Qbam Geographic Maps Thread

Rajasthan River Basins 1.png
Rajasthan River Basins 2.png

Rajasthan's River basins, based mainly on databasins stuff. It's a bit strange to see this since every other source I found on the basins just call it the "Outside Basin" with none of the individual endoheric basins shown (if they are as databasins says, which is true). I think the idea of this is based on the Ghaggar-Hakra River, which is itself considered to be the ancient Sarasvati river mentioned in old inscriptions. The Luni river is thought to be a tributary of this river. That being said, if there's any input for dividing this large basin up I'd be ok with undertaking that, just so long as it has something rational and factual backing it up.
can someone please post a full version of the no-border patches, thanks
I've kinda started making it, and it'll get done soon.

India 1.png
India 2.png

And finally, india is done and almost all of the subcontinent is to.
India 3.png

Before I make the basins-only version, should I do it with color or just white backgrounds?

Morocco 2.png
Morocco 3.png
Morocco.png

Morocco, dealing with Algeria right now but I'll try and get it done within the next couple days so that the Mediterranean can be done

View attachment 765479View attachment 765480View attachment 765481
Morocco, dealing with Algeria right now but I'll try and get it done within the next couple days so that the Mediterranean can be done
How are you going to deal with the Sahara? There are some intermittent rivers with a semi-regular course, but considering most of the desert is devoid of rivers at all, will you show drainage basins with elevation-based courses or something else? That unless the source you use already deals with this.

How are you going to deal with the Sahara? There are some intermittent rivers with a semi-regular course, but considering most of the desert is devoid of rivers at all, will you show drainage basins with elevation-based courses or something else? That unless the source you use already deals with this.
dfb0uxb-d66bc52c-a14d-4ed6-b186-c713ffdfee0f.png

dfb0uxk-3d0e1563-74c5-4eff-9493-1a01357e47c9.png

At the moment, I don't have a solid plan for it and I'm sticking to the coast as much I can. Databasins has got everything somewhat covered, but the way they do it is just showing the basin regardless of whether or not it is dried up or not. This is why the Luni River in Rajasthan has such as huge basin. Now this is correct, but misleading, and unfortunately with the Sahara, it's a large pile of sand, so seeing what actually is there can be somewhat difficult. That being said, elevation is a good idea, but I'm also leaning towards using population centers only because they need water in large quantities, size of the basins which I am not as fond of because that doesn't mean much, and general relevance or how often it is mentioned in the sources of historical or modern documents (usually I look up locator maps on wiki or other maps around the internet).

I'm going to avoid the basins that are heavily clumped together (such as the massive amounts of blue more condensed then others because those are clearly deserts regions) unless they are part of larger basins. In general, I'm limited somewhat by the color scheme, but I can always pull colors from other parts of the DCS, provided I keep track of it, so it's barely an issue, but it does mean I need to pick and choose which ones get used, because I plan to use the DCS in its entirety.

However, I'm open to suggestions, and honestly there are more deserts then the Sahara so I can just carry over the same methodology to those ones as well

However, I'm open to suggestions, and honestly there are more deserts then the Sahara so I can just carry over the same methodology to those ones as well
As for the heavily clumped basins I'm fairly confident that is due to wind shaping dunes in parallel formations creating narrow and parallel basins between them. Without dunes these would all be part of the same basin, and the Sahara would be much simpler than that (a good chunk of it would be the same basin, the now defunct Tamanrasset River). So I would go for a simplification whenever possible, and only showing streams and isolated basins whenever they reach a certain area. I checked the files and the same applies for Patagonia, Australia, and the Western US, so we could just merge the smaller ones under a large endorrheic basin, which would not be true, but it is practical.

As for the colours, just pick them from other schemes, I think that's an easier solution than having to look around the rest of the scheme for spare ones.

As for the heavily clumped basins I'm fairly confident that is due to wind shaping dunes in parallel formations creating narrow and parallel basins between them. Without dunes these would all be part of the same basin, and the Sahara would be much simpler than that (a good chunk of it would be the same basin, the now defunct Tamanrasset River). So I would go for a simplification whenever possible, and only showing streams and isolated basins whenever they reach a certain area. I checked the files and the same applies for Patagonia, Australia, and the Western US, so we could just merge the smaller ones under a large endorrheic basin, which would not be true, but it is practical.

As for the colours, just pick them from other schemes, I think that's an easier solution than having to look around the rest of the scheme for spare ones.
On the topic of merging them all, how should I go about deciding which ones get the "main" color, or does it matter that much and can I do it at random? Also, how should I decide whats in a megabasin?

knowing where the oasises r now and what drains into them is also cool, aswell as what the rivers would be if the sahara was green.

Last edited:
knowing where the oasis's r know and what drains into them is also cool, aswell as what the rivers would be if the sahara was green.
Yeah, that would be nice to know for the megabasins. Weirdly enough, there's a lot of data and theory about it so it's got its merits. The question is how do I cross reference it with databasins

On the topic of merging them all, how should I go about deciding which ones get the "main" color, or does it matter that much and can I do it at random? Also, how should I decide whats in a megabasin?
Considering that size is pretty much the only metric that can be measured for those water courses, I'd say we go with that. Size would have to be arbitrary, for example, depicting the basins that have a certain size (check image below), which still leaves a huge gap in the Western Sahara. Colours should just be random there IMO.
1660203206499.png

Considering that size is pretty much the only metric that can be measured for those water courses, I'd say we go with that. Size would have to be arbitrary, for example, depicting the basins that have a certain size (check image below), which still leaves a huge gap in the Western Sahara. Colours should just be random there IMO.
View attachment 765826
At that point we might as well get two versions of the Sahara, one with the paleorivers and one without.

View attachment 765826
That makes sense, my main issue is just the river color scheme, more specifically the different shades per each color (the vassal and territory part. Because if I just add in a bunch of rivers with all one color, things get just a little confusing. Should there be just 1 main river with the rest being tributaries, or multiple main rivers? And if they are not connected on databasins, should I connect them?

I'll try and go by ecoregion (like the Chotts in Algeria and Tunisia or the El Hoggar mountain rivers