Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

2 - They do not exist yet
I know that the Thuringii don't exist yet. What I was asking was who are the people living in the territory that they would occupy in later centuries at the height of their power. Is it the Naharvali? Or some other group?

I know that the Thuringii don't exist yet. What I was asking was who are the people living in the territory that they would occupy in later centuries at the height of their power. Is it the Naharvali? Or some other group?
Oh no, those are the Semnones, who are still a thing around this time period

You may have seen this absolutely garbage map I made when I was 16

I was very embarassed by this
but now
I HAVE REDEEMED MYSELF!
unknown.png

blank map will be on my deviantart, I only labelled this one to contrast with the old one
Is that border between Khiva and Persia really accurate for 1800. Looks too modern to me.

Is there a world 1600 or 1602 map?
There is a 1600 map, which you can find here.

If you want more go here as you'll find a lot of maps. Me, I just want more and more, as I'm a glutton for this stuff. Still waiting for my Akkadian Empire, David's hypothetical kingdom of Israel, Knut's North Sea Empire, Tigranes' Armenian Empire, Mithradates' Pontic kingdom, etc. I'll never be happy. That's how much these guys are spoiling me.

patches for the Danube delta, Caspian Sea, and Aral Sea from the 1st to 19th centuriesView attachment 695339
qbam caspian sea.png

a fix for azerbaijan, the coastline definitely seemed weird to me.
I had no idea the Caspian changed.... at all in recorded history, this is really interesting, know where I can find more info?
the amount of water that flows into the caspian and aral has ebbed and flowed over time, also the northern part of the caspian sea is in the caspian depression which is a lowland that results in the coastline changing dramatically depending on the level of the water in the caspian at any point in time

I had no idea the Caspian changed.... at all in recorded history, this is really interesting, know where I can find more info?
This video shows the changes way back to 120000 BP, it also has sources in the description that contain more information. Essentially, as has been stated above, the level of the Caspian and Aral Seas is determined through the outputs of the main tributaries, the Volga in the Caspian (around 80% of the inflow) and the Sir/Amu Darya in the Aral Sea. The amount of water in those rivers, and thus the amount of water in the seas, depends on the climate and the amount of ice in the mountains. Also, for the northern Caspian sea there is a very low inclination angle, which means that water can cover huge areas with meager increases in height. Currently, the Caspian is dropping by around 6 cm per year, which could lead to a loss of up to 18 meters in depth by the end of the century, and a total area loss greater than Serbia.

Steppe geography is wild af!
But on the topic of the aral sea, does that mean that the Aral sea is going to regrow itself again? Or is it dying a much more sad, man-made, and/or permanent death?
Looks permanent, Uzbekistan is not going to stop taking water away for cotton and other crops, so the South Aral Sea is toast. However, the north has been recovering well since a dam was built impeding excess water to flow to the south and evaporate, even recovering part of its fishing industry. Plus the climate change models I've seen show a decrease in precipitation and an increase in evaporation in Central Asia, so that looks like a kill.

View attachment 695362
a fix for azerbaijan, the coastline definitely seemed weird to me.

the amount of water that flows into the caspian and aral has ebbed and flowed over time, also the northern part of the caspian sea is in the caspian depression which is a lowland that results in the coastline changing dramatically depending on the level of the water in the caspian at any point in time
1-s2.0-S0277379100000020-gr6.gif

Not Q-BAM but I saw this for the Aral and Sarykamysh from this paper. The palaeolimnology of the Aral Sea: a review

View attachment 696047

Not Q-BAM but I saw this for the Aral and Sarykamysh from this paper. The palaeolimnology of the Aral Sea: a review
Aral Stuff.png

What I made for the Aral and Sarykamysh Sea patches for 3000 BC. (The small lake west of the Aral might be a mistake)

Unrelated and not really the best but

Aral Stuff.png

South Borneo Patch for 10,000 BC to 1300 AD based off this video by Lazardi Wong Jogja

And

Aral Stuff.png

Northern France in the English Channel, 100 BC to 1040 AD based off this video by Ollie Bye

Last edited:

Crazy Boris

Banned
Really appreciating all these coastlines patches lately.

One for the old northern boundary of the Persian Gulf would be swell... just sayin’....