1941-1945
- The Railroad are flogged to their limits during this era. Vital time and resources prevent locomotive development. So various Locomotive builders revise designs for engines to create others.
- Lima has another idea and created the Lima Standards.

1945-1950
- Railroads are paid in kind for their help with subsidized improvements and rolling back the ICC.

When do you think would be a good time for my TL's Erie Lackawanna merger?

I ask since among things I can see the Erie 2-6-6-4 being built after all ITTL. Not to mention DL&W 4-8-4 designs on expresses across the Midwest.

When do you think would be a good time for my TL's Erie Lackawanna merger?

I ask since among things I can see the Erie 2-6-6-4 being built after all ITTL. Not to mention DL&W 4-8-4 designs on expresses across the Midwest.

Maybe a Depression-era merger? That way, you'll have more time to play with steam

SsgtC

Banned
Of course I will not be making non-train posts that common beyond adding some world-building. But I thought I would include this...

February 3, 1923
Kansas City, MO

A man drew furiously on his canvas paper. It was not simply passion. But also anger at how much he was starving. For several weeks he only had baked beans to eat for any meals. Aside for whatever he could rummage in the trash bins. After finishing his current can of beans, he looked at a cigar package on the other side.

Eventually, the man went out and decided to make a barter.

"Excuse me, sir." he said to a passerby. "Could I interest you in a package of cigarettes?"

The man obliged and gave him $5 as thanks. The younger man was ecstatic, and used it immediately on a ham and cheese sandwich.

But after he had finished his first proper meal, the young man thought of something.

"I need to spend less on those damn cigars. I could be full right now if I didn't."

For that reason, a single Marlboro the day before was the last cigarette Walt Disney ever smoked.
I would be extremely careful using that. That post is nearly identical to the opening post of Laughing Place: Redefining Disney. You could be accused of plagerism. See below:

A man slumped down at the corner of an alleyway. He hadn’t showered in weeks, and his stomach rumbled incessantly. He was currently living off of a lone ham and cheese sandwich he’d managed to scrounge out of the trash, but he’d eaten that two… no, three days ago. It seemed as though life couldn’t get any worse for him. His dream of becoming a world-renowned artist was fading, and no one wanted the works he and his team had made so far. The man’s whole vision was going down the drain.

With no shame, he looked at the pile of trash sitting next to him and began rooting through it. Maybe he could find another sandwich, or an old apple, or a half-filled pack of cigarettes, or… wait, what was that?

Frantic, the man rummaged around some more and then triumphantly pulled out a quarter. This thing was pure gold, and with it, the man could maybe buy some food or something, but then again, he was also craving tobacco.

The man exited a small store a few minutes later, a tin of cigarettes under his arm, as he attempted to light one with his shaking hands. He took a puff, and sighed. But later that night, as his stomach growled and he got sicker and sicker (no food for way too long will do that to you), the man made up his mind about something.

“Goddamn it, that does it! I won’t smoke another cigarette until I can make sure I’ve got bread on the table every damn night!” he suddenly yelled, sitting up from the place he’d been sleeping on the floor of his cartoon studio.

Yes indeed, Walt Disney promised himself he’d never again touch a cigarette.

Kinda? I mean, it's certainly less similar, but the general idea is still the exact same: Walt Disney quits smoking because he's hungry. Can't you find another, more original way to make him quit smoking?
I actually did think of an idea where he quits after learning what caused his mother's death. The trouble is I was not sure how much longer he'd live than OTL if it happened then.

I actually did think of an idea where he quits after learning what caused his mother's death. Though I was not sure how much longer he'd live than OTL if it happened then.
You could have a similar tragedy occur earlier, and kill off either his father, mother, or beloved sister, Ruth. Roy dying would probably cause too many butterflies. To make it extra sad (and a bit more plausible, considering falling asleep in a room with a broken, gas-leaking radiator is a bit random), have a cigarette (or even his cigarette) fail to be put out and accidentally spark a fire that kills a family member.

You could have a similar tragedy occur earlier, and kill off either his father, mother, or beloved sister, Ruth. Roy dying would probably cause too many butterflies. To make it extra sad (and a bit more plausible, considering falling asleep in a room with a broken, gas-leaking radiator is a bit random), have a cigarette (or even his cigarette) fail to be put out and accidentally spark a fire that kills a family member.
Thank you for the offer. Though I do also like my idea of it happening after Flora Call dies. Because if I don't have him not try like @OldNavy1988 did, I felt his mom's death would also be a plausible reason.

Back to railroads:

The Southern
- This railroad buys a small fleet of Garratts for use in the Rathole Division. Despite their fuel and water capacities, they are good machines when hooked up with a special water car.
- On flatter terrain, Southern orders some 4-8-4s and 2-8-4s from Lima for fast passenger and freight respectively.
- Later on in the 1940s, Southern starts to electrify the Rathole. Soon after, the line through Georgia to Jacksonville follows.
- Southern preserves Ps-4 #1398 at Charlotte. This eventually leads to her being the star of Southern's steam program.
- Southern works with other Southeast roads, several businesses, and other to create Amtrak Southeast in the 1980s.

SsgtC

Banned
This railroad buys a small fleet of Garratts for use in the Rathole Division. Despite their fuel and water capacities, they are good machines when hooked up with a special water car.
Having to hook to a tender anyway is exactly why they won't do this. You're getting the bad aspects of everything. Plus, no one in the US built Garratts. I know you really want to see Garratts in the US, but they make no sense for American railroads.

I have to agree with @SsgtC on this one. I had to do some research on Garratts they dont suit mainline us railroads at all. If you have to have them in the us maybe a shortline ends up with one via insert hand wave of god here. Or as an industrial yard engine somewhere.

Southern Pacific
- The SP builds from Los angeles to San Diego via Long Beach and Oceanside.
- Electrification is introduced to the Sierra Nevada lines first. Then elsewhere in California.
- The Trona Railway, which extended to Las Vegas in the 1920s, is bought by SP in the late 40s.
- The effects of electricity leaves a surplus of steam engines. Which allows more SP locos to be preserved due to the sheer number lying in scrapyards making them difficult to all cut up.
- SP introduces California state passenger services. Evolving into California HSR.

I have to agree with @SsgtC on this one. I had to do some research on Garratts they dont suit mainline us railroads at all. If you have to have them in the us maybe a shortline ends up with one via insert hand wave of god here. Or as an industrial yard engine somewhere.
Well, ALCO did have the contract to build a garratt. So maybe have the garratt on a logging line?