poor girl, she is destroyed and pretending to be fine, just to not give a faction the advantage..well..at least you can slowly rebuild a relationship this way

Henry's much nicer to people who do what he wants.

Good update

Thank you!

Poor Mary...hopefully when the time comes she’ll get a nice husband, some children, and a quiet life away from court.

I'll see what I can do :)

Oh God. I should not have read this in my current state of mind. This chapter just about broke my heart. I am genuinely crying. Poor Katherine...and poor Mary. She can't even grieve for her own mother. Excellently done, Cate, excellently done!

Wow, thank you!

Nice chapter there. Feel sorry for Mary.

Hopefully Henry might now start being more of a father.

He is much better with people who do what he wants, so the two of them have a decent shot.

I'm glad you are excited. It's been a bit delayed due to internet problems, beginning and ending of a semester, and getting my head around working remotely.

Oh, I can completely sympathise, have had to switch track from my Hohenzollerns TL to have some fun with Doctor Who as my job has got pretty crazy lately.

I'm glad you are excited. It's been a bit delayed due to internet problems, beginning and ending of a semester, and getting my head around working remotely.

As long as you're all right. I think anyone going unusually quiet at the moment just sets red flags waving, whether they mean to or not :)

As long as you're all right. I think anyone going unusually quiet at the moment just sets red flags waving, whether they mean to or not :)

I completely understand. I'm a little crazy trying to figure out textbooks since students can't physically go into the bookstore, but other than that I'm just always busy this time of year.

Chapter 7 - In which stepmothers and stepdaughters are discussed
“The Lady Mary would be welcomed back to Court shortly after the christening of the Tudor Infants. With much fanfare and spectacle Henry VIII received her and presented her to the Court as his “beloved eldest daughter.” She would be installed as one of Queen Anne’s ladies-in-waiting in addition to several gifts and favors not granted to the other ladies-in-wating.

Additionally, Frances Brandon would be invited to Court so that Lady Mary would have a close friend. This delayed Frances’s marriage which caused a great deal of stress later.

While all records indicate that Lady Mary treated Queen Anne with all due respect according to her position it does not appear that any great affection grew between the two.”
The Tudor Rose Garden by Gerald Wells​

“As I have been humbled by the Almighty God is behooveth me to continue on the course He sent. As such I must be diligent in my duties to the Queene. I find daily my pride rebels agaist serving a lady who ancestry pales in comparison to mine, but in this I remonstrate myself for was not King David of the Bible descended from Ruth a Moabite? But her actions were such that she was deemed worthy of a King from her posterities. I must strive to see what qualifies this woman such that God has seen to make her Queene and mother of a King.

If nothing else I observe her dedication to mine siblings, the Royal Infants. Even as preparations are made for their transport to Hatfield, she ensures that nurses are hired, that there will always be a doctor order, even a skilled musision has been hired so that the babes may be sung to sleep.”
Journal of Lady Mary Tudor, Saturday September 13, 1533​

“A lot of people assert that Queen Anne and Lady Mary would do their best to avoid each other, and never really made peace between them. And while there are no overt indicators there are a couple clues that the two may have grown comfortable with each other if not close. Starting as quickly as early 1533 Queen Anne would often charge Lady Mary with organizing various dances and masques. Then during her second pregnancy when she was bedridden, Queen Anne would trust Lady Mary with visiting her firstborns, taking letters to be read to them and bringing back word.

Then, in the latter end of Queen Anne’s journal there are several references to “dear Mary” that many attribute to her sister. But due to Mary Boleyn’s second marriage, she was rarely in contact with Queen Anne. In all probability, “dear Mary” would be the Lady Mary, her stepdaughter.”
The Tudors: A Real-Life Soup Opera by Diana Marks​

Last edited:
Even more children would make Henry a very happy king indeed. That's a sure sign of divine approval.

Also, it's nice to see that Mary and Anne have (more or less) made up. Here's hoping that Mary has a happy life.

Hmm...I definitely think a marriage to Henry Howard should be in the cards for Mary. Unsure if that will make her life easier, but I'm certain that a kid or two would make her happy.

So, I’ve got three different things bouncing around in my head and I’d like to hear what people think.

1) Henry FtizRoy’s wife. I want a foreign bride, so Mary Howard is out. I’m currently thinking of either Catherine de Medici or Margaret of Parma. If you have another option I’d love to hear that too.

2) Mary Tudor’s husband. I want a domestic match who’s loyal to Henry and Anne. Unfortunately I can only think of George Boleyn and Charles Brandon and I’m not really happy with either.

3) OTL Henry considered making Henry FitzRoy King of Ireland. I was going to go with that before I realized Henry’s got another ‘bastard’ child he could make Monarch of Ireland. So of the two, Henry and Mary, who isn’t Henry VIII making monarch of Ireland?

