Ranking the Union Corps Commanders

While reading about Napoleon's Marshals, I came across an interesting statement. The author said that while not all of them were brilliant, none were terribly incompetent either. Not knowing that much about the Napoleonic Wars yet, I do not have the knowledge to affirm or deny this claim, but I started thinking about this in comparison to something I do know, the American Civil War. I wondered how well this statement could apply to the Union army corps commanders, roughly the equivalent of a Napoleonic Marshal. Realizing that the Civil War produced many generals who would technically fit the definition of corps commanders, I decided to apply some rules to make the number smaller.
  • They have to be Union infantry commanders from the Eastern Theater. (if this idea is popular, I'll probably make a separate thread for those excluded by this rule)
  • They need to have served as a corps commander long enough for an accurate judgment to be made, so this list will not include men like George Meade, Dan Butterfield, George Stoneman, Jacob Cox, Charles Griffin, Andrew Humphreys etc. (This rule is pretty subjective, and there is definite space to argue who should be included or not)
  • They will only be considered for their time as an Eastern Theater corps commander. This will help some (Hooker, Burnside) and hurt others (Howard)
  • The generals will be placed into one of five categories: Distinguished, Capable, Competent, Subpar, and Incompetent
With these parameters set out, I will list my thoughts, and I am eager to hear the thoughts of others. I am in no way 100% set behind most of the rankings on my list

Distinguished:
1. Winfield S. Hancock: IMHO, Hancock is unquestionably the Army of the Potomac's top tier corps commander, and would certainly be in or near the top five Union corps commanders of the war. Hancock combined a tactical genius with extreme bravery to form a brilliant reputation. While certainly not the perfect soldier he is sometimes depicted as, Hancock was a soldier's soldier if there ever was one. Combining his natural talent with one of the Army of the Potomac's best fighting forces, the II Corps, and it is hardly surprising that he is in this position.
Winfield_Hancock-246x300.jpg

Capable:
2. Joseph Hooker: Although he would manage to effectively besmirch himself with his time as army commander, Hooker's service as a corps commander was surprisingly good. Aggressive possibly to a fault, Stephen Sears might have put it best when he said that Hooker was a general that marched to his own drum. While not possessing Hancock's tactical mind, Hooker seemed the second incarnation of Phil Kearny with all his bravery, dash, and bravado, although he was slightly easier to reign in than the one-armed New Jersey general. He provided a refreshing breath of aggression in a time when the Army of the Potomac was much deprived of that resource.
unnamed.png

3. Henry W. Slocum: While not a man to keep his opinions to himself, especially the negative ones, Slocum was a hard fighter. When push came to shove, he and his criminally underrated command, the XII Corps, put their nose to the grindstone, as demonstrated at Chancellorsville in stopping Jackson's flank attack. Unlike some commanders, he performed well regardless if he liked or disliked his commander. Off the field, he could be merciless and conniving to a perceived inferior, although he did not do this in pursuit of a command like Hooker.
Henry_Warner_Slocum.jpg

4. John F. Reynolds: Reynolds was always a corps commander on the brink of brilliancy. At Fredericksburg, his first major battle as a corps commander, one of his divisions under Meade managed to break through the CSA line, and despite, or perhaps as a result of accompanying Meade and his division, what could have been a brilliant opportunity was lost, although it could be argued William B. Franklin should be held responsible for this. Later at Chancellorsville, he was moving his I Corps to guard the right flank, but arrived too late to prevent Jackson's assault. At his final battle at Gettysburg, he began movements that could have possibly swept Heth from the field if executed properly, but was fatally struck down. Despite never achieving the glory of a brilliant maneuver, Renyolds was nevertheless a very dependable officer.
220px-J_Renyolds.jpg

5. Jesse L. Reno: I debated myself back and forth about including Reno in the list of men, and later where to position him. Reno was personally a brave officer, beloved by his troops and colleagues, and had much potential for the future. Unfortunately, he would die similar to Reynolds, as both men went down while serving the role of a colonel or brigade commander, rather than a corps commander. I'll give Reno the benefit of the doubt and place him here on the ranking.
220px-JLReno.jpg

Competent:
6. John Sedgwick: Beloved by his VI Corps boys, and trusted and liked by his superior officers, Sedgwick was all around a competent corps commander. In fact, he personified this better than many others, never achieving the heights of brilliancy or the depths of stupendous failure. Sedgwick was just a veteran officer who could be relied upon to perform a maneuver that a lesser officer might have otherwise mishandled or botched. Sedgwick was just a comforting presence to be around, and an officer that could be trusted in most situations.
John%20Sedgwick.jpg

7. Horatio Wright: Made in a similar mold to his VI Corps predecessor, Wright was not brilliant at tactics, although he was slightly better at them then Sedgwick. When under a capable officer, Wright could perform well, although in independent command he would serve less so. The reason that Wright is below Sedgwick is simply because he never managed to gain the devotion from his fellow officers and soldiers that Sedgwick gathered throughout his career.
Horatio%20G.%20Wright.jpg

8. Gouverneur K. Warren: Receiving command of a corps following distinguished service as a staff officer at Gettysburg, Warren probably would have benefitted from more time spent with the infantry before assuming such a high command. He had a knack for getting himself on the wrong side of his superiors, which would ultimately cost him his command. Despite this, Warren was a strategic officer, who often demonstrated his ability to apply common sense to a situation and preferred thinking things out before entering action. When he did enter the battle, however, he usually was able to serve in a competent, if not distinguished, manner.
Gouverneur%20K.%20Warren.jpg

9. Fitz J. Porter: A man who effectively attached his career to that of McClellan, it probably would have gone better for him if he let his own talent get him his promotions. While not an aggressive officer, Porter could hold a line. He also was much more humble than many of his fellow officers. If not for Pope’s smear campaign following Second Bull Run, and if he had not made himself almost synonymous with McClellan, then he might have reached higher levels of command, or at least stayed in the Army of the Potomac longer.
Fitz-John%20Porter.jpg

10. George Sykes: Sykes seems to be made in a similar mold to Porter, sans the intense loyalty to McClellan. While not gifted with the ability to effectively perform the complex requirements of offensive actions, Sykes was a man he could be trusted to hold the line in most situations, although history did not see how he would fare in more difficult circumstances due to his relief from command prior to the Overland Campaign.
george-sykes-large-56a61b423df78cf7728b5e91.jpg

11. Darius N. Couch: Couch has come to define what an average corps commander was in my opinion. During his time as commander, he would perform no amazing feats of military ingenuity, nor would have a dark stain on his legacy. Despite not being a bad commander, it was undoubtedly for the best of the II Corps that Hancock took the command from Couch, who was beginning to feel indifferent to his command, which likely would have resulted in decreased performance.
darius-couch-1-5680aca83df78ccc15a76bcc.jpg

12. Edwin V. Sumner: Due to his terrible showing at Antietam, in which he launched disorganized attacks that resulted in many more casualties than there should have been, I was tempted to put Sumner in the subpar category. Due to his heroics in the Seven Days Campaign, where he was able to guard the Army of the Potomac’s retreat and successfully extricate his command, I decided I would place him in the competent category, if just barely. It seemed that as the war wore on, Sumner began to wear out, and showed it in his ability to command.
edwin-sumner-large-57c4b7715f9b5855e5f34bdf.png

Subpar:
13. Daniel E. Sickles: While he brought aggression to an army in desperate need of it, he also showed a lack of a military understanding, and possessed immense arrogance. In no place does he better show this than his conduct at Gettysburg, in which he ignored orders and advanced beyond the rest of the Union line. He also demonstrated this trait at Chancellorsville when he pulled back from an amazing artillery position, and allowed Stuart and Lee to reunite their forces, although this was at the order of Hooker.
images

14. Samuel P. Heintzelman: A man who received his command due to his rank in the antebellum army, Heintzelman brought really nothing to the table. Combine this with an imcomptenent tactical mind like McClellan, and you have a recipe for an undistinguished military career. Shifting him to command the defenses of Washington was a respectful end to a long serving veteran who really had no place in commanding a corps.
616x510.jpg

15. Erasmus D. Keyes: Keyes fits into the same category as Heintzelman, a long-serving veteran of senior rank in the antebellum given a high command in acknowledgment of this. He similarly served in an undistinguished manner. The reason he ranks below Heintzelman is for the role in John A. Dix’s botched campaign to threaten Richmond during the Gettysburg Campaign.
220px-Keyes_-_Facial_shot.jpg
Incompetent:
16. Irvin McDowell: For the sake of the nation and his career, it probably would have been best if McDowell stayed as a staff officer. He seemed unable to comprehend combat on a large scale, leading to embarrassing results. Between being flummoxed by Jackson in the valley, and the role he played in the disaster at Second Bull Run, McDowell fits well into this category.
irvin-mcdowell-large-56a61b3e5f9b58b7d0dff158.jpg

17. Ambrose E. Burnside: Another corps commander who I debated in which category to place, I have decided to place him in incompetent. At the Battle of South Mountain, he managed to get stymied for some time by an inferior number of Confederates, although he would inflict heavy casualties on D.H. Hill’s division, which would come back to haunt him at the Sunken Road. At the Battle of Antietam, he lended his name to the notorious Burnside’s Bridge, another example of a useless profusion of life due to command incompetence. Blame for this could be at least partially shared with McClellan for delaying the order to advance for too long. If Burnside had left his service as an Army of the Potomac corps commander here, I would have put him in subpar. But with his return in 1864, he manages to ruin his reputation even more. While he did manage get himself lost in the Wilderness, and turned in only average service at Spotsylvania and Cold Harbor, the real nail in Burnside's coffin would be the Crater. Although blame for the failure can be shifted at least partially to Meade, and an even lesser degree to Grant, Burnside's hands off approach cost the Union a brilliant opportunity to shorten the war, which, combined with everything else, lands him in the incompetent category.
Ambrose%20Burnside.jpg

18. William B. Franklin: Franklin in the epitome of everything wrong with the Army of the Potomac. He seemed to be a gathering of some of the worst traits of other corps commanders. He had Hooker’s knack for scheming, Slocum’s tendency to complain, Porter’s unswerving loyalty to McClellan, and Burnside’s lack of imagination. If it were not for McClellan, he likely would have been swept out earlier. In no place was his lack of military skill put on greater display than Fredericksburg, where he performed the bare minimum that his orders required him to do, and after the defeat started scheming against his commander. He was the last of the officers truly dedicated to McClellan in the army, and with his dismissal brought an end to an era.
William%20Buel%20Franklin.jpg

19. Oliver O. Howard: As much as it hurts to have any officer ranked below Franklin, Howard earns this terrible distinction. If his time as a division commander was included, or his service in the West, then he would be much higher, but following the rules I set out, I believe it would be wrong to place him anywhere but here. His time as a corps commander was marked by three things. First was the hatred of the troops under him felt. Second was the humiliation of have his flank turn to shreds by Jackson’s assault, which likely could have been avoided or made much less worse if he had followed orders. Third was a repeat of Chancellorsville at Gettysburg, with his corps again taking flight, and him subsequently blaming the rout of Abner Doubleday, which cost a good officer his command.
Oliver%20O.%20Howard.jpg

Last edited:
Hold on, there's a guy literally named Gouverneur?

Sucks for Howard, but he ended up being a good peacetime general for his work with the Freedmen's Bureau.

Howard was good enough for Sherman to be given command of the Army of the Tennessee after McPherson was killed, and Logan went back to Illinois to try and win his Senate seat.

First, nice list! Second, REEEEEEEEE!!! Burn in Hell, you Eastern-Theater focusing bastard! /s. Now that my rage against academia's obsession over the Eastern Theater is out of my body, I'll offer a few comments:
  1. I generally agree with you on Hancock and Hooker being the top. However, I do feel obligated to say that neither were perfect. Although Hancock's injury did damage his overall abilities, Hancock still does seem to pay too little attention on reconnaissance (Spotsylvania Court House and Cold Harbor). I'm more critical of Hooker at Antietam than most for not dealing with Nicodemus Heights, but his service at Atlanta restored my confidence in him.
  2. I'm not sure how I feel about having Slocum so high up. On one hand, I do genuinely think Slocum is a good corps commander. On the other hand, I (partially) think that his performance was considerably bolstered by having Alpheus Williams and George S. Greene, especially at Gettysburg. IIRC Slocum was fairly ambivalent about entrenching on Culp's Hill (and one of his division commanders, John Geary, thought it was cowardly to do so!) and if it was not for Greene's initiative, Culp's Hill would have fallen because of Slocum's overreaction to Meade's orders to reinforce the left flank on the second day of Gettysburg.
  3. I'm fairly conflicted about Reynolds. One one hand, I cannot ignore all the praises from his contemporary officers. On the other hand, a more critical review leaves me pretty disappointed in Reynolds' overall performance. It appears that Reynolds had a bit of a micro-management problem (Charles Wainwright noted so in his diary). He really believed in inspiring volunteers with frontline leadership and it had mixed effects. At Fredericksburg, I'd argue that Reynolds was at fault for losing Meade's toehold. When Meade was begging for reinforcements, his messenger could not find Reynolds because Reynolds was with the I Corps Artillery Brigade, personally directing fire and giving advice to gunners. Chancellorsville does not give him much of an opportunity to erase my doubts of him from Fredericksburg and Gettysburg was brilliant but so short that it doesn't fully redeem him. I will give him props for actually calling Sickles to come to his aid instead of sitting still like Howard.
  4. I don't know much about Jesse Reno as a corps commander. I think his career is just too short to properly judge.
  5. Ok, Horatio G. Wright deserves to at least be in the 'capable' category. Sedgwick is just right in my opinion, but Wright was, in my opinion, one of the best corps commanders of the Eastern Theater. Yes, his initial performances were pretty uninspired and his performance as an independent commander is pretty mediocre at best. However, I'd argue that Wright is pretty tactically capable. He earned the respect of Phil Sheridan for his control over the infantry and successfully broke through Lee's line at Petersburg by crafting one of the most complicated formations in the whole war.
  6. Gouverneur K. Warren is a mixed bag for me. While he was probably the smartest guy in the room , I feel that his overall performance was mediocre. His ego also made him a bad soldier. If he didn't understand the why of an order, he questioned the order, dragged his feet, or complained about the order. It makes for an aggravating subordinate. I'd argue that Grant and Meade should have sacked him for Andrew Humphreys instead.
  7. George Sykes is a bit tough to rate. His performance at Gettysburg wasn't great (although considering the difficult circumstances caused by Sickles, I can't really blame him). What does raise my eyebrows was his decision to seemingly abandon Warren at Bristoe Station when the Rebels were ready to strike.
  8. I agree on Daniel Couch.
  9. Sumner deserves to be rated as subpar in my opinion. While he probably instilled the characteristics of tenacity, bravery, and aggressiveness into II corps, his best performances were mediocre at best and are disastrous at times. His handling of Union forces at Williamsburg was subpar; he was just lucky at Seven Pines that the bride he sent reinforcements across did not collapse until after everyone was across; the Seven Days' Battles redeem him somewhat but Antietam was just outright disastrous.
  10. I agree on Sickles, Heintzelman and Keyes (although I will note that Keyes' performance at Seven Pines wasn't great - he was planning regiment commander while his division commanders did their best to support each other).
  11. I think when you take into account his performance in 1864 as the commander of the IX Corps, Burnside falls into the incompetent category. While the failure of the Crater can be shared with Grant and Meade, Burnside undeniably failed on multiple occasions during the Overland Campaign. His corps got lost in the Wilderness while Hancock smashed A.P. Hill's III Corps; he could have dealt a decisive blow on Lee if he had not been so timid on May 10 (although the blame can be attributed to the loss of a capable division commander; his performance on May 12 was just bad and cost Grant and Meade an opportunity to inflict more severe losses on Lee.
  12. Agree on McDowell and Franklin. I will note that Franklin's performance as commander of the XIX corps doesn't really put him under a better light. He seemed to have been a bystander at most during the Battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill. It seems that his subordinate William H. Emory was more important at stopping Taylor's final assault at Mansfield and the Army of the Tennessee detachment commander A.J. Smith saved his bacon at Pleasant Hill.
  13. Hot take: Howard doesn't deserve to be in the incompetent category but rather the subpar category. While Chancellorsville was bad, I don't think Howard deserves all the blame. While he could have entrenched and protected his flank properly (and ignored the reports of his scouts), there wasn't much he could have done to stop Jackson when you consider how outnumbered he was. His performance at Gettysburg was justifiable. Again, there wasn't much he could really do there. He made the right call of leaving Steinwehr's Division on Cemetery Hill and committed one of the brigades to slow down Early's advance. That the XI Corps broke has more to do with Barlow's decision to advance to the knoll rather than remain on Almshouse. That said, I don't think he's a very good commander and his treatment of Doubleday was despicable (although I will say Meade's bias against Doubleday had a lot to do with Doubleday's relief).

I think when you take into account his performance in 1864 as the commander of the IX Corps, Burnside falls into the incompetent category. While the failure of the Crater can be shared with Grant and Meade, Burnside undeniably failed on multiple occasions during the Overland Campaign. His corps got lost in the Wilderness while Hancock smashed A.P. Hill's III Corps; he could have dealt a decisive blow on Lee if he had not been so timid on May 10 (although the blame can be attributed to the loss of a capable division commander; his performance on May 12 was just bad and cost Grant and Meade an opportunity to inflict more severe losses on Lee.
Oof, I completely forget about his service in the Overland Campaign and the Crater. Off to the incompetent category goes Burnside! On a side note, if you are interested I could start working on a list for Western Theater Union Infantry Corps Commanders.

Last edited:
I would put John Sedgwick in the subpar myself he was so cautious during the Chancellorsville campaign that he failed to advance when he would have faced minimal opposition in Fredericksburg when Early withdrew all but a brigade of infantry due to a poorly worded order and was noticed withdrawing. To put it simply Howard was the wrong man to command XI corps. He was a very religious non- german commanding a corps of just the opposite. Slocum on July 1st despite being within a short march refused to go to Gettysburg even when requested 2 times. I also think it's should be noted that he was never apparently considered for army command despite being the senior general in the army.

On a side note, if you are interested I could start working on a list for Western Theater Union Infantry Corps Commanders
Sounds good! I guess I can start off with my opinions of several corps commanders that I am familiar with:
Distinguished:
  1. Andrew Jackson Smith: At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd say A.J. Smith was one of the best corps commanders in the Western Theater. The skillful execution of his sweeping flank attack at Pleasant Hill and his careful and prudent campaign against Forrest and S.D. Lee that ended with the devastation of Forrest's Corps really seal the deal for me. The only failures I noticed was Forrest's Raid on Memphis and his mishandling of logistics during the Tulepo Campaign.
  2. John Logan: Logan's ability to rally troops was perhaps unparalleled in the ACW. Whenever the XV Corps seemed on the verge of defeat, Logan showed up with "a shriek of an eagle" and rallied the boys to counterattack. The best example is the battle of Atlanta/ Bald Hill, where he rallied the routed XV Corps to launch a successful counter-charge on Cheatham's disorganised corps.
  3. Joseph Hooker. While he is featured on your list of Eastern Theater commanders, I'd argue that Hooker's best performance as corps commander is shown in the Atlanta Campaign. Hooker was a first-rate leader of men, but unfortunately not a good soldier. While Hooker was right about Sherman having his favourites, Hooker undeniably engaged in a power struggle with Sherman, one that he had no chance of winning (save a major disaster). Nevertheless, one cannot deny that Hooker's lines never truly broke in the campaign.
Competent
  1. Greenville Dodge: Although Greenville Dodge had only been a brigade commander at Pea Ridge, he gained Grant's trust as a spymaster and was assigned command of the XVI Corps. Dodge performed well in my opinion. The failure of Snake Creek Gap falls on McPherson rather than Dodge; Dodge did excellent work on his feint at Kennesaw Mountain; and he arguably save the Army of the Tennessee at the Battle of Atlanta by personally directing the three available brigades under his command to repulse two Confederate divisions (Walker's and Bate's) without entrenchments. He was also unselfish with his troops, which is shown when he complied with requests for reinforcements at Atlanta and Ezra Church. The only problem is that his corps is so small that I'm not sure if he would handle a bigger corps well.
  2. Thomas L. Crittenden: this is perhaps going to be a hot take, but I think Crittenden at least deserves to be remembered as a competent commander. He responded well to Rosecrans' orders to move troops rapidly to aid McCook and served competently as the spearhead of the Tullahoma campaign. Chickamauga, his downfall, was not a bad showing. Although John T. Wilder’s and Robert H. G. Minty’s brigades hype themselves up as the savior of the Army of the Cumberland, Dave Powell points out that Crittenden did not act like a fool (as portrayed by Peter Cozzens ) because he and Thomas already knew what Bragg was doing. On September 19th, Crittenden was active and involved in the fighting. Although he was not always successful, Crittenden does ultimately hold Viniard Field (although one could make the argument that he might have done better to wait, co-ordinate a better organized advance, and then commit all these forces at once rather than by brigade). The collapse on September 20 was not his fault and his mistake was to keep going to Chattanooga than help rally the troops at Rossville.
Subpar
  1. John McClernand: John McClernand occupies a pretty weird spot. On one hand, he pretty much failed as a corps commander at the biggest battle of the Vicksburg Campaign. On the other hand, McClernand does pretty well tactically in most engagements. He failed at logistics during the Vicksburg Campagin (Grant berated him for not having his supplies up a number of times) and yet McClernand did a pretty good job of using his numerical supremacy over Bowen at Port Gibson and was the only corps commander to make a really strong effort to breach the Vicksburg fortifications and partially succeed. However, McClernand's casual arrogance and bombastic dispatches did not endear him to anyone and his overly optimistic messages about the toehold at the Railroad Redoubt cost Grant 1,000 more men in creating diversions for success.
  2. Frank Blair: I'm not sure if this is the right place for this guy. On one hand, he makes no major mistakes. On the other hand, he barely does anything. He was the commander of the XVII Corps, which I'd argue was the Army of the Tennessee's best troops. The XVII Corps committed no major blunders under his watch, but one wonders if that's because of his leadership or because of his troops. During the Battle of Atlanta, when his corps was attacked from three sides, it survived because of the quality of the troops and the competence of his division commanders. From what I understand, Blair was watching the battle from afar and gave orders using signals.
Incompetent:
  1. Alexander McCook is an average dude with zero luck. McCook's Corps got routed three times in all three major battles he served as a corps commander. While Perryville could be chalked up as bad luck, Stones' River lowers your confidence in him even more and Chickamauga sweeps away any confidence you have in him. While he can't really be blamed for Wood's repositioning, you could certainly say that he did not react well to the breach. For one, I don't think sending a single brigade to charge on the advancing rebel CORPS is a good idea.

Deleted member 9338

I am more inclined to move Sickles from Subpar to Competent.
At Chancellorsville he was ordered to pull back from the position he had on the knoll, which was the primary reason for him to move his troops at Gettysburg to the higher ground in front of him. His arrogance was not unusual in a man of his standing in the army and society then. His aggressiveness was also something needed in the Army of the Potomac.

Now that the Eastern Theater Union Infantry Corps Commanders have been ranked, it is time to look at the Western Theater. I will apply the same rules that I used in the Eastern Theater ranking to this one, of course with the necessary modifications. After much inner debate, I have decided to exclude Alpheus Williams, Jefferson C. Davis, Peter J. Osterhaus, and Joseph A. Mower, as while all of this officers served with great note, the lack of battles during the time as corps commanders make them hard to accurately judge. (Also @Arnold d.c I hope to have satisfied you desire for some focus on the Western Theater)

Distinguished:
1. George H. Thomas: Ok, you can accuse me of bias on this one, but I'd like to see anyone claim that Thomas' time as a corps commander was anything but distinguished. In both of his battles as a corps commander, he served in a way that he contributed to the survival of his army. First, at Stones River, he organized the defense that would repulse Bragg's ill-fated assault against the Union line. Secondly, and most prominently, his service at Chickamauga saved the Army of the Cumberland from a much worse beating than it already had gotten. His promotion to army command was well deserved, and I personally think it would have quite interesting to see what would have happened had Thomas been given command of the Military Division of the Mississippi
george-thomas-large-56a61b2b5f9b58b7d0dff0cb.jpg

2. John A. Logan: Logan epitomizes the fighting spirit of the Union soldier that characterized the Western Theater. Not only was Logan a soldier's soldier and a very personally brave man, he was tactically brilliant, especially for a political general, and on multiple occasions rallied his commands and brought them on to deeds on greatness. The Battles of Dallas and Atlanta come to mind for this aspect. While due to his political nature he was sometimes maligned by fellow officers both during and after the war, he definitely excelled the expectations and standards, and went on to being a brilliant corps commander. He definitely deserved army command following Atlanta, which was blocked by his lack of a West Point education.
320px-Logan_LOC_cwpb.07015.jpg

3. Andrew J. Smith: First off, Smith defeated Nathan B. Forrest in a pitched battle, and effectively ended the scourge that Forrest had been to the Union supply lines. This in of itself is nearly enough to be placed in the distinguished category. Combine this achievement with brilliant service in the Battle of Nashville, a battle characterized as perhaps one of the most brilliant battles of the war, and Smith thoroughly earned his place in the distinguished category.
Andrew%20J%20Smith.jpg

4. Gordon Granger: Similar to Thomas, in both of his battles Granger and his corps delivered distinguished service. At Chickamauga, he marched his Reserve Corps to the sound of the guns, proving critical in Thomas' stand. His other time as a corps commander, the Chattanooga Campaign, it was men of his corps that performed one of the most amazing feats of the war, the storming of the Confederate defenses on Missionary Ridge. Although the Chattanooga Campaign would be the last battle in which he served as a corps commander, his time as one was certainly distinguished.
5894120_118149407007.jpg

Capable:
5. Joseph Hooker: Hooker once again maintains his position at the head of the capable category. At the Chattanooga Campaign, he effectively managed to rehabilitate his reputation despite the hostility and mistrust he faced from Grant and Sherman. He followed up his newly resurrected career with almost unanimously great service in the Atlanta Campaign, with the one blotch on his reputation during the campaign being New Hope Church, which was not entirely his fault. His career would end ignominiously over a command dispute following McPherson's death and Howard's promotion.
Joseph-Hooker.jpg

6. David S. Stanley: Another officer with a known animosity towards Sherman, Stanley would manage to avoid ruining his career over this feud. Following Howard's promotion, he received command of the IV Corps, and during his short tenure as its commander he delivered accomplished service. During the opening stages before the Battle of Franklin, he was able to stand down some of the Army of Tennessee's best officers, including Forrest, Cleburne, and Bate. During Franklin, he again served well, and likely would have gone to to great service again at Nashville had he not gone down wounded.
David_Sloane_Stanley_head.jpg

7. James B. McPherson: Another general who delivered great service during a short tenure at corps command, McPherson's served well in the Vicksburg Campaign. A favorite of Grant, and also a student of the great general, McPherson's career undoubtedly benefited from the connections. His promotions were not based on favoritism alone, however, as did good service in the Vicksburg Campaign and the battles before it. While not as tactical skilled as other officers, he had no superior when it came to engineering involving battles and campaigning. This complimented Grant's tactical tenacity and Sherman's strategic mind very well, creating a great team.
James%20B.%20McPherson.jpg

8. William T. Sherman: I'll be the first to admit that ranking Sherman this low could potentially be controversial. If his entire career was considered, he would undoubtedly rank higher, but this is only considering time as a corps commander, and in this sector Sherman was not a distinguished as his overall service. While he delivered similarly good service as McPherson at Vicksburg and its leadup, he also managed to mar his reputation at the Battle of Chickasaw Bayou, a major repulse to an otherwise capable career. The bad effects of this is only made worse when it is known that John C. Pemberton was the opposing commander.
1402946298000-GeneralSherman-1.jpg

9. Grenville Dodge: Dodge's service in the Atlanta Campaign is undeserving underrated. He was a rare exception in the Union Army, a general who was not self-seeking or vainglorious. He was simply a solid general with the intent of serving as best as he could. In this he excelled. Throughout the Atlanta Campaign, he would deliver good service. Despite being overshadowed by Logan, he too would play a critical role in salving what could have been a Union disaster into a victory during the Battle of Atlanta, where he took initiative and led one of his division into battle without the consent of its commander, resulting in the one-armed general Thomas Sweeny whaling on him. His useful service to the Union cause as a field commander was brought to an unfortunate end by a Confederate sniper, although he would survive the wound and go on to achieve great things in post-war America.
Grenville-M.-Dodge.jpg

Competent:
10. Frank Blair Jr: Another political general and another officer favored by Grant, when Blair first entered the war, he, like most political generals, was saddled with the mistrust of his West Point comrades. Despite this, he came to earn the trust of both Grant and Sherman, with Grant referring to him in his memoirs as follows "I knew him as a frank, positive and generous man, true to his friends even to a fault, but always a leader....There was no man braver than he, nor was there any who obeyed all orders of his superior in rank with more unquestioning alacrity. He was one man as a soldier, another as a politician." While Blair never delivered service in battle to bring him to unique attention, he was always a solid and dependable officer who could battle counted on in most situations, especially when with a similarly competent commander overhead.
General_Francis_Preston_Blair.jpg

11. Oliver O. Howard: Similar to Hooker, the Western Theater offered Howard a second chance. Given command of a corps for the Atlanta Campaign, Howard was able to find more success, and was better able to avoid having his flank caved by facing a less aggressive commander in Joe Johnston. While generally serving with competency, a major black mark was left on Howard's record with the Battle of Pickett's Mill, which perhaps could more aptly be referred to as the slaughter at Pickett's Mill. At the end of the campaign, Howard's promotion to army command more likely boiled down to wanting to get Hooker out and not wanting a political general to receive command, rather than his skills showed during his service.
General_Oliver_O._Howard_(4190920238).jpg

12. Thomas L. Crittenden: A man's whose entire reputation got soiled by one battle, Chickamauga, Crittenden proved to lack the skill that Howard possessed of being able to shake off accusations of incompetence. Despite his less than stellar performance in that battle, it should be noted that the majority of the men who fled the field that day were of McCook's corps, and several of his brigades played a critical role in Thomas' defense. Moving on past Chickamauga, it should be noted that it was men under Crittenden's command that repulsed Breckinrdige's doomed assault during Stones River, and him and his corps served well in the Tullahoma Campaign. It is also interesting to note that some of the finest lower ranking officers of the Army of the Cumberland, including Charles Harker, William B. Hazen, Charles Cruft, William Grose, Emerson Opdycke, and John Mendenhall, all served under his command. So while Crittenden's career as a corps commander was far from distinguished, it is not the complete wreck that it is sometimes depicted to be.
thomas_leonidas_crittenden_-_brady-handy_original.jpg
Subpar:
13. John M. Schofield: Another potentially controversial ranking, I have decided to place Schofield in the subpar category. His career's meteoric rise depended on being offensive to nobody by never really taking a stand on anything, with John Pope succinctly summing it up by saying that no one could stand on the bulge of a barrel better than him (That is a paraphrase because I can't find the original quote). Following his rise to corps command and being brought to the scene of action in the Atlanta Campaign, Schofield promptly made himself as just an undistinguished officer known for being disagreeable. His time in that campaign is marked to an interesting lack of any achievements of note. Following being sent to Tennessee to oppose Hood's invasion, his success at the Battle of Franklin and the lead up to it depended more on luck, such as Hood not pressing his advantage when he nearly had Schofield blocked, and the competency of subordinates such as Stanley, Cox, Wilson, and Opdycke more than personal skill. To follow this up, he engaged in a campaign to attempt to have Thomas removed from command in the lead-up to Nashville, actively working against his superior officer. His efforts would ultimately be in vain, however, and he was left with a reputation as an average officer and a distinguished conniver.
Gen._John_M._Schofield_-_NARA_-_528310.jpg

14. John McClernand: Another conniving officer, McClernand occasionally showed glimmers of competency, especially during battle, but also managed to supersede it with his conspiring afterwards, which brought most of Schofield's actions to a new level. A political general forced upon Grant by President Lincoln to secure support among War Democrats, McClernand made it his mission to have an important command sectioned off for himself, whether it be independent command or taking over Grant's role as commander of the Army of the Tennessee. In battle, he would show the ferocity and aggression that Grant looked for in an officer, but the relation between the two soured due to McClernand's scheming. Eventually, after McClernand broke a minor army protocol, Grant took the opportunity to relieve him of command, showing how desperate Grant had become to remove the general he considered one of his greatest nuisances. It perhaps would have been better for McClernand's career if he had served in the Eastern Theater, where aggressive generals were at a premium, and scheming against one's superior officer was less frowned upon.
mcclernand_ishl_med.jpg

15. John Palmer: Another average general who did something really dumb to ruin his reputation, John M. Palmer received corps commander during the Chattanooga Campaign, although he failed to serve with the conduct that Granger's corps showed. Going on to serve in the Atlanta Campaign, he would serve without distinction. The reason he is placed in the subpar category is as of a result of his conduct during the Battle of Utoy Creek. Assigned to be under the command of John M. Schofield, when Palmer received an order he disliked and he claimed he did not need to follow it citing that he outranked Schofield. When Sherman instead said that Schofield did outrank him, and did have the authority to give him orders, Palmer resigned his command in protest. This is the only time in American history when a general resigned his command in the midst of a battle. Strangely, his conduct during the Atlanta Campaign did not hinder his later political career, although it very much does hinder his military reputation.
JohnMPalmer.png

Incompetent
16. Alexander McCook: In my opinion, of the corps commander mentioned on this list, only one deserves to be ranked as incompetent, and that dishonor goes to Alexander McCook. In all the battles he engaged in as a corps commanders, his command gave a disastrous performance. First, in the Battle of Perryville, his flank got crushed. He managed to repeat this performance at Stones River, which could have cost the Union the battle had it not been for the obstinate stands of Sheridan and Hazen. At Chickamauga, he and large portions of his command would again be thrown back in confusion. This time, however, it would cost McCook his command. While reportedly brave officer, McCook was hopelessly incompetent, and proved this a pretty much every Western Theater battlefield he fought on.
Gen._Alexander_McDowell_McCook_-_NARA_-_530565.jpg

Last edited:
To be honest I need to point out Sherman was also stopped by a single Confederate division during the Chattanooga Campaign.

Even then he liked the instinct to finish the job, for example had he put Thomas in charge of a maneuver at the start of the Atlanta campaign it might have been a major victory in the first week of the campaign instead McPherson who was new to army command fumbled and the change was gone. The march to the sea nearly turned into a major mistake. It was only Thomas who both Grant and Sherman disliked that keep Hood from Tennessee. And finally when he had Johnson all but trapped after the battle of Bentonville he again let him go.

Even then he liked the instinct to finish the job, for example had he put Thomas in charge of a maneuver at the start of the Atlanta campaign it might have been a major victory in the first week of the campaign instead McPherson who was new to army command fumbled and the change was gone. The march to the sea nearly turned into a major mistake. It was only Thomas who both Grant and Sherman disliked that keep Hood from Tennessee. And finally when he had Johnson all but trapped after the battle of Bentonville he again let him go.
Yes, Sherman lacked the killer instinct, unlike, say Grant or Sheridan. When one of the two later would go in for the jugular, Sherman tended to hesitate, and that cost him on many an occasion.

(Also @Arnold d.c I hope to have satisfied you desire for some focus on the Western Theater)
Indeed, this is a great list. :)
1. George H. Thomas
*Looks at username* Hmmm... Nope, I see no bias here whatsoever!:winkytongue: Jokes aside, I do think Thomas, Logan and A.J. Smith are worthy of being on the top three. However...
4. Gordon Granger:
I'm not too sure on Granger though. While I think he's competent, I recall hearing how Granger's habit of playing with cannon was detrimental to his ability to command. Dave Powell, the leading expert on Chickamauaga, wrote how Granger's initiative did much to help Thomas' stand. However, he also notes that Granger's actions are somewhat cloaked in mystery after he joined Thomas. While his troops moved to the far right, he was with Thomas, helping the 18th Ohio battery set up and fire. When Thomas left at 4:30 PM. (leaving Granger in charge), the last known order given by Granger was "fix bayonets and go for them!" at 5:00 P.M. when asked what to do when the ammunition was running low. Thomas shed a bit of light on this mystery, noting that Granger accompanied him to Rossville Gap when Granger should have been overseeing the retreat instead of Brannan. It doesn't help that during the battle for Missionary Ridge, when Grant realized Thomas wasn't attacking, he found Granger helping another battery instead of commanding his own corps.
6. David S. Stanley
David S. Stanley is someone I have mixed feelings for. On one hand, he did well as an infantry corps commander. On the other hand, his performance as cavalry corps commander was kinda shoddy at best. Stanley did a good job of reorganising Rosecrans' scattered cavalry regiments into one corps. However, Stanley seemed pretty insubordinate during the Chickamauga campaign. When Rosecrans gave the order for a raid on Rome and Dalton, Stanley gave excuse after excuse as to why he could not launch the raid. In truth, Stanley just didn't want to carry out the mission. He envisioned his corps serving as a pursuit force, pouncing on Bragg's retreating columns. Stanley didn't get a moment to redeem himself as he was incapacitated by dysentery.

7. James B. McPherson: 8. William T. Sherman
I agree with your assessment here, but I think that both deserve to be ranked a bit lower. In my opinion, both McPherson and Sherman were a bit too clumsy at handling tactical command. McPherson wasted Crocker's Division in guarding a flank at Raymond, did absolutely nothing at Champion Hill (Grant was pretty much calling all the shots there), did very poorly on May 22 (Logan's men had ladders that were too short! McPherson, I thought you were an engineer! Moreover, McPherson didn't push Quinby's Division forward, when its division commander aborted the advance 15 minutes in while Logan was getting butchered). McPherson does redeem himself in the siege somewhat for his skilled approach during the siege. Sherman has little redemption in tactics as well. He was very skilled at moving his men at a rapid pace, but I notice that he focuses on piecemeal division-level attacks too much.
John M. Schofield:
That's a pretty hot take... but now that I think about it, I really can't say any highlights of his career. He got a bloody nose at Resaca, argued with his division commanders after Resaca, dodged a bullet at Cassville, missed out on the battles of Dallas, Pickett Mill and New Hope Church, lucked on having the easiest mission during the frontal assault on Kennesaw Mountain, missed out on Peach Tree Creek and Bald Hill, got butchered at Utoy Creek (not 100% his fault) and got real lucky at Spring Hill. Yeah, my opinion is about the same as yours now.

Turning back to what originally placed the idea for this thread in my head, how do you people think the Union corps commanders compared to the Napoleonic Marshals? How does the generally high quality of the marshals, and the lack of any definitively bad ones from what I've seen compare the Union generals? How about head-to-head comparisons, such as Grant v. Napoleon, Thomas v. Davout, Sheridan v. Ney, or Hancock v. Lannes?

Last edited:
Embarrassing as it is, I don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of all the French Marshals to make an apples to apples comparison, but as for subpar ones, Jacques MacDonald wasn't anything special from what I've read, and received his baton at Wagram for losing half of his assault force just to pin the Austrians in place, not to mention losing 15 cannons before they could even get a shot off in return and urging the outlying cavalry into a headlong charge that was equally useless. He also got routed by Suvorov in Italy in 1799 despite a 3-2 numerical advantage, failed to take Riga in 1812, was mauled at Katzbach, got stymied repeatedly at Leipzig...I understand opinion on him is a bit divisive, but I don't see much impressiveness in there, especially compared to peers of the caliber he had.

Turning back to what originally placed the idea for this thread in my head, how do you people think the Union corps commanders compared to the Napoleonic Marshals? Was the generally high quality of the marshals, and the lack of any definitively bad ones from what I've seen compare the Union generals?
It’s important to remember that the men who became Napoleon’s Marshals were the product of decades of war. At the start of the French Revolution, the French army was full of eager but “stupid” volunteers. When Napoleon took over, he was able to remove most of the incompetents or elderly generals from duty. The men chosen to be marshals had distinguished themselves during the French Revolution or during the later wars of the coalition. In contrast, the candidates for Union corps commanders boil down to whoever has the right connections (at least at the start). It does not surprise me that so many commanders failed to distinguish themselves relative to the French Marshals. It took a long time to replace the deadwood with some proper commanders.

How about head-to-head comparisons, such as Grant v. Napoleon, Thomas v. Davout, Sheridan v. Ney, or Hancock v. Lannes?
I feel that comparing Grant and Napoleon wouldn’t really be appropriate. Napoleon, unlike Grant, had full mastery of his country’s resources and overall strategy. When Grant became commander of all armies, he was still bound by politics in devising strategies. One such example I can think of is Grant’s original 1864 campaign. Instead of embarking on the bloody Overland campaign, Grant had intended to cripple Lee’s logistics by invading North Carolina and isolating Virginia. Lee, Grant supposed, would have to give up Northern Virginia without a single shot fired. Halleck warned Grant that Lincoln would not approve because the government was committed to the overland route, for the reason of maintaining an overwhelming army between Lee and DC, and wanted to avoid any appearance of suggesting McClellan's strategy in 1862 may have been correct in an election year.

Nevertheless, I feel that Napoleon has the edge here. Both of them are a match strategically and operationally, but on the battlefield, Napoleon was more tactically capable than Grant. Grant had a few good moments (Champion’s Hill
Breakthrough at Petersburg, Battle of Sayler’s Creek) but Napoleon’s tactical success (Austerlitz, Friedland, etc.) is just too great.

Davout vs Thomas is a more interesting case. Both never failed to perform superbly. However, I do favor Thomas more because Davout never really held independent command. I think he had potential but this was never proven. Thomas, on the other hand, is a capable army commander.

Sheridan vs Ney, a true battle of egotists. I’m quite conflicted on this one because I like neither of them. Ney is not particularly the sharpest knife in the drawer even on his best days, but he undeniably executed excellent rear-guard actions at Spain and Russia. Sheridan, on the other hand, was a failure as the commander of the Army of the Potomac’s Cavalry Corps. He got whipped by rebel cavalrymen most of the time and Eric Wittenberg, the leading expert on ACW cavalry, says that Sheridan’s failure at Trevillian Station prolonged the war for months. However, Sheridan was an undeniable master of cavalry-infantry “all-arms” warfare. His pursuit of Lee was absolutely masterful during the Appomattox Campaign; his skillfully planned attacks at Sailor Creek crushed a large portion of Lee’s army.

I’d say Lannes was a better general than Hancock. He bore the brunt of Marengo and set up the stage for Napoleon’s decisive victory at Friedland. Hancock’s best performance was Gettysburg by far, but his injury on July 3, 1863 really downgraded his performance from thereon. Although I would still argue that Hancock was the best Union corps commander in the Overland Campaign, he made mistakes (some of which can be attributed to his injury). For example, After the powerful blow he struck at the Mule Shoe, Hancock allowed his forces to become disorganized and effectively incapable of exploiting the gains they had made. The Hancock of Gettysburg would have rode around the men to reorganize them for a continued attack. Hancock also did not seem to appreciate reconnaissance much either. In the Mule Shoe assault and the June 3rd attack at Cold Harbor, Hancock did not really bother with reconnaissance (despite having explicit orders to do so in the latter).

George H. Thomas: Ok, you can accuse me of bias on this one, but I'd like to see anyone claim that Thomas' time as a corps commander was anything but distinguished. In both of his battles as a corps commander, he served in a way that he contributed to the survival of his army. First, at Stones River, he organized the defense that would repulse Bragg's ill-fated assault against the Union line. Secondly, and most prominently, his service at Chickamauga saved the Army of the Cumberland from a much worse beating than it already had gotten. His promotion to army command was well deserved, and I personally think it would have quite interesting to see what would have happened had Thomas been given command of the Military Division of the Mississippi
In my opinion Thomas is in a class of his own. Arguably it takes us outside his time as a corps commander, but one has to mention Chattanooga as well. I read once (unfortunately I forget where) that he effectively went behind Grant's back to deliver the win at Missionary Ridge. Grant said "damn the battle, I had nothing to do with it", which makes one wonder who did have something to do with it… Even not accepting that thesis, Missionary Ridge was stormed by men Thomas had trained as a corps commander, XIV Corps, so I think it's relevant to the question anyway.
Also I think you might mention the flanking movements his corps undertook in the Tullahoma campaign. The Tullahoma campaign gets credited to Rosecrans but I suspect Thomas had a lot to do with the conception - strong flanking movements were his forte.