I have a question on the first setup - the line you mention is the former Great Northern line over Stevens Pass (I know that line well - I once drove trains over it 🙂), but does this mean you are ignoring the Stampede Pass route the Northern Pacific uses? I'd call that unwise, and ideally (if BN can afford it is the probably biggest question) you'd have both Stampede and Stevens Pass routes in service, with one being a conduit for westbound traffic and the other eastbound, as both go from the same end points, though the Stevens Pass route is rather longer. (You could also run higher-priority trains along the shorter Stampede Pass route, though you'd need to raise the clearance of both tunnels to accomodate electrification and double-stack container trains.)
To answer that question, I'd definitely keep the former NP lines around. Though I was thinking the ex-NP like Stampede Pass would mainly used diesels.

To answer that question, I'd definitely keep the former NP lines around. Though I was thinking the ex-NP like Stampede Pass would mainly used diesels.
That would work, but you may wish to stick to running stack trains to Stevens Pass, to save you having to clearance the Stampede Pass tunnel, and its not tall enough for double-stack containers, and as that tunnel is uphill in both directions and peaks in the middle, you'll definitely want to spend the money on forced-air ventilation systems for the tunnel.

And to give a sense of just how massive the Canadian National Railways of the TheMann Universe is, this is its route map, that I've also handily marked with its allied railways (which are usually either reliant on CN for interchange, part owned by them or are government-owned and thus have good relations with them) and the farthest-out points on the system.

6FhDd8t.png

Another railfan video ITTL:

Those Terrific Turbines
General Electric's GTEL locomotives were some of the most powerful locomotives ever operated, and among the most unique on American railroads. First we explore the history of the GTEL and its evolution, then come along for the ride as we visit several GTELs in the 1990s on all sorts of picturesque landscapes and busy railroad divisions. Sample the GTEL-4 and GTEL-5 classes a wide variety of iconic rail routes:
- First, the Union Pacific's history with GTELs is explored. Followed by GTEL-4 and GTEL-5 locomotives showing their sheer strength on the Overland Route between Kearney, NE and Ogden, UT. With special attention being paid to runs through Echo Canyon.
- We visit the Chessie's former B&O to see the GTELs in action out of their homebase of Cumberland, MD. First, we follow the engines on the Sand Path Grade to Connellsville, PA then on the mainline to Clarksburg, WV.
- Illinois Central's GTELs haul heavy tonnage from Southeast ports to the major Midwest rail hubs such as Chicago, the Twin Cities, and St. Louis along the banks of the mighty Mississippi, and the valleys of Iowa and Minnesota.
- The ATSF's GTELs, still in the blue and yellow being phased out at the time, make their way across the Transcon between Belen, NM and Barstow, CA with the heavy, fast-paced freight traffic Santa Fe has always been known for.
- The L&N runs its GTELs through Kentucky and Tennessee with long coal trains through the mountains between Corbin, KY and Atlanta.
- Southern Pacific's GTEL-4 fleet makes its way across the Sunset Route between Yuma, AZ and El Paso, TX. Including meets with Amtrak's Sunset Limited, diesels, and even a steam excursion behind Cab forward #4294.
- Burlington Northern's GTELs make their way across Montana and the ex-NP Stampede Pass with heavy goods trains - the majority of which are grain and unit trains headed to or from Seattle.
- Erie Lackawanna's GTEL fleet runs out of their homebase of Binghamton, NY en route to numerous locations across the EL system. One of the special sights on this segment is a GTEL aiding an Amtrak Pocono regional service.

If you like GTELs, we suggest this program for you!

Last edited:
I just thought of another idea for how the ATSF can improve Raton Pass with its electrification.

In addition to the upgrades, double-tracking is where applied wherever possible. Including the La Junta to Trinidad, Raton to Las Vegas, and Santa Fe to Belen portions. As some parts of the line make double-tracking unfeasible due to tight cuts through mountains.

Thought I'd include some more of the Amtrak regional services. Both ones I derived from @TheMann and my own ideas. Also included are a few ideas from @isayyo2.

Frisco Chief (as of 2002): Daily services that run between St. Louis and Amarillo. Running first over the ATSF's ex-Frisco west to Oklahoma City via Springfield and Tulsa, then via the Rock Island the rest of the way to Amarillo. St. Louis serves as a connection to several key Amtrak Midwest lines, where Amarillo links the services with Colorado's Front Range services to Denver and Cheyenne, and Amtrak Texas' Caprock services to Ft. Worth/Dallas via Lubbock and Abeline. Additionally, recent proposals have suggested the regional service being extended all the way to Belen, NM via Santa Fe to link with such trains as the Super Chief and City of San Diego.

Mark Twain Zephyr: Thrice-daily services that run over the Amtrak Midwest mainline from Chicago to Peoria. At Peoria, the trains then run over the TP&W tracks to the town of Bushnell, where it then continues on BN tracks to Hannibal via Quincy. This is one of several trains created explicitly to serve communities bypass by conventional Amtrak lines in the Midwest.

Yellowhammer: Corridor opened in 1988 by the State of Alabama, initially serving Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile via the L&N mainline. In 1992, the services were extended northeast to Chattanooga via Gadsen on the Tennessee, Alabama, & Georgia and Birmingham, Chattanooga and Atlanta (the latter of which was built in my TL). Later deals with the L&N saw the services extended west to New Orleans via Gulfport, MS.

Mackinaw: Daily services run by the Michigan DOT, designed to connect Mackinaw City with Amtrak Midwest's mainline at Kalamazoo. The services also then stop at Grand Rapids to connect with the Pere Marquette regional services. Heading further north, the trains then run over the Traverse & Rapids shortline railroad to Traverse City, where the railway then runs to Mackinaw City. DMUs are the rules on the line, as is often the case.

Little American: Operated by the State of Maryland, these services mainly serve as a way to link Pittsburgh with the Northeast Corridor, much like what Pennsylvania's Keystone regionl services. The most apparent difference is that these trains run through Maryland via the Chessie's former B&O mainline. Several talks of extending services through northern West Virginia to Clarksburg, though so far nothing has come of it.

Volunteer: These services run through the state of Tennessee from Memphis to Knoxville via Chattanooga and Nashville. These train are painted in a scheme similar to OTL's Nashville Commuter trains. The line from Memphis to Chattanooga is the Louisville & Nashville's former NC&StL line. While the rest of the way to Knoxville is over the Southern Railroad. These are intended to link with Georgia's state/private run Peachtree service further south.

Piedmont: Thrice-daily services in each direction that cover a mainline from Asheville to Kitty Hawk. The former city serves as a link with the state of Tennessee's Volunteer services, then runs via new-build and Amtrak Southeast tracks to Winston-Salem, Durham, Raleigh, and Selma. At Selma, the trains run via Southern's ex-NS line to Kitty Hawk via the famous road-rail bridge over the water. Another branch has the line terminate in Charlotte, rather than Asheville. This service is run mainly by diesel-hauled consists, though the Charlotte - Raleigh segments sometimes see electrics on the front.

Olympic: Service run jointly by CAHSR, the city of Las Vegas, and the state of Utah to link Ogden and Los Angeles. The services run between the two cities over the Union Pacific between the two cities via Las Vegas, Barstow, and San Bernadino. Originally, the service ran entirely using DMUs based on the NSW XPT trains, which in turn are based on the Intercity 125 of BR fame. However, talks have been made to electrify the services between Las Vegas and Los Angeles thanks to Union Pacific electrifying that part of their system.

Wabash Cannonball: This DMU service runs over the Chessie's ex-Wabash tracks to link the Water Level Route with Peoria. It runs via Ft. Wayne and Lafayette on to Danville. At Danville the trains run via NYC tracks to Champaign and Peoria. Recent talks have led to the possibility of a branch to Springfield from Danville via Decatur, though that's still very much a work in progress.

Big Sky: Originally envisioned as a northbound extension of the Front Range services, this regional service eventually took on a life of its own thanks to deal between Burlington Northern and the states of Montana and Wyoming. Operating behind DMU services, this service serves to link Missoula and Cheyenne via Wendover, Casper, Billings, and Helen. Being designed to link with Front Range services and the Chicago - LA Desert Wind at Cheyenne, and the Chicago - Seattle Western Star at Billings. From Billings, trains continue west to the Montana capital of Helena. This service is only modest success compared to other Amtrak regional services, but it still serve an important role in the transportation of passengers across Wyoming and Montana

Sioux: Daily services by Amtrak Midwest that run from the Twin Cities to Kansas City via Sioux Falls, Sioux City, Council Bluffs, and St. Joseph. These services run mainly over BN tracks from the Twin Cities to Souix City, then over the Union Pacific's former CNW to Council Bluffs, then returns to BN rails to reach Kansas City via St. Joseph. These trains run several times a day in each direction behind the AXCT trainsets, and are designed to link passengers with Amtrak's numerous long-distance trains.

Pocono: Thrice daily services that run over the former DL&W from Jersey City, NJ to Buffalo via Scranton, Binghamton, and Elmira. These trains are powered by JetTrain DMUs, though talks of electrification have been raised at certain times. Trains are scheduled to meet with Amtrak Midwest HSR services in Buffalo, as well as to connect with Steamtown NHS excursion trains on certain intervals.

Reno Daylight: These regional services are, like the Monterey services, operated by the state of California. EMU-operated trains run from San Fransisco to Reno over the Southern Pacific mainline via Sacramento and Donner Pass. At Reno, the trains then run slightly south to Carson City via the Western Pacific mainline.

Deseret: Operated by the state of Utah, this service runs EMU-powered trains from Salt Lake City to Reno, NV via the Southern Pacific mainline. These services are timed with the Reno Daylight trains to provide commuters with a direct link to the Bay Area.

Last edited:
These regional services are refreshing to read Boyd! I like the small detail of the Daylight running south to Carson City, totally changes the region.

More regional services in my TL, including ideas derived from @TheMann and @isayyo2. If there are any ideas you guys had (or ones you'd like to provide further context for), go ahead and add them.

Caprock: High-frequency services that run from Ft. Worth to Amarillo. Running first via the Milwaukee Road's ex-T&P to Lubbock, then over Santa Fe rails to Amarillo. These trains were first introduced shortly after the first Texas TGV trains began operation in 1993. There have been talks of adding a branch from Lubbock to El Paso, but so far most feel the presence of the Sunset Limited is satisfactory service for El Paso.

Pocono Philly Branch: This branch of the regional service diverges from the original line at Scranton to head southeast to Philadelphia via Wilkes-Barre and Allentown. Like the Pocono regional service, it uses mainly turbine-powered DMUs, and is regularly scheduled to work alongside Steamtown NHS excursions.

Astronaut: Regional services that run from Memphis to Chattanooga via Hunstville, AL. These trains are scheduled to link up with the State of Tennessee's Volunteer trains, and the State of Georgia's Peachtree services, as well as the Lone Star train that runs to San Antonio then Los Angeles. As is the case with many other feeder routes in the Southeast, these trains are operated by DMUs, as the politicians and people are both content with what keeps their taxes low.

Hoosier State: Runs from Toledo on the Water Level Route to Paducah via Ft. Wayne, Muncie, Indianapolis, Bloomington, Vincennes, and Evansville. This train is known as the "University Line" due to serving several colleges along the way. Indeed, the state of Indiana has painted its equipment in a special crimson and cream that's dedicated to the IU system - which was also done by the Monon. Additionally, the trains are scheduled to meet with the Broadway Limited at Ft. Wayne, the Wabash Cannonball regionals that head to Peoria, as well as to meet with Amtrak Midwest trains at Toledo, Indianapolis, and Paducah.

Big Easy: Daily service that serves the state of Louisiana, running over the Illinois Central from New Orleans to Baton Rogue, then the Milwaukee Road's ex-T&P mainline from Baton Rogue to Texarkana via Baton Rogue and Shreveport. These DMU-powered services are scheduled for passengers to be able to meet up with the Lone Star passenger route, which links Chicago and Los Angeles via San Antonio. Additionally, this service is known for having an almost entirely Cajun and Creole-based menu in its diner.

Sunflower: In the days before HSR hit the state of Kansas, and after the ATSF relinquished passenger rail to the Amtrak Group, this regional service was created to ensure continued rail service between Kansas City and Texas via Wichita. Running largely on the ATSF route, this service would nonetheless decline in purpose as Amtrak eventually arrived in the 2020s, and the Lone Star Rocket train from the Twin Cities/Chicago to Houston was born.

Crusader: Running over the tracks of the famous Reading service, the service runs between Jersey City and Harrisburg via Allentown and Reading. This is one of the last services in the Northeast region of the Amtrak system to use locomotive-hauled trains on completely electrified lines, as EMUs have become the rule elsewhere. Even then, plans to replace the locomotives and coaches with said EMUs are being developed as we speak.

Front Range Amarillo Branch: This line diverges from the Cheyenne - El Paso route of the original Front Range services at Pueblo. From there, it reaches Amarillo via the ATSF line which runs through La Junta and Boise City. Said branch connects the Front Range service with the Frisco Chief service from St. Louis and the Caprock services from Ft. Worth that connect with the Texas TGV system. The system also serves as a way for passengers on the Super Chief to access Denver and Cheyenne, which is a nice bonus.

Everglades: Operated as part of Amtrak Florida, this service runs from from Tampa to Naples via Sarasota and Fort Myers three times a day. Opened shortly after the Tampa/St. Petersburg HSR's original completion, this is a rather popular service for the more touristy passengers of Florida, which means that the already thrice-weekly services can see up to six trains a day in each direction during the vacation months, and accordingly is scheduled to meet with the South Wind from Chicago and Palmetto from New York at Tampa. At first, the service ran behind DMUs, but plans to electrify the services began in 2018, and are projected to be completed by 2025 at the latest.

Palmtree: Daily regional services from Atlanta east to Charleston, SC via Augusta and Columbia. Compared to the more commuter-oriented Peachtree services from Chattanooga to Savannah and Jacksonville, this service is meant mainly for vacation-goers. Naturally leading to busy traffic during the summer and holiday seasons. Additionally, this train also serves as a connection to the Palmetto service which runs from New York to the Tampa-St. Petersburg area. Turbine powered JetTrain DMUs are the rule on the line, as the heavy tourist season proved to be quite a headache on the locomotive-hauled trains that originally started the service.

Montgomery Crescent: Another regional service that runs out of Atlanta. However, this one mainly acts more as an extension of the state of Alabama's Yellowhammer service, linking Mongtomery to Atlanta via the historic mainline through Opelika. As is the case with most of the other Atlanta-area regional services, this one runs using DMU-powered trains like the JetTrain, as most feel little need to electrify the line due to lower traffic than the route to Birmingham via Anniston.

Last edited:
Some regional add ons your world

Hatch Valley Regional: ATSF DMU Santa Fe - Albuquerque - La Cruces - El Paso. Daily Service with connections to Long Distance Amtrak and cross-border Ferrocarril, eventually electrified with Steel Interstate program.

Oasis Regional: Nogales - Tuscon - Phoenix - Yuma - Palm Springs - Pomona - Los Angeles. Daily EMU that serves as Arizona's transit backbone with cross-border Ferrocarril connection at Nogales and Yuma. Alternatively, this service could run with the Los Angeles - Phoenix HSR line that primarily follows I-10.

The Silver State: Las Vegas - Indian Springs - Beatty - Goldfield - Tonopah - Hawthorne - Carson City - Reno. This regional line links Reno and Las Vegas over a rebuilt line running parallel to US Route 95. This Western Pacific owned lined was once a variety of smaller companies to support the mining boom for gold and bauxite at the turn of the century, these were bought up by the WP in their quest to reach Los Angeles. The harsh desert is slowing blooming due hundreds of millions of gallons of desalted water being pumped in from California nuclear energy complexes; there is potential for electrication as US 95 is upgraded into Interstate 11 due to Nevada's growth.

Some regional add ons your world

Hatch Valley Regional: ATSF DMU Santa Fe - Albuquerque - La Cruces - El Paso. Daily Service with connections to Long Distance Amtrak and cross-border Ferrocarril, eventually electrified with Steel Interstate program.

Oasis Regional: Nogales - Tuscon - Phoenix - Yuma - Palm Springs - Pomona - Los Angeles. Daily EMU that serves as Arizona's transit backbone with cross-border Ferrocarril connection at Nogales and Yuma. Alternatively, this service could run with the Los Angeles - Phoenix HSR line that primarily follows I-10.

The Silver State: Las Vegas - Indian Springs - Beatty - Goldfield - Tonopah - Hawthorne - Carson City - Reno. This regional line links Reno and Las Vegas over a rebuilt line running parallel to US Route 95. This Western Pacific owned lined was once a variety of smaller companies to support the mining boom for gold and bauxite at the turn of the century, these were bought up by the WP in their quest to reach Los Angeles. The harsh desert is slowing blooming due hundreds of millions of gallons of desalted water being pumped in from California nuclear energy complexes; there is potential for electrication as US 95 is upgraded into Interstate 11 due to Nevada's growth.
Thanks for the ideas! I also had several I derived from @TheMann, and I was thinking I'd ask for his permission to quote the DM he detailed them in.

Last edited:
Guess what. More regional services of my TL, only this time with ideas I derived from @TheMann added in, which are indicated with an asterisk. Also included is the new version of one of my older ideas.

Flying Yankee: Serving as the spiritual successor to the B&M train of the same name, this service initially ran from Boston north to Vanceboro, connecting with VIA Rail to Halifax via Portland, Augusta, and Bangor. However, the extension of the Northeast Corridor to Portland in 2016 meant the line would be contracted only to Portland. Said service uses electric locomotives from Portland to Bangor, and diesels handle it the rest of the way to the border with Canada.

Vermonter*: This service originally operated from New York to Montreal via its namesake state. Using electrics from New York to Springfield on the PRR's former New Haven, then diesel power the rest of the way to Montreal via Burlington and St. Albans. A later 1995 extension added a Boston section that split from the main train at Springfield, then continued eastward via the New York Central's former Boston & Albany line.

Ethan Allen*: Runs from New York to Burlington, VT via Albany and Rutland. This train is notable for not only accommodating for people going north to ski and bring bicycles, but also because of its equipment. Said train uses special versions of the JetTrain DMU that are designed to used a third-rail power pickup from Harmon to New York. Additionally, recent talk has proposed extending the train all the way to Washington DC, which would admittedly necessitate replacing the DMUs with straight-up locomotives.

Liberty Bell: These thrice daily services are meant to be a Philly extension for the Pocono services. These trains runs from Scranton to Philadelphia via the Chessies former CNJ/Reading lines via Allentown. These trains not only are scheduled to connect with the Pocono services, but also with the various trains that run beyond Philly to the Southeast like the Silver Star, Crescent, and Palmetto.

Keystone: Pennsylvania's primary regional service for the southern half of the state - as well as New Jersey's link to the main Amtrak system. This service operates up to eight trains a day in each direction over the PRR from Pittsburgh to Atlantic City via Altoona, Harrisburg, and Philadelphia. Trains are timed for passengers to be able to reach many of the NEC's long-distance trains, as well as the Capital Limited and National Limited out west at Pittsburgh.

Transdominion: Virginia's official passenger rail service, which runs several trains a day. The route's primary mainline is the PRR's former N&W from Bristol to Norfolk via Christiansburg, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Farmville, Petersburg, and Suffolk. However, branches also take trains to Washington DC via Charlottesville and Richmond via Farmville, both on Southern railroad trackage. Although the ex-N&W is entirely electrified, the Southern lines are not, necessitating the use of DMUs rather than the preferred EMUs.

Peachtree*: The State of Georgia's main passenger service, with high-frequency. This service runs from Chattanooga to Altanta, then Macon over the Southern Railway. At Macon, the trains split to either continue along the Southern at Jacksonville, or run over the Illinois Central's former Central of Georgia line to Savannah. Trains are most frequent on the Atlanta - Jacksonville section with 6 trains a day, the Atlanta - Savannah section having 4 trains a day, and the Chattanooga - Atlanta section seeing 2 trains a day. These services were initially operated behind the ACXT DMUs based on the Intercity 125, but JetTrain DMUs have since taken over.

Gulf Line: One of the several Florida regional services, this line originally ran from Jacksonville to Pensacola over the Seaboard Coast Line and Louisville and Nashville tracks via Tallahassee. Then in 2007, the line was again extended over the L&N mainline to Flomaton, AL so the Florida network would be linked to Alabama's Yellowhammer system. In addition to the twice daily trains in each direction, this line also sees Amtrak's Sunset Limited and South Wind long-distance services.

Florida Keys: Despite being the third most significant of Florida's major feeder lines along with the Everglades and Gulf Line services, this was the first one built - shortly after the Miami line's original completion in 1992. This line operates behind the AXCT DMU sets from Miami to Key Largo via Homestead. At Key Largo, buses take passengers the rest of the way to Keys West. These trains also runs ten times a day in each direction - a record for Amtrak regional services, and are often scheduled to work with such trains as the Floridian to Chicago, Silver Star to Boston, and Sunset Limited to Los Angeles.

Pere Marquette: A DMU-operated alternate Chicago - Detroit route that runs via the Chessie's former namesake route via Benten Harbor, Grand Rapids, and Lansing. Additionally, eastbound trains are timed so that passengers can connect with the Blue Water service to Port Huron at Lansing.

Saginaw Limited: Runs behind DMUs from Detroit to Bay City via Flint and Saginaw City. These trains are specifically scheduled to allow passengers an easy transit to various Midwest HSR services as well as the Pan-American to San Antonio.

Peninsula 400: This DMU-run service is mainly a continuation of the CNW passenger train of the same name, running from Milwaukee to Impeshing over the Union Pacific's ex-CNW line via Fond Du Lac and Green Bay.

Little Rock Limited: Running using DMUs from Memphis to Tulsa via Little Rock and Ft. Smith. This line runs over Rock Island tracks from Memphis to Little Rock, then over newly-built tracks to Tulsa via Ft. Smith. This is one of the less significant lines, though it's still used by the state of Arkansas to link Little Rock and Ft. Smith together and on to the greater Amtrak system. However, this hasn't stopped them looking at the idea of extending the service on new tracks to Pine Bluff.

Frisco Chief: One of the longer regional services in the Amtrak System, this service connects St. Louis with Belen on a route that uses the ATSF's ex-Frisco from St. Louis to Oklahoma City via Springfield and Tulsa. At Oklahoma City, the trains then run over the Rock Island to Amarillo. At Amarillo, the train connects with the Front Range and Caprock regional services, then rejoins the ATSF, and runs over that line to Belen, NM via Clovis and Mountainair. In addition to the aeformentioned connections in Amarillo, the service also connects to Amtrak Midwest in St. Louis and the Front Range, Super Chief, and City of San Diego services at Belen.

Las Aztecas: Runs over the Milwaukee Road's former MoPac from Laredo to either San Antonio or Corpus Christi behind the ACXT DMUs. In addition to the Texas TGV services, these trains also are meant to connect with the Texas Eagle to Chicago, Pan-American to Detroit, and the Crescent to New York.

Brownsville Flyer: The other major Texas regional in the state's south. This train runs from Houston to its namesake city via Victoria. These trains are timed so they can connect with not just the Corpus Christi sections of the Las Aztecas and other long-distance trains that stop in both San Antonio and Houston, but also with the Lone Star Rocket that runs north to the Twin Cities.

Front Range*: Starting under the Reagan Administration in 1982, these services originally ran from Cheyenne to Denver over the Burlington Northern, then Denver to Pueblo via the Rio Grande. When the ATSF finally relinquished all passenger services other than the Super Chief to Amtrak in 1985, the line received two branches from Pueblo. The first one continued over the Rio Grande to Trinidad, then ran down the ATSF to El Paso via Raton Pass, Las Vegas, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Belen, and Las Cruces. A second branch was introduced in 1990, which ran to Amarillo via La Junta and Boise City, OK (which is of course detailed above).

Del Monte*: This DMU-run services runs from San Fransisco along the Southern Pacific Coast Division to the town of Salinas. At Salinas, the trains then run to the namesake town of Monterey. This service is loved by locals because in addition to providing connections to long-distance trains and CAHSR, it also links commuters to the San Francisco International Airport. This makes for a service that can see up to five trains a day in each direction.

Pacific Surfliner*: The diesel-hauled, vacationer and local oriented alternative to the CAHSR which runs from San Fransisco to San Diego along the coast (as my TL's CAHSR between LA and San Diego runs alongside a fictional SP line that runs via Temecula and Escondido). These trains run along first the Southern Pacific route from San Fransisco to Los Angeles, then the Santa Fe's famous Surf Line the rest of the way to San Diego. As there is a gap in motive power, the trains north of Oxnard are hauled by diesel locomotives, with electric locomotives finishing the route to San Diego.

Last edited:
Just a few more regional services, I promise. (OK, maybe not). * means derived from @TheMann.

Cascades*: The regional-based counterparts to Amtrak Northwest's HSR. The line uses the same line as the HSR, which parallels the Milwaukee Road's new-build line from Vancouver to Portland via Tacoma and Olympia. Then, the trains run behind diesels on the Southern Pacific from Portland to Eugene. Recent talk has been made of expanding the service's scope north of Vancouver to the city of Whistler, which would run behind electrics like the current Portland - Vancouver section does.

Peavine: Operated with the AXCT DMUs by the State of Arizona, this train runs over the namesake ATSF subdivision. Linking Pheonix with Williams via Prescott and Ash Fork. These trains are specifically timed for passengers to be able to connect with trains of the Grand Canyon Scenic Railroad, as well as the Super Chief. This route is especially beloved by local for the reason of the connections to the Grand Canyon.

Ohio River Limited: Daily services from Cincinnati to St. Louis, running over the Louisville & Nashville mainline via Louisville and Evansville. These trains use diesel-hauled trains from St. Louis to Louisville. However, the line from Louisville to Cincinnati has since begun using electrics ever since Amtrak Midwest expanded its Buckeye Division to Louisville. These trains are scheduled to connect with the New York - Cincinnati Ohio State Limited, as well as the Cincinnatian feeder and National Limited.

Hoover Dam Limited: A DMU service run by the state of Arizona. This train runs over entirely new tracks from Las Vegas to Phoenix via Kingman. In addition to linking said cities, this line also lets people from Vegas board the Sunset Limited at Phoenix or the Super Chief at Kingman. Recent talk has been made of electrifying the line in its entirety, though nothing has come of it so far.

Cincinnatian: Succeeding the B&O train of the same name, this DMU train runs twice-daily in each direction service from Detroit to its namesake city via Toledo and Dayon. However, the line between Toledo and Lima runs via Findlay rather than the original B&O line via Deshler.

New River Runner: Runs over the Chessie's mainline from Cincinnati to Charleston, WV via Ashland, KY and Kenova, WV. This route uses DMUs along the Ohio River's banks. This route is most profitable during the vacation months of the year, and accordingly there are now bike accommodations for vacationers wanting to enter into the heart of West Virginia.

North Star: Runs from the Twin Cities to the namesake cities via EMU-powered services. These are connected to link with several trains that go through or start in the Twin Cities. Namely the Empire Builder to Seattle, Western Star to Portland, and the Lone Star Rocket to Houston. The state of Minnesota has recently made plans to electrify the line as part of its environmental programs, using a nuclear power plant that's been proposed for construction near Duluth.

West Virginian: This service operates over secondary NYC lines from Detroit to Charleston via Toledo, Findlay, and Columbus. Compared to the Cincy - Charleston New River Runner, this train is not as strongly oriented towards tourists, and mostly acts as a way to let West Virginians connects to Amtrak Midwest and other long-distance trains in the area. Diesel-operated trains have historically been the rule on this line, but NYC's consideration of electrics has led to EMUs also being considered to take over this service; should such an event happen that is.

Fayetteville Express: Run by the state of Arkansas, the diesel run line uses the former Frisco from Ft. Smith to Monett via Fayetteville. This route mainly serves as a way for residents of Fayetteville to board either the Little Rock Limited or the Frisco Chief. As such, these train usually consist of just a locomotive and four passenger cars.

