Quezon's Manilaners: A New Jewish Homeland (TL)

Preface
Quezon's Manilaners
A New Jewish Homeland

jaVMhxm.jpg

Escolta St., Manila under U.S.-administered U.N. trusteeship, 1968

Preface
Hello! This is my first TL on this site. Before I signed up, I thought Alternate History Fandom Wiki was the main site so I started writing there. Then I realized the fandom wiki and alternatehistory.com are two separate things. As a result, a lot of my stuff is on the wiki (my fandom account name is the same as my forum name). The first two versions of this TL are also on the wiki, but I don't recommend reading them. They're very much WIP.

The movie "Quezon's Game" introduced me to the obscure WW2 history when the Philippines sheltered 1,300 persecuted Jews. The film is no Schindler's List but the story was no less emotional. It presented an interesting historical event that made me ask the question: "What if the Jews stayed in the Philippines?" The stability and freedoms Filipinos had in the 60s and 70s never recovered or prospered since the 80s, the twilight years of the Marcos dictatorship that ended in the EDSA People Power Revolution in 1986. That transformative decade saw the Philippines miss its final window of opportunity to transition from an import-substitution banana republic to a developed, sustainable democracy that could join the ranks of the Tiger Economies of Asia (Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, and Taiwan). Even if the Jews stayed longer than IOTL, the poor state of the economy and the weak democratic institutions would've pushed them back to the West, or nearby highly-developed countries like Australia and Japan if they prefer somewhere close. The Jewish refugees were born in Europe and held strong Western sensibilities. The only ones who would have stayed enjoy an upper class lifestyle made easy by the low cost of living.

That led me to my next question to create this TL: "What if the proposed state of Israel failed?" This would have serious implications for the Middle East ITTL.

This Far East-Pacific-centric TL won't have too much description beyond the stated geographical scope. It won't be a detailed TL either. I only intend to explore the main aspects of this WI scenario. So, if you expect to see intricate and complex situations, this TL might disappoint you. My knowledge of history is limited and I'm only fuelled by my curiosity to imagine how things would've turned out if this TL happened. For this reason, I'm open to corrections and ideas. I'll try to make changes fit in as we go. It might be a bit easier to do since I plan to write chapters in advance.

The TL will be written from the perspective of a Filipino ITTL narrating history in the TL's future, sometime in the early to mid 2010s.

Main readings used ITTL:
1. A History of Modern Palestine: One Land, Two Peoples (Ilan Pappé, 2004)
2. Asia's Cauldron: The South China Sea and the End of a Stable Pacific (Robert D. Kaplan, 2014)
3. Balfour’s Shadow: A Century of British Support for Zionism and Israel (David Cronin, 2017)
4. Filipino Nationalism, 1872-1970 (Teodoro A. Agoncillo, 1974)
5. Jewish Refugees and the Philippines, a timeline: nationalism, propaganda, war (Manuel L. Quezon III, 2019) ANCX. Link
6. Muslim Insurgency in Mindanao, Philippines (Alan R. Luga, 1981) U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.
7. Philippine Sanctuary: A Holocaust Odyssey (Bonnie M. Harris, 2020)
8. The Palestine–Israel Conflict, A Basic Introduction (Gregory Harms, 2005)
9. The Philippines: A Past Revisited (Renato Constantino, 1975)
10. The Rise of Israel: A History of a Revolutionary State (Jonathan Adelman, 2008)

Other sources to fill in the gaps will include free internet-based information (Britannica, Wikipedia, academic journals, news articles, etc.).

And now to answer the big WI...

What if the Philippines became the alternative Jewish homeland?

ujQeBzJ.png

Chapter 1: Attlee Kissed Me, Called Me "Mr. Prime Minister"

GMRtIcm.jpg

"What countless enemies tried to do for centuries, the British did in eight years and they were our ally."
—Ex-Cabinet Secretary David Ben-Gurion in Manila Bulletin interview, 1968

COMING SOON...
(P.S.: Updates will be slow)

Last edited:
ujQeBzJ.png

GMRtIcm.jpg

"What countless enemies tried to do for centuries, the British did in eight years and they were our ally."
—Ex-Cabinet Secretary David Ben-Gurion in Manila Bulletin interview, 1968

Manilaners (Jewish Filipinos) have a love-hate relationship with the West. They hate the United States for doing nothing in the destruction of Israel. But the American government did everything they could to set up the Ashkenazim (European Jewry) and Yishuv (Palestinian Jewry) migrants and exiles in the Philippines, their former colony in Southeast Asia. They had nowhere else to go. This helped offset a lot of the anti-American sentiment. Still, in the beginning, many of the relocated Jews in the Philippines felt this act of generosity was an excuse. Most of them preferred to settle in countries like the United States and Australia. More than a quarter of the 1.2 million Jews who were relocated to the Philippines left in the 40s-50s. The problem was that no country was willing to accept them en masse. The rejection of proposed Jewish homelands in 1930s Australia set a precedent among Western countries. Many of the locals feared their cities would be swamped by Jewish refugees.

Many things have changed in the Philippines since the arrival of the first Manilaners. The Manilaners still blame the United States for their historical misfortunes, but not nearly as much as they demonize Britain, their former ally. Or as David Ben-Gurion called them, the "Kingdom of Judas." An insult he used in private conversations when referring to the United Kingdom with foreign dignitaries, mostly with Africans, Arabs, and Indians. Just one of many controversies he was known for as Cabinet Secretary under the Osmeña, Recto, and Tañada cabinets.

The root of the current Jewish predicament started at a 1939 conference in London, mediated by the British government, between the Palestinian Arabs, represented by Jamal Husseini of the Arab Higher Committee (AHC), and the Yishuv, represented by Chaim Weizmann and Ben-Gurion of the Jewish Agency of Palestine. Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain hoped to appease both sides for the time being to restore peace in Palestine.

pblszAX.jpg

Chaim Weizmann (2nd from R) and David Ben-Gurion's (R) last photo together, 1949

Weizmann, like the rest of the Anglo-Jewish establishment, had been aggressively lobbying British leaders to support the proposed Jewish state in Palestine. He wrote to William Ormsby-Gore, the Colonial Secretary, appealing to his pro-Zionist sympathies and remarks on how re-establishing the Jewish state could allow intimate cooperation between Britain and the world Jewry. To Edward Wood, the Foreign Secretary, Chaizmann expressed strange confidence that peace would still come even if a Jewish state was established. He believed the Arab states, regardless of the outcome of the Palestine Question, understand their best interests were aligned with the United Kingdom.

The letters from Weizmann did little to endear the Foreign Office to the Zionist agenda. A note passed around in Foreign Office documents read "Dr. Weizmann is becoming apocalyptic." Their strong supporter, Ormsby-Gore, had resigned in protest of the government's support to partition Palestine. His successor, Malcolm MacDonald, dealt with the AHC. The AHC was responsible for the deadly 1936–1939 revolts, which started out as a non-violent general strike before the British police fired upon Palestinian protesters in Jaffa. Their demands include a moratorium on aliyahs (Jewish migration to Palestine), preventative restrictions on Jewish procurement of Palestinian land, and the establishment of a Palestinian state. Despite the anti-Jewish nature of these demands, Husseini pledged a future Palestinian state will still guarantee equal rights for the Yishuv. Jewish leaders obviously expressed their opposition in the strongest possible terms and urged the British authorities to reaffirm prior commitments made since the Balfour Declaration, a 1917 letter of the British government's support for a "national home for the Jewish people" in Palestine.

The London conference ended with no agreement between the two sides. It became clear to the British government neither side was willing to make serious concessions They were perfectly straightforward: Either state must rule all of Palestine or nothing at all. As the mandatory power governing Palestine, the United Kingdom held the ultimate authority to precipitate drastic changes in the territory, or risk another revolt, or worse, a civil war.

4w5pGCW.png

Jews protest in Jerusalem against the MacDonald White Paper

MacDonald led an unprecedented attempt for a middle ground on the Palestine Question. He introduced the White Paper of 1939, a compromise, approved by the U.K. Parliament (268 to 179 votes) on May 23, that required the reversal of all commitments made in support of a Jewish state in Palestine. It claimed the British government, in fact, never made any such commitment and supposed British support for a Jewish state was a misunderstanding. It insisted that what the British government actually promised was an independent state in Palestine where Jews and Arabs could live together under one government. This new state would be created within the next decade.

Despite its inconsistency with actual promises, the British government realized the stability of the Middle East was more important than the restoration of the Jewish homeland. For Britain to secure its colonial possessions in the region, especially the strategic Suez Canal, it was imperative to keep Arab allies in line. If there was going to be a state in Mandatory Palestine, it was going to be Palestinian. The majority Arab population comprised the future ruling classes of an independent Palestine.

In April 1939, Chamberlain asserted, "We were now compelled to consider the Palestine problem mainly from the point of view of its effects on the international situation. It was of immense importance [...] to have the Muslim world with us. If we must offend one side, let us offend the Jews rather than the Arabs." After all, it was inevitable for both sides to submit to the will of the British Empire, the world's most powerful nation. Britain did what it pleased with the territory known as "Palestine," as did the Ottomans before them, the Romans, the Babylonians, and every empire that once ruled it, or some part of it. At the end of the day, it was just another piece of colonial territory. No "Holy Land" attached to its name was going to stop "Pax Britannica." Peace will come to Palestine, and neither the Arabs nor Jews can do anything about it.

Weizmann stepped down as president of both the Jewish Agency and the World Zionist Organization. After years of working with the British establishment, he felt humiliated and promised the world Jewry would never forgive Britain for fooling them all this time. He regretably described the MacDonald White Paper as a "fundamental" change of policy and the Balfour Declaration "by implication disappears." The American Zionist Congress was outraged and described the Balfour Declaration as a "solemn pledge" repudiated by "bad faith, the most precious asset of British imperialism."

True to his word, Chamberlain asked parliament to pass laws heavily restricting aliyahs and Jewish ownership of Palestinian land. The reaction of the Palestinians, however, was not as the British authorities expected. Due to the brutal British quelling of the 1936-1939 Palestinian revolt, many Palestinian nationalists saw the United Kingdom as an oppressor, with its own selfish agenda not so different from the Jewish settlers. During the revolt, the British authorities armed Jewish paramilitary groups to assist them. Amin Husseini, Grand Mufti of Palestine and AHC leader in exile, rejected the pro-Arab MacDonald White Paper for not going far enough. With few allies in the AHC, the British turned to more moderate elements of Palestinian nationalism. The National Defense Party, led by former Mayor of Jerusalem Ragheb Nashashibi, was prepared to accept the MacDonald White Paper.

Both Husseini and Nashashibi belonged to two powerful political dynasties that split Palestinian nationalists into two factions: The Majlisiyyun (Councilists) and Mu’aridun (Opposition).

vwvtl5x.png

Amin Husseini (left) and Ragheb Nashashibi (right)

Majlisiyyun was larger as it appealed to the rural lower classes, which gave them the advantage of a grass-roots network formed by youth organizations, workers' societies, and hamulas (Palestinian clan system). But the real strength of the Majlisiyyun was the Grand Mufti himself, the spiritual leader of Palestinian Muslims. His influence had been both a detriment and a great benefit to the delicate Palestinian situation. While he organized the general strike that spiraled into the 1936-1939 Palestinian revolt, he also schemed to prevent other, more radical Palestinian nationalist groups from becoming too prominent and kept them at bay. The Husseinis organized Majlisiyyun's political front, the Arab Party, to rival the Nashashibis' National Defense Party.

Mu’aridun, through their political arm National Defense Party, represented urban Palestinian interests. Its representatives were tied with wealthy Palestinian families. The Nashashibis themselves belonged to the elite Palestinian merchant class. Unlike the Majlisiyyun, the Mu’aridun was non-ideological and more pragmatic at its core. During the revolt, they allowed the Majlisiyyun to recruit volunteers in Mu’aridun-controlled communities, on the condition it would not be misconstrued as Mu’aridun support for the Grand Mufti. The Mu’aridun was backed by King Abdullah of Jordan, who sought to curb the influence of the Grand Mufti in Palestine. Like his father, King Abdullah dreamed of a Near East federation named "Greater Syria," formed by the territories of Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, and Jordan.

Historians noticed that, while both factions were indeed powerful, neither side was popular enough to mobilize a vocal Arab majority. The influence of the Grand Mufti, Nashashibi, and other nationalist leaders was mostly nominal in Palestinian society. Unlike the better organized Zionists, coordinating leadership of the Jewish population from one public body (Jewish Agency), the intense clan rivalry among Palestinian nationalists created a maze of cronyism and nepotism and discouraged major supporters from galvanizing an increasingly politically-apathetic movement into serious action.

On the basis of the MacDonald White Paper, the U.K. Parliament passed the "State of Palestine Act" to give Mandatory Palestine a transitional government. Foreign Office diplomats brokered a power-sharing agreement between the Majlisiyyun and Mu’aridun. The act laid down a hybrid framework for the new Palestinian government. The Supreme Muslim Council, previously in charge of Muslim religious affairs in Palestine, became the upper house of the new Palestinian parliament, led by Husseini. The secular lower house, the Legislative Council, elected Nashashibi as Palestine's first prime minister. The Jewish Agency remained the governing body of the Yishuv. The only significant change was its subordination to the new government.

The Majlisiyyun and Mu’aridun, too busy wrestling over the future Palestinian state, gave British authorities much-needed breathing space to mediate the opposing factions. The act also provided the first Palestinian bill of rights. It secured equality for all citizens of Palestine, regardless of their religion or ethnicity. The remaining doubts among Arabs about British support of Palestine seemingly vanished overnight as street celebrations praising Britain erupted in Jerusalem, Nazareth, Jaffa, Haifa, and Gaza. Finally, a free Palestine had started to become a reality.

Divide and rule, the United Kingdom secured its vital outpost to protect the Suez Canal, its nearby colonies, and other British interests in the Middle East. Unfortunately, it cost Britain the goodwill of the world Jewry.

YrgdcGB.jpg

Palestinians celebrating the State of Palestine Act

Even though the United Kingdom would later join the world in disgust at the revelation of the Holocaust, most Jews would not be easily persuaded to accept the British did not play an indirect part in Nazi genocidal antisemitism The law restricting aliyahs doomed thousands of Ashkenazim trying to escape Nazi rule. The establishment of an Arab-majority Palestinian state, without guaranteed Jewish representation, was a grievous insult to injury. For Romanian Jewish writer Elie Wiesel in a 2012 OWN TV episode, aired on the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz,

"I belong to a generation that has often felt abandoned by God and betrayed by the British. The latter was the worse part of it because we all trusted in their support. Excepting Britain, my faith in God and humanity was tested but never truly lost."​

On August 26, 1939, two British police officers were killed by a bomb planted by the Irgun, a Jewish paramilitary organization. Ex-Haganah (Jewish Agency's military arm) soldiers formed Irgun in 1931 in disagreement with the Jewish Agency's strict defensive doctrine, which they saw as defeatist. The MacDonald White Paper had provoked the Yishuv militaries into an anti-British insurgency, on top of anti-Palestinian terrorism. Attacks against Arab civilians became part of the Jewish insurgency after Arab mobs raided Jewish neighborhoods in the 1936-1939 Palestinian revolt, killing dozens of Jewish civilians. On August 31, the British police started arresting members of the Irgun. The next day, Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union began their invasion of Poland.

The Irgun was determined to force the British out of Palestine. With the might of the British army bogged down in the defense of its continental European allies, their colonial territories in the Middle East were left vulnerable to both domestic and foreign threats.

bClmwX3.png

Map of the State of Palestine, 1939

After the 1936-1939 Palestinian revolt, the Jewish population emerged stronger. The Jewish Agency's attempt to ban the Haganah from initiating counterattacks against violent Arab mobs led to the creation of the controversial Irgun, known for their unprovoked attacks with preemptive force. Jewish security forces' close cooperation with the British police and military forces to control the Arab riots gave them valuable experience and inspired the early adherents of Zionist militarism. Jewish leaders realized the need for a formidable army against British rule and the Arab population. Ben-Gurion rejected the passive military policies of Jewish moderates, led by Weizmann, who, in favor of diplomacy over all else, did not see an immediate need of expanding military capabilities. Ben-Gurion's vision favored a more aggressive military build-up. In 1941, the Palmach was an elite force founded to defend Palestine from a possible German invasion. By the end of the year, its recruits amounted to 700.

The Palestinian government was alarmed by the Jewish security forces expansion. In 1943, the Palestinian parliament passed a law revoking the Jewish Agency's ability to arm and organize military forces. At this point, the Yishuv had abandoned all efforts to appease British authorities. Civil disobedience had spread around the Jewish quarters in Palestine. Disillusioned ex-Haganah and ex-Palmach members rallied around Avraham Stern, a former Irgun commander and founder of Lehi, a Zionist terrorist organization. He refused to obey Irgun's orders to disarm. The Jewish Agency demanded all Jewish paramilitary forces disband in a bid to seek common ground with the Palestinian government.

Stern originally wanted to lead an insurrection in 1940. Instead, he was convinced by his colleagues that patience and unity among the Jewish security forces were needed in order to defeat Anglo-Palestinian forces. The Palestinian government's crackdown on Yishuv militaries set off a 4-year underground Jewish movement seeking to usurp Anglo-Palestinian authority. On August 8, 1944, British High Commissioner of Palestine Harold MacMichael was assassinated in an ambush by Lehi operatives. Prime Minister Winston Churchill was reportedly "furious" and "revolted" when he said,

"If a bicultural Palestine is to end in the smoke of assassins’ pistols and produce a new set of gangsters, then so be it! The murder of the King's highest representative [in Palestine] shall not go unpunished. Heads will roll."​

It did not help the Jewish Agency downplayed an official investigation. British intelligence reported,

"Jewish [Agency] reaction to the death of the High Commissioner showed once more that though the official [Yishuv] bodies dislike this type of thing, they are not prepared...to co-operate actively with the authorities in the eradication of terrorism...As usual vehement condemnations were published in the [Jewish] press, but were coupled with attacks on the inefficiency of Palestinian authorities and in particular of the police."​

The Lehi assassination of Walter Guinness, British Middle East affairs minister, just two months after MacMichael's death, was the final straw for Churchill. He ordered the removal of Ben-Gurion, Weizmann, and various officials from the Jewish Agency and other Yishuv public bodies. At the same time, Stern took advantage of the confusion and launched an insurrection. The coup forces nicknamed "Stern's Army" took over Ramla, Rehovot, Jaffa, Tel Aviv, Hadera, Haifa, Akka, Beisan, Qiryat Shemona, and western parts of Jerusalem. Unsuspecting Anglo-Palestinian forces retreated to the peripheries of occupied cities. In Tel Aviv, Ben-Gurion and Yishuv leaders signed a unilateral declaration founding the independent state of Israel. It was a parliamentary republic. Ben-Gurion became prime minister and Weizmann took the ceremonial position of president.

Both the Jewish and Palestinian forces were evenly matched in ability. Like the Jewish security forces in the former Mandate, the Palestinian Army had undergone modernization and training under the British military. But Stern's Army lacked equipment, supplies, and a superpower as an ally. Furthermore, Palestine was surrounded by British and French colonies, territories of Allied powers. Attempts to secretly contact the Soviet Union for assistance were ignored owing to Joseph Stalin's unreserved priority to defeat Nazi Germany before his Western allies reached Berlin. As soon as the Allied powers secured the Mediterranean, France joined Britain in fighting the Israeli insurrectionists.

There were heavy casualties on both sides. Israel held a formidable defense and even made a number of conquests. Churchill, though a popular wartime president, was an unappealing peacetime leader in the 1945 U.K. general elections. The Conservative war hero lost to socialist Labour leader Clement Attlee, who promised an ambitious welfare program and an overhaul of the British economy. Attlee made no attempt to interrupt the British operations in the Palestinian Civil War but watched carefully as the Anglo-Jewish establishment, including his own party, condemned him for continuing the war in Palestine. In his memoirs, Attlee admitted he saw the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine as "irrational" and founded on "romantic fantasies of restoring a dead ancient society." Remove the lens of Jewish irredentism and it would be not so difficult to compare the situation between the Yishuv and the Palestinian Arabs with the Americans and the Indians, the Spanish and the Mayans, etc. The attempted settler colonization of Palestine by the Jewish people would have displaced hundreds of thousands of the indigenous Arab majority.

Eventually, the sheer logistics of enemy forces made an Israeli victory impossible. In the last months of Israel's existence, the war for independence turned into a war of attrition. On August 20, 1946, Israel agreed to sign an armistice. They agreed to the Palestinian government's demand for the population transfer of the Yishuv to a designated transit country. In exchange, Britain and France will help find and establish a new Jewish homeland, outside the Middle East. Due to the looming government bankruptcy left by the war, Attlee clarified the extent of British support and offered to work with the United States in providing economic and military assistance to the new Jewish state.

King Abdullah, known for his tolerance towards Jews, believed the Palestinian Civil War should neither become an obstacle nor a source of conflict between the Arabs and the Middle Eastern Jewry. Originally, he and his nephew King Ghazi of Iraq proposed in the Arab League to relocate the Yishuv to Iraq and Jordan, but Palestine and the majority of League members rejected the proposal for its "insensitivity to the common Muslim struggle."

MNS4DqU.jpg

Israeli flag lowered at re-captured British base, 1946

The armistice absolved Israeli civilian leaders of responsibility during the war, including Ben-Gurion and Weizmann. Israeli high command and officers were to be tried and executed under Palestinian law. Ben-Gurion begged Nashashibi for leniency and pleaded with Britain to intervene, to no avail. Weizmann made the difficult offer of a public renouncement of Jewish claims to the so-called land of Israel and recognizing the sovereignty of Palestine. Nashashibi accepted it. Weizmann, as the first and last President of Israel, led the renunciation speech in a recorded film with other signatories of the 1944 unilateral independence declaration. Ben-Gurion avoided participation due to a sudden heart condition. Most low-profile Israeli officers were released from jail, but they were permanently banned from re-entering Palestine. Irgun leader Menachem Begin, Palmach founder Yigal Alon, Haganah Chief of Staff Yitzhak Sadeh, and Avraham Stern were executed.

The defeat of Israel was a major blow to the world Jewry. Many Jewish citizens of the United States and the United Kingdom questioned their loyalty to their supposed home countries, both governments claiming to have been shocked by the horrors of the Holocaust. 6 million had been estimated to have perished in the systematic extermination of the Ashkenazim. The trauma-inducing scenes of gas chambers, burial pits, and crematorium ovens documented in Nazi concentration camps all over Europe made the British and French public feel shame and guilt for destroying the only homeland the Jewry had. The previously novel idea of an alternative Jewish homeland reached mainstream politics.

Shortly after President Franklin D. Roosevelt died in 1945, his vice president and successor, Harry S. Truman, signed a bill postponing Philippine independence indefinitely (originally set on July 6, 1946) to properly decide on the future of the island territory. Newly liberated from Japanese occupation, its war-torn state was not expected to rebuild anytime soon without immediate aid and assistance. In 1946, Truman reviewed a proposal the late president endorsed as a possible solution to kill two birds with one stone in the search for a new Jewish homeland and the postwar reconstruction of the Philippines. Paul V. McNutt, the last U.S. High Commissioner to the Philippines, recalled Truman's reaction as a "moment of mixed bewilderment and vexation" before the president grunted out, "You think this could get the Jews off my ass?" This caught the attention of prominent American Jews as all eyes looked away from the Middle East and to the Far East, at an exotic island chain as candidate territory for the new Jewish homeland.

In a 1968 Manila Bulletin interview, Ben-Gurion spoke out his personal recollections about the Palestinian Civil War for the first time. He retired as Cabinet Secretary serving from 1947 to 1963 and had since avoided the press. He personally believed Israel could have lasted four more years. But the war had taken a devastating toll on civilians. He claimed there was "starvation, [disease] outbreaks, suicides, betrayal, and extrajudicial killings," all thrown into a mix of various other problems, contributing to a gradual breakdown of morale and social order, which would have led to a more violent end of Israel.

Ben-Gurion briefly came back to Palestine in 1949 with Weizmann. They were invited to the grand reopening of the Daniel Sieff Research Institute, a research university founded by Weizmann in 1934. In the reopening ceremony, the institute renamed itself after its founder. Ben-Gurion, not sure if he imagined it or not, swore he saw the "eyes of death" behind the happy face Weizmann tried to put on for everyone's sake, something he had been doing since Israel's defeat, just like he used to do when he lobbied the British government. Weizmann, whether he liked it or not, was Israel's greatest diplomat. Ben-Gurion tried to recruit Weizmann into the reorganized Philippine bureaucracy as Administrative Undersecretary for Foreign Affairs. Weizmann declined and vowed he will "never believe anything in the world again." On the night after the reopening ceremony, Weizmann went missing. A joint search effort by Philippine and Palestinian law enforcement lasted six months. He was legally declared dead the following year. As Ben-Gurion put it at the end of the Manila Bulletin interview, "Like my beloved nation of Israel, we never saw each other again."

Last edited:
As a Filipino, watching this TL, especially with how I imagine many Jews to be settled in Mindanao to help considate Manila's control over the island, especially with Muslims seeking independence and all that.

As a Filipino, watching this TL, especially with how I imagine many Jews to be settled in Mindanao to help considate Manila's control over the island, especially with Muslims seeking independence and all that.
Gandang gabi! Perhaps, the TL could follow the original Mindanao Plan. Or, maybe, an even grander plan might take place. This depends on what Quezon and McNutt discussed and agreed about the postwar reconstruction of the Philippines. It's related to the bill I mentioned FDR signed. This will all be covered in the next chapter. We'll see when we get there.

Thnx for reading! Sana hindi ka madisappoint later on haha XD

Where can we get the funds to settle them, Problem otl is that the USA decides to not grant them the $8B reparations Japan should give them, aside from only giving them like iirc only $500M each from Japan and USA for reconstruction, aside from loans and stuff. Aside from theyre like one of the most destroyed countries like on the height like Poland, China, USSR like. Specially in the capitol Manila, which was flattened by American bombers. Seems that earlier independence is key, or USA chose Taiwan resulting into a huge bloodbath instead of the ez going campaign of Mac in the Philippines. Therefore not destroying the country

Interesting, tho'...

Escolta St., Manila under US-administered UN trusteeship, 1968
This strikes me as kinda messed up. If the Philippines is still in legal limbo with the US into the 1960s, I don't think Filipinos would take it well. I mean, dropping us like a hot potato immediately after the war was messed up too, but we were lobbying for independence by that point. I have the feeling the Soviets and the Maoists would have a field day with Philippine recruitment.

Iirc Filipino politicians don't like the idea of this. Like one of our founding fathers and maybe a others as they instead want to focus on their populace.

Aside from Quezon only doing this because he has Jewish business pals who suggested him to

Chapter 2: The Saranac Plan
UPDATE 1 (Chapter 1): Roosevelt dies before the bill I mentioned in that chapter was passed. Truman signed it instead.
UPDATE 2 (Chapter 1): "Israeli-Palestinian War" renamed "Palestinian Civil War."

ujQeBzJ.png

Chapter 2: The Saranac Plan

u397NCL.png

"independence [...] in 1938 or 1939. [...] But in the sphere of reality, it cannot stand the test."
—The Mindanao Herald, 1937

Claro M. Recto, the 2nd Prime Minister of the Philippines, said in a speech to the Manila Rotary Club on March 28, 1957,

"The Saranac Plan was supposed to be Quezon's legacy, not Ickes's. Quezon was keenly aware of the reality of our postwar situation. Yet, the Americans were never going to give us what we needed. Why should they spend billions of their American dollars on restructuring brown men's livelihoods? Japanese expansion used to be the pretext for such support. Now, what? The threat of communism? Big Brother America's love and affection for his adopted Filipino siblings? Neither. It is because of the Jews."​

The crowd laughed, mistakenly understanding this as a joke. Recto could not resist and joined the audience after realizing how absurd it was. Nahum Goldmann, President of the Jewish Association of the Philippines, accused Recto of harboring anti-semitic attitudes. His "joke," Goldmann claimed, dishonored the memory of Manuel L. Quezon, the 2nd Filipino president. The father of the republic is considered a hero by the Manilaners for saving the Jewish people after their near annihilation in Palestine. Recto apologized to the Manilaner community if his remarks at the Manila Rotary Club offended them, but he also told the Manilaner community that criticism must come in both ways. He took the opportunity to raise the issue of racial segregation in Manilaner establishments, communities, and activities, reminding them, "We [Filipinos], as fellow citizens, all deserve respect and dignity, and no skin color should put anybody above the rest."

Recto was known to spar with Manilaner critics during his tenure, bordering on actual anti-semitism. In reply to a Manilaner MP during question time, he conceded that while the Jews helped develop the Philippines, the Filipinos would have developed the country anyway by themselves "if Washington prioritized their Filipino allies over their abusive Jewish friends," claiming the Manilaners were committing almost exactly the same crimes the former Yishuv were accused of in Palestine, only smarter and more discrete.

"The Zionist has learned," Recto said in a coded remark to outgoing Cabinet Secretary David Ben-Gurion in 1963. Emilio Aguinaldo, the 1st Filipino president, made a similar claim earlier in 1957 in response to the growing number of Jewish rural constituencies where many Manilaners moved after the Dan Bell Land Act of 1950. He made a prediction the Jews would one day turn the Philippines into a "white country, where Malays, Chinese, and other Asians live in the same squalid subservience as Negros", and the Jews would get away with it. Instead of their "daylight robbery of Arab property," the Jews would occupy high positions in Filipino society and monopolize its ends, wants, and means. When the Mindanao Plan first became public, Aguinaldo was one of its vocal opponents, and he did not hold back with his "reservations." In his own words, "If cultured, highly-industrialized Germany could not stand the Jews, how can we expect primitive Mindanao to do so?"

Aguinaldo feared Jewish "abilities" and what they could do in the developing Filipino nation. Filipino trades could be sidelined or intimidated by the Jewish enterprise. He would rather let the native hacendieros, ruthless landlords of the countryside, continue their subjugation of the rural poor than let the productive kibbutzim (Jewish farming collectives) take up the majority of the local farming profession. Many Asian intellectuals at the time, particularly the Japanese, were misinformed about the Jewish people. This was partly due to the influence of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a 1903 Russian conspiracy detailing Jewish plans of world domination. The Japanese, instead of fearing the Jews, were impressed by the purported global influence the Jews held. For one Imperial Navy Captain Koreshige Inuzuka, it was a matter of possible advantage to Japanese foreign and colonial policies. Believing the Jews actually controlled the world's markets, Inuzuka advocated for Jewish settlers in Manchuria as a means to develop the territory with their cultural financial adeptness. Their presence would attract powerful, American Jewish investors and, through their influence, Japan's standing would improve in the United States and other Western countries. It is unsure whether Quezon and other Filipino advocates of Jewish resettlement held similar views, but the late president did express high hopes for the Jewish refugees in introducing local farmers to Western agricultural standards,

"With the knowledge of these refugees of modern agriculture gained from experience in various nations of Europe they shall prove of distinct help to Philippine farms because of the example they will set."​

The abuses of the Yishuv in Palestine were widely publicized in the 1950s. The Arab League, under the charismatic leadership of Egyptian president Gamal Abdel Nasser, spared no information in their aggressive propaganda campaign against the Zionist narrative. Both sides claimed victimhood, accused each other of terrorism, and insisted on justice and reparations. Public opinion in the Western world indicated they acknowledge the Holocaust as the worst genocide committed in modern human history. However, this did not give the former state of Israel and its exiles any excuse to commit the atrocities that led to the unnecessary Palestinian Civil War. Because the Yishuv was granted equal rights and autonomy in the State of Palestine, they had no reason to attempt a violent takeover of the Palestinian government. The two high-profile Lehi assassinations in 1944 pushed the anti-Zionist movement into relevance. Yishuv leadership lost much credibility, including major Zionist figures in the West.

FftDX9N.jpg

"[Jewish] refugees. [...] They have become a welcome and loyal part of the Filipino population.."
—Manuel L. Quezon, 1943

Surprisingly, the Palestinian Civil War did little to make Quezon fear the prospect of Jewish Filipinos. It is likely because he was not fully aware of the situation in Palestine. Quezon had personal connections with Jewish businessmen in the Philippines, notably the Frieder brothers (Alex, Phillip, Herbert, and Morris). They were American Jewish proprietors of a large, two-for-a-nickel cigar company based in Manila. The proposal for a Jewish refugee rescue first came to Quezon from Paul V. McNutt, the U.S. High Commissioner to the Philippines. Jacob Weiss, McNutt's political ally from his days as Governor of Indiana, had a brother, Julius, who worked at the Refugee Economic Corporation (REC), a Jewish relief agency in New York City. In 1937, Hitler's persecution of the Ashkenazim in Germany stepped up the "Aryanization" of German businesses, forcing out Jews from workplaces and replacing them with non-Jews. The ruling Nazi Party encouraged non-Jewish takeover of Jewish-owned businesses at cheap, state-fixed prices, unfair to the Jewish owners. Since 1933, 150,000 Jews had left Germany, many still looking for a safe haven. In February 1938, Julius approached Jacob for government assistance in REC's efforts to rescue Jewish refugees, who then discussed the matter with McNutt during his visit to Washington D.C. McNutt returned to Manila in March and proposed the rescue to Quezon, who declared his full support. This later evolved into the Mindanao Plan.

Before an alternative Jewish homeland, Quezon agreed to limited Jewish settlement in the Philippines under the Mindanao Plan, situated in two locations: the namesake island's Bukidnon province and the Polillo Islands off the coast of Luzon. Part of his intention in Mindanao was to assert control by settling Jewish migrants there, setting up a buffer between Christian migrants from the northern islands (Luzon, Visayas, etc.) and the Muslim Moro people, hostile to outsiders due to their Jihadistic traditions and ethnic separatism. For the American government, they saw the entire islands as a "buffer state" to avoid taking refugees to the mainland, thus the U.S. State Department's support of the Mindanao Plan. It was the State Department that presented the plan on February 13, 1939, to the Intergovernmental Committee on Refugees (ICGR), an international agency tasked with the resettlement of refugees. The Mindanao Plan was one of the few large-scale attempts to resettle Jewish refugees. If the Japanese did not invade the Philippines, there would have been 30,000 Jews living on the islands. American Jewish organizations praised Quezon for his efforts and expressed serious interest to help fund the plan. From Quezon's perspective, the Philippines benefitted from the plan as it improved the islands' international reputation in its transition to independence, with potential foreign investment from powerful establishments, such as the American Jewish elite.

During the war, Quezon had little time to consider the consequences of his actions. His worsening condition exacerbated by tuberculosis had confined him in a cure cottage at Saranac Lake, upstate New York. Without him at the helm, decisive plans for reconstruction might be shelved for impotent half-measures, most likely without the backing of the United States due to premature independence. The Philippines would miss real opportunities, not just to complete reconstruction, but to progress beyond its agriculture-based existence. In his dying days, the Philippine president worked with a team of experts assembled by McNutt and Harold L. Ickes, U.S. Secretary of the Interior, both sharing a growing opinion among U.S. policymakers to postpone Philippine independence. In anticipation of a brutal liberation campaign, the team drafted the Saranac Plan. It was a national reconstruction plan requiring American retention of the Far Eastern territory with greater autonomy similar to Britain's self-governing White Dominions (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa). This would give more time for a strong Filipino middle class to develop. They would become a reforming power in Philippine democracy and a significant source of skilled labor, thus, bringing economic diversification and further development to the Philippines. It was a radical shift from Quezon's prewar positions.

In the late 1930s, President Quezon made slogans and statements expressing his die-hard nationalism. One famous quote of his was, "I would rather have a government run like hell by Filipinos than run like heaven by Americans." In 1934, the Tydings-McDuffie Act was passed to prepare the Philippines for independence. Philippine Governor-General Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. called the move a mistake. He was of the same mind as President Herbert Hoover. The former president vetoed a bill on January 13, 1933, similar to Tydings-McDuffie. Included in the veto were his reasons. Mainly,

"Our responsibility to the Philippine people is that in finding a method by which we consummate their aspiration we do not project them into economic and social chaos, with the probability of breakdown in government, with its consequences in degeneration of a rising liberty which has been so carefully nurtured by the United States at the cost of thousands of American lives and hundreds of millions of money."​

In response, Quezon made a bold claim to State Department Assistant Secretary Francis B. Sayre that the Philippines was ready to be its own country earlier than 1946, the designated year of independence after a ten-year period of preparations under the Tydings-McDuffie Act. In private, he assured American officials that he and his colleagues did not want immediate independence. Filipino politicians found a useful vote-winner in the persona of a great patriot, the kind that worshipped the revolutionary martyrs, channeling in them dramatized, sacrificial zeal. To say anything in support of the status quo was political suicide, particularly in the face of elections. Philippine legislative elections were scheduled in 1938 and the presidential election in 1941.

aH9Lusg.jpg

Philippine Magazine 1937 issue cover

Abraham "A.V.H." Hartendorp, the Thomasite founder of the pro-American publication Philippine Magazine, interpreted Quezon's statement on an earlier independence date as a way to attract public attention, both domestic and foreign, especially the former. In doing so, Quezon warned Filipinos about the impracticality of immediate independence and the instability caused by an early American departure. A.V.H. commented on the public reaction in 1937,

"The immediate effect in Manila of the afternoon news dispatches to the effect that independence might be granted in 1938 or 1939 is a near panic in the stock market and there is some agitation to close the exchange."​

Apart from Quezon's like-minded colleagues, there were Filipino leaders in trade and commerce, who personally communicated their reservations on the Tydings-McDuffie Act with U.S. State Department officials. One minor party that represented local business interests, the Philippine Republican Party (Filipino affiliate of U.S. Republicans), published their official position on the Tydings-Mcduffie Act and called it,

"[...] unfair to the people of the United States and disastrous to the people of the Philippines, since behind the mask of idealism, its economic provisions, unless amended, will ruin the people of these Islands, destroy their industry, trade, and commerce, bring chaos to all classes."​

Instead of building capital-creating industries in the Philippines, the free trade established in the Tydings-McDuffie Act maintained dependence on the United States. The economic growth of the islands was mostly driven by American demand for Philippine cash crops. It was a terrible foundation for national development and, if left unchanged, meant certain instability in the long term. In March 1937, sugar industrialist Placido L. Mapa, Sr. gave a speech to a graduating class at the University of Manila (UM). He noted out of the total $270 million-dollar Philippine exports to the United States, 200 million dollars came from sugar, tobacco, abaca, and coconut products. American tariffs could paralyze the entire archipelago's economy. Loss of access to the American market could destroy it. Mapa, Sr. made a grim forecast if complete separation from the United States occurred,

"If facts are interpreted in their effect upon the economy of our nation, we would find that more than one-half of our laboring population would lose their means of livelihood, government revenues would fall at least 50 percent, public schools would be closed, sanitation would necessarily have to be neglected and the whole life of the nation would be set back many years."​

6WixJ54.jpg

"The disadvantages of independence were beginning to be generally understood."
—U.S. High Commission report on Placido L. Mapa, Sr.'s UM speech, 1937

The Democratic Party of the Philippines (local affiliate of U.S. Democrats) echoed similar sentiments and called for fairer, reciprocal economic amendments to the act. On March 14, 1938, McNutt spoke to the National Press Club about a "realistic re-examination" of the relationship between the United States and its autonomous territory in the Far East. In his opinion, the retention and subsequent stability of the Philippines were essential to defend American interests in Asia. To ensure its interests, the Tydings-McDuffie Act must be amended to also benefit the Filipinos and the islands must become a permanent American dominion. On March 16, the New York Times published the article "Quezon Abandons Independence War Cry, Agrees to McNutt's Suggestion That Philippine Question Should Be Re-examined" with Quezon's own words in the opening paragraph, expressing his reconsideration of immediate independence. Mapa, Sr., and concerned Filipino businessmen united with American counterparts to organize a "re-examination movement" in support of McNutt's proposals. For the most part, their American counterparts believed in the U.S. brand of imperialism. Their participation in empire-building was a way to contain other empires and dominate the Pacific Ocean under Manifest Destiny. The retention of the Philippine territory was to deter Japanese expansion. They were called "retentionists."

After the 1938 legislative elections, Quezon claimed his comments on McNutt's proposals were misunderstood by the American press. He blamed news reporters for misleading the public, calling out some of them for being outright liars. Quezon was known to flip-flop on a number of issues. It got to the point that even President Franklin D. Roosevelt admitted he could not predict the Philippine president's actions. For decisions on Philippine policy, Roosevelt had to depend on advisors working on the ground like McNutt.

Filipino nationalist theatrics made it difficult for the American government to amend the Tydings-McDuffie Act. Filipino retentionists needed to speak up. Otherwise, U.S. Congress could not see the urgency of amending the act before the ten-year period was up. In 1943, the Philippine Free Press published a detailed report on a meeting between Roosevelt's advisors and Quezon at Shoreham Hotel, Washington D.C. The article claimed Quezon snapped at Henry L. Stimson, former Governor-General of the Philippines. Stimson expressed his concerns about an immediate independence's adverse effects on the Filipino people. Quezon told him, "When the question is about the effect of independence on the Filipinos, I am the man qualified to know that. More than any American or Filipino, I know the desires of my people." Between McNutt's proposal (1938) and the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor (1941), the movement for re-examination did not gain momentum. In the U.S. Congress, retentionist American legislators tried to argue the Philippines had strategic resources. Isolationists such as U.S. Congressman Thomas D. O'Malley countered their argument by saying the continued retention of the Philippine islands presented "greater dangers of war for the United States." In the National Assembly of the Philippines, the retentionists were shamed. A nationalist resolution was passed calling the retentionist assemblymen "enemies of liberty."

On August 14, 1941, the Atlantic Charter was a press release turned joint manifesto made by President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill. It stated their "hopes for a better future for the world" on common ideals, such as "the right of all peoples to choose the form of government under which they will live." It was awkward for Churchill as the chief minister presiding over the largest empire in the world. He had to clarify the declaration was referring to Axis-occupied Europe, not the peoples living in colonial territories. For the rest of the world, the message was already out, and no measure of clarification would convince them otherwise. In a radio broadcast, Quezon described the charter as a "charter of freedom for the peoples of Asia and all the Far East."

VoCJ1Ap.jpg

Franklin D. Roosevelt (L) & Manuel Quezon (R), Washington D.C., 1942

Later on November 15, Roosevelt made a public address in commemoration of the anniversary of the Philippine Commonwealth's establishment. Six hundred representatives of the United Nations were personally in attendance. It was broadcast on major American radio networks and on the global shortwave. He used the event to share his vision of the future. He cited the Philippines under American rule as "a pattern for the future of other small nations and peoples." The Filipinos, he said, were promised independence because they underwent a "period of training." It was an attempt to placate their British partners and to show they did not advocate immediate independence for all colonies. The Philippines was to be a model of decolonization. Secretary of State Cordell Hull touted the unique character of America's civilizing mission as more humane than other European colonial powers. He called it “a perfect example of how a nation should treat a colony or dependency.”

The November 15 address was supposed to end all talks on any reversal of the scheduled Philippine independence under Tydings-McDuffie. McNutt himself was ready to concede. The Japanese occupiers in the Philippines wanted to present themselves as liberators and granted the islands' people their long-awaited independence. Even though it was not genuine independence, it was the creation of the second Philippine republic after the first one was destroyed by the Americans in 1901. The Second Republic, among other puppet states set up by the Japanese invaders in occupied European colonies, gave the colonized peoples of Asia a giant leap closer to their aspirations of freedom. Anything less than postwar independence for the Philippines would make the United States a hypocrite. McNutt said, "We cannot afford to disappoint the hopes of a billion [Asian] people.”

In 1944, Quezon changed his mind about the upcoming Philippine independence, for the last time. It materialized in the Saranac Plan. He reasoned to his cabinet-in-exile that independence was inevitable. The people of the Philippines would live to see that day, but Quezon will not. For a limited time period, the Philippines must remain under American rule. Understanding it would be unacceptable for Filipinos after the war, Quezon suggested to McNutt and Ickes to create a new political status that would "neither imply a colonial state nor an independent one."

Roosevelt knew a retentionist bill was never going to pass the U.S. Congress. He warned Quezon of the uphill battle none of them could live to see the results, both politically and physically. Roosevelt and Quezon worked hard to hide their declining health from their constituents. Unfazed, Quezon pushed Roosevelt to make a daring attempt. After consulting with Democrat congressional leaders, it became clear there was simply no way to spin the bill to shore up a narrow majority. Only one suggestion seemed viable, though very unconventional. If proposals to redetermine Philippine political status cannot pass the U.S. Congress, the only other way, with greater chance and legitimacy, was through the highest representative body of the world's sovereign states—The United Nations. On April 30, 1945, an amendment to the Tydings-McDuffie Act was passed to defer the question of Philippine nationhood to the U.N. General Assembly to "guarantee its complete independence." It replaced the ten-year transition clause, effectively postponing Philippine independence. In a statement, Secretary of State Edward Stettinius Jr. declared the U.S. government's intention to "elevate [Philippine] postwar reconstruction to an international effort," part of the American "humane" decolonization model. He believed the United States, as a former colony itself, should not be seen as a benevolent ex-colonial master, but as an equal partner to the Philippines in its future national development. By deferring the decision to the General Assembly, the United States would be given the opportunity to work with other independent countries to prepare a colonized nation for statehood, guided by U.N. collective ideals of a freer, fairer, and more just society. "A superior approach," Stettinius said to the Philippine Free Press, "to so-called self-governing colonies still tied to the imperial whims of European aristocrats."

In reality, retentionists only wanted to buy more time till they gain enough support or to wait until retention becomes instrumental to American foreign policy. Deferment did give retentionists the route of U.N. trusteeship for the Philippines. The L.O.N. mandate system, replaced by the U.N. trusteeship system in 1946, recognized the nominal independence of the trust territories. Until it was deemed self-reliant, a trust territory would be controlled by one or a combination of U.N.-member administering countries.

Quezon died in 1944. Roosevelt followed him in 1945, 17 days before the Tydings-McDuffie Act was amended. The governments they left behind were puzzled as to how to proceed. The new Philippine president Sergio Osmeña was anxious about the Filipino public's reception of the Saranac Plan. The general mood of the cabinet-in-exile was "dejection." They feared their government's loss of legitimacy when news reached the Philippines about the amended Tydings-McDuffie Act. Not only would it boost pro-Japanese propaganda, but it might also provoke civil unrest after the liberation. In Truman's cabinet, the U.S. president described it as a "torrent of cold water." The Saranac Plan would only make sense if the Philippines was crucial to the U.S. Asian strategy, or at least if the islands were a European-majority state. Nothing it had to offer justified significant American investment. On top of that, the liberation campaign of the Philippines was going to cost more potential billions of dollars worth of war damage claims. The Japanese forces, wherever they were, aggressively defended their positions to the death, committing relentless suicide attacks with extreme prejudice. Reckless destruction followed everywhere they fell back.

Opv7Sdt.jpg

Battle of Manila, 1945

The Battle of Manila in 1945, while it ended in Filipino-American victory, cost 250,000 dead within a month. 100,000 of those were civilians. A total of more than 1 million Filipinos died in the Philippines throughout the war. The devastation seen in the capital city was comparable to the most bombed cities of Europe. According to Dwight D. Eisenhower, "Of all the wartime capitals, only Warsaw suffered more damage than Manila." U.S. Senator Millard Tydings, a principal author of the Tydings-McDuffie Act, claimed that 10-15% of Filipino buildings were destroyed. Essential services such as transportation, communication, and healthcare ceased most operations. The finance industry was virtually non-existent. Agriculture, the Philippines' major economic sector, was at a standstill and whatever was left of the small industrial base the Philippines had was either buried in the rubble or looted by the Japanese occupiers. Ports could not take in critical imports due to impaired logistics. Only unemployment and corruption prospered during the war. Osmeña released an estimate of $1.2 billion in war damage claims. In January 1946, McNutt made a report to Truman on the situation of the liberated Philippines. He described it as "critical,"

"[...] it does not at this moment seem possible for the Filipino people, ravaged and demoralized by the cruelest and most destructive of wars, politically split between loyalists and enemy collaborators, with several well-armed dissident groups still at large, to cope with the coincidence of political independence and the tremendous economic demands of rehabilitation."​

Concerned about the threat of destabilization in the Philippines, Truman directed General Douglas MacArthur to not grant civilian authority to any Filipino Commonwealth official, including Osmeña. The military rule of the islands must continue until total control over the population was established. In August 1945, MacArthur was chosen to oversee the occupation of Japan as Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers (SCAP). He moved to Tokyo and left Manila to General Dwight E. Beach, governor of the provisional United States Military Government of the Philippine Islands (USMGP).

The defeat of Israel in 1946 brought dramatic changes to the Middle East as well as the Philippines. The dismantlement of the Jewish state entailed the expulsion of the Yishuv. Palestinian authorities had enough of dealing with their would-be colonizers and the majority of Arab League members stand behind Palestine on Jewish expulsion. Overnight, the Jewish people once again lost their homeland. The extent of Jewish outrage and despair all over the world was indescribable. For the most part, they felt the world had abandoned them. The general populations of Western countries, because millions of their soldiers freed the Ashkenazim from German concentration camps, joined the global Jewry in expressing their discontent with Western governments for their failure to protect the only Jewish state in the world. Now, more than ever, they call on their governments to take every available option to support the displaced 630,000 members of the Yishuv.

The apprehension of Western countries in receiving Jewish refugees was less about anti-semitism and more about other racial biases. They feared if a refugee crisis took place in Africa or Asia, the new precedent would urge them to accept non-European refugees in large numbers. The United States realized it had the answer to end the debate prematurely. Thanks to American diplomatic maneuvering, it stalled an earlier U.N. decision on the Philippines. The United States offered the islands for temporary Jewish relocation under American supervision, as a U.N. trusteeship. It was integrated into the Saranac Plan, rewritten by Ickes based on a similar proposal he wrote in 1940 called the Slattery Report. It recommended reserving idle land for Jewish resettlement in Alaska to save the fleeing Ashkenazim from Nazi persecution, as well as to stimulate local development.

boXUPXC.jpg

Harold L. Ickes congratulates new Filipino president Sergio Osmeña, 1944

Ickes's version of the Saranac Plan additionally granted the host country greater access to foreign aid. Although aid distribution would prioritize meeting the needs of the resettled refugees, the returns of a large Jewish community in the Philippines were expected to compensate in the long run. On July 7, 1937, the Peel Commission published a recommendation to partition Palestine. The report included a socio-economic assessment revealing that Jews contribute more to government revenue than Arabs, which gave both sides access to public services under the Mandate. A separate Arab state would lose a rich source of revenue. As a result, Peel proposals included Jewish subvention for the new Arab state. The relocated Yishuv would accelerate the growth of the Philippines. The new Saranac Plan cited the Peel Commission's economic findings to reinforce this belief.

McNutt promoted the new plan and fondly called the Philippines a future "Little America." He claimed the Filipino people, as American colonial subjects for 48 years, learned the revolutionary ideals of civic nationalism, the foundation of a society united by liberal values transcending class and cultural divisions. To that effect, he reworded a quote from French-American writer John Hector St. John, "Here, in the Philippines, refugees of all nations are to be melted into one nation of civilized men, whose labors and posterity will one day cause great changes in Asia." Truman told him, in a telegrammed response, "Roosevelt's nonsensical gamble paid off."

Israel's defeat caused a stir in the American Jewish establishment. Zionists demanded the designation of a transit country immediately, fearful of violent Arab reprisals against the Yishuv as long as they were still in Palestine. When the U.S. government offered the Philippines, Jewish lobbyists wasted no time or resources to push the White House to commit. Truman was a Democrat. Many of their donors were Jewish. In 1946, the American Jewry perceived Israel's defeat as a direct cause of the United States' non-involvement. Jewish Democrats defected to support Republican candidates in that year's congressional elections. Truman felt like a hostage, and to free himself as quickly as possible, the U.S. State Department and the Jewish lobby joined forces pressuring U.N. member states to vote in favor of the trusteeship.

It was not an unusual solution for countries to place troubled minorities in distant, underdeveloped territories. The British government once offered lands in British East Africa (Uganda) for Jewish settlement, but it was received unfavorably by the Sixth Zionist Congress. In 1939, Britain had another plan to resettle Jewish refugees in British Guiana. Liberia, the most relatable example of what Ickes offered, was conveniently left out in Saranac Plan discussions. Even today, little is mentioned about this West African country. It started out as a private venture in 1822 by the supposed humanitarian American Colonization Society (ACS) to find a suitable place in Africa where African Americans freely could prosper in peace without the discrimination they found in the West. It garnered little interest among Americans. African American leaders opposed ACS. They considered themselves American and demanded the protections and opportunities African-Americans rightfully deserve. As a result, the ACS could barely scrape the funds needed to develop Liberia into a sustainable territory in the early 19th Century until the ACS ceased funding altogether. In the following century, Liberia heavily depended on foreign support, often from the United States, in developing industry and infrastructure. By the 1940s, Liberia's relative economic and political stability was reliant on the Americo-Liberian elite, the ruling minority of the country. Americo-Liberians were descendants of African American settlers that often clashed with native Liberians, whom the Americo-Liberians considered uncivilized.

On September 23, 1947, the Saranac-Ickes Plan was adopted by the U.N. General Assembly, with 47 in favor, 5 abstentions (China, Ethiopia, Greece, Thailand, and Turkey), and 4 against (Cuba, India, The Philippines, and Yugoslavia). Yugoslavia seemed uninterested in its alignment with the Soviet Bloc who voted in favor of the resolution. Soviet policy in Asia had yet to take shape, with General Secretary Joseph Stalin's attention firmly on liberated Europe. Initially, he shared the same position as the Americans in supporting a joint communist-nationalist government in China. Stalin promised Churchill he would respect Korea's unity. The U.S. government did not see an immediate source of threat in Asia and decided it was safe to disarm Japan permanently. The initial opposition, led by India, was made up of Argentina, Chile, Cuba, Colombia, El Salvador, Honduras, and Mexico. They believe the Filipino people should vote, not the foreign representatives of the United Nations. During the vote, only Cuba and India voted against the resolution. The former opposition caved under intense lobbying. Arab countries wanted the Jewish Question over and done with. Other U.N. member states that voted in favor were just not impacted by the changes in the Philippines, a small and insignificant group of islands in Southeast Asia. It was mostly seen as an American outpost rather than a jewel in its trinket colonial empire.

sAV7dNb.jpg

Carlos P. Romulo announces his resignation from U.N. General Assembly, 1947

In an act of defiance, the Philippine representative Carlos P. Romulo resigned on the assembly floor,

Should the United Nations enforce this grave insult, then I can no longer be part of this shameless assembly. This policy will destroy Filipino nationalist aspirations—Our identity as a sovereign people. I may not return, here, as a representative of an independent Philippines. But rest assured, a million Filipino voices will follow and fulfill the promise of independence themselves. Until then, I shall join them and work against you.​

Last edited:
Where can we get the funds to settle them, Problem otl is that the USA decides to not grant them the $8B reparations Japan should give them, aside from only giving them like iirc only $500M each from Japan and USA for reconstruction, aside from loans and stuff. Aside from theyre like one of the most destroyed countries like on the height like Poland, China, USSR like. Specially in the capitol Manila, which was flattened by American bombers. Seems that earlier independence is key, or USA chose Taiwan resulting into a huge bloodbath instead of the ez going campaign of Mac in the Philippines. Therefore not destroying the country

1). As I've written in Chapter 2, a lot of funding would come because of America's intention to resettle a lot of Jewish refugees in the Philippines.

2). Earlier independence is a good idea, but it would require me to redo the TL. The plan ITTL is for Jewish settlement to take place after the war. Although, earlier PH independence could make an interesting TL.

3. The $8 billion reparations from Japan is an interesting case. It didn't go forward because Quirino was apprehensive about it. I guess he wanted to have good relations with Japan. Succeeding governments did try to pursue the matter later on. But by that time, because the Americans aren't involved and all the treaties have already been signed, the reparation-claims boat had long set sail it was considered a settled issue.

Interesting, tho'...

This strikes me as kinda messed up. If the Philippines is still in legal limbo with the US into the 1960s, I don't think Filipinos would take it well. I mean, dropping us like a hot potato immediately after the war was messed up too, but we were lobbying for independence by that point. I have the feeling the Soviets and the Maoists would have a field day with Philippine recruitment.

1). A UN trusteeship isn't meant to be permanent. ITTL's case (check Chapter 2), the Philippines will have its inevitable independence. The definite independence date will be revealed at some point in the TL.

2). Yes, Filipinos would not react positively to this development. Its drastic effects will be written soon.

3). ITTL, Filipino lobbyists were simply outgunned against the Jewish lobbyists.

4). I already have ideas of what the Russians and the Chinese could do. But I'm an open book since nothing is set in stone. It's just sprawled on my private outline.

Iirc Filipino politicians don't like the idea of this. Like one of our founding fathers and maybe a others as they instead want to focus on their populace.

Aside from Quezon only doing this because he has Jewish business pals who suggested him to

1). Ofc. Any country wouldn't be too happy about decisions affecting their way of life without prior consent or opinion. Filipino reactions will be laid out in the next chapter or so.

2). There is more to the story of Quezon helping Jewish refugees. You could check out "Philippine Sanctuary: A Holocaust Odyssey" by Bonnie M. Harris. Or this historical timeline on ANCX by Manuel Quezon III, grandson of President Quezon.

Last edited:
3. The $8 billion reparations from Japan is an interesting case. It didn't go forward because Quirino was apprehensive about it. I guess he wanted to have good relations with Japan. Succeeding governments did try to pursue the matter later on. But by that time, because the Americans aren't involved and all the treaties have already been signed, the reparation-claims boat had long set sail it was considered a settled issue.
Almost all of Quirino's fam got killed in ww2 directly or indirectly as they escape Manila during the war. His wife and children by a Japanese soldiers. Only one remained and that was his daugther. Its mainly due to US pressure that's why they did not pursue for it

Almost all of Quirino's fam got killed in ww2 directly or indirectly as they escape Manila during the war. His wife and children by a Japanese soldiers. Only one remained and that was his daugther. Its mainly due to US pressure that's why they did not pursue for it
Perhaps, ITTL, with the resettlement of Jews, on top of the devastation in the Philippines, war damage claims would be pursued more aggressively to access more funds. I'll see to it in the next chapter or so. Probably not in the next chapter because it will focus more on the Filipino reaction to the UN's decision. The chapter covering reparations would most likely be written with the Saranac Plan in action. We're not too far from that chapter.

I can see someone losing reelection, they probably would also have a fiasco on the Chinese refugees like otl, I;m not sure if that sbecause of the communist victory or because china was so wartorn

What about the European refugees from the war-torn continent?

How could OTL PR of China react to the Philippines being home to resettled Jews?
1). Large-scale Ashkenazim migration would start to pick up in the latter part of the 1940s. Before that, answering your second question...

2). Like what @Metempsychosis said. The USMGP will have to deal with the first wave of a potentially long and more violent insurgency. The early development of Chinese and Russian involvement will be included with the ATL Filipino reaction in the next chapter. Though I imagine involvement wouldn't be too far-reaching until the East and West started to carve their blocs in Asia. Either when the Chinese Civil War resumes or the Korean War begins.

Last edited:
1). Large-scale Ashkenazim migration would start to pick up in the latter part of the 1940s. Before that, answering your second question...

2). Like what @Metempsychosis said. The USMGP will have to deal with the first wave of a potentially long and more violent insurgency. The early development of Chinese and Russian involvement will be included with the ATL Filipino reaction in the next chapter. Though I imagine involvement wouldn't be too far-reaching until the East and West started to carve their blocs in Asia. Either when the Chinese Civil War resumes or the Korean War begins.
And how about the Indonesians incl. Soekarno and Viet Congs?

And how about the Indonesians incl. Soekarno and Viet Congs?
1.) Indonesia will have its hands full with the Dutch until 1949. But I'm aware of the Pan-Malay sentiments at the time. I'll probably explore that.

2). For the Viet Cong, I'm still looking for more OTL info on the relationships between regional communist movements.

It seemed that the Philippines, or at least a part of Luzon, will fail in getting independence. Is that the premise of this timeline?