Rank Insignia and Uniforms Thread

OK, here's an early concept for some soldiers of the Zemplín Federation, one of the nations from my Sparrow Avengers Universe (aka European Crimson Skies).

Translation (ATL terms in the picture are in parentheses) and soldier descriptions :
fľintar - equivalent of "rifleman" (the closest direct translation of the term into English would be akin to "fusilier"), fľintar is an ATL word derived from the Zemplín dialect's generic word for a rifle or long gun - fľinta;

is zemplin a czeck or polish dialect ?

armada_marine_corps_by_colorcopycenter-d5o1q2o.png

Armada air marine uniform concept. A transitional design from late 1927 with more muted tones for purposes of camouflage.

The Armada air marines are regularly put in the line of fire, so concessions have always been made with their uniforms. Really the only difference between the transitional uniform and the older design is that the crisp white uniform shirt has been replaced with a faded khaki one. It doesn't really make a difference during aerial boarding operations, but on the ground, it's something more of a necessity.

is zemplin a czeck or polish dialect ?

East Slovak, from the region where I come from. It also has some inner-dialect subdivisions, but is largely one regional language and mostly similar to other historical dialects of east Slovakia.

I'll polish the current concepts and post some new ones as well soon. Currently, I'm trying to draw an MG crew with a Schwarzlose or Maxim M1910 machine gun. Once I'm finished, I'll move onto the other nations from my TL (the ZF is rather poor and patchy in its equipment when compared to some of the other, more industrialized states in the setting).

Last edited:

Hapsburg

Banned
Strobol in his days as an infantry officer of an elite Cavalry unit.
He has a set of ribbon bars and the golden-class Close Combat Clasp, golden-class Infantry Assault Badge, and Iron Cross. Otherwise, his uniform is relatively unadorned for such a highly-decorated soldier.

Strobol posed for portrait.png

Strobol in his days as an infantry officer of an elite Cavalry unit.
He has a set of ribbon bars and the golden-class Close Combat Clasp, golden-class Infantry Assault Badge, and Iron Cross. Otherwise, his uniform is relatively unadorned for such a highly-decorated soldier.

Well, 8 ribbon bars is nothing to scoff at. Do you have something denoted for all 8?
Also, what is the one on the top button that looks like the far left ribbon?

Hapsburg

Banned
Well, 8 ribbon bars is nothing to scoff at. Do you have something denoted for all 8?
Also, what is the one on the top button that looks like the far left ribbon?
From right to left: Iron Cross, War Merit Cross, Pour le Merite, either some Long-Service Medal or some Knighthood, Bronze Star, Distinguished Service Cross, and the Order of the Crown.
And the ribbon at the top button is another Iron Cross ribbon, just worn through a buttonhole.

The peculiarity is that he's wearing ribbon bars rather than the actual medals on his chest--usually, ribbon bars are done for minor awards (like the Bronze and Silver Stars, and service awards and such), but crosses and such are worn as medals. With neck orders worn, well, around the neck; and at least two of those ribbon bars are for neck orders.

From right to left: Iron Cross, War Merit Cross, Pour le Merite, either some Long-Service Medal or some Knighthood, Bronze Star, Distinguished Service Cross, and the Order of the Crown.
And the ribbon at the top button is another Iron Cross ribbon, just worn through a buttonhole.
I thought maybe the far left was the same. Also I don't know how I counted 8. :eek:

The peculiarity is that he's wearing ribbon bars rather than the actual medals on his chest--usually, ribbon bars are done for minor awards (like the Bronze and Silver Stars, and service awards and such), but crosses and such are worn as medals. With neck orders worn, well, around the neck; and at least two of those ribbon bars are for neck orders.[/QUOTE]
Got it. I like that there are options for simplifying the medals; similar to the US Army's uniform.

The US department of Defence was quite slow in establishing a sorcery service in the years leading up to the Weird War. Many fundamentalist christians opposed the government employing known practitioners of sorcery and felt the Militant Chaplains Corps more then covered the needs of the military.

Despite this, the DoD eventualy agreed to a accept a limited number of praticioners of the magickal arts in the form of an auxiliary corps. A strong feeling of segregationism prevailed at the time so that only white witches were allowed in but despite this, it is suspected that patriotic evil witches were able to slip in by avoiding cackling bouts.

Picture here is an acolyte second class of the White Witches Auxiliary Corps circa 1942.

wwac.jpg

a chivalric order ?

A sort of semi-monastic Religious Order rather than Chivalric per se.

Here's my rough background:

[the Order is] an obscure, partially monastic, Order considered extinct though oft rumoured otherwise (cf. Masons, Temple of Sion, etc). They are said to have been formed by the Christianisation of a heretical Jewish sect by missionaries of the Church of St Jude, itself later considered heretical by the Catholic Pope.
Although primarily nonmilitary, certan members were appointed as Wardens (later Knights Warden during the Crusades); members of the Military Orders were sometimes appointed to these posts.
Unusually this Order housed both monks and nuns on the same site, albeit in separate buildings; this later formed one of the reasons for the Papal Ban.
Popular culture associates them with Eastern Europe - particularly the Balkans - and Gothic Literature.

What he said. What's the explanation? Nazis experimenting with magic, thus causing a magical arms race?
Also, what's with the Christian Fundamentalists? In OTL, the fundamentalist movement wasn't that influential (and roundly mocked after the Scope "Monkey Trial" of 1925) until the 'sixties, when the Moral Majority and Billy Graham took off in reaction to Communism and the counterculture [waits breathlessly for someone to correct his surmise].

What he said. What's the explanation? Nazis experimenting with magic, thus causing a magical arms race?
Also, what's with the Christian Fundamentalists? In OTL, the fundamentalist movement wasn't that influential (and roundly mocked after the Scope "Monkey Trial" of 1925) until the 'sixties, when the Moral Majority and Billy Graham took off in reaction to Communism and the counterculture [waits breathlessly for someone to correct his surmise].

Seeing as how this universe has a DoD in 1942, and also witchcraft, I think we can safely assume some butterflies.

odd/bad or odd/intriguing ?

The latter.