Question about the original Soviet flag.

wormyguy

Banned
The first flag of the R.S.F.S.R featured the (Cyrillic) letters R.S.F.S.R in the top left corner, in the shape of a cross:

flag-1918.jpg

Now, this seems a little odd to me - wouldn't religious symbolism be at odds with Communist ideology? The 1918 constitution, which defined this flag, only separated church and state - it didn't establish official state atheism yet - but it still seems a little out-of-place and off-putting. What was the rationale for the design?

The first flag of the R.S.F.S.R featured the (Cyrillic) letters R.S.F.S.R in the top left corner, in the shape of a cross:

Now, this seems a little odd to me - wouldn't religious symbolism be at odds with Communist ideology? The 1918 constitution, which defined this flag, only separated church and state - it didn't establish official state atheism yet - but it still seems a little out-of-place and off-putting. What was the rationale for the design?

First of all, there was never "official state atheism" in the RSFSR or USSR, only the separation of church and state. In fact, the only state in the history of the world that has ever been "officially" atheist was the Albanian People's Republic.

Second, the configuration varied, including the letters lined up. In others, the whole name of the Republic was written out. And some early designs did not have RSFSR in Cyrillic at all, but rather in "ancient Slavic," and contained in a gold rectangle.

Third, cross-like symbolism predates Christianity. In some cases they represented the union of the four elements. In other cases, the four cardinal directions (this being the most likely use seen on the flag of the RSFSR).

Hapsburg

Banned
Now, this seems a little odd to me - wouldn't religious symbolism be at odds with Communist ideology?
Not necessarily. It is Russia, after all. They had to appeal to the masses with the easiest thing an illiterate society would identify with: symbolism.

The 1918 constitution, which defined this flag, only separated church and state - it didn't establish official state atheism yet.
Not quite. The USSR never established "state atheism". The only country to ever really do that was Albania under Enver Hoxha. The USSR simply separated church and state, and depending on the leader, persecuted clergy. And even that was inconsistent.