I’d love to hear what everyone thinks and why :)

@FalconHonour @vandevere @Nivek @isabella @curlyhairedhippie @kaiidth @VVD0D95
I'd personally go with Mary as Queen of Ireland, but instead of her getting married, she dies unwed and leaves the throne to FitzRoy's children, but if she did marry, why not look for an minor unimportant nobleman who is loyal but won't quarell with her? (since if she married either Boleyn of Brandon she probably would've been miserable). Also, why would Henry give Ireland to one of his bastards, woudln't it make more sense to give the throne to one of his younger sons by Anne?
There'll some regency for Henry's successor won't it? (since five thousand days is around 13 years and a half of queenship for Anne)

I'd personally go with Mary as Queen of Ireland, but instead of her getting married, she dies unwed and leaves the throne to FitzRoy's children, but if she did marry, why not look for an minor unimportant nobleman who is loyal but won't quarell with her? (since if she married either Boleyn of Brandon she probably would've been miserable). Also, why would Henry give Ireland to one of his bastards, woudln't it make more sense to give the throne to one of his younger sons by Anne?

I'm leaning towards Henry giving FitzRoy Ireland. I've played around with a couple different things but that's where it keeps landing. Mostly because I think Henry wants to hand off Ireland now, but Mary would require a husband (in his mind) and the younger sons have a ways to grow up. My thought process is Henry wants the prestige of conquering Ireland without having to deal with ruling it. And the best way to do that is to pass if off to FitzRoy so it's his problem now.

There'll some regency for Henry's successor won't it? (since five thousand days is around 13 years and a half of queenship for Anne)

Yep, good catch. I keep switching back and forth between the new King pushing for ruling on his own and getting it because he's a Tudor another just like that sometimes and having a regent. The potential regent is a toss up between Henry Howard, Charles Brandon, or a regency council with Anne on it.

I'm leaning towards Henry giving FitzRoy Ireland. I've played around with a couple different things but that's where it keeps landing. Mostly because I think Henry wants to hand off Ireland now, but Mary would require a husband (in his mind) and the younger sons have a ways to grow up. My thought process is Henry wants the prestige of conquering Ireland without having to deal with ruling it. And the best way to do that is to pass if off to FitzRoy so it's his problem now.
Poor poor Fitzroy, such a troubled life for him.
Sounds absolutely like Henry Tudors thoughts and ideas though. He would totally do all this.

Yep, good catch. I keep switching back and forth between the new King pushing for ruling on his own and getting it because he's a Tudor another just like that sometimes and having a regent. The potential regent is a toss up between Henry Howard, Charles Brandon, or a regency council with Anne on it.
Hmm......
Such a close coming event then......oh well, the King is dead, long live the King (and his mother the Regent)

Hey everyone! I'm hitting a bit of a wall and am looking for some thoughts. On the religious issue, at this point Henry hasn't Head of the Church of England, and with the miracle babies, I'm seeing the Pope approvingly the annulment and marriage.

But, I can't see Henry not taking some concessions. So, I'm planning on having England stay Catholic but with some sort of extra allowances. But I'm having trouble thinking what privileges Henry is going to try and wrest from the Pope. I could see some sort of grant to clean out corrupt abbeys and the like, but other than that I'm stuck.

Thoughts?

@FalconHonour @vandevere @kaiidth @isabella @curlyhairedhippie

Hmm, Henry actually liked and needed the money that he had gotten from the abolishing and raiding of the abbeys and other Catholic related stuff.

So, if he would get the Pope on his side again and said Pope would also be desperate for Henry to not truly start his own Version of Henrician Catholicism, then the Pope and the lower Churchmen should find a way to fill Henry's treasury with a different way than what the King did in OTL.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I'm hitting a bit of a wall and am looking for some thoughts. On the religious issue, at this point Henry hasn't Head of the Church of England, and with the miracle babies, I'm seeing the Pope approvingly the annulment and marriage.

But, I can't see Henry not taking some concessions. So, I'm planning on having England stay Catholic but with some sort of extra allowances. But I'm having trouble thinking what privileges Henry is going to try and wrest from the Pope. I could see some sort of grant to clean out corrupt abbeys and the like, but other than that I'm stuck.

Thoughts?

@FalconHonour @vandevere @kaiidth @isabella @curlyhairedhippie
that ship already sailed sadly as @kaiidth mentioned, the money, the autonomy, things a Henry VIII so full of himself would not leave behind, if anything this embold the protestanst, as sow the weakness of catholics with a semi real miracle.

Wouldn't Anne try to push for a separation from the Church? She was a proto-protestant or something like that wasn't she? (although I don't know how much), and if not her, she'll probably support protestant to teach the princes, which can cause that they'll end up like Ed VI and becoming hardcore protestants?

I may be overthinking this, but why would Henry remake ties with the Church? In OTL he annuled his marriage to Anne and Katheirne was alreadyd dead and he still remained separated from them, while he isn't the Supreme Head of the Church of England, wouldn't be more with Henry's character to simply mantain that the Church of England is separated from the Papacy so he can have all the power over it?

EDIT: Also, how would the Pope aprove of the annulment, woudln't the Emperor go against it since it's a matter of family pride not only of religion for him?

Last edited: