Raise The Red Hand: A NI TL

"Those who heard Mason's speech in 1976 were relieved by his simplistic stance. He saw the situation in Ulster as a military one and was determined to continue the SAS' South Armagh theatre.

Those who "understood" his speech knew different. He was determined to make Ulster his domain and create a clear divide between the UK and the province in terms of getting things done"

John Cole "As It Seemed To Me" 1995

Extracts from an edition of "Nationwide"

Frank Bough "Mr Mason your speech has certainly caused alarm on the streets of Northern Ireland...

Roy Mason "No, there is no alarm Frank, just a realisation that I intend to do things differently"

FB, "Different from your predecessor Mr Rees, he sat back and allowed the assembly to collapse...

RM, Stop right there, My good friend Merlyn Rees certainly did not allow the assembly to collapse. The assembly collapsed because of the thuggery of the loyalists and the incorrect use of the police to stop any upheaval.

FB, It sounds Mr Mason that you intend to turn Northern Ireland into a enclave.

RM, No certainly not, My plan for Northern Ireland or Ulster is simple. First I will secure the area for all the residents. Then and only then will we sit down with all the sectors of society and look at how we can create a new future for them...a new indentity

Interested to see where this will go.

This might be a clue:
u6JU7cw.png

Best to clarify. I'm creating a TL about an "artificial" area where the residents feel neither British or Irish on the surface but something inbetween. This new identity is to foster a new sense of together and lead to a peaceful way of ending the troubles, this would occur after the security situation calmed down.

EDIT: The title is misleading. It should have been "Mason's Third Way"

"I wish to make this clear. I regarded the political aspect that I adapted after becoming Ulster Secretary in 1976 as totally wrong. I saw how between 1972 and 1976 various political initiatives failed wholeheartedly to solve the problems of that blighted province

Let me make this clear also. Merlyn Rees' attempt to create a power sharing assembly was a noble one and it was one that I supported. It was though totally wrong at the time. I saw the solution as a military one where security would be established.

This idea of an "ulster state" with no surface loyalty to either the UK or the Republic was bloody daft. A person simply cant deny or disregard loyalty to their country.

Jim and Merlyn were adamant that this would happen. I reluctantly agreed but with one major proviso. That I as Ulster Secretary along with senior military and police in the province would ultimately decide when this would happen"

Roy Mason "Paying The Price" 1999

I normally regard myself as unshockable but my first visit as Secretary to those in charge of security shocked me. The RUC and Armed forces didn't have a combined effort in place. The RUC had their own offices and the Army etc had their own and they rarely spoke to each other.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was as though a husband and wife had their own lives and weren't caring for the kids!

I took action very quickly. With Merlyn's permission I created a new combined command for safety and security in Northern Ireland. C.O.R.G ( Combined Operation Response Group) would be co-controlled by a senior RUC officer and a senior Army officer and would be based at Stormont with direct links to both the RUC and Army bases.

The idea was this. If a call came through regarding a disturbance then troops would be sent in to quell any trouble. The police would be kept behind to calm any potential flashpoints.

The Army would be the lightning conductor while the RUC would ensure day to day crime in the province was given full focus

Mason, 1999

WHO'S SIDE IS HE ON?
Belfast Telegraph

A NEW ULSTER...NEVER
Irish News

MASON 'I'LL DO THINGS MY WAY
Daily Express

BBC Radio Ulster News 17th September 1976

"The secretary of State has just announced that all flags are to be banned from all public buildings in the province."

"I'm still asked now why I ordered the banning of flags from all public buildings. The answer is simple. I wanted everyone in the province to feel equal and secure. When one group of people in their home are surrounded by flags pertaining to other groups they don't feel safe. Likewise the proliferation of Red Hand flags opposed to the dearth of irish tricolours was far from equal. So I ordered them down"

Mason 1999

That will lead to quite a bit of violence as both sides are very fond of their bunting. Nationalists -"suppression of our culture by British Imperialists"
Unionists- "suppression of our culture in the interests of a sellout to Dublin"

That will lead to quite a bit of violence as both sides are very fond of their bunting. Nationalists -"suppression of our culture by British Imperialists"
Unionists- "suppression of our culture in the interests of a sellout to Dublin"

Very true but essential if a third way is to be found

Belfast City Hall was surrounded by a ring of steel as armed forces stood between the protesting unionists and mocking nationalists, one side angry that "their flags" had gone and the other mocking the end of the status quo.

Chants, shouts, threats, and the noise of dustbins and whistles constantly foreboding.

Weapons cocked and ready.

Fear in the air

Then silence

"What the feck is that?" said one loyalist

Above the city hall was a flag, not the union jack or the tricolour or the red hand but something different.

Perhaps the harp of Ireland might be useful. I see a combination similar to South Africa, the anc and nationalist party colors.