Rank Insignia and Uniforms Thread

Hapsburg

Banned
Combat uniforms of the Central Galactic Union Army; virtually identical to the system of combat clothing utilized by the Terran Imperial Army preceding it.
Using a simple but effective layering system, the Army combat uniforms are capable of adapting to most environments. The base is the M1 Combat Suit, a single-piece jumpsuit with breast and hip slash pockets, and cargo pockets in the legs. It effectively replicates a set of tunic and trousers, but in a single unit. The M1 suit is typically manufactured with a zip closure, though buttoned variants with a fly front are available. The collar can lay both in an upright "Mandarin" style and in a fall-down style.
The most common clothing item addition to the M1 is the M63 Combat Tunic, a rain- and wind-resistant jacket with large breast and hip pockets. The next most common item is the simple M3 Combat Vest. For cold or particularly inhospitable weather, the M44 Winter Coat and M49 Leather Coat are made available.

The Combat Suit is also designed to be readily mated to a variety of full-body armoured suits. The standard model is the semi-powered FOX armour, which comes in light, medium, and heavy variants; it comprises a torso piece, arm- and leg-protectors, and a combat helm with an integrated suite of sensors and communications systems. The medium and heavy types have powered motors for the legs and arms to increase load capacity and individual performance, though it is only a shade compared to the advanced full-body powered armour suits used by shock-troop divisions.

Combat Uniforms.png

Combat uniforms of the Central Galactic Union Army; virtually identical to the system of combat clothing utilized by the Terran Imperial Army preceding it.
Using a simple but effective layering system, the Army combat uniforms are capable of adapting to most environments. The base is the M1 Combat Suit, a single-piece jumpsuit with breast and hip slash pockets, and cargo pockets in the legs. It effectively replicates a set of tunic and trousers, but in a single unit. The M1 suit is typically manufactured with a zip closure, though buttoned variants with a fly front are available. The collar can lay both in an upright "Mandarin" style and in a fall-down style.
The most common clothing item addition to the M1 is the M63 Combat Tunic, a rain- and wind-resistant jacket with large breast and hip pockets. The next most common item is the simple M3 Combat Vest. For cold or particularly inhospitable weather, the M44 Winter Coat and M49 Leather Coat are made available.

The Combat Suit is also designed to be readily mated to a variety of full-body armoured suits. The standard model is the semi-powered FOX armour, which comes in light, medium, and heavy variants; it comprises a torso piece, arm- and leg-protectors, and a combat helm with an integrated suite of sensors and communications systems. The medium and heavy types have powered motors for the legs and arms to increase load capacity and individual performance, though it is only a shade compared to the advanced full-body powered armour suits used by shock-troop divisions.

not meant as an insult as i think the layering idea and light armour design looks good but i think the trenchcoat and jacket are too contemporary to
give that "galactic army" feel.

maybe draw inspiration from modern civilian dress and instead of having the top button open to make small lapels, have them wider and going over the shoulder to form a hood for example

Fusiliers from my "March..." TL.

I believe the originals were made by Hapsburg (great stuff!).

From left to right, the soldiers are from:

Kingdom of Italy
Kingdom of Westphalia
Kingdom of Naples

These armies are modeled after the Grande Armée and as such the fusilier constitutes the majority of the line infantry regiments.

Fusiliers.png

Hapsburg

Banned
i think the trenchcoat and jacket are too contemporary to give that "galactic army" feel.
Narratively, the "feel" is meant to have a contemporary aesthetic. Or rather, a mid-century aesthetic. The actual MSF stories I've written are supposed to be evocative of the Vietnam War, and the visual appearance of the uniforms drives that home. The jacket is very much meant to look like the khaki uniforms of the US Army during World War II, or the OD fatigues of the 1960s. The trenchcoat is meant in the same way to draw up associations with World War I in all its senselessness and coldness.
Also, trenchcoats are just classic.

Last edited:
Some Confederate Army uniforms from around 1910, in a Confederacy-survives TL I have on the backburner.

We have here two Captains of Artillery - on your left from the Confederate Army, and on the right from the Confederate Marine Corps. Crimson is the branch colour for the artillery.

Confederate Infantrymen.png

Narratively, the "feel" is meant to have a contemporary aesthetic. Or rather, a mid-century aesthetic. The actual MSF stories I've written are supposed to be evocative of the Vietnam War, and the visual appearance of the uniforms drives that home. The jacket is very much meant to look like the khaki uniforms of the US Army during World War II, or the OD fatigues of the 1960s.
The trenchcoat is meant in the same way to draw up associations with World War I in all its senselessness and coldness.
Also, trenchcoats are just classic.

fair enough then though one possibility that springs to mind then would be to draw some ever-so-slight inspiration from 70s era sci-fi like the sandmen from Logan's Run.

Some Confederate Army uniforms from around 1910, in a Confederacy-survives TL I have on the backburner.

We have here two Captains of Artillery - on your left from the Confederate Army, and on the right from the Confederate Marine Corps. Crimson is the branch colour for the artillery.

Nice unis. I like them very much.

I'd like some opinions on this. What uniform combination for my French fusiliers do you guys think best?

I'm leaning towards the first one from left to right, which would be a change from the red trouser one which is currently canon in my TL.

Red trousers, though worn by the French in OTL, seem like too flashy. I'm open to any color combination though.

The one with the white chest (don't know the real name for that part) seems to shout "Napoleon", and I like it, but I'm thinking all blue coat would be more appropiate for 1855.

Maybe I can leave the former for colonial troops or reserves or something.

FrenchFusilierConcepts.png

Hapsburg

Banned
And as for the CGU Army's non-combat garb, this table suffices. Displaying, horizontally:
No. 1, Service Dress, the standard walking-out uniform with lapel collar and straight-leg trousers. The Service Dress is worn when a soldier is on-duty but off-base, or in semi-formal occasions on-base.
No. 2, Field Duty Uniform, composed of a fall-collar tunic and cargo trousers. Also called "Field Dress", No. 2's are worn when the soldier is on-base and ready for operations at any moment.
No. 3, Combat Suit, composed of a single-piece jumpsuit with several cargo pockets. These are covered in the above post.
No. 4, Parade Dress, the formal uniform. Used for military parades and other formal occasions not meriting use of the special Mess Dress.
No. 5, Tropical Duty Uniform, an equivalent to Field Dress for hot-weather, typically tropical or desert, environments.

The first row is for Enlisted, including NCOs. However, NCOs have an addition strip of white sewn onto the trim of the collar in the No. 2 uniform.
The second row is for Officers. Army officers tend to have uniforms of better quality and trim, as well as finer materials. Sometimes they are lighter than the standard uniform, sometimes darker.
The third row is for Generals, including Field Marshals. The same remarks as to officer's uniforms and their quality of make applies doubly so for the professional leadership of the ground forces.

Made using base figures by Tounushi, Tounushifan, and TheFalconette from deviantArt. Based mainly on the uniforms of the United States, Nazi Germany, and Fascist Italy.

CGU Army Uniforms.png

And as for the CGU Army's non-combat garb, this table suffices.

The overall effect makes me think East Germany, somehow.

Updated edition of the Confederate uniforms:

From left to right, we have a Sergeant in the artillery of the Army, a Quartermaster Sergeant in the infantry of the Marines, a Lieutenant-Colonel on the staff of the Army, and a Captain in the Engineers of the Marines.

The collar insignia are meant to be cannon for the artilleryman, crossed muskets for the infantryman, and point-down stars for the lieutenant-colonel. Not sure how well they came out.

Confederate Infantrymen.png

Have you tried the third one with a red belt/bandolier and white pants? The concern I'd have about the blue is that IIRC the Prussian army of that era wore blue. Why the black gloves?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't convince me. Also, would it really be a problem? IIRC, both armies wore blue (albeit the French had red trousers) during the Franco-Prussian War. I don't know though. Maybe I can give the French blue coats, white trousers and have the Prussians wear their darker blue with matching trousers...

EDIT: The black gloves are for no particular reason, just experimenting.

FrenchUni.png

Last edited:

Hapsburg

Banned
Uniforms of the Central Galactic Marine Corps, a subset of the overarching Central Galactic Navy that unifies sea and space combat elements. Galactic Marines operate on land, sea, air, and space. They are the première shock force and expeditionary troops of the Central Galactic Union. Marines are trained to deploy from landing craft, orbital craft, space stations, and ground bases to engage enemy forces, and integrate aviation components directly into their operations. Inspired primarily by the ancient US Marine Corps as well as the British Royal Marines and Russian Naval Infantry, the strategic importance of the Imperial Marines and later the Galactic Marines is due to their constant state of readiness and thorough combined-arms organization.

Unlike the Army or the Navy itself, the Marines do not display hierarchical stratification through their clothing; uniforms are identical for all echelons, from enlisted to NCOs to officers to generals. The Marines are also known for being much more egalitarian in its ethos, unlike the "aristocratic" institutions of the Army and Navy.
The uniforms are as follows:
Service Uniform, Class A and B; consists of a khaki shirt with brown tunic and trousers, with leather Sam Browne belt. This is the standard uniform for "on-shore" or on-base duties, as well as walking-out dress. The only difference between the depicted form and the form used on combat bases is that the straight-legged trousers are replaced with cargo trousers and the headwear is a simple 8-point cap. Class B removes the uniform coat for "office" type wear.
Utility Uniform, for any and all combat and utility purposes. While similar to the Army combat uniform, in that it is a single-piece jumpsuit with pockets, it is different in aspects of its design. But like the Army uniform, it is designed as a "base" for all utilities, including flight suits and mechanical working wear.
Hot Weather Service, or "Class C" service uniform, which uses a khaki short-sleeve shirt with no tie in place of the dress shirt and tie. But is otherwise identical to the Class B. The version depicted here is the field-use, with cargo trousers and a utility cover.
Dress Uniform, or "Dress Blacks", based largely off the Navy dress uniforms. The Dress Blacks use a black tunic with white trousers, all trimmed in red and with gold buttons. General officers distinguish themselves with Dress Whites, with white military tunic, but are otherwise identical to Dress Blacks in cut and style.

CGU Marine Uniforms.png

Uniforms of the Central Galactic Marine Corps

There's something funky going on with the shirt creases in #2. Are the caps on #3 and #4 yours? I don't recall seeing them before. Very nice, if so. There's a real Cold War USA feel to this batch.

Hapsburg

Banned
There's something funky going on with the shirt creases in #2.
They look symmetrical to me.

Are the caps on #3 and #4 yours? I don't recall seeing them before.
The visor part isn't, but the cover is. I had them on an earlier version of this, but I'm going through and cleaning up and updating things.

Very nice, if so. There's a real Cold War USA feel to this batch.
Thank you.
And yes, I'm aiming more towards that than "Nazis in spaaaace". The allegory for the story has become gradually more Vietnam War and Iraq War than WWII.

They look symmetrical to me.

Just in terms of going all the way from the bottom of the shirt to the shoulders - I haven't seen that before, and it looks kinda odd, especially around the pockets. Is it based on a real world style?

It's good to see these moving away from Space Nazis in style. It feels like every second fanmade uniform is either Nazis or Nazis with the badge filed off. Also, Cold War USA in Space reminds me of Starship Troopers, The Forever War and that era of scifi.

Mexican uniforms from the same timeline as the Confederate ones. Mexico's initial style is the top row: #1 is other ranks in the Mexican Army, #2 is officers of same, #3 is other ranks of light infantry, #4 is officers of same, #5 is Red Hussars, and #6 is general officer ranks. Following a major war, there is a reform and restructuring of the Mexican army, which results in the lower row: #1 is other ranks, #2 is officers, #3 is cavalry, and #4 is general officers.

Uniforms.png