README/FAQ: How the Timelines and Scenarios forum works

Ian the Admin

Administrator
Donor
This forum is intended to showcase longer, more developed alternate history scenarios. Especially those that are "finished" or no longer actively discussed, so they don't get lost in the Discussion forum.

Debates about the timelines shouldn't take place here - thread creators can post a link to a Discussion forum thread for debate, so that it doesn't happen in the middle of posting more parts of a timeline. Preferably, put the link at the top of your first post. (If you forget to do this, ask a mod to put the link into your post).

Each scenario must be at least 2000 words. So when you start a thread, the first post must be at least 2000 words.

All new threads are moderated - threads don't show up until they're approved by the moderator. Mods check if it's long enough, belongs in this forum, and so on. ASB scenarios are allowed if they're internally consistent (mods have some discretion).

Current moderators are: Chris, MBarry, Othniel.

How to move yout scenario from the Discussion forum:

Threads will not be moved from Discussion, you need to repost the scenario here (cut and paste it into a new thread here). It's nice to include a link to the original thread, but don't put *just* a link.

Multiple posts/threads:

Each scenario must stay in *one thread*, don't start new threads to add to the same scenario. Either add another post to the original thread, or PM a mod to paste it into the end of your original post.

Editing posts:

If you want to edit the initial post of your scenario, PM the new version of the *entire post* to a mod.

200,000 character limit:

There is currently a 200,000 character per post limit on this board. So, really long scenarios may be unable to fit in one post. Put as much as you can into the first post of your new thread. Once it is approved, add the rest in more posts.

Posting scenarios not written by you:

Only in very limited cases should you post a scenario that you yourself did not write.

1. You have the explicit permission of the original author.
2. You are the editor of the website/ezine in which it originally appeared.
3. It was originally posted to one of the alternatehistory.com Discussion forums.

Warning on Prose/Short stories:

The reason the Writer's Forum exists is so that you can post a story that can only be read by members. If you post it here, it can be read by the general public, so that is considered a form of *publication*. Do not do that if you ever plan on trying to sell the story.

Darkest

Banned
Question, just to see if I get this.

If you want to add another update to your timeline, you just post a reply to your timeline thread in this forum? Or do you have to PM a moderator to post the reply for you?

Thank you,
Darkest90

Diamond

Banned
Ian the Admin said:
"On topic" means:

1. It's not something which would belong in the ASB forum.
So does this mean my Washington's Warlocks timeline wouldn't be allowed? :(
That doesn't seem right...

Yes - and that's several months back!

I would drudge up other TL's - such as the Third Hittite Empire - but alas, I do not have the link.

DoD would work here as well as Prince of Peace....and Answers for Milinda. (sp?)

Ian the Admin

Administrator
Donor
G.Bone said:

See above:

Ian the Admin said:
How to move stuff from Discussion:

If you have a scenario in Discussion that you believe has become well developed enough to merit an entry in Timelines and Scenarios, basically just paste it into a post of at least 2000 words, and create a new thread in Timelines and Scenarios. Threads will not be moved from Discussion. You can put a link to the original Discussion thread in your post.

Ian the Admin

Administrator
Donor
Modified the description that ASB stuff and short stories/fiction are OK, with two caveats. ASB stuff should be internally consistent (mods need to use some judgement there), and if you ever plan on trying to sell a story don't post it anywhere except the Writer's Forum.

Okay, I have a question. Are we (as fans) allowed to post replies in a timeline. Or is this forum just for completed, or close to completed timeliens without any of the bagge that the other forums have. I'm not really clear on that.

Diamond

Banned
The way I understood it is, the original thread will still remain in the other forums for comments, rough-drafting, whatever. Then the polished product goes here.

Anything the writer feels is important to the timeline goes here. If there is no discussion thread the fan could make one, therorically. All and all I believe that every writter should be linked to a thread outside of this forum for discussion and polishing.

Ian the Admin

Administrator
Donor
I just added a note to the FAQ saying that debates about a TL should take place in Discussion, not here. If you want people to easily discuss your TL, put a link to a Discussion thread at the top of your first post. Or, if you forget, ask a mod to put one in for you.

I just wanted to mention that I'd prefer to hold off on putting any of my (few) timelines up here, in case anyone was dying to see them. :rolleyes:

The Roman Timeline and Saeculorum Romanorum are just different drafts of the same concept. And, as a teaser, I'm working on a new draft. :cool:
But, if you guys would like to see them here, I've no objections to it, I just would think that it'd be best to have just the latest draft (whenever it gets done).

As for the March of Days Yet Born, would you believe I actually haven't hit the 2000 word mark? It makes sense though, cuz its pretty bare bones in the actual timeline.

Darkest

Banned
Compare each update of the MoDYB with Earth Ascendant. They are quite complete opposites when it comes to length. I probably have 2000 words just with two years. :rolleyes:

The thing is, DN is having much more fun than I have; I can't wait until I break free from the current age and am able to create as I wish without people clawing out my guts because of imperfection.

Could we have a stickyed index thread with links to the timelines, and information about the point of divergence, time span covered, format, author etc. etc. ?

Justin Pickard said:
Could we have a stickyed index thread with links to the timelines, and information about the point of divergence, time span covered, format, author etc. etc. ?
If you want to write it up I'll approve it for you...and sticky it.

Quick note would be posters in this forum:

I'm rejecting alot of posts. Not that they're is anything wrong with it, it's just not devolped. Bring some more substainal information, or flesh out the timeline, then we're good to go.

Matt

I'm thinking of sending my Aurora Australia here

Do I just have to PM you or one of the other mod the word doc

In its current font its 84 pages or 57551 words 277000 unspaced characters or 334000 spaced:eek:

Syphon said:
Matt

I'm thinking of sending my Aurora Australia here

Do I just have to PM you or one of the other mod the word doc

In its current font its 84 pages or 57551 words 277000 unspaced characters or 334000 spaced:eek:
Just post up to 200,000 charcters worth in this forum, and I'll have Matt read and approve it. (Its his turn this week..;) :p ) After that you can post the rest.