You could always have 'Lady Mary Tudor' be married off in either Scandinavia or Russia, somewhere that sends her far away and where people won't be interested in pushing her theoretical claims on the English throne.

Wouldn't that be just dandy if Mary Tudor the Younger and François wind up falling in love...from what I know, it seems they could've actually made a happy match. Whether Henry would be willing to acknowledge the legitimacy of his eldest daughter, well, that remains to be seen.

So is Henry FitzRoy being made de facto hereditary governor of Ireland, whilst still being subject to Henry, or is Henry getting rid of Ireland to minimise headaches for himself?

Or both?

You could always have 'Lady Mary Tudor' be married off in either Scandinavia or Russia, somewhere that sends her far away and where people won't be interested in pushing her theoretical claims on the English throne.
Hmm...Gustav Vasa's first wife died in 1535 IOTL. He chose his second wife from the Swedish nobility to shore up support there so IDK if he would be willing to wed the bastard daughter of a foreign king. As for Russia, it would take some major changes for that to happen. Maybe an Italian prince, since FitzRoy is now married to a Medici?

Bahahaha! This is going to be fun. Pass the popcorn.

Also - Yay for Catherine de Medici as Queen of Ireland... and I never thought of Mary Boleyn and Charles Brandon together, but I love it! :)

It would be infinitely interesting to see Lady Mary escape England into Dauphin François' embrace, and even more if he survives long enough to become King of France.

And of course there's an added bonus, the irony of her maybe finding happiness (or relative peace of mind) at French court.

I'm definitely rooting for this match!

It would be infinitely interesting to see Lady Mary escape England into Dauphin François' embrace, and even more if he survives long enough to become King of France.

And of course there's an added bonus, the irony of her maybe finding happiness (or relative peace of mind) at French court.

I'm definitely rooting for this match!
This is impossible. Mary can not marry so high

Bahahaha! This is going to be fun. Pass the popcorn.

Also - Yay for Catherine de Medici as Queen of Ireland... and I never thought of Mary Boleyn and Charles Brandon together, but I love it! :)
Catherine in Ireland is great and Mary and Charles is an interesting couple...

Last edited:
So, Henry VIII decided to ‘fix’ the situation. He informed Charles Brandon that he would be marrying Queen Anne’s sister the widow Mary Carey. [1] Neither party was particularly happy with the decision. But what could they do?
Henry the "Mastermind" strikes again
Early in October of 1533, Charles Brandon and Mary Boleyn would marry. They didn’t have the happiest marriage: she would retire to Suffolk’s estates and rarely venture to court, he would stay in court with a string of mistresses. But on the flip side, their children were extremely attractive.”
The Tudors: A Real-Life Soup Opera by Diana Marks
Yeah for pretty babes.
1] The fact that Charles Brandon had married both the King’s sister Mary and the King’s sister-in-law Mary was one of those little ironies that only Henry enjoyed.
Not only Henry, I too.
Henry VIII would arrange the marriage of his bastard son to Catherine de Medici. As part of the marriage agreement, Henry VIII made Henry FitzRoy King of Ireland.
Hmm, should I feel more sorry for the Irish one for Fitzroy?
So, he sent Prince Francis, Duke of Brittany to England. Purportedly just for a visit, but really to try and woo the Lady Mary. This caused everyone a lot of stress later.”
*making huge amounts of Popcorn *

It would be infinitely interesting to see Lady Mary escape England into Dauphin François' embrace, and even more if he survives long enough to become King of France. ...
Or you could have François III, Duke of Brittany, Dauphin of France, still die young and François I then comes up with the idea that Mary Tudor should marry his younger son Henri (II), Duke of Orléans and Brittany, Dauphin of France, which, remembering the fate of her mother, Mary might be very much disinclined to do.
That might depend on the dowry. If Henry VIII would be willing to give her Calais on top of restoring her legitimacy, it might be worth it from the French POV. And to keep it, François I might be adament that Mary Tudor be betrothed to his younger son after François III, Duke of Brittany kicks the bucket.

Or you could have François III, Duke of Brittany, Dauphin of France, still die young and François I then comes up with the idea that Mary Tudor should marry his younger son Henri (II), Duke of Orléans and Brittany, Dauphin of France, which, remembering the fate of her mother, Mary might be very much disinclined to do.

That might depend on the dowry. If Henry VIII would be willing to give her Calais on top of restoring her legitimacy, it might be worth it from the French POV. And to keep it, François I might be adament that Mary Tudor be betrothed to his younger son after François III, Duke of Brittany kicks the bucket.
But for what reason Henry would do it? For him surely this match will not be worth the cost, plus he need to be careful to where he will marry Mary, specially if he has NO intention, as is likely, to restore her legitimacy...

This is alternate history, so the term "impossible" must be applied carefully. I agree that the match it would be indeed unlikely but that doesn't make straight away an impossibility.

I mean, come on, this whole TL is pretty much centered around Anne Boleyn birthing quadruplets (three of whom are boys) and surviving the labor along with her four children.

And anyways, it will all depend on what @Cate13 has planned for this TL.

Last edited:
This is alternate history, so the term "impossible" must be applied carefully. I agree that the match it would be indeed unlikely but that doesn't make straight away an impossibility.

But again, this whole TL is pretty much centered around Anne Boleyn birthing quadruplets (three of whom are boys) and surviving the labor along with her four children.

And anyways, it will all depend on what @Cate13 has planned for this TL.
That is true but while he is secure, I doubt Henry will take the great risk of marrying Mary in France and no way who a Mary NOT fully restored as legitimate daughter of Henry and princess of England will marry the heir of France

So is Henry FitzRoy being made de facto hereditary governor of Ireland, whilst still being subject to Henry, or is Henry getting rid of Ireland to minimise headaches for himself?

Or both?
Just how subject Ireland is to England varies depending on Henry's mood. Luckily FitzRoy is even keeled enough to handle it and the next generation settles things officially.

Yay for Catherine de Medici as Queen of Ireland
Catherine in Ireland is great
Ireland won't know what hit them :)

I never thought of Mary Boleyn and Charles Brandon together, but I love it! :)
Mary and Charles is an interesting couple
It just sort of happened when I realized that if I wanted Henry Brandon to marry Katherine Henry VIII needed to get involved. And the irony appealed to me.

Last edited: