Rank Insignia and Uniforms Thread

Here's my take on what the uniforms of a WW2-era Imperial Germany that survived WW1 may look like (originally developed for LAISOT/Convergence, and posted onto r/Kaiserreich for a thread about the same). Critique is welcome:
- Nazi emblems: while obviously the swastika would have no place on ATL imperial uniform, WW2-era regalia is nonetheless a continuation of german military heritage so that, at least in some case, uniforms and badges from OTL could be plausibly adopted ATL with only some minor changes. example below, ww2 general combat badge OTL and ATL

alt-de-gcb.jpg

- Gorget patch: another thing to take into consideration was the fact that modern warfare tend to dislike large patch of bright colours while on the battlefield so, at least for lower ranking troops, you might get the shape of the patch in a subdued colours only.

- Cap Insignia: while they more than likely would not adopt regimental cap badge, they might switch from 2 cockades to a single stamped metal badge in the shape of their politie's COA (since all men would wear the same german pattern uniform) or another option would be to keep the subnational cockade but under a metal imperial eagle or a single pattern branch emblem (army, air force, navy, etc....).

Just for you interest, here was my take on a non-nazi ww2 german uniform standards in the Ill Bethisad timeline:

http://ib.frath.net/w/German_Uniforms_During_the_Second_Great_War_(Proposal)

The Afrikanderized nature of the Kompanie Villebois-Mareuil is evident in the pragmatic kit and dress of its Legionaare. Unlike the purists of the venerable Legionaar republics, the Afrikanderized Legionaare of the Kompanie Villebois-Mareuil opt for comfort in the field over smart parade-ground appearance in wearing their combat tunics underneath their Cuirasse armor and their cloth neck covers beneath their Casque neck guard plates. Furthermore, the broad-brimmed "chapeau de brousse coloniale", though a traditional if uncommon item of headgear among the purist Legionaar companies, is much in favor among the Villebois-Mareuil Legionaare, who appreciate the bush hat's similarity to the traditional Afrikander slouch hat. Though lacking the comprehensive ballistic protection offered by the iconic M86 Casque, the Legionaar bush hat offers greater comfort during extended campaigning in the equatorial wastes and may still be worn with the Casque's detachable neck guard segments for a modicum of ballistic protection.

May I please ask if this is the proper place to request advice about uniforms that might have been?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Corps

^^ I've been more than a little fascinated by the idea of a Commonwealth formation equipped by the United States and wondered if any enthusiast could point me the direction of visuals references for that sort of thing; I know that the Free French still wore their own insignia on US gear (as well as their own headgear, where available) and wondered if the Commonwealth Corps would do the same. ^^

Also, I read in THE ARMED FORCES OF WORLD WAR II that the Italian Social Republic published regulations for a 'Germanised' uniform and wondered if anyone on the net could point me in the direction of pictures or a more detailed write-up of that look? It struck me that THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE might see Italy wear such a look and one would be very grateful for any assistance, were it to be offered.

Thank You in advance for your consideration!:)

I've been reading up on FOR WANT OF A NAIL and have been pondering what rank insignia for the Confederation of North America might look like; while it's somewhat unimaginative, it occurred to me that one quick way of fixing up a 'United States meets Canada' insignia would be to take the oak leaf from the US Army Major/Lieutenant Colonel insignia and replacing the maple leaf on Canadian insignia with it.

As I said, quick and dirty, but it does seem fairly plausible.

May I please ask if this is the proper place to request advice about uniforms that might have been?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Corps

^^ I've been more than a little fascinated by the idea of a Commonwealth formation equipped by the United States and wondered if any enthusiast could point me the direction of visuals references for that sort of thing; I know that the Free French still wore their own insignia on US gear (as well as their own headgear, where available) and wondered if the Commonwealth Corps would do the same. ^^
Polish, czech and other troops who went to the UK after their country fell often adopted the british battle dress but continued wearing their own insignias so likewise you would more than likely have commonwealth soldiers wear US combat uniforms with integral commonwealth insignias. The fact that the unit would have been of Corps size means that only their top officers would have to interact with US officers regularly so that there would be no need to adopt US style insignia for ease of recognition.

