another matter).
The Ol’ Gipper definitely had a pragmatic streak on economics. On the other hand, many of his acolytes have seemingly wanted to out-Reagan Reagan!

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Richard Armitage was the leaker. Scooter Libby got busted for the coverup.
According to the NPR article, columnist Robert Novak said it was two administration sources.

Also doesn't help that the new landowners had very limited agricultural expertise.

Elites tend to think farmers are dumb bumpkins, but you have to know what you're doing. Most of us could learn, but we'd need a lot of training and experience before we could live off the land.
I don't think Mugabe's land reform program, which lasted over 25 years and went from "willing Seller, willing Buyer" to "compulsory acquisition, compulsory commercial investment into failing farms, state sponsored militia expulsion squads, etc." can be compared alongside the Asian Tiger economies.

Japan's program was pretty market friendly. "Between 1947 and 1949, approximately 5,800,000 acres (23,000 km2) of land (approximately 38% of Japan's cultivated land) was purchased from the landlords under the reform program and re-sold at extremely low prices (after inflation) to the farmers who worked them. By 1950, three million peasants had acquired land, dismantling a power structure that the landlords had long dominated". South Korea and Taiwan also were able to expropriate a large amount of formerly Japanese real estate post-WW2.

To address the thread's topic, Reagan is going to be seen as a lot less sympathetic/tough if he doesn't survive the assassination attempt. I still think he gets reelected in 84 but Iran-Contra will go over worse and the 82 energy crisis recession may last longer.

For the original question I would say about the same. For most of the prior 10-12 years we were experiencing some form of economic pain - gas lines, inflation, recession, high interest rates. By 1988 we were in better shape.

I remember from Bill Clinton's autobiography that in the 1980s, 60% of the country was better off and 40% was worse off. Clinton considered that a bad statistic, but it made Reagan the tallest midget. The contrast to Nixon/Ford/Carter made Reagan look better than he really was and that wouldn't change.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
ST_2015-12-09_middle-class-03.png

This is based on self reports, and I think people often do bump their income upward due to pride.

Please notice that 3% left the middle class in 1980s — 2% moved to “highest” perhaps as cascading effect upward, and 1% moved to “lowest” also perhaps as a cascading effect.

Yes, it could be worse. All the same, how good for the long-term stability and health of society?

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Donald-Regan-5.8.16.jpg

And on the subject of powerful people being immature . . .

Don Regan was Pres. Reagan’s Treasury Secretary for 1st term and his chief-of-staff the first two years of the 2nd.

He was going to be pushed out due to Iran Contra, management style rather than wrongdoing was to be blamed. His leaving was leaked, maybe from Nancy’s office.

Yes, Nancy didn’t get along with him and thought her husband was slow in getting rid of him.

Pres. Reagan apologized to him for the leak and asked him to stay on till the new guy got his footing.

and . . .

24B263F6-7983-459A-8709-C0AF315BAF28.jpeg

My goodness gracious, I think if someone with an important job asked me to stay on to help with the transition, I’d really try to find a way.

And it gets worse!

And a little over a year later, Don Regan wrote a book and he knew he could hurt Reagan the most by going after Nancy, and that’s what he did. And that’s how Nancy’s belief in astrology came to public attention.

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
“ . . The problem: Regan took the exactly opposite approach of Baker, putting his emphasis on the ‘chief’ in the title and not the ‘of staff.’ Over time Regan was given to boasting to reporters of his power and his ties to the President. . ”

“ . . And with that the fired Chief of Staff stalked out of the White House never to return. The two men never spoke again. . ”

I love that word and image— “stalked.” You can really see the man walking out. (and yes, I slightly increased the size of the text)

And this is the guy who was CEO of Merill Lynch during most of the 1970s, and in 1981 became President Reagan’s Secretary of the Treasury? I guess so.

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
1550.jpg

May 16, 1988
Ronald Reagan said— "I would have preferred it if he decided to attack me. From what I hear, he's chosen to attack my wife, and I don't look kindly on that at all."

I think this is largely taking the high road. I’m hoping other people really criticized and condemned Don Regan. And thus the president didn’t have to.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
91BwBSDHjbL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

Nancy: “Sometimes I also cried when he was around.”

Nancy to Joan Quigley: “I’m scared every time he leaves the house, and I don’t think I breath until he gets home. I cringe every time we step out of a car or leave a building. I’m afraid that one of these days someone is going to shoot at him again.”

Yes, Nancy took the danger to her husband really hard.

And about her consulting astrologer Joan Quigley, well, I’ll say this— it’s better than drinking!

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
patco-strike-faa.jpg

Reagan fired the striking air traffic controllers on Wednesday, August 5, 1981.
Well, first off, look at those great late ‘70s, now early ‘80s hairstyles, beard styles, mustache styles, as well as eye glasses.

This is filmmaker Michael Moore taking a strong pro-union stance.

And I think he generally makes a good point. The rest of corporate America took it as a sign that it was now socially acceptable to play hardball with unions.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
“ . . late 1985, Saudi Arabia abandoned its strategy of propping up prices, and instead began increasing production in order to increase market share. By July 1986, the average per-barrel free on board (FOB) price for OPEC crude oil had dropped to $9.85 from $23.29 in December 1985, . . ”

Although this hurt oil-producing states such as Texas and Louisiana, a price of $9.85 helped the overall U.S. economy.

And in a similar way, although it hurt oil-producing nations such as the Soviet Union, cheap oil in the mid-1980s helped the overall world economy.