Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday

Just stumbled upon this and boy this is shaping up to be brilliant! Nice to see you back on the motorsport side once again, keep this good work up!

An Apollo For American Motors
Construzione Automobili Intermeccanica, Oakland, California
April 20, 1964

The small factory which produced the 'Apollo' automobile was an interesting place, as most small-scale carrozzeria tended to be, despite being staffed by people who were genuinely good at their jobs - mechanics, welders, body men, interior makers - and the Apollo factory was no exception, particularly when one looked at the very pretty cars they produced. The convertible one being trimmed up in the dealership in particular would catch the eye of a dead man, and if one didn't know better one would assume it was a product of a fine coachbuilder in Italy or England....which is exactly what Apollo desired. But it was getting harder and harder for the company to stay in business....but the men walking into the factory on this bright Monday morning may have a solution to that problem. At least, that is what the company's founders were hoping.

Roy Abernethy, for his part, couldn't help but smile at the sight of the Apollo 5000GT sitting at the end of the factory, just about complete and ready to be delivered to its new owner. Anyone could make a car, he thought, but very few could make a business out of one, even if for a few machines. Apollo, however, had not only done that, the men who ran it were honestly chasing a dream, not chasing dollars. That, too, impressed the second-in-charge of American Motors, as AMC was always on the hunt on for new ideas and new designs, and having scored so massively with the Javelin two years before, AMC was cash-rich and looking to expand. And Apollo seemed an easy way of getting something Abernethy and his boss both wanted - a flagship car. The fact that the machines being made were so pretty was just a bonus.

Milt Brown and Ron Plescia were, for their part, nervous as hell. Both men were struggling to find financing for their firm, but becoming part of the growing American Motors firm was the answer to their prayers, provided of course they could make it happen. That was why on this Monday morning their plant was as spotless as it had ever been and all of their best men were there and working, and both men had bought tailored suits specifically for the arrival of the American Motors deputy chairman. The secretary was quick to notify Brown when Abernethy arrived.
"Mr. Abernethy is here to see you, Sir."
Milt Brown took a deep breath. "Thank you." He stood up and fixed his jacket and tie. Here we go, Milt, it's showtime....

Both men walked out to see Abernethy and two of his men looking approvingly at a 5000GT Roadster in the shop, and one of the body men was talking to Abernethy, who was amicably returning the favor. Abernethy had a bright look in his eyes, which Brown and Plescia both hoped was a good sign.
"Good Morning, Mr. Abernethy." Abernethy turned to the two men and smiled.
"Good Morning, gentlemen." He smiled. "Good to see you again, and see just how you gentlemen make these cars. The work of fine craftsmen."
"For cars made for discerning clients, it is the best possible way."
"Indeed it is." Abernethy shook both men's hands, then waved at the Roadster. "This one looks almost ready to go."
"Yes, it's owner is to pick it up on Thursday." Brown smiled. "You like it, Mr. Abernethy?" That drew a big smile.
"I do indeed." A smile. "It looks like something that came from Italy or England, but I'm guessing that is exactly the point."
"It is." Brown explained. "The bodies do come from Italy, the engines are Buick V8s and the transmissions are from New Process Gear, but the chassis is made in house. The cars handle well, and we use Bendix disc brakes on the car, ones I'm told are similar to those used on AMC products."
"It is a fine automobile." Abernethy admitted, then got down to business. "Now, shall we talk business, gentlemen?"
"Absolutely, Sir."

Fifteen minutes later, Brown, Plescia, Abernethy and his two lieutenants were sat in the office, where the real work of the day began.
"I trust you gentlemen have seen the proposal AMC's board of directors has approved of?"
"Yes Sir, we have."
"And?"
"It's very good in terms of finances." Brown admitted. "But myself and Plescia have one concern."
"What concern?"
"The proposal effectively makes us part of the AMC empire, but specifies no particular access to the company's engineering or design resources. We would like to be able, if possible, to be able to access AMC's engineering and design...." Brown stopped talking as Abernethy put up his hand.
"Gentlemen, please." He smiled. "Mr. Brown, Mr. Plescia, American Motors is in itself a company made up of many disparate pieces forged into a single whole. If your company becomes part of American Motors, access to all of our resources is a given. You will be able to access all of my company's engineers and designers, provided any specialties you can provide AMC are also available to us."
"Of course, Mr. Abernethy." Brown smiled. "If I may say Sir, myself and my engineers have already made the necessary design modifications to the Apollo to use American Motors V8 engines, and we are working on the use of AMC transmissions as well, for the next Apollos." Abernethy smiled broadly at that.
"Looking forward to becoming a part of the corporation?" Abernethy was surprised by what Brown said next.
"That's only proper, Mr. Abernethy. We can't have Chrysler gearboxes inside of an American Motors car, now can we?"
Abernethy laughed. "No, gentlemen, we can not." He grinned at the two others. "I'm also told you two want to retain engineering and design positions at the firm after they join AMC."
"Yes Sir." Brown gulped a bit. "After all, we did create...." Abernethy's knowing smile made him stop talking.
"You need not justify it to me, Mr. Brown." He paused. "I joined AMC from an executive position at another firm, too. You proposed to join us out of a desire to allow your company to be able to access our finances." He paused. "And we want to buy the company and use it to create a flagship for our company. We can't let the Corvette suck up all of the market for great American grand touring cars, now can we?"
That statement made both Brown and Plescia the most happy of all. "We most certainly can not, Mr. Abernethy."
Abernethy stuck out his hand. "Welcome to American Motors, gentlemen." Brown took his hand first.
"Most proud to be here, Mr. Chairman."

Feel free to use any of my track edits from The Man From Sao Paulo. (Especially my final versions of Hockenheim and Watkins Glen.)

I'm happy to make some more track edits that will anti-Tilke your TL, just ask and I will.

Thanks. :) I'm not really concerned about racetracks for a while yet, but I do plan on keeping a number of race tracks that don't exist in our world - Riverside, Bridgehampton, Continental Divide, Stardust, Pacific Raceways - open to the present day. The France family won't the Borg of OTL, either, and I am planning on car culture being rather different in this world than in OTL, with all that goes with it.

Last edited:
The Races To End All Races
"The 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans saw Ford finally gets its long-desired revenge against Ferrari, but it saw General Motors get its own form of revenge against the Shelby Cobras in the GT category and proved the Le Mans-spec Chaparral 2E was to be a bitter rival to the GT40s in the very-near future, and it also proved that Ferrari was by no means out of the game. By the time the Mark IV GT40s came the following year, the Chaparrals had turbocharged Buick power, Ferrari had a five-liver V12 in the 330 P4 and Porsche brought out the 917 with its own five-liter engine. It was a sign of what was to come, as the sports car world got faster in the late 1960s and into the 1970s. It got a lot faster."
-- Brock Yates, American Iron and Carbon, 2016

"When we won we really did expect Hank [nickname for Henry Ford II] and Lee [Iacocca] and Leo [Beebe] to say 'Great job, gentlemen, now its time to head home to chase the next challenge.' Instead, Hank shook everyone's hands, and when we were celebrating privately, he proudly said 'Here is that Le Mans being the first of many!' Carroll [Shelby] and John [Moody] were both quick to say 'Okay, does that mean we're coming back next year to kick Ferrari again?' to which Hank responded 'Bet your ass, gentlemen, we're coming back every single year until Enzo runs away back to Italy and starts wishing he'd never f--ked with us.' We couldn't believe it, but it was soon clear that Hank didn't just want to beat Ferrari, he wanted the Ford name synonymous with speed, with style, with winning races and destroying all who stood in their way. We all knew Enzo, the grouchy old bastard he was, wasn't gonna go quietly. We also knew Jim [Hall, the founder and owner of the Chaparral team] wasn't gonna go down without a fight. Many of the Europeans among us also knew Ferry Porsche wasn't gonna quietly, either. Hank didn't know it at the time - hell, none of us did - but he'd just started the racing war to end all wars. We had no idea what we were unleashing."
-- Bruce McLaren, from the movie Go Like Hell, 2010

"People have no idea how pissed he [Ken Miles] was when he'd found that Leo's [Beebe, Ford's Motorsports Director] little photo finish had screwed him out of winning Le Mans. Ken was an emotional sort, but those of us who knew him knew it was when he wasn't emotional that you had a big problem. He was too much of a racer to be mad at Bruce or Chris [McLaren and Amon, the winners of the 1966 Le Mans], but boy did he want to rip Leo's face off. He decided within minutes of that race finish that he'd be the winner the following year, and was hell-bent on making it happen. And if it wasn't for him, the Mark IV GT40 wouldn't be what it became."
- Carroll Shelby, The Carroll Shelby Story, 1975

"What John [Bishop, IMSA's founder] created was unlike anything that had ever been seen in sports car racing before. The SCCA was running everything up until that point, and they still saw it as a sport specifically for enthusiasts, but John and Big Bill [France, the NASCAR founder who backed Bishop's efforts when they began] both saw it differently. They saw it [IMSA] as the professionalization of the sport they loved, the chance to make so much bigger than what it was at the time. And when they saw Ford win Le Mans and then General Motors start throwing money to Jim Hall to give Ford a run for their money, and both Ferrari and Porsche take no prisoners in their fighting against the American racers, John saw what he felt IMSA could be and Big Bill agreed with him, especially after John convinced Bill to allow the sports cars to run a 24 Hour race at Daytona and when it turned into a runaway success, John saw his dream coming to life."
-- Denise McCluggage, American Racing: The Big Shows, 1985

"Ferrari went back to Maranello after the 1966 Le Mans with truly mixed emotions. He'd told everyone what Henry Ford II had said to him, and he was already looking for a partner by that point. If anything, what the 1966 Le Mans did was make Ferrari not just want to beat Ford on the racetrack but also do greater on the road car front, and give Ferruccio Lamborghini a good kicking at the same time. He knew he could never hope to match Ford's resources, but he felt extending his company's prowess in racing to the road would be a vast victory in its own right. That's where Agnelli came into the picture, and where Ferrari's road cars began to improve so dramatically. The Miura had no rivals when it was made, but Enzo wanted to make sure whatever the man he referred to as the 'bastard in Bologna' built, he'd do him one better. And we all saw where that ended up going. As for the race cars, Enzo always felt he could beat Ford. And there would be times when he did, and he always was proud when that happened. But for the rest of his life, Henry Ford II and Ferruccio Lamborghini were his nemesis, and they came to define his passion."
-- Peter Dron, Wars Fought in Sheetmetal, 2007

Lamborghini Begins Racing
Automobili Lamborghini Factory, Sant'Agata Bolognese, Italy
June 20, 1966

"It was indeed quite a great start, and you surely can see why I think the use of motorsport is a positive for the company and its image, and definitely Ferrari has surely taken notice." Bob Wallace commented to Ferruccio Lamborghini. "You defeated his GT cars at the race where the company made its reputation."
"But we didn't win the race, Signore Wallace." Lamborghini replied. "The American car won."
"The Corvette Grand Sport is hardly a car to be ashamed of losing to, especially considering the conditions at the race." Wallace smiled. "And unlike everyone else - Ferrari, Ford, Porsche, Chaparral, the Corvettes, the Cobras - both of our cars made it home to the finish. Our cars really are as reliable as they are fast, and that means winning isn't a matter of if it happens, it's when." Wallace felt quite confident on that one.
"I must commend you on the Miura Jota, Signore Wallace, but you know as well as I do that while they are good cars, they are expensive cars to run. Racing is expensive, as Enzo has learned, rather I suspect to his frustration after Le Mans."
Wallace smiled. He knew who was coming to see Ferruccio later that day, and he suspected that gentleman might have a thing or two to say about the costs of racing to Lamborghini and his company. "I must confess that that is indeed true, but did this effort not come as a result of men of wealth wanting to see what our cars could do? The Miura performed almost flawlessly at Le Mans, and the work of Signore Dallara and Signore Stanzani has been absolutely incredible. Have we not had many new customers calling about the racing cars now? Surely we could rely on them for the money needed to make our racing efforts a reality."

Lamborghini thought about that, knowing Wallace was indeed correct. Lamborghini had been approached many times in the previous year about competition for the Miura, and he also knew similar inquiries had been made for the 350GTV before that. He had allowed Wallace to take cars to Le Mans as a test to see what the Miura could do and rattle Ferrari's cage a little bit at the same time, and he was sure Wallace was right about Ferrari being unhappy with the Miuras finishing second and fourth, with two Corvette Grand Sports occupying first and third, after all the garbage he had said to Ferrucio four years earlier. A man who builds tractors could not possibly understand throughbreds, Lamborghini remembered Ferrari saying to him. My throughbreds just defeated yours in the biggest race in the world, Ferrari. What do you say about that?

When Ferrucio thought about it more, he felt a sense of pride in his cars that he hadn't quite felt before. Yes, we defeated Ferrari. We have a truly great car, greater than his current offerings, and Le Mans is an opportunity to prove it....but what if we could prove it again? What if....Signore Wallace is correct about men of means making our efforts possible....?

Wallace knew the smile that he could see forming on Ferruccio's face. Yes, my friend, it's possible, and it's time we proved it. Please, please, let me make it happen for you....

"If the men coming to see me truly want to take their Lamborghinis racing, Signore Wallace, how do you propose we maintain our support?"
"That is simple." Wallace handed over a handful of papers to Lamborghini. "That is my proposal, the creation of Lamborghini Squadra Corse and Lamborghini Corse Clienti." He paused, then explained. "The Squadra Corse is our in-house racing and development team, creating the race cars we sell. The Corse Clienti is our support system, a team of the best mechanics and access to a separate inventory of parts meant for the race cars. When a client buys a Lamborghini to race, he gets the support of the Corse Clienti to go with it, and a collection of parts to go with the racing car, everything he needs to race and win wherever he chooses to. Our mechanics will be at the service of the team owners to go support them, with the tools they need. The Squadra Corse will compete in the biggest races in the world, but for others, we merely support our customers as best as we possibly can." Wallace paused. "With this system, we can make it so that when a gentleman of means wants to go racing, he need not develop a car for the purpose, because we will have already done that for him. And as the Miura Jota works and works well, we start right here. We offer to our customers the best possible support."
"And this is different from Ferrari in what way?"
"Ferrari acts as a race team more than a maker of race cars, and their privateer offerings are always inferior to those of the factory team. We won't be doing that here. After all, we're in this to make Lamborghinis win, correct? Does it really matter which one does?"
Lamborghini agreed with him. "It does not." A pause. "But you know this is going to be expensive to set up."
"But we can get our clients to front us the money."
"Are you sure, Signore?"
"After how we did at Le Mans? I know there has been talk of us using the Miura and its engine as a way to jump all the way up to Grand Prix racing. I suspect you'll soon have clients asking about that, too." Wallace smiled. "I suspect as soon as this program has been set up, we'll have customers begging us to get involved."

Lamborghini nodded at that, remembering the gentleman visiting him later that day. "If you are right, Signore, would you be prepared to take on the responsibility of running this program yourself?"
"Signore Lamborghini, I would not have proposed it if I was unwilling to take on that duty."
Lamborghini grinned at that. So it shall be, Signore Wallace, let's see how your plan works. "Alright then, Signore, begin making it happen. And start making our road car clients aware of this as well, see if any of them are interested in racing programs."
"I will, Signore." Wallace paused. "And, I must say, this day is the beginning of a fulfillment of a dream for me. You have my truly heartfelt thanks for making it possible." That drew a wide smile.
"Now let's see how it works."

About five hours later, Ferruccio had just arrived back to his office from lunch, having made a point of avoiding alcohol of any sort. He knew drinking before the arrival of this client just wouldn't do. Knowing that, and knowing of the wealth and influence of this particular client, it was important that he put on his best show, and sure enough he had finished cleaning up when his secretary called for him.
"Signore, Mr. Eaton is here to see you."
Lamborghini nodded curtly and stood up from his desk, walking out to see his visitor.

John David Eaton and his son, George, were awaiting him, along with a family friend who spoke fluent Italian. They were the grandson and great-grandson of the founder of Canada's greatest retail chain, and Lamborghini had been told by his advisors that these men had immense connections not just in Canada but also around the world, and they were wanting to expand that family's business into luxury goods. Lamborghini didn't have a North American dealer network at the time, relying on local importers, but these two men were in a position to change that. Ferruccio knew it, and he also knew that the younger of the two was an aspiring racing car driver. Perhaps this man will be the first client of the racing department....
"Good morning, Signore Lamborghini." Both men had immense respect for Lamborghini, not just because of his cars but because of his many other business interests.
"Signore Eaton." Ferruccio shook the man's hand, followed by his son. They dress very well for New World visitors, Lamborghini judged. But then, these are as much aristocrats as could be found in the New World. "Welcome to Italy and welcome to Lamborghini."
"A pleasure to be here." John spoke kindly. "This is my son George. I believe you were told he would be with me on this trip."
"Indeed I was told." Lamborghini and Eaton shook hands. "A pleasure to meet you too, Sir." Lamborghini waved them into his office. "Please, gentlemen."

