Queen Eleanor’s son

Tree
Eleanor of Austria (b. 1498) married a) Manuel I, King of Portugal (1469-1521) in 1518, b) Francis I, king of France (1494-1549) in 1530
  1. a) Charles (1520-1521)
  2. a) Maria (1521-1553) married Philip II, King of Spain (b. 1527) in 1547
  3. b) Philip, Duke of Anjou then Orléans (b. 1532) married ? (Catherine of Austria (b. 1533), Eleanor of Austria (b. 1534) or Elizabeth Tudor (b. 1533))
  4. b) Isabelle (b. 1535) married Edward VI, King of England (b. 1537)
  5. b) Eleanor (b. 1535) married Emmanuel Philibert, Duke of Savoy (b. 1528)

NOTES:
pretty likely who little Philip would become Duke of Milan if he married either of his Austrian cousins, receiving also a considerable apanage by his father (likely Anjou, Orleans, Bourbon, and Angouleme) with the great displeasure of his elder half brother Henry II

Last edited:
Why does Maria of Viseu marry Philip here? Does Mary Tudor marry differently?
IDK what butterflies happen in England but Philip was all set to marry Maria IOTL when Mary ascended the English throne and his father forced him to marry her instead. TBH I think it's pretty reasonable that Philip and Maria would simply be married earlier here

Why does Maria of Viseu marry Philip here? Does Mary Tudor marry differently?
IDK what butterflies happen in England but Philip was all set to marry Maria IOTL when Mary ascended the English throne and his father forced him to marry her instead. TBH I think it's pretty reasonable that Philip and Maria would simply be married earlier here
Exactly. Here simply Maria, for whatever reason you wish, likely the existence of her French half-siblings, married Philip a couple of years after the death of Maria Manuela. Plus Mary Tudor here do not married at all as Edward VI lived longer than OTL (if you see he has no death date on the tree) and has heirs (as he would be married in 1552 to a princess a couple of years older than him)

Last edited:
Eleanor of Austria (b. 1498) married a) Manuel I, King of Portugal (1469-1521) in 1518, b) Francis I, king of France (1494-1547) in 1530
  1. a) Charles (1520-1521)
  2. a) Maria (1521-1553) married Philip II, King of Spain (b. 1527) in 1547
  3. b) Philip, Duke of Anjou then Orléans (b. 1532) married ? (Catherine of Austria (b. 1533), Eleanor of Austria (b. 1534) or Elizabeth Tudor (b. 1533))
  4. b) Isabelle (b. 1535) married Edward VI, King of England (b. 1537)
  5. b) Eleanor (b. 1535) married Emmanuel Philibert, Duke of Savoy (b. 1528)

NOTES:
pretty likely who little Philip would become Duke of Milan if he married either of his Austrian cousins, receiving also a considerable apanage by his father (likely Anjou, Orleans, Bourbon, and Angouleme) with the great displeasure of his elder half brother Henry II
IOTL there were similar ideas, but it's exactly the large French apanage required, which always made it a difficult proposition. Moreover from the duchy of Milan, the Austrian Hereditary Lands can be threatened. Hence why IOTL the Austrian Habsburgs wanted it, I doubt they will get it, but it going to a Spanish Habsburg would be better for them. Unfortunately there is no younger Infante-Archduke around ITTL (or is there), which would have been ideal, he (Charles/Ferdinand) then could be married to a younger French princess, maybe Eleanor, to seal the deal.

IOTL there were similar ideas, but it's exactly the large French apanage required, which always made it a difficult proposition. Moreover from the duchy of Milan, the Austrian Hereditary Lands can be threatened. Hence why IOTL the Austrian Habsburgs wanted it, I doubt they will get it, but it going to a Spanish Habsburg would be better for them. Unfortunately there is no younger Infante-Archduke around ITTL (or is there), which would have been ideal, he (Charles/Ferdinand) then could be married to a younger French princess, maybe Eleanor, to seal the deal.
That was an OTL plan who almost happened and was prevented only by the death of the French prince who was to get said lands. Here Charles d’Orleans died earlier than OTL so the lands and the wedding would be destined to Eleanor’s son (who is far closer to his mother than he is to his father or half-brother)

That was an OTL plan who almost happened and was prevented only by the death of the French prince who was to get said lands. Here Charles d’Orleans died earlier than OTL so the lands and the wedding would be destined to Eleanor’s son (who is far closer to his mother than he is to his father or half-brother)
I know about the plan, and also the opposition of the Dauphin. It were a lot of apanages, Anjou, Orléans, Bourbon and Angoulême, France will probably want to decrease it a bit, would the Habsburg accept a deal, where Anjou or Orléans does not go the prospected French candidate for Milan?

I know about the plan, and also the opposition of the Dauphin. It were a lot of apanages, Anjou, Orléans, Bourbon and Angoulême, France will probably want to decrease it a bit, would the Habsburg accept a deal, where Anjou or Orléans does not go the prospected French candidate for Milan?
The Dauphin was opposed but the deal was already signed as part of a big peace treaty. The Habsburg are unlikely to accept variations on the plan and that’s mean who Dauphin Henry will need to accept it

Exactly. Here simply Maria, for whatever reason you wish, likely the existence of her French half-siblings, married Philip a couple of years after the death of Maria Manuela. Plus Mary Tudor here do not married at all as Edward VI lived longer than OTL (if you see he has no death date on the tree) and has heirs (as he would be married in 1552 to a princess a couple of years older than him)
I wonder if, in the brief period after the duc d'Orléans dies, a double match Edward VI to Isabelle and Elizabeth to the duc d'Anjou would be considered?

Also, where does Marguerite, Duchesse de Berri end up if her half-sister is marrying Savoie? Course Eleonore's other daughter could always become Zygmunt August's second/third wife. Bona Sforza was trying for a French Princess when he married Barbara Radziwiłłówna

What if there was a double wedding? Philippe to Elisabeth and Isabelle to Edward?
I wonder if, in the brief period after the duc d'Orléans dies, a double match Edward VI to Isabelle and Elizabeth to the duc d'Anjou would be considered?
could work if an ATL Crepy is not arranged as here Francis‘s third son died in 1541 making Philip the logical candidate for that deal.
Also, where does Marguerite, Duchesse de Berri end up if her half-sister is marrying Savoie? Course Eleonore's other daughter could always become Zygmunt August's second/third wife. Bona Sforza was trying for a French Princess when he married Barbara Radziwiłłówna
Marguerite will sadly remain unmarried as that was already her fate before Henry II forced Savoy to marry her as he would be unable to do it with a younger alternative available. Little Eleanor would not be married in Poland as the match would made no sense… The only way in which I can see a French match for Sigismund II is if he had a child with Barbara and then remarried to Marguerite, who was already 28 at that point.