Queen Margaret I of England

Agreed there. Especially if his career is as storied as his namesake.

A Lusophone can correct me, but isn't St. James (São Diogo) a big deal in parts of Portugal? Barcelos rooster or something?

IIRC the story, some guy was arrested and brought before the house of the magistrate on a murder charge on St. James' Day. It was as the magistrate was about to sit down to "Sunday lunch", so he wanted to just find the guy guilty so he could go eat. The man protested his innocence but no one believed him. Finally, as they were leading the man away he shouted "by St. James (nicknamed the Just), if I am innocent let the [dead] chicken [on the table] crow to prove it". The roast chicken promptly got up and crowed three times and the man was released.

VVD0D95

Banned
A Lusophone can correct me, but isn't St. James (São Diogo) a big deal in parts of Portugal? Barcelos rooster or something?

IIRC the story, some guy was arrested and brought before the house of the magistrate on a murder charge on St. James' Day. It was as the magistrate was about to sit down to "Sunday lunch", so he wanted to just find the guy guilty so he could go eat. The man protested his innocence but no one believed him. Finally, as they were leading the man away he shouted "by St. James (nicknamed the Just), if I am innocent let the [dead] chicken [on the table] crow to prove it". The roast chicken promptly got up and crowed three times and the man was released.

Ahahahaha that's pretty cool. I imagine if a rooster started crowing on St James Day, the kid would definitely get the name

Ahahahaha that's pretty cool. I imagine if a rooster started crowing on St James Day, the kid would definitely get the name

Well, add to that that James is also patron saint of Spain (San Diego/Sant'iago) and it makes sense pcombined with Catalina's own piety

VVD0D95

Banned
Who was it that said of Margaret Tudor/Marie de Guise: "the old queen is a diehard papist, the new queen not much less"?
I don't think James V would go along with it, TBH. If he has his OTL policy towards Protestantism.
Indeed not. Especially if he’s been raised in a similarly devout household

St James is translated to Santiago or Saint Tiago. The correct Portuguese spelling of Diego is Diogo in Portuguese, btw. And while the story does follow that, as has been pointed out St James is the patron saint of Spain, a traditional rival. The patron saint of Portugal is St George, or Jorge, also a typical Portuguese name with some royal adherence around this era. And one with obvious English ties, if that spikes interest

VVD0D95

Banned
St James is translated to Santiago or Saint Tiago. The correct Portuguese spelling of Diego is Diogo in Portuguese, btw. And while the story does follow that, as has been pointed out St James is the patron saint of Spain, a traditional rival. The patron saint of Portugal is St George, or Jorge, also a typical Portuguese name with some royal adherence around this era. And one with obvious English ties, if that spikes interest
Hmm could Katherine and Manuel go for george then?

VVD0D95

Banned
Reading up on him it seems he and Manuel didn’t get in at all. Which is fair given John II tried to prevent Manuel ascending the throne in favour of Jorge

Yeah. It doesn't mean they can't get along well in other circumstances, or that the name would become tainted by his existence, but still.