Both Eatons were surprised at Lamborghini's English fluency, and Lamborghini's office was very nicely appointed indeed, rich but tasteful. Lamborghini walked around the desk and waited until his visitors took a seat. George spoke first.
"Signore Lamborghini, before we do any business, please allow me to congratulate you on your company's first endeavour in the 24 Hours of Le Mans last weekend. Your company had a remarkably good first attempt at the race." Lamborghini kindly smiled at that.
"Thank You for the congratulations, but we were not victorious, I am not celebrating too much yet."
"Waiting to be victorious for the first time?" The older Eaton asked.
"Indeed, yes. I am proud of my cars and my team for being so competitive in our first attempt at the race, but I do believe it is much better to celebrate when we are victorious."
"That is most appropriate." John David Eaton could already sense Signore Lamborghini was a smart man and he knew that the man was a good businessman, and such men were always respected by Eaton. "You do understand why we have come here, I suspect."
"But of course, Signore Eaton." He paused. "You have a quite large new development in Toronto, I am told, and your company is arranging a number of Italian goods manufacturers to have shops in this development of yours."
"That is indeed true. I have already secured three commitments on this trip, but the development has a specific space for a dealership of fine cars." John smiled and nodded to his son. "My son purchased a 400GT, and it has been a remarkable automobile, and I believe your cars are perfect for the sort of image we wish to create in our development."
"Of course, Signore." He nodded to George. "I understand, young man, that you are something of a racer in Canada." George smiled.
"You are correct, Sir, I am. Mostly smaller cars, but the 400GT is a remarkable automobile, and I am looking to purchase a Miura at some point, perhaps even of the sort that raced at Le Mans."
"Oh? You were a spectator at the event?"
"We both were." The elder man commented. "Guests of one of the teams racing a GT40. Their race didn't quite go the way they had hoped, but I will admit I am finding myself more and more intrigued by the world my son is seeking to immerse himself in."
Lamborghini smiled at that. "On that front, Signore Eaton, I would like to make a proposal to you regarding both your son's ambitions and your proposed development."
Both Eatons blinked at that. "May we ask what you propose, Signore Lamborghini?"
"I am looking to set up a distribution network in North America. Up until now I have used various individual importers, and the quality of their sales efforts and support for the vehicles after they are sold has been varied. I would like to take the variance out of it if at all possible. I know moving from department stores to automobiles is a big change, and one your company may not wish to make. I understand this, and propose instead that I partner with you on the selling of Lamborghini products in North America, and you choose the partners you entrust with the individual sales. With partners chosen, you and I would over time replace the importers with our own dealers and maintenance facilities."

John David was somewhat surprised by this. He'd come explicitly to secure a Lamborghini dealership for his flagship establishment, and what Lamborghini was proposing was far more than that, in terms of both risk and potential reward. But the products of Lamborghini....
"I assume your plans include not just the automobiles but also agricultural equipment and climate control businesses?"
"Of course, Signore Eaton."
Interesting....the possible arrangement expanded the risk, but in Canada, a land of temperature extremes, the heating and air conditioning business could be a lucrative one and Eaton knew it. "And the choice of partners would be mine?"
"Ours, but as I would be needing your financial help on such an arrangement, the choice of partners would have to be agreed by both of us. If you don't approve, it doesn't happen."
"And the dealership in Toronto?"
"I also propose establishing one in Montreal, as I do not have an importer there." Now for the tricky part. Ferruccio nodded to the younger man. "And perhaps your son here is interesting in being our first client for racing Lamborghinis."
George was taken aback by that. "I'm sorry, Signore, I do not understand." Ferruccio explained.
"Who would be better to lead an effort to race Lamborghinis in North America than the proud son of one of your country's greatest dynasties? I have heard, young man, that you have big dreams, and that your father is wanting you to begin working your way into the family business." Lamborghini had a kind smile appear on his face. "All Italian fathers feel the greatest pride in seeing one's soon prove capable of following in their line. I am told Your father succeeded your grandfather, who had succeeded your great-grandfather. Perhaps this is where your fame begins."
George looked over at his father, who looked back at him with a kind smile and a nod. "I am quite honored you would think of me in such a manner, Signore Lamborghini." Ferruccio sat up straight.
"I am asking your father to help me set up a distribution network for my companies' products in the New World, and his son happens to be an enterprising race car driver. I see it as only natural that if you desire to advance your racing interests at a time when my company is beginning the development of Lamborghini racing cars, that you should have the opportunity to race a Lamborghini." He paused, and pointed out the windows towards the factory floor. "As recognition of your willingness to consider this, I will have one of the cars that raced at Le Mans refurbished for you, Signore Eaton, and if we do become partners, I will present your father with a Miura for his daily use and one of the Miura Jotas for use in competition by you, either as a driver or as a team owner if you desire."
"Thank You, Signore." George nodded to Ferruccio in respect. His father spoke next.
"Signore Lamborghini, I am sure you understand that my company must do its proper consideration of such an offer of partnership when it involves such outlays of funds."
"But of course, Signore Eaton. I was not expecting an answer immediately. But I do hope the offer will be considered."
"It will be considered, of course." Lamborghini smiled.
"If it is impossible to set up, please know that your generous offer of a flagship dealership in your development in Toronto will surely be accepted. But I do think we can do more together, Signore."

The 1966 Trans-Am Series
The 1966 Trans-Am Series

Having begun with the foundation of both IMSA and the Trans American Sedan Series at Sebring, the rest of the seven-race 1966 season proved just as competitive, in a great way.

After victory at Sebring for the Mustang of Ken Miles and Denis Hulme, the race at Road America in Wisconsin in July fell to the Camaro of Mark Donohue and Roger Penske, who came out only five seconds clear of the AMC Javelin of Gordon Johncock and Craig Fisher, them being just half a car-length ahead of the Miles/Hulme Mustang, them just twenty feet clear of the Javelin of Canadians Eppie Wietzes and Billy Foster, with the Alfa Romeo of Jochen Rindt and Kevin McAdams claiming the two-liter class. The race at Bryar Motorsports Park in New Hampshire was a second win for Miles and Hulme, this time beating the Ruby/Scott Firebird by four seconds and the Plymouth Barracuda of Sam Posey and Danny Ongais by seven, while the BMW 2002 of Hubert Hahne and Lucien Bianchi took the two-liter class after leading it from start to finish.

The Challenger of Bob Tullius and Tony Adamowicz became the series' third winner in four races at VIR, though yet again at the flag the front five cars were covered by just nine seconds, with the Donohue/Penske Camaro, the Mustangs of Art Pollard and Parnelli Jones and Miles and Hulme and the Javelin of Johncock and Fisher chasing the Challenger across the line, while Kwech and Andrey made it three wins in four races for Alfa Romeo, despite a close challenge from the Alan Moffat and Mike Spence's Lotus Cortina and the Hahne/Bianchi BMW.

The 12 Hour race at Marlboro Park Speedway in Maryland ended up being a test of endurance, and it was won by Dan Gurney and Roger McCluskey and their Challenger, which won by a lap over the Donohue and Penske and two laps over Miles and Hulme, while Moffat and Spence won the two-liter class in the Lotus Cortina, but they won it by twelve laps over the Alfa Romeo of Andrea de Adamich and Ryan Scott, the long race having removed most of the other two-liter cars from contention. Miles and Hulme won their third race and all but sowed up the championship after a wild drive from the back of the five-liter field at Mid-Ohio, while second fell to an inspired performance by Bruce Jennings and Mike Mosley in their Barracuda and third to Donohue and Penske, while Moffat and Spence won their second two-liter win in a row, this time from Kwech and Andrey.

Riverside saw both Donohue and Penske and Gurney and McCluskey do their damnedest to claw back the points gap Miles and Hulme had built up in previous rounds, with Gurney and McCluskey winning for the second time in the season and Donohue and Penske finishing second, but a seventh place for the pair was plenty for them and Shelby American to be the first Trans American Sedan Series Champions. Third place for Kwech and Andrey's Alfa Romeo secured them the two-liter championship, despite being beaten in the race by Frank Gardner and Pedro Rodriguez's Lotus Cortina and the Hahne/Bianchi BMW.

