Railroad connection across the Bering Strait

I've seen a few Timelines where having a rail link through the Darien Gap makes sense (Decades of Darkness is the only one that springs immediately to mind) mostly for a USA taking most of the Americas.

After seeing Snowpiercer , I'm wondering what possible history would hive a Railroad Connection across the Bering Strait, I'm not even sure any planet spanning empire would do so.

I'm tempted to put this as ASB, but it is probably *possible* with 2020 technology, presuming the world didn't have anything else to do.

How about a rail car ferry instead?

POD is either keeping Alaska Russian or somehow getting the US/Canada to make a protectorate over part of Siberia after the revolution.

How about a rail car ferry instead?

This. Any bridge is going to have to deal with crazy storms, plus ice floes. Any tunnel is going to have to deal with ventilation, plus tectonic plate fault lines. All that aside, you would need Elon Musk levels of wild, financed by Jeff Bezos levels of money to even attempt something.

Go with a boat.

The Bering Straits are only 120' deep on average; just keep dumping gravel and rock to build a causeway. Build a bridge or tunnel between the Diomede Islands for a shipping channel

This would be what you want since it neatly avoids many problems of either a tunnel or a bridge.

This. Any bridge is going to have to deal with crazy storms, plus ice floes. Any tunnel is going to have to deal with ventilation, plus tectonic plate fault lines. All that aside, you would need Elon Musk levels of wild, financed by Jeff Bezos levels of money to even attempt something.

Go with a boat.
I think you're overestimating the environment of the Bering Strait. We already build bridges that can stand up to typhoons and there's not too many days a year with comparable conditions there.

Earthquakes wouldn't be a particular risk to a tunnel either since the Bering Strait is not on a fault line unlike the Aleutians much further south. Ventilation should be doable too as it's not significantly deep.

I wouldn't be surprised if the most expensive part of such an infrastructure project is actually the improvements needed to rail transit in Russia and Alaska. There's a hell of a lot of bridges that need to be built and track to be laid in some awful conditions that combine with permafrost and sheer isolation to make for many difficult engineering challenges. And the whole deal with connecting Alaska's railroads to the rest of the US through Canada, since why link it to Russia when it isn't even linked to anywhere else?

Devvy

Donor
Even for me, it's a stretch too far. The Bering Strait bridge itself isn't too bad, but on the Russian side you have approx 1800miles/2800km of harsh terrain to build a new line across to get to the nearest railhead. And about 650miles/1000km on the US side to get to Anchorage, and then another god knows how far through the Rockies to get to Canada (not sure where the nearest Canadian railhead is/was). Just not economically feasible.

Far easier and cheaper to use container ferries and planes.

Why? This is a connection between East Asia and North America at its heart. If you want to send people then planes are faster, it would take forever to go by train, even high speed rail and that would be prohibitively expensive. If you want to ship goods then ships are already better. Perishable and high value goods are going by planes in any case. It is a cool concept but I don't see any way where it would make sense other than as a prestige project.

The Bering Straits are only 120' deep on average; just keep dumping gravel and rock to build a causeway. Build a bridge or tunnel between the Diomede Islands for a shipping channel
Sounds like something that would attract quite a lot of environmental ire: damming up one of the world's largest straits and massively disrupting its currents. The idea was floated for just that reason during the 70s if I recall the correct years, to disrupt the currents and apparently warm up Siberia, but I doubt that that would fly nowadays and even if you do, the railroad is still an expensive addition.

Sounds like something that would attract quite a lot of environmental ire: damming up one of the world's largest straits and massively disrupting its currents. The idea was floated for just that reason during the 70s if I recall the correct years, to disrupt the currents and apparently warm up Siberia, but I doubt that that would fly nowadays and even if you do, the railroad is still an expensive addition.

Yeah, it would typically go in a Stalinist USSR Keeps Alaska timeline.

Last edited:

Go with a boat.
Why are techtonic plate fault lines a problem? the border between the North American plate and the Asian plate is well inside Asia. Build it far enough north and you don't have to worry about the North American/Pacific plate interaction?

We've discussed this before, from last thread my idea was to do it in stages

For the US
  1. Alcan Highway gets built as a public works project during depression
  2. Rail link is built during WWII and expanded West as part of a link to USSR, just in case
For USSR
  1. Stalin gets paranoid about the military implications of US highway, has the "Road of Bones" built in the 30's
  2. Stalin then uses WWII to extend railhead alongside Road of Bones with US help, and put a road to Bering Sea
  3. In the 50's, with ICBMs being costly and expensive, the Soviets decide to base IRBMs in Chukota to supplement their ICBMs, it doesn't happen, but they expand road and rail infrastructure to support it
Then when Detente rolls around there a Bering Sea rail link is proposed as a way of improving US-USSR relations. Someone lowballs the initial estimates, which don't look too exorbiant thanks to having the railheads much closer, and then when overruns start occurring nobody backs out for fear of losing face

Why? This is a connection between East Asia and North America at its heart. If you want to send people then planes are faster, it would take forever to go by train, even high speed rail and that would be prohibitively expensive. If you want to ship goods then ships are already better. Perishable and high value goods are going by planes in any case. It is a cool concept but I don't see any way where it would make sense other than as a prestige project.
Ships aren't always better...the reason for the rise of transcontinental double stack trains is the desire to offload as much as possible for rail transfer at the nearest economical port. Oddly, Los Angels is about as far as you can get, but US Pacific coast ports north of there seem to have been caught napping and are playing perennial catch up. Now, if that transshipment were completely eliminated? Some butterflies:

Canadian railroads are going to capture a huge amount of money from the traffic of US imports from China. Not only will they be carrying freight south from Alaska but the haul to eastern/midwestern US markets will be even more lucrative. My guess would be that Toronto will be the main point of entry for traffic to the NE US and eastern seaboard. Imports to Chicago and the states of the lower Ohio and lower Mississippi valley states will probably be either via Detroit (for Canadian National) or Minneapolis or Chicago (for Canadian Pacific). This takes away the tremendous container traffic that boosted western US rail revenues, while leaving eastern carriers unchanged for the most part. What does this do to the Santa Fe, which is the predominant LA-Chicago route for import containers? Where does this leave the port of Los Angeles/Long Beach?

Conversely, Chinese imports via Canada going to west coast destination (such as the huge metropolitan areas of San Francisco Bay area, and the Los Angeles sprawl) are going straight down the coast. Here's where that gets interesting:
-If interchange is going to be at Vancouver, BC, the Burlington Northern has connections but has to work with the Western Pacific and the Santa Fe to route traffic to SF/LA. Does this keep WP out of UP's grip? Does this help or hurt the idea of the SF+BN merger?
-The Union Pacific has interchange with the Canadian Pacific via the Spokane International Railroad. But UP's route to the south would be Eastport-Spokane-Hinkle-Ogden-Los Angeles. A long way 'round, with a lot of mountains. Does this push the UP into buying WP for backdoor access to northern California markets?
-The Southern Pacific would seem to have it made, with extensive trackage and terminals all over the Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay areas. No one is going to be better set to deliver and distribute the imports from the world's second largest economy for delivery and distribution to the world's sixth largest-by the trainload. Except...the SP goes no further north than Portland, OR. There is no way that BN will (voluntarily) give it trackage rights to reach Canadian interchange. That could be an interesting legal/regulatory fight.

Last edited:
Ships aren't always better...the reason for the rise of transcontinental double stack trains is the desire to offload as much as possible for rail transfer at the nearest economical port. Oddly, Los Angels is about as far as you can get, but US Pacific coast ports north of there seem to have been caught napping and are playing perennial catch up. Now, if that transshipment were completely eliminated? Some butterflies:
Shipping to say the US East Coast from China also requires going all the way around Panama and paying tolls for the canal. Going across the Pacific has no such problems - it goes direct across the Pacific and the railroad would be the one which would have major fares, not the Panama canal, given how expensive such an extremely long line in such extremely poor weather connections would be to maintain, much less build.
[/QUOTE]

Shipping to say the US East Coast from China also requires going all the way around Panama and paying tolls for the canal. Going across the Pacific has no such problems - it goes direct across the Pacific and the railroad would be the one which would have major fares, not the Panama canal, given how expensive such an extremely long line in such extremely poor weather connections would be to maintain, much less build.
It wouldn't just be about shipping. There's plenty of mineral wealth to be gained in the area which is now made cheaper to explore, produce, and ship if there's a railroad there. And probably some agriculture too even, since with the right breeds of cattle at more parts of the Yukon basin can be opened for ranching. The Soviet area seems much harsher so even though they have the native Yakut cattle I don't know how much can be opened to agriculture. Reindeer herding obviously for both areas, although that was more established on the Soviet side thanks to programs amongst indigenous peoples there (OTL promotion of reindeer herding amongst natives of the Seward Peninsula of Alaska is an interesting story and was less successful). Plus some oil/gas too. Simply by building the infrastructure to the Bering Strait means the area will have more economic activity.

Didn't the Russians at one point also wanted to include Chukotka in addition to Alaska during the Alaska Purchase as mentioned in an old thread?

Pulling back a bit, there's some interesting implications if Alaska proper is captured by the British in 1854 but the US goes ahead and buys Chukotka in place of Alaska.

In terms of modern proposals, this might be of interest.

Pulling back a bit, there's some interesting implications if Alaska proper is captured by the British in 1854 but the US goes ahead and buys Chukotka in place of Alaska.

In terms of modern proposals, this might be of interest.

Perhaps. Another would be a scenario where the US and USSR share a border with each other, though not sure how much larger the population of a US Chukotka would became or whether the US would have been prompted to build a Bering Strait connection.

It would have been fascinating to see see what role a Bering Strait connection would play in WW2.