Question about the massive loss of equipment The British Army took at Dunkirk. . .

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by Art, Jul 11, 2018 at 12:57 AM.

Tags:
  1. subway dreaming Active Member

But did the trucks have BVs? How would you make your cuppa without a BV?

2. fastmongrel Well-Known Member

You also need to teach the Infantry that Tanks are nasty even when they are your own tanks. Tanks have a nasty habit of jerking forward, reversing or spinning on their tracks at zero notice and plenty of inexperienced Infantry got squished by their own tanks.

RodentRevolution likes this.
  3. fastmongrel Well-Known Member

For all its faults (If you have an hour spare I can list them) the Covenanter was a pretty good training tank. It was dirt cheap to make, It was available I mean no one was going to suddenly load them all up and send them off to the Desert or Burma, it was fairly simple to operate but complex enough for it to be a valuable training tool and the crews could fix most problems with a hammer and some adjustable wrenches. It was also surprisingly reliable the Meadows engine needed a good amount of nursing but apart from that there wasnt a lot to go wrong.

As a battle implement it was crap but as a training tool it was fine.

Derwit, Ian_W and RodentRevolution like this.
  4. Cryhavoc101 Well-Known Member

Its a post war British thing - less a 'Britishness' thing that a practical addition of 1 per Tank and 2 per APC/AFV - in that it was found that a large number of British Tank crew losses in WW2 were due to the crew dismounting to make a brew or cook and being 'caught out' by direct or indirect fire.

Finbarr the Fair likes this.
  5. subway dreaming Active Member

I was teasing, but I also thought for some reason that it was introduced earlier.

6. marathag Well-Known Member

Then building more of these would have been better
    [​IMG]
    even cheaper and more reliable, plus the tooling already exists.

After 'real' tanks are available in number, do what the Germans did, repurpose and make half tracks
    from the running gear
    [​IMG]

jsb likes this.