The first season was a very good one from the perspective of all involved, with large crowds enjoying the races, the top class averaging 27 entrants during each race and the smaller class averaging 17, with only Miles and Hulme winning three races in the first season. Suitably, the series grew to 12 races for 1967, and new teams and drivers were to join the series....

Is all this competition going to drive Ferrari out of business?

Of course not. If anything it'll be the opposite, Ferrari builds more road cars here because they are physically better machines and thus sell better, improving the company's finances.

Riain

Banned
Of course not. If anything it'll be the opposite, Ferrari builds more road cars here because they are physically better machines and thus sell better, improving the company's finances.

How many more road cars? Ferrari isn't great because they build lots of cars, they're great because they build few cars that are awesome.

Perhaps the analogue from OTL change from unlimited to a 5 litre displacement limit for GTs which have had 50 or 25 made could benefit Ferrari rather than Ford ITTL, just to give them a later Le Mans win to keep them racing sports-cars.

Will motorsports be as big as, say, American football or baseball ITTL?

That's the idea, though perhaps not as big as today's NFL. The biggest thing is that weekends at the racetrack is gonna be a national past time.

What about Can Am, is there any way it can be pushed out to Japan and Australia?

Next chapter. :) I'm not sure if Can-Am in Australia is possible, but it most certainly will be in Japan, and the Interserie in Europe is also gonna be part of the dealings as well.

How many more road cars? Ferrari isn't great because they build lots of cars, they're great because they build few cars that are awesome.

That isn't gonna change, but Ferrari's road car production was both very spotty and suffered from major production and quality issues all the way through the 1970s. I want to change that, to give Ferrari a better footing sooner. I want them racing in a lot of additional places, after all.

Perhaps the analogue from OTL change from unlimited to a 5 litre displacement limit for GTs which have had 50 or 25 made could benefit Ferrari rather than Ford ITTL, just to give them a later Le Mans win to keep them racing sports-cars.

I am planning to have Ferrari reclaim it's crown at Le Mans, and the prototype rules will be changed to have two prototype classes - a three-liter class for Matra and Alfa Romeo and a five-liter one for Ferrari, Ford, Porsche and Chaparral, as well as some others who I won't name yet. :) I want to go this way because both Ferrari and Porsche stretched themselves to the absolute limit to make the production 512s and 917s, and I want to try and avoid that if possible, as it sowed the seeds of trouble for both later on.

Ferrari Comes to Ford's Turf
Circuit Mont-Tremblant, Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, Canada
September 11, 1966

"Well, now we know how pissed old man Ferrari is that he lost at Le Mans." Roger Penske said with a sly smile to Mark Donohue, Bruce McLaren, Denis Hulme and Ken Miles as they looked at Ferrari mechanics scurrying around the two cars sitting at the front of the Can-Am series grid. "I'd say that sends a message."
"Yep, and all because Bruce here and I had the audacity to whup his ass in front of the world."
"You think this is a message sent to Henry Ford, or us?" Donohue smiled. "Because prancing horses or not, I'm still gonna drive the wheels off of the Lola, and I don't like losing either."

The race was the first round of the 1966 Can-Am series, a six-round fall series that, because of the nature of the cars involved, tended to draw many of the world's best. FIA Group 7 regulations pretty much allowed anything goes so long as the cars looked like sports cars, and it showed in the cara being open-roof prototypes all powered by big American V8s.

At least, most of them.

But at the front was a pair of cars entered by Scuderia Ferrari themselves. They were a pair of Ferrari 330 P3 Spiders, but their straight-line speed suggested that they had a little more under the hood - and so they did, outfitted with five-liter V12 engines. Ferrari's engineering varsity was here to work on them and Lorenzo Bandini and Pedro Rodriguez had the driving duties, and it was clear that Ferrari had come to the Can-Am wanting blood.

They weren't unwelcome. The Can-Am was a tough series, a tight schedule of big races contested by some of the fastest cars in the world. The teams competing against them and their drivers - Donohue, McLaren, Hulme, Miles and lots of others - Phil Hill, Jim Hall, Dan Gurney, John Surtees, Graham Hill, Chris Amon, Peter Revson, George Follmer - were many of the best on the planet, and their cars were well-sorted machines. No matter what they drove, Ferrari's best weren't gonna walk all over them.

They would have been surprised to know that that is exactly why Ferrari was there.

The talking drivers were not at all surprised when a handsome Hispanic gentleman in a white driving suit with the bright-yellow prancing horse of Ferrari came up to them to say hello, his accented but excellent English being very respectful.
"Good morning, gentlemen."
"Morning, Pedro." Donohue offered his hand, which Rodriguez shook. "Ready to come to Can-Am, are we?"
"Most definitely, Señor Donohue." Rodriguez used that term deliberately as a sign of respect. Donohue, who was well-known as a true gentleman among racers, deserved it. "I'm looking forward to today. I've never raced in Can-Am before, but I'm wishing I had. It's great fun."
"You've got quite the chariot for it." Penske commented.
"Indeed, yes. Signore Ferrari and his men have created quite a machine. It's quite fun to drive, that car. But I am not unaware of the fact that there is quite a collection of cars behind me that all want to win."
"Mr. Rodriguez, if you don't think we don't know why Ferrari is here, know that we aren't that dumb." Miles commented caustically, and the others thought that was uncalled for.
"Ken, come on." Bruce commented. "Does it really matter if Ferrari is here to make a point?"
"He's talking like it's just here to race and have fun. It's not and we know it."
"So what?" Donohue scoffed. "That's no different than you and the Ford guys going to Le Mans to dust Ferrari. It makes no difference to me." Roger nodded in support of his teammate, and it was clear that the Kiwis agreed with Donohue.
"Señor Miles, I have never really concerned myself with the politics of the fight between Ferrari and Ford. It's not something that matters to me all that much. I just want to race and win. The fact it's for Ferrari is just a bonus." He paused. "And if I may say, if myself or Lorenzo don't win today, I won't be hurt by it, because our competitors are good. We know it, and that's why Ferrari's best are here today."
"Make sure Lorenzo knows that." Miles commented. "Because he was a dick to me at Le Mans." Rodriguez chuckled at that.
"Yes, Signore Bandini is, shall we say, a little caustic at times? I wish he would be a little nicer to others at times too, but we're intense people, are we not?"
"Just so long as the intensity doesn't lead to people getting hurt, I don't personally care about that, myself." Roger grinned. "That's how we all put up with you, Ken."
"Arsehole."
Rodriguez smiled and offered his hand to Miles. "Good luck today, Señor Miles, and I will wish you luck in the race." His smile grew. "But I am still gonna aim to best your ass."
Miles took Rodriguez' hand. "Challenge accepted."

It wasn't an hour later that the field rumbled out of Mont-Tremblant's famed hairpin and stood on their gas pedals for the run to the green flag, two blood-red Ferraris leading the field of roaring Lola T70s, snow-white Chaparral 2Es and McLarens, their Ford and Chevrolet V8s shaking the ground beneath them. Bandini had the pole position, but he got away slowly, allowing his teammate the dark-blue Lola T70 piloted by Donohue to dart past him. It wasn't long before the Ferraris were scrapping amongst a field of open-roof cars with roaring V8s, the high-revving howl of the Ferrari V12s standing out clearly. They struggled to drown out the crowd of enthusiastic race fans, loving the spectacle of such machinery racing in front of them....

In the end, Donohue's Chevrolet-powered Lola T70 did indeed defeat the Ferraris, relegating Rodriguez to second and Bandini to third, the latter beating Phil Hill's Chaparral and John Surtees' Lola to the line by a bare few feet, the towering wing of the Chaparral tucked right under the Ferrari's tail as they crossed the line. Bandini was a little cold on the podium but Rodriguez wasn't, shaking hands with the gentlemanly Donohue and congratulating him on his win, while Jim Hall made a point of shaking Bandini's hand on his way back to the paddock, congratulating him for a great first race in Can-Am but promising him he'd beat him next week at Bridgehampton. Bandini did indeed crack a smile at that.

The 1966 Canadian-American Challenge Cup had begun, and Ferrari had gotten off to a good start at it, but the challenges of it weren't gonna get easier....

Nice to see you in another TL. Especially since it's about a topic related to a movie I saw last night.

Thank You, and Ford vs. Ferrari is a great movie. I'm really digging the fact that modern racing movies are becoming so much better than the crap of times past. *cough*Driven*cough*