Bluegrass Capital: Run by the state of Kentucky in collaboration with the L&N, this service runs from Lexington to Louisville via Frankfort, with several stops in smaller towns along the way. These trains, like most other regional services, are scheduled to connect with long distance trains like the Floridian, South Wind, and Pan-American. This train is also notable in that its first ever service was pulled by L&N Pacific steam engine #295. Traditional power for the line has been DMUs, but EMUs have been considered in recent years due to growing patronship.

Last edited:
I recently had a second though regarding my Frisco Chief regional service idea.

Perhaps instead of running via the Rock Island from Oklahoma City to Amarillo, the service could instead continue over the ATSF's ex-Frisco to Amarillo via Enid and the junction at Avard. Instead, a revival of the Tulsan meets with the Frisco Chief at Tulsa to let passengers connect with the two trains.

Feeder lines again (had to make some new changes again, I'm afraid).

Frisco Chief: The shorter spiritual successor to the ATSF/Frisco's St. Louis - LA streamliner the Missouri Chief. This train now operates as a regional service from St. Louis to Belen via Springfield, Tulsa, Enid, and Amarillo. These services are scheduled to allow easy connections with such trains at the Amtrak Midwest Southern Main (to Pittsburgh via Columbus and Indianapolis), and Lincoln (to Chicago via Springfield and Peoria) routes, as well as other routes that terminate in St. Louis. At Tulsa, the train connects with the Kansas City - Oklahoma City Firefly, at Amarillo with the Caprock and Front Range services, and with the City Of San Diego, Southwest Limited [1], and Super Chief.

Land O'Corn: JetTrain-powered DMU services that link Chicago and Cedar Rapids via Rockford and Dubuque, rather than on the HSR mainline via Peoria and the Quad Cities. These trains are essentially regional supplements to the Desert Wind and Pioneer liners, and are scheduled to connect with the HSR at Cedar Rapids, as well as the California Zephyr streamliner.

Firefly: Powered by JetTrain trainsets, these are regional services that link Kansas City and Oklahoma City on the ATSF's former Frisco via Ft. Scott and Tulsa. This service connects with the Frisco Chief at Tulsa, but also is scheduled to serve as an Oklahoma extension for the National Limited at Kansas City. This service was also notable in that on June 23, 2009, Frisco steam engine #1522 was called in with her excursion train consist to run the regular service after the trainset originally intended to take it failed.

Vicksburg Limited: Powered by diesel-hauled consists, these services were introduced in the mid-2010s to link Ft. Worth/Dallas with the Southeast region of the Amtrak Group on a route that bypass New Orleans. These services run from Ft. Worth to Jackson via Longview, Shreveport, and Monroe. These services are timed specifically to link with the Southern Crescent from New York to San Antonio, as well as the Pan-American to Detroit via Nashville and Cincinnati.

Wilmingtonian: Operates from Wilmington, and the connection with the Northeast Corridor, to Ocean City, MD via Dover. These services are operated entirely by EMUs, thanks to the environmental initiatives by both Delaware and Maryland. Frequency with this service can be up to seven train a day in each direction, making for a grand total of fourteen trains a day.

Old Dominion: In contrast to the Northeast Corridor, which serves Norfolk via Williamsburg and Newport News before going under the famous Chesapeake Bridge-Tunnel, this EMU-powered service runs over former SAL and N&W tracks via Petersburg and Suffolk. These trains are meant to serve as a supplement to the Transdominion regional services through the rest of Virginia.

Lincolns: What the Metroliners are to the Northeast Corridor and what the Cascades are to the Northeast, these EMU-powered trains are to the Chicago - St. Louis corridor of the Midwest Regional System. These trains mainly serve as more of a casual alternative to the HSR and long-distance trains, and see up to six trains in each direction a day via Peoria and Springfield.

Dixielanders: These EMU services as the regional supplements to HSR from Charlotte to Birmingham via Atlanta. Though they're not as frequent as similar services like Metroliners and Lincoln services.

[1] ITTL, a condition of Amtrak taking over ATSF's Super Chief was that Amtrak would use the ATSF transcon in its entirety. Amtrak refused at first, but the tentative name was later used for this Chicago - St. Louis - Kansas City - Denver - Santa Fe - Flagstaff - LA service.

Last edited: