Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Crazy Boris

Banned
You may have seen this absolutely garbage map I made when I was 16

1800.png

This is the oldest map I can find on my computer. I made it on February 2014, I would have been 16 at the time.

There's um.... a lot to take in here.

As embarrassing as this is, it shows how far I've come.

I was very embarassed by this
but now
I HAVE REDEEMED MYSELF!
unknown.png

blank map will be on my deviantart, I only labelled this one to contrast with the old one

but now
I HAVE REDEEMED MYSELF!
unknown.png

blank map will be on my deviantart, I only labelled this one to contrast with the old one
Really nice, but a few things:
1. You could improve the Hakkari region, I have a video on this (Check the description, there is a state I missed and I linked a map of it in the description.)
2. Not sure why you are showing "Hawwara" as an independent country in Sudan, all Hawwara was was a tribe in Mamluk and Ottoman Egypt that had some autonomy, it wasn't an independent state ever.
3. I don't know what you were trying to do with native tribes, it's clear you are showing the de jure situation with European claims, but then why are a few tribes shown in the north of the Louisiana territory but nowhere else?
4. You seem to have combined the British provinces of Durham and Northumbria.
5. Ireland should at least have an outline in the British color.
6. Abkhazia was an Ottoman vassal, too, and the Ottomans owned the Circassian coast. The rest of Circassia was a bunch of disorganized tribes and wasn't united until a few decades later.
7. Here is a map to improve Algeria. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/691736606289428544/880888285956812900/algeria_watermark.png
8. Gujarat wasn't united and had a lot of small, fragmented states, but it was very complicated and info about it is obscure, so I understand why you may not want to show it.

These are 8 major things I was able to find, although there may be more. Overall, very good map.

Crazy Boris

Banned
Really nice, but a few things:
1. You could improve the Hakkari region, I have a video on this (Check the description, there is a state I missed and I linked a map of it in the description.)
2. Not sure why you are showing "Hawwara" as an independent country in Sudan, all Hawwara was was a tribe in Mamluk and Ottoman Egypt that had some autonomy, it wasn't an independent state ever.
3. I don't know what you were trying to do with native tribes, it's clear you are showing the de jure situation with European claims, but then why are a few tribes shown in the north of the Louisiana territory but nowhere else?
4. You seem to have combined the British provinces of Durham and Northumbria.
5. Ireland should at least have an outline in the British color.
6. Abkhazia was an Ottoman vassal, too, and the Ottomans owned the Circassian coast. The rest of Circassia was a bunch of disorganized tribes and wasn't united until a few decades later.
7. Here is a map to improve Algeria. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/691736606289428544/880888285956812900/algeria_watermark.png
8. Gujarat wasn't united and had a lot of small, fragmented states, but it was very complicated and info about it is obscure, so I understand why you may not want to show it.

These are 8 major things I was able to find, although there may be more. Overall, very good map.

Hawwara: as far as I can tell, they more or less ruled Upper Egypt independently until around 1813, but I’m largely going off convention over other people showing them as independent, truthfully, info on them seems scarce.

Louisiana: Those tribes are, as far as I know, the only ones in the area to actually have states, which is why they show up.

Gujarat: It was all under Baroda’s overlordship within the Maratha Condederacy, I thought about going down to second levels on the Marathas but figured that would be too complicated

Abkhazia: From what I can tell, Ottoman vassalage was only nominal from the mid-1700s onwards.

As for the rest; pretty much just oversight on my part (especially Ireland, I’m surprised I missed that) or stuff my sources said different, but I’ll certainly be looking into some of these more next time

Waitaminute! You were sixteen in 2014? That means that right now you're... disgustingly young. :evilupset:

Gosh darn your youth!

P.S. I've been meaning to ask this question to the mapmakers of this thread, but I've never known what was the best excuse to do so. Oh well. Considering the hypothetical nature of the unified kingdom of Israel under David and Solomon, as seen in maps like this one or this one, is there any chance that any of you will be making a map of this realm of dubious historicity?

Waitaminute! You were sixteen in 2014? That means that right now you're... disgustingly young. :evilupset:

Gosh darn your youth!

P.S. I've been meaning to ask this question to the mapmakers of this thread, but I've never known what was the best excuse to do so. Oh well. Considering the hypothetical nature of the unified kingdom of Israel under David and Solomon, as seen in maps like this one or this one, is there any chance that any of you will be making a map of this realm of dubious historicity?
One could create a patch for this, although the borders mentioned in the Bible might be quite vague.

Hawwara: as far as I can tell, they more or less ruled Upper Egypt independently until around 1813, but I’m largely going off convention over other people showing them as independent, truthfully, info on them seems scarce.

Louisiana: Those tribes are, as far as I know, the only ones in the area to actually have states, which is why they show up.

Gujarat: It was all under Baroda’s overlordship within the Maratha Condederacy, I thought about going down to second levels on the Marathas but figured that would be too complicated

Abkhazia: From what I can tell, Ottoman vassalage was only nominal from the mid-1700s onwards.

As for the rest; pretty much just oversight on my part (especially Ireland, I’m surprised I missed that) or stuff my sources said different, but I’ll certainly be looking into some of these more next time
A lot of people's depictions on Hawwara are really wrong.
Louisiana: There were plenty of others, some much more important than those too? The Cherokee come to mind, they had an entirely centralized state.
Abkhazia: Yes, and your map is 1800.
Gujarat: Yeah, it's very complicated.
Also, use this for better Arabia borders.
And this for Yemen.

if you think mans is using the wrong sources or arent happy with the decisions theyve made, you could always take a crack at it yourself. like it only sometimes, but sometimes guy will post a map he’s clever spent ages on, one full of detail n effort and its all like “eugh, this one corner is wrong again” which is just not pleasant.

if you think mans is using the wrong sources or arent happy with the decisions theyve made, you could always take a crack at it yourself. like it only sometimes, but sometimes guy will post a map he’s clever spent ages on, one full of detail n effort and its all like “eugh, this one corner is wrong again” which is just not pleasant.
So you mean we should have maps that could be easily improved upon not be updated because...? If people can give better sources and address possible mistakes, why shouldn't they?

So you mean we should have maps that could be easily improved upon not be updated because...? If people can give better sources and address possible mistakes, why shouldn't they?
I think what he meant was criticism can only go so far into accomplishing what you wish to see. Perhaps the creator does not have any free time on his hands or is sick of doing the map of that year. Crazy Boris makes excellent maps, that can be in no doubt. However, you and I can see some errors from time to time. Luckily, insofar as I am aware, