Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

As you will know, Egypt is mostly uninhabited, so pre-modern states did not have clearly demarcated borders outside the riverine strip. Therefore the straight lines.

As you will know, Egypt is mostly uninhabited, so pre-modern states did not have clearly demarcated borders outside the riverine strip. Therefore the straight lines.
Sure, but this map is completely ahistorical. I would like to see where the source for this is, but I do know that the line between the Sinai and the Levant was literally created by the Anglo-Ottoman border commission in 1906 to demarcate Egypt from Palestine. I’m willing to bet the rest of these haphazard straight lines are largely random, ripped from the colonial and modern period, and/or are only loosely based off of any actual districts used by the Mamluk state.

Last edited:
image.png

September 3, 1403: Death of Gian Galeazzo Visconti

(take Mesoamerica with a grain of salt, I had a hard time figuring stuff out down there)
I'm so happy to see Tamerlane in action!

Crazy Boris

Banned
I was wondering this also, are you going to change your basemap to the r-qbam once it gets finished, or will you stay with the current qbam?

I’m going to stick with Qbam at least for the time being, since I have dozens of patches and references specifically for it, but if R-Qbam ever gets that much additional material, I’d gladly switch over.

I wonder if the Spanish ever tried or thought to find a way to connect their Southern Italian territories with the ones in the North.
They were connected in a informal way because Spanish mostly controlled Tuscany and Papal States, Siena which constitutes southern half of Tuscany was a Spanish fief ("Tuscany was divided into two main administrative districts: the stato nuovo (the new state) consisting of the former Republic of Siena, and the stato vecchio (the old state), the old Republic of Florence and her dependencies. The two areas were governed by separate laws. They were divided because the stato nuovo was a Spanish fief and the stato vecchio an Imperial one. Siena was ruled by a governor appointed by the grand duke")
They also had the Stato dei Presidi along the Tuscan coast which they gave alot of importance. And all the rest of the spanish territories in Europe were connected by the famous Spanish Road.

Attachments

• 05205.jpg
    05205.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 384
They were connected in a informal way because Spanish mostly controlled Tuscany and Papal States, Siena which constitutes southern half of Tuscany was a Spanish fief ("Tuscany was divided into two main administrative districts: the stato nuovo (the new state) consisting of the former Republic of Siena, and the stato vecchio (the old state), the old Republic of Florence and her dependencies. The two areas were governed by separate laws. They were divided because the stato nuovo was a Spanish fief and the stato vecchio an Imperial one. Siena was ruled by a governor appointed by the grand duke")
They also had the Stato dei Presidi along the Tuscan coast which they gave alot of importance. And all the rest of the spanish territories in Europe were connected by the famous Spanish Road.

So, they were de facto connected but not de jure.

Are there any Q-BAMs of flooding projects like the Qattara Depression or that giant lake in the Congo that can be seen in some alt-history works?

What on earth is happening in Egypt, did the Mamluks just love straight lines?
From what I can guess, the borders are set by the river like between 200f and 220f down the river is province X. It doesn't really matter much away from the rivers so it isn't much set away from that but since that's the official border, we just have to go with it if we want to approximate the border beyond the river.

Interesting. And curiously, the Spanish Road is quite similar to the geopolitical concept of the so-called "Blue Banana".

Camino Español.png Blue Banana.png

Coincidence? I think not. 🤔

Interesting. And curiously, the Spanish Road is quite similar to the geopolitical concept of the so-called "Blue Banana".
Only geographyically. The placement of Spanish lands is due to inheritance and thus "random", while it happens that both the more populated (and industrious) areas are as well those that are easier to traverse due to them being wide and flat river valleys (Rhine and Po). If only, the Spaniards only depopulated the region with constant warfare.