These polish soldiers for example only really differ from british soldiers of the time by their insignias including the eagle on their helmet/cap and the "poland" shoulder title:

You could obviously decide to go a more creative way if you wanted and have the commonwealth corps adopt the full US dress code only changing symbols that are too specifically linked to US traditions. For example:

US flag on shoulder -> UK, Canadian, etc... flag
colonel eagle insignia -> lion
pilot wing's US shield and star -> shield-shaped union jack and crown
US coat of arms on visor cap -> Royal Coat of Arms
etc.......

Last edited:
Also, I read in THE ARMED FORCES OF WORLD WAR II that the Italian Social Republic published regulations for a 'Germanised' uniform and wondered if anyone on the net could point me in the direction of pictures or a more detailed write-up of that look?
This could be a reference to the "Italian Legion" which ended the war as the "29th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Italian)". They wore integral Waffen-SS uniforms but most sewn patches were on a red rather than black background, all german eagles present on badges were replaced with eagles holding a fasces as on the national flag of the Italian Social Republic and the SS collar runes were replaced with various other patterns depending on dates (plain black, plain red, with a fasces, etc....)

These should give you an idea, italian on the left, german on the right:

Paquin, thank you very kindly for sharing these with me; I'm afraid that only one of the comparison pictures in the post above (the German jacket) is showing, though I do appreciate your pointing me in the right direction towards this Italian Legion - I am also extremely grateful for your suggestions r.e. the Commonwealth Corps (I remember thinking that the Canadian troops engaged alongside US forces in the Aleutian campaign would be a useful reference & precedent - one vaguely recalls their being issued with US uniform - but I have yet to track down a useful illustration of those stalwart sons of the Great White North).:)

You could obviously decide to go a more creative way if you wanted and have the commonwealth corps adopt the full US dress code only changing symbols that are too specifically linked to US traditions.
Personally I tend to favour US uniform & equipment, but Commonwealth insignia & headwear (so far as that is available); I wonder what badge this particular corps would have used? (I don't believe the Commonwealth of Nations flag was in use until the 1970s; perhaps one could 'call forward' to it with a Blue Ensign with a Gold 'C' on it?).

Paquin, thank you very kindly for sharing these with me; I'm afraid that only one of the comparison pictures in the post above (the German jacket) is showing,
second try:
italian-ww2-29th-ss-waffen-jacket.jpg

Personally I tend to favour US uniform & equipment, but Commonwealth insignia & headwear (so far as that is available); I wonder what badge this particular corps would have used? (I don't believe the Commonwealth of Nations flag was in use until the 1970s; perhaps one could 'call forward' to it with a Blue Ensign with a Gold 'C' on it?).
At the time, the Royal Coat of Arms would probably be considered the most appropriate symbol as it was used in all Commonwealth realms in some fashion.

Another thought, use the logo of the British Empire & Commonwealth Game but without the letters. The Symbolism, countries from the 5 continents united under s single crown, would make just as a much sense. Might want to put a wreath of oak around the whole to make it more martial.

Last edited:
Ah, thank you most kindly - I can see the two jackets clearly now and your British Empire & Commonwealth Games symbol is an excellent idea! :)

That Italo-German jacket is quite interest, as 'hybrid' uniforms tend to be (one of the most weirdly disconcerting images I've seen today depicts a suit of British battle dress converted to serve some U-Boat crewman of the German Kriegsmarine; apparently quite a few British uniforms were picked up after Dunkirk & handed over to the tender mercies of the Third Reich's undersea fleet, which is so perfect an inversion of their original purpose as to border on the Wilfully Perverse*); it is particularly interesting to note what appears to be a First World War campaign medal on the right of the medal 'rack' (suggesting that this fellow began his career fighting for the WWI Entente, then moved on to making war on the WWII Allied Powers).

*In all fairness, issuing that stuff to the German ARMY might rather risk 'friendly fire' incidents, to say the least.