Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

With many thanks to @OxSpace, @PecuTheGreat, @Lothal and @Prof_Chemical for their information and data.

As a result I have updated the North Sea map again to include changes in Flanders;
UK, Holland, Jutland & Flanders.png

and a new sub-patch for the area north of La Rochelle;
La Rochelle Picton Patch.png

I will edit the main maps soon
Main maps now edited

Last edited:
Lake Chad next;
Plenty for 20thC
Prior to that not so much if at all
Well, Lake Chad was way larger during the early Holocene, encompassing an area of around 1 million square kilometers at an elevation of 329m. It lasted until around 5,000 years ago when the African humid period ended. But, an area in the north called the Bodélé Depression still had standing water until the 11th century.

Hope this study helps

6 August 750.png

August 6 750, the Abbasids kick the Umayyads to the curb, but then they both troll a bunch of usurpers in Spain and North Africa

Last edited:
Here is Lake Chad;
Chad patch Lv1.png

I'll update the main maps later. NOW EDITED 18.01.22
Despite the patch for Mega Chad I'm not going to be producing a world map for that timeframe.

Last edited:
View attachment 711556
August 6 750, the Abbasids kick the Umayyads to the curb, but then they both troll a bunch of usurpers in Spain and North Africa
I am so happy to see a new historical map made by someone who knows how to make them (alas, I am too incompetent). As per frickin usual, I am left with a few questions. One of them is brought about for my love of Osprey Military History books.
(Please don't take offense at that Bob Hope. Your maps are amazing and invaluable. I also admire your work entertaining the troops and I'm sure that your performance in The Paleface is exceptional)
I own a book titled The Conquest of Saxony AD 782-785 and within the pages of that book, it shows that the Saxons (specifically the Nordalbians), prior to Charlemagne's conquest of the region, controlled the Wagrian Peninsula. I assumed that the Obodrites got Wagria as a reward from Charlemagne. Can someone fill me in on the facts?
Looking at the Avars, I can't help but compare them to the later Magyars. The Magyars cause so much of a mess in Western Europe, yet the Avars were kept in check by the Franks and Bavarians. What did the Magyars have that the Avars didn't?
Is that's all that's left of Samo's kingdom? Do they play rhapsodies there?
On another note, I'm going to take advantage of this opportunity and ask if it's possible, when making a Roman Empire map (if anyone is interested in doing that) to show the provincial subdivisions, the conventi iuridici? Just a question, not a demand.

Last edited:
Nordalbians
The Nordalbingian tribes were finally defeated at the 798 Battle of Bornhöved by the combined forces of the Franks and their Obotrite allies led by Prince Drożko. The Saxons lost 4,000 people, 10,000 families of Saxons were deported to other areas of the Carolingian Empire.
Wagria {more than just the peninsula in those days] was ceded as "empty" land to the Obotrites in 801, in return for their assistance.

1642505959068.png

After a Danish invasion and Charlemagne's death in 814, the Nordalbingian Saxons were pardoned and their land restored to them from the Obotrites.

What did the Magyars have that the Avars didn't
The Franks had a land ruled by a Single monarch, who had already subjugated the Lombards {allied with the Avars previously] and who was co-operating with the Bulgars to the Avar's south.
The Magyars, however, were able to raid different areas without getting a unified response.

Is that's all that's left of Samo's kingdom? Do they play rhapsodies there?
On another note, I'm going to take advantage of this opportunity and ask if it's possible, when making a Roman Empire map (if anyone is interested in doing that) to show the provincial subdivisions, the conventi iuridici? Just a question, not a demand.
Not quite, Samo's Empire, for whatever reason, was heavily linked with Samo himself, and so effectively died when he died. We don't particularly know all that much about his empire after him, if it even stayed around, because there aren't any written sources from either native slavs or even Franks concerning it. That little state in the Czech Republic is just what I used for the Czech tribes in the area.

I see there are dates with it, I just would like to get a range from when it existed to when it was eventually closed. From the patches it looks like it was fully closed around 1450.
The data shows a gradual silting of that area but does not give any dates for its final closure. I have made the assumption that the storms of the 1280's would have contributed and that the final nail would be the storm of 1362 which definitely affected the west coast of Jutland; https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den_Store_Manddrukning [translated].
It was an informed decision to do the patches for closure between 1300-1450.

The data shows a gradual silting of that area but does not give any dates for its final closure. I have made the assumption that the storms of the 1280's would have contributed and that the final nail would be the storm of 1362 which definitely affected the west coast of Jutland; https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den_Store_Manddrukning [translated].
It was an informed decision to do the patches for closure between 1300-1450.
Just checking, I'll add it to the updates that I'm making to the old maps I've made

After much work, I have finished translating the 1905 Hisatlas Africa map into QBAM!

1642631623602.png

I do think this needs a lot of improvement (especially in terms of native African entities) so feel free to point me towards sources for them! If I get enough stuff I will 100% make an improved version.