Ready for Government: A British Politics Timeline

Even I'm my revised October 2015 election the swing from tory to lib mightve given Labour some Tory seats

I hate first past the post I really do
There's a website called electoral calculus which let's you plug in party vote shares and see what the results might be. It even let's you use proposed boundaries like the 600 seat boundaries proposed in 2013. That might be useful in terms of working out how many seats Labour might gain in this TL's October 2015 election.

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
There's a website called electoral calculus which let's you plug in party vote shares and see what the results might be. It even let's you use proposed boundaries like the 600 seat boundaries proposed in 2013. That might be useful in terms of working out how many seats Labour might gain in this TL's October 2015 election.

I used it for the revised 2010. By TTLs 2015 the Lib Dems have a lot more viable targets so it becomes less feasible. Ditto TTL has no SNP surge so

Even then it suggests as Stodge said that Labour could come first on seats third on votes. So I may yet change it. Which could be used as an argument for

Still I've tweaked the numbers for October a little again and may do again for the next draft. I don't want to tweak it again too much without rewriting the while TL

The plot that Labour and the Lib Dems have a solid majority stands and the idea that Labour have way too many seats for their votes is important too

Last edited:
I used it for the revised 2010. By TTLs 2015 the Lib Dems have a lot more viable targets so it becomes less feasible. Ditto TTL has no SNP surge so

Even then it suggests as Stodge said that Labour could come first on seats third on votes. So I may yet change it. Which could be used as an argument for

Still I've tweaked the numbers for October a little again and may do again for the next draft. I don't want to tweak it again too much without rewriting the while TL

The plot that Labour and the Lib Dems have a solid majority stands and the idea that Labour have way too many seats for their votes is important too
I completely agree that the way the popular vote/seats won shakes out in this TL adds enormous weight to the argument for electoral reform. The plot is well done and I’m looking forward to seeing how things develop 😀

The blog post style is good too, allows us to see how people might respond to events at the time. A constitutional convention would be sure to generate a lot of interest.

18th January 2016

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
18th January 2016

This post was going to be about Devolution which can be summed up as: Devo Max for Scotland, probably Wales too. I don't know enough about Northern Ireland to say definitively but I’d say more power if possible. England… I don't know. An all-England parliament is probably to unwieldy but do regional identities really exist and warrant devolved powers? The politics nerd in me wants devolution to happen. Knowing it though they’d put Gloucestershire in the Midlands or something.

Anyway. I wanted to write up about the Evans Amendment in the Lords. Baroness Evans, a Conservative Peer has added an amendment to the Constitutional Convention Bill. Under this Bill the Convention Body (currently 150 people, 100 elected, 50 appointed) would be bolstered by a further hundred people randomly selected from the population like some kind of mega jury duty and it went back to the Commons to be voted on.

I’m not sure what they’re trying to do with this. Maybe they’re hoping the public will be less pro-reform than the current 150? Maybe they think not being professional politicians they’ll be more easily swayed? They’ve wrapped it up in a lot of populism too. Its weird. I doubt it will pass the government majority though. Its a Tory amendment and the government has an majority of 46 plus the smaller parties.

I’d be terrified if I got picked. All that pressure on 100 random people. Even working alongside the elected officials, Lords, Bishops etc. I’m a friggin diletant! On the other hand thats kind of saying their opinion matters more because they’ve read up more. Yes advice from experts is valid (see my point on the Lords) but at the end of the day, my opinion on voting reform is just as valid as anyone else’s.

What do you think, folks?

EDIT, 20th January: The vote has passed! The Convention will now be 100 elecred, 100 randomly selected from the public and 50 appointed as in the original plans.

There was a significant Labour backbench rebellion (and abstentions), plus a unified Tory Party plus UKIP and the Unionist Parties, a few Lib Dems even voted for it. Well the news has been reporting about how some of Labour aren’t happy with the coalition. Especially with being a junior partner when they won the most seats. Anyway. Yeah, 302 Ayes, 266 Nays.

And sympathies and good luck to the poor 100 who get picked!

26th January 2016

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
26th January 2016

Blogpost: Emily’s thoughts on reform and the Constitutional Convention, Pt 3: Devolution

Right, lets actually do this! This one I’m not sure about. To split the countries in the UK up a second. I support Devo Max for Scotland and Wales. I’m not against a Scottish Independence referendum but I doubt the convention would allow that given the three biggest parties (plus UKIP) are all strictly unionist. An argument could be made for securing Unionism in Scotland by empowering the Holyrood Parliament and I don't see why Wales couldn’t be empowered along similar lines. It seems almost unfair that they don’t have the same powers as Edinbrugh. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will come up with a reason why this isn’t the case. \

For Northern Ireland. Better people than me should comment. I don't know enough about the ins and outs of the Good Friday agreement to comment but if it is possible to empower the Stormont assembly then by all means, go for it.

The big red and white elephant in the room is England. Do we just give England its own parliament with the same powers as the (hypothetically all devo-max’d ) other Parliament? If so it’d be bigger and represent way more people? Is that a problem? Should it be devolved by region? This latter concept would probably allow for closer scrutiny of laws, more regional coordination.

Something may shock you here reader. I might agree with Winston Churchill. I mean we have both been Liberals at one point or another.

In a speech on Home Rule in Ireland in Dundee in 1908 Churchill actually argued for regional devolution (hypothetically speaking). Any English parliament would contain an overwhelming part of the UK’s population (even more now after Irish independence) and should any English parliament disagree with the National (or federal) Parliament in Westminster “such a quarrel could tear the nation in half” and he suggested to solve this England be devolved into smaller regional Parliaments, much less powerful than Westminster.

He also (arguably) made the argument that regional Parliaments would better be able to reflect and cater to the needs of regional electorates.

“The affairs of forty-five millions of persons demand a far closer attention and a far more intimate knowledge than they can possibly receive from one Imperial Parliament.”

He’s wrong about the Imperial Parliament and about pretty much everything else but he might be on this one matter. Each area can be governed more carefully by regions. Whether they’d take some power from existing unitary authorities I don't know.

One thought I had was that of regional identity. Yes I’m from the west country and have the same vague accent as someone from Bristol, Exeter or Truro but do I relate to them that much? Churchill points out that regions like Lancashire or Yorkshire may have more unified identities but other areas may not. How applicable this is to today where people move around a lot more is another matter.

As awful a person as he was, in this one speech (I’ll share the link) he presents a good argument on principle for a devolved United Kingdom with English regional devolution.

The question is do the parties agree? Obviously the nats all support Devo Max and the Lib Dems support federalism but is that a majority? UKIP supports an English parliament but would they want England undivided? Would Labour support this? Would the Tories? Thinking about seats. Labour might hold North East, North West and Midlands Parliaments but the Tories the Southern England and East Anglian Parliaments and the Lib Dems might be able to squeeze out a majority or coalition in the South West! The Greens would probably back this, more opportunities to get representation, especially if it was under some kind of PR but would this argument put the bigger parties off it?

My main argument against it is money. Its more politics, more elections, more civil servants, more wages but more jobs? Plus if it was put together badly then there could be horrendous arguments over who is in charge of what.

And the arguments for which city has the capital could be vicious!

I think I’m for a fully Federal UK but I don't know if the rest of the UK is. I don’t know about being an MP but a Member of the Wessex Assembly or whatever? Emily Fletcher MWA. No that sounds like I’m blowing you a kiss.

What do you think?

Emily *mwa!*

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
Side Note: When parliament opened in November 2015. Dennis Skinner's remark was "Hang on, I've still got to put my orange tie on!"

March 21st 2016

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
Short post. didnt want to entirely brush over the spring budget before moving onto the convention

March 21st 2016

Sorry I haven't been posting much. After spending a lot of last year campaigning in elections I thought it best to take a few months off. I submitted my answers to the Constitutional Convention survey. My answers on human rights were mostly returning to the ECHR and enshrining that in law even if we left the EU. I suggested it expand to cover gender identity to try and prevent transphobes using language of “sex based” as opposed to gender. I also proposed that same sex marriage be enshrined in the convention but that wont happen. Maybe only good thing Cameron did and even then he relied on Lib and Lab to get it through.

Quickfire of what I’ve missed.

Governments abolished the bedroom tax, good stuff.

They’ve unveiled plans for a National Childcare service but thats going to take ages to sort out

Aaand Danny Alexander's first budget. Summary-
  • Lib Dem led plans to replace business rates with a Land Value tax has got the right wing press shitting themselves with anger. The coalition are doing a decent job of presenting a unified face. At least on the front bench. If online is anything to go by the Lib Dem and Labour back benches hate each other.
  • Raise in tax-free allowance to £12,500. Solid stuff
  • Bringing back the 50p top income tax rate for those earning over £150,000
  • Mansion tax on properties worth over a million
  • Stricter laws on tax avoidance
  • A levy on banks which essentially reverses Tory corporation tax cuts
  • Return of the 50p tax rate. Presumably this was Labour’s contribution
  • Establishment of a British Business Bank to invest to SMEs. Good call.
  • Likewise, a green investment bank.

I dont know if I’ll post any more until the campaigns for the constitutional convention elections start on the 28th of April to be honest.

25th April 2016

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
25th April 2016

Right for reference, future Emily. This from here forwards is when it turned back into a diary from a blog. Maybe I’ll put it in a book or something someday?

Please not the first draft might as well have been a sound file of me saying the word “fuck” at various volumes. I’ll try and chronicle what the shit is going on.

So, to try and assess what the fuck is going on I should talk things through. The constitutional convention is about six weeks away. The PM is going to launch the Lib Dem’s proposals next Monday. Despite my hopes for a joint platform the Deputy PM is actually going to announce his proposals the Friday before. Jeremy Hunt some time after that, etc etc.

Cool, campaigning time, I thought. It’d be interesting to see what the party went with. I mean you could probably guess but still. It wasn't really the one that interested me. How hard would Labour lean into reform? Would the Tories support anything?

Then, this afternoonI received a letter in a brown envelope. Never a good sign. I opened it and read. I had been invited to serve for the six months (from Monday 26th of June) as a member of the constitutional assembly as one of the hundred members of the public for which I would be paid seventy thousand pounds per annum! I would be required to spend those six months discussing, proposing and debating parts of a British Constitution. I would be assisted in this by members of the civil service.

I was stunned. I sat looking at the letter for quite some time. Did I want to do this? I’d be paid thirty five grand for it! It also said my employers would be compensated for my time lost. I didn’t really care about that. It’d involve spending June to Christmas in central London and accommodation would be provided. Surely this was something I wanted to do but to be honest, future Emily? I nearly said no there and then.

Steph got home about half an hour after I did. She asked what was wrong and I handed her the envelope. “This is so fucking cool!” she remarked and hugged me. She was concerned when I didn’t hug her back. “It is,” she paused “fucking cool, right?”
“Yes, It is, just,” I paused. “It's so big! And am I not disqualified?”
“Why?”
“I’m a Lib Dem,”
“And? They’ve probably picked Tories and Labour supporters,”
“A Lib Dem campaigner,”
“And?”
“With a blog”
“That’s read by like the same six people, no offence,”
“And a campaigner for the Minister for the Constitutional Convention!”
“Fucking big coincidence, sure! But it's done now! Go for it! You are directly pushing for change this way!”
“I probably will be disqualified from campaigning though?”
“Big fucking whoop, we’ll deliver leaflets without you,” Steph said and kissed me on the cheek. I really do love her,
“Okay! I mean, I’ll have to hand in notice to work, and um, we might have to do the long distance thing, I don't know if I can pay for here and London,”
“I can always move in with my Uncle and Aunt, they adore me,”
“Now they do,”
“Oh, now she thinks having a bisexual neice is cool,” I sniffed. I noticed I was almost crying.
“Okay,” I smiled.

So here I am. Tomorrow morning I’ll phone the office of the Constitutional Convention as well as send my formal response. In six weeks I’m moving to London!

-Emily Fletcher CCD (Constitutional Convention Delegate)

27th April 2016

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
OOC: Sorry, bit of a brain fart on this one.

26th April

I did not send my response today. Emily of 25/4 was far too keen. Instead I woke up in a panic. Called in sick to work. This was a lie but I knew I wouldn’t be able to focus. For some reason, rather than contact the office of the Constitutional Convention and rather proving the concern that I am too connected to the Minister for the convention I rang his office and sent him a DM on Twitter. I figured Martin Horwood didn’t run his own Twitter but I figured the message would get to him.

After five hours and assuming I had a direct hotline to the Minister for the Constitutional Convention I contacted the number on the letter. After a little while I got through to a civil servant named Cariad. By this point I was pacing the living room and irritating the cat in the process.
“Emily, hi, my name’s Cariad, I’m one of the people who are going to facilitate the public component of the Constitutional Convention, how can I help?”
“Hi Cariad, yeah I wanted to talk about the letter?”
“Is something wrong?” she said, hearing the concern in my voice.
“Yeah, I think there might be a conflict of interest,”
“How so, we did carry out background checks on all people before contacting them,”
“Yes but I’m a Lib Dem,” I insisted
“People with political opinions are a valid part of the public,” she said calmly, utterly at odds with me panicking at the other end of the phone.
“I’m a card carrying Lib Dem, I’ve been a campaigner and leafleter for Martin Horwood, you know, the Minister for the Constitutional Convention, MP for Cheltenham,”
“I’m familiar with the Minister, yes, I still don’t see a problem,”
“Isn’t that a bit,” I paused “dodgy sounding, I’ve literally volunteered for the man in charge of the system,”
“Yes it's a coincidence you’ve worked for the Minister but your opinion as a member of the public is just as valid as anyone else's, we would’ve just as likely offered a position to someone who’d campaigned for the Prime Minister, the Deputy Prime Minister, the Leader of the opposition, the First Minister of Scotland,”
“I get the idea, okay, just,” I sighed, “okay, so it wasn’t a mistake,”
“It definitely wasn’t,” she said positively, “The public delegates to the Convention will be from a wide range of backgrounds and have a range of political opinions,” she said calmly in such a way I found it very hard to get angry at or stay stressed at.
“Right, okay I’ll, um,” I paused “I’ll have a think,”

So here I am typing up my feelings. Either they did pick me intentionally to sneak another Lib Dem onto the panel in which case do I withdraw or do I go with it. At the end of the day I do want the Lib Dems to succeed so do I go along with it. If its a coincidence then there’s a one in about 600 chance of them being a Lib Dem member and to be a campaigner specifically for Martin Horwood? That’s about thirty people out of a county of seventy million. Maybe I should just go ahead with it. I’ll let the government decide if they want me to stand down.

Still though, I’m making my Twitter private.

And Martin Horwood still hasn’t gotten back to me.

2nd May 2016

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
2nd May 2016

Handed in my notice today although I didn't tell them why I was leaving beyond having found another job. I think they think I’m going to GCHQ as I’m being incredibly secretive about everything.

The PM launched his Constitutional Convention platform today. It was pretty familiar. STV roughly by county (by seats of 3-6 constituencies, based on current constituencies. STV to be used for local authorities as well as is it in Scotland.

Lords to be elected by proportional representation by region not unlike the Euros. Lords to be limited to 400.

Rather than Labour’s blueprint for devolution the PM said he would offer devolution on demand for regions by referendums for cities and regions. While non devolved areas would be legislated from Westminster under laws for English Votes for English Laws. They also call for the enshrining of the conditions of the ECHR in the UK convention as well as outlining the ability for UK residents regardless of citizenship to vote in general elections as well as Euros, locals and “regionals” should they apply to your region.

I don't really need to copy out the Lib Dem platform, I agree with it, more or less. I’m a Lib Dem. Would that just make me another Lib Dem delegate. If you look at my blog posts about what I’d submitted to the public survey thats pretty much the Lib Dem policy. Should I consider other ways of doing it and give my opinion not as a Lib Dem but as a member of the public.

Thinking about it, when it comes to devolution while I agree with the idea of putting it to a referendum if one area votes yes and another no this could lead to a rump English Parliament with chunks bitten out of it. On the other hand having one blanket referendum for England defeats the point of having regional parliaments to listen to regional opinions even if the Labour mass devolution plan would be tidier. I do think all devolved bodies, or at least all devolved bodies in England need the same level of power, otherwise this could complicate things further. As for full on independence they’ve already been criticised by the SNP for not putting provisions for independence votes in their constitution proposal. Online Lib Dems have stressed its the constitution of the UNITED Kingdom and that NI is very different. Plaid are less noisy, presumably staying quiet in the hopes of getting Welsh Devo Max.

We’ve been told where we’ll be working today. 20 Bedford Way. A rather unassuming conference centre has been block booked for the six month period. No news on accommodation yet but Cariad assures me we will at least be put in hotels by the time of the start of the Convention.

Meanwhile, looking online its become common knowledge that the public members of the Convention have been contacted and a few people have come forward. Almost reassuringly I’m not the first party member to be “discovered” as a UKIP voter named Rob Thompson has come forward as a CCD. That’s almost reassuring that I won’t be the first politically active person to be revealed. Thanks Rob, you jerk. I’m wondering when and if the public delegates will be revealed to the wider public and if so, when. I’ve contacted Cariad at the MCC to see if she knows this. Heaven knows what’ll happen when its released. I’m sure the tabloids will have a field day with my story. Maybe I’m pessimistic? I don’t know.

3rd May 2016

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
REALLY not sure about this one, may change and I'm open to opinions!!

3rd May 2016

Thought I’d make notes of the Tories proposals for the convention for future reference. I dont know what I was expecting. I get the feeling the coalition has forced their hand when it comes to reform and they are on damage control.

They’re calling for the introduction of the Alternative vote for the commons. Perhaps thinking they can win over anti-Labour Lib Dem votes and Anti-Lib/Lab kipper votes. Some noise was also made about English votes for English matters.

They’re shrinking the Lords down to 585, same as the commons.40% appointed by an independent committee 60% elected under the single transferable vote. In thirds to a fifteen year term and in the interim, those lords with the highest attendance would make up the smaller house of lords.

This also surprised me. Maybe they know the coalition and their smaller party palls will bring in some kind of elected system and they want to be on the right side of history. Maybe they’re hoping the other parties will settle on their idea as a compromise.

They also specified they were happy with the British Bill of Rights of 2013 and nothing was changing from that.

The speech was big on rhetoric from Jeremy Hunt like he wasn’t in government for the last six years. Lots of talk of people losing trust in politics, wanting to empower people. Alternative vote was spun as delivering strong and stable governments compared to systems of proportional representation. Keeping the link between MP and constituency. The Lords reform was actually quite well put. Standing up for its current role while pointing out that if people are to put their trust in the Lords it should be appointed. Fuck me when even they are calling for reform.

Of course, immediately some backbenchers spoke out against the plans. The old fart brigade said they should stick with First Past the Post otherwise the “chaotic coalition” would be the norm and that the Lords is fine how it is etc etc.

The first polls for the assembly came out today. Notable thing is the number of “won't votes” that are on the responses, let alone those who didn't even answer the survey. Only about 70% said they’d vote for someone and the voting isn’t that far from current polling for Commons elections.

On a national average The big four stand at
Lib Dem: 27%
Conservative: 26%
Labour 21%
UKIP: 12%

But this includes big swings towards Plaid and especially the SNP who are already saying they will push for constitutional guarantees of mechanisms for leaving the United Kingdom but I doubt they’ll get that through. The one thing the Lib Dems, Tories and Labour can agree on is unionism.

Not that I get a vote. It turns out

6th May 2016

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
6th May 2016

I seem to only talk about politics in this diary but it is kinda looking over me like some great monolith. Even when I talk to Steph it's about politics, it's almost absurd! Future Emily, I promise I did talk about other things, I’m just recording this as it might be relevant. Maybe I’m writing it with one wanker-ish eye towards a biography when I’m Senator Fletcher or some bollocks.

We were having dinner this evening and she put her cutlery down. For a split second I thought she was going to break up with me. “Em?”
“This sounds ominous,”
“I know you’re probably sick of hearing about politics,”
“You know full well that I’m not,” I replied jokingly.
“I’m thinking of joining Labour,” she quickly said, bluntly.
“What, for the election or just in general,”
“In general, you know I was always to the left of the Lib Dems, to the left of you a bit,”
“Yeah, and now it looks like we’re getting reform and a bit more choice in politics,”
“So now you can choose and Labour are committing to electoral reform you want to go with a party that more generally reflects your opinions,”
“Yeah and a lot of people are saying Burnham will stand down after the convention and I’d like to influence, in one way or another, who the next leader is, I mean I’m already in a union,” there was a pause “okay, I mean, its not like I’m campaigning too so we wouldn’t awkwardly bump into each other,”
“Well there is that,” she smiled a little nervously. “And its not like I’m abandoning the Lib Dems all together, half the systems that are being proposed I could support the Lib Dems under STV, AMS, AV, whatever the fuck else,”
“We are such dorks,” I laughed.
“We really, really are,”

I really do love her.

I think I’m going to take a break from politics now. I’m not allowed to vote in the convention and I feel awkward campaigning so I might take a few weeks off and let my twitter feed get really heavily into cat pictures. Maybe I’ll write about something else here. I doubt it.

8th June 2016

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
8th June 2016

Writing this from the Holiday Inn, Bloomsbury because our housing as delegates hasn’t been arranged yet. I’ve got just under a week until the Convention meets in full and a couple of days before the election. I’d hoped to spend a day or two in London with Steph even if that just meant chilling in a pub in Camden or being a big ol’ tourist around Westminster. Instead here I am writing, drinking decaff coffee from our two person complimentary coffee.

They told us about the hotel as our train was passing through Kemble. It took about five attempts as I kept losing reception. It's a Tory constituency. I blame them. Be afraid Tories, we are coming for your voting system.

We arrived at Paddington in a bad mood and headed for our new hotel. Even then I was a bit thrilled about being on the underground. Something about it sets off my small town brain in a state of wonder. We arrived at the Holiday Inn only to then discover my hotel room was a twin and not a double and that I would be sharing it with another delegate. After a brief period of being stressed I dumped my suitcase in the room and we quickly headed off to make as much of our day as possible.

Camden was Camden. Incredibly commercialised and yet kinda trashy. Lots of window shopping. I’d return once my first payday came in. Although no doubt I’d end up in the media. Did I want to look metal AF if I could pivot this into a career? I was told we were having a formal launch of the convention and I needed to buy something smart. Part of me wanted to rock up to the event in something like an japanese lolita dress or something similarly weird.

A brief shopping trip turned into pints at The World’s End, a big alternative feeling place opposite Camden Tube Station that variously sells cheese toasties and Thai curries. I went for the latter, Steph on the former (she then dipped her toastie in my curry, gross).

Reluctantly around seven we said our goodbyes and she headed back to Paddington to head straight back to Chelt and I returned to the hotel, quite alone in the capital. It suddenly all hit me so I started typing up the day, got about to the last paragraph. Then my roommate entered with her baggage. In her mid to late 30s with long pale blonde hair to the point where I almost couldn’t see her eyebrows. She offered a hand. “Kirsten McCullough,”
“Emily Fletcher,” I shook it.
“So you signed up to super jury duty too, eh?” she smiled. She had a scottish accent but I couldn’t place it anywhere else.
“Yep, thought I’d do my,” I pause “Civic duty?” I paused again and sat on my bed. “That makes me sound like a wanker,” I sighed “sorry, just, stressed out. I’d planned a couple of days with my girlfriend about London before all this starts,”
“Sorry I stole your girlfriends bed,” Kirsten said, we both laughed. There was a long pause.
“So where did you travel from?” she asked.
“Cheltenham, Gloucestershire,”
“The horse racing town, aye?”
“That’s the one, horse racing and spying on people, you?”
“Oh, Glasgow,” she smiled. There was a pause. I wasn’t sure what to talk about.
“Have you been watching all the party proposals,” she asked
“Yeah, I’m a bit of a nerd like that,”
“Oh no, its good to be into it, especially now that you got picked as a delegate,”
“I’m actually a card carrying Lib Dem, I’ve got to admit, delivered leaflets and everything,”
“You must be quite happy with what’s going on,”
“Oh yeah, definitely,”
“To be honest I voted SNP in both of last years generals. Then in last months Parliamentary elections I voted SNP for local and Green on the list,”
“Damn, jealous of all that voting,” I said in a joking kind of way, but meaning it.
“Well you might get your chance, to vote for a,” she paused. “M S W P, member of south West Parliament?”
“Wessex?” I suggested”
“MWP?” she frowned. Another awkward pause. “D’you fancy a pint?”
“Sure, London prices though,”
Oh aye but we’re on delegate money,”
“Then sure, Ms CCD,” I smiled.

We went to a nearby generic pub and I bought the first round. With a bit of social lubrication we moved off of politics, got to know each other. What we did before.I explained my boring call centre job and mentioned Steph. She was a nurse but felt she couldn’t turn down this opportunity, plus it paid better,”
“The world always needs nurses, I’m sure I’ll get back to it after December once we’re the federal Kingdom of Great Britain or whatever,”
“Not hoping for independence?” I asked, unable to resist talking politics again
“Hoping, aye, but the unionist parties have come together and said that any constitutional function for independence from the Union would be a union wide matter which means English delegates can vote for it which means it won’t happen or it’ll be exceedingly hard, and Big Alex hasn’t managed to get a pro independence majority yet, not with your lot holding onto them,” she paused then exhaled “We’re going to be mingling with all of them soon,”
“I mean, I already know the Minister for the Convention, Martin Horwood, he’s my MP,” I said sheepishly,
“So you’re a campaigner for the minister in charge of this and you get picked as one of the hundred?” she said, her eyebrows raising.
“I know, I know!” I said defensively, “It sounds dodgy as all heck but I promise it was random chance,”
“Oh I believe you, just impressive, have you met anyone else involved in this?”
“I met the PM last year, he briefly stopped by in a neighbouring constituency we were targeting, you?”
“I met Patrick Harvie, the Green co-leader last month, nice guy, apparently he’s running to be a Delegate for the scottish Greens,”

We then moved onto a different subject. With a force of will on my part. We then returned to our hotel room. Too drunk and tired to type. I put off finishing my diary until the morning.

Good morning Emily.

10th June 2016

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
10th June 2016

Good morning Emily. I am putting off work. Well I’m kind of putting off work. Delegates have been sent a copy of the findings of the three month long survey of the British public. Apparently the parties had all been sent this too but I get the feeling they would’ve come to their same conclusions anyway.

The election happened yesterday. I spent most of the day sitting on my hotel bed moping. Still no update on actual housing and sharing a room with a complete (if friendly) stranger. Kirsten had friends to visit in London so headed off there. I’d considered asking if anyone on Twitter wanted to meet up but the problem with my Twitter mostly being politics is that they were all busy with the last day of the elections. Meeting up with a few of them tonight and over the weekend, which should be nice. A potential night out in London sounds terrifying to my brain that still sees Cheltenham as a busy metropolis.

I had no idea where to go and was still kind of tired and stressed from yesterday, also it is raining heavily so rather than play solo tourist I am sat in the corner of the St Pancras station Starbucks. I find Train stations kind of relaxing. On my way back from university I’d change at Bristol Parkway or Temple meads. I like people watching and there’s something relaxing about the temporary space of it all. I don’t know. I don't like that you can’t see the trains from St Pancras though.

The report is big to say the least. I’m kind of writing this diary entry to wrap my head around it. I’m not diving into the individual statistics which is presented in the appendix but the report the Ministry of the Constitutional Convention wrote on it is interesting. Maybe my thoughts will repeat themselves. If this ever gets turned into a book I’ll edit it down.

Starting with electoral reform of the Commons. People identify with having a local MP. They like having an MP that they can contact and speak to but they also want their vote to count more and results to be proportional. This suggests support for something like AMS or AV+. On the other hand would several MPs for a wider area be acceptable. Like, I wouldn’t have a Cheltenham MP but I could go to a bunch of Gloucestershire MPs and find the one most receptive to my issue. A lot of people like how simple FPTP is, they like the whole one vote thing whereas others quite like being able to rank people and would accept their second choice would be acceptable. So there’s evidence for pretty much every system. I’d say the evidence backs STV but I would say that.

A lot of people don’t like the House of Lords, it seems. They don’t like that they’re unelected. A lot of people don’t really know what they do. Some like the idea of a group of advisors but still say that they should be elected.

On devolution a lot of people actually say they’d quite like a local government similar to London Wales or Scotland. Which surprised me. There wasn’t that much talk about devolution prior to either of the 2015 elections but it seems to have gotten people's attention. Support seems to be stronger away from the South East. I bet you someone will suggest moving Parliament to York or Leeds or somewhere vaguely central.

On rights people vary a bit. Some people specifically mention the ECHR. Others say that prisoners can’t vote. A lot of people say that all people legally residing in the UK should vote. There’s so many different opinions. On top of these, people want new parliaments in the regions, elections for Lords and everything else but also want less government and less expenditure.

The whole report is frustratingly vague and will probably justify any policy. I think as usual it'll come down to party Delegates backing their parties manifesto and hoping they can convince us Public delegates to support them. So I’m wondering do I try and think it through myself or do I kick back and back the Lib Dem platform. I’m technically not a Lib Dem. I am a Public Delegate… who happens to vote and support and campaign for the Lib Dems. Are the Lib Dems proposing what I want? This whole thing has filled my brain. Maybe I should just go shopping or watch a film. Anything to drain my brain of constitutional politics.

A man just slipped while running for his train. I promise I didn’t laugh.

Bolt451

Gone Fishin'
Any opinions?

Now that I'm finding the format and tone I'm a little tempted to redo what I've done so far. In a consistent format.

Also IDK if the first few years make sense given the style of the later stuff.I think going back and rewriting the intro will help me work out how to write the characters going forward. I dealt with earlier events quite dryly (and in a different formay) I think if I went back and rewrote it I could see how the characters interacted with those events which would help me work out how they'd deal with upcoming events

Also we have zero reason to give a fuck about Emily or Steph and I want to go back and change that.

I'm a little tempted in later drafts to make Steph the Lib Dem and Emily be her apolitical girlfriend who ends up a constitutional convention delegate. It'd make more sense at her explaining the systems as she's trying to work things out herself. Also it'd create tension if Emily is suddenly a delegate when Steph is the super political one.