Rank Insignia and Uniforms Thread

Hapsburg

Banned
And the world is not made of random stripes of green, brown, and black.
Nonetheless. I still don't like the look of digital camo; I think it looks ugly.

I don't understand why you are getting so bent out of shape because, OMG, someone else doesn't like pixel camouflage.

Last edited:
Nonetheless. I still don't like the look of digital camo; I think it looks ugly.

I don't understand why you are getting so bent out of shape because, OMG, someone else doesn't like pixel camouflage.

I'm just pointing out that the world isn't just random stripes of green, brown, and black. And IMHO, the woodland and desert MARPAT look a lot better than their BDU counterparts. But the BDU looks helluva a lot better than the ACU.

I would have used real-world camo patterns, like M81 woodland or Chocolate Chip desert, and just overlay the drawings over it to give the clothing itself the pattern.
But I had to scale the pictures I found down to like 25% for the blotches to be realistically sized, and it ended up looking really jarring. So I had to draw camo blotches myself. Perhaps I should have gone with a flecktarn type pattern?

Another thing you can do is a chameleon pattern. It's one of those "future war" patterns that the DoD would cream their pants for. I would have your combat uniforms be a standard black or something along those lines and then the uniform and equipment change appearance with the environment they are in.

Hapsburg

Banned
Another thing you can do is a chameleon pattern. It's one of those "future war" patterns that the DoD would cream their pants for. I would have your combat uniforms be a standard black or something along those lines and then the uniform and equipment change appearance with the environment they are in.
Ehh...I don't really like the idea of "active camo"; not for the average soldier, at least. I just don't; it's just too...Predator or Metal Gear Solid.

But special forces like the Knights or infiltration operatives, etc? Sure.

Last edited:
Uniforms for a nation I made up during a game of Risk

The Uniforms of the Second Kingdom of Rufaria (1993-Present) and People's Rufarian Republic (1927-1993)

(Yes, I know that the "Committe On Public Safety" has a similar name to a period of government during the French Revolution and makes the acronymn C.O.P.S.)

Rufaria.PNG

Hapsburg

Banned
(That's not meant to be a criticism of the design or the drawing. Heaven knows I couldn't do it myself.)
TBH, I can't freehand things like that, either. I usually colour over a scanned sketch on MS Paint, or colour over a real photo/picture on MS Paint; that picture is example of the latter.

The Uniforms of the Second Kingdom of Rufaria (1993-Present) and People's Rufarian Republic (1927-1993)
Ooh. I like those.
Especially the COPS uniforms. So simple, yet so insidious. :D

For dress/service uniforms *sigh* I would use this:

060515-F-0055L-024.JPG

Four pockets, high collar, dark colors. But leave it at that for the Nazi vibe. Stay away from ties, I don't see ties four thousand years from now.
Doesn't look all that Nazi-ish to me (in fact, I like those uniforms better than the competing design, which was selected by the USAF). I certainly agree about the ties, though. OTOH, the Emperor who chose them could be an avid archaeologist, and not many will argue fashion with a man who could have them shot on a whim.

I think I might use that pic for a Future History I've been thinking of.

Hapsburg

Banned
OTOH, the Emperor who chose them could be an avid archaeologist, and not many will argue fashion with a man who could have them shot on a whim.
Well, it's not so much something that's been chosen by one guy, but a constant thing that's been going on for centuries. The uniforms change very little in the span between the Terran Federation (2300's), the Terran Dominion (2500) the Terran Empire (3000) and the CGU (6275); because largely there's no reason to change the look of the service and dress uniforms. All that really changes are materials and colours (Federal and Dominion uniforms are usually green, but Imperial uniforms are often a royal blue, while CGU uniforms go with a grayish green), and of course the omnipresent waffling between high and shirt-style collars.

Of course, none of this really reflects on civilian fashion. At all. Which can and is all kinds of crazy.

Hapsburg

Banned
Something new and more Italian-based (next series will be duty or utility uniforms, which will look less...flashy. More practical; less obviously "Space Fascist".)

An officer of the Republic Security Head Administration, the internal security branch of the Stormguard. The CGU government, and Lord Maximilian, would used officers like this man to enforce the ideology of National Humanism and centralised state loyalty across the Milky Way following the foundation of the CGU. In the years following its creation, the SG in general, but most especially the RSHA, would be granted broad powers to arrest, inquisition, and execute citizens of the Republic suspected of treason.

CGU Official.png

Hapsburg

Banned
(OOC: Based partly off the open-neck German Tropical uniforms, and also on modern BDU's. The next thing I'll post will be of a Stormguard Police Gendarme, the CGU's version of SWAT troopers. It'll look pretty much nothing like a WW2 uniform.)

In the latter stages of the Zaaroft War, the CGU Army issued significantly different combat uniforms; the M10 late-war field tunic was an open-necked, four-pocket uniform with revised muted colours for buttons, insignia, and piping to reduce visibility. Though the standard clothing colour remained green-grey, the uniforms could, like the preceding M92 series, be dyed and issued in various camouflage patterns. In most models of the M10 tunic, the national eagle was removed, and the button holes were covered by another strip of cloth, to completely hide any glinting metal.
The pictured individual is a General, wearing the late-war field uniform over a PCS-04 Powered Combat Suit, though he eschews the standard armour plating. It was very rare to see a general officer engaged in field duties, though some followed the model of General, later Field Marshal, Alexander Strobol, who became famed throughout the army for his bold command style of leading by example. He also wears the field cap with an integral communications suite and tactical scanner (over other eye).

CGUA General in duty uniform.png

Last edited:

Hapsburg

Banned
Among the Stormguard, the Order Police was one of the largest sub-units. Tasked with various domestic police duties, the Orpo wore the traditional grass-green uniforms of the Terran Imperial Police. However, as the CGU government extended its power, it reformed the uniforms of the police to something more simplified and practical. The most rugged and utilitarian of these were the uniforms of the Gendarmerie, who were called in for riot control, hostage situations, counter-terrorism, and other circumstances necessitating special weapons and tactics. They were signified by their high yellow collars, yellow cuffs, and special right shoulder patches.

I hope it is sufficiently different.

State Police.PNG

Last edited:

Friedebarth

Banned
Last time I checked, the HRE didn't have a single military. And I think we disscused the plausibility of somebody named Vandox (sounds like a prescription medicine) could be elected Emperor.

Here's a future Starfleet uniform.

Being a Trekkie, I can just say: Spot on! Those are way better than the new movie. Okay, that sucked anyway, but never mind. To not make this post completely off-topic, have a look at http://madeinjapan1988.deviantart.com/. His Star Trek uniforms rule, and, personally, I think you're almost up to his level.

Friedebarth

Banned
The royal guard uniform for my micronation. You may probably wonder about 2 things:

1. Why is there a flag on the pointy part of the rifle?
2. And why is it a flag of the Pristinian crown instead of the royal standard?

Well, wait no longer and have your questions answered:

1. First of all, the guards stand (or are supposed to stand) in front of the royal residence. They have more representative functions than they actually fight. If they do, the flag will just have to get bloody. There's nothing wrong with that, really, is there?

2. The royal standard is to be used by the royal family and their possessions only. Fair enough, the Royal Guard are basically their personal bodyguards and thus a quasi-possession. Still, a more neutral flag was created with just the crown on it. Also, the Royal Guard often is there also when the royals are absent. Also, they are a kind of police, and a welcome guest in parades and festivals. Thus, the standard really is quite inappropriate in my opinion.

But let's actually have a look at the picture. There we go:

(Oh, and have fun!)

unif_royguard.png

Hapsburg

Banned
Ooh. Nice use of my template. :D

Another "late war" style CGU infantry uniform, both the production standard and summer woodland camouflage. The infantryman shown is an army Corporal armed with a heavy-barrel designated-marksman rifle version of the AR-78 Infantry Combat Assault Rifle Utility System.

CGUA Late War Infantry.png

Hapsburg

Banned
An hour per, maybe; give or take a few minutes. It doesn't take long, since I'm not doing them freehand. But it is somewhat difficult.

Some of these, though, I made a while back and just never had a chance to post them.

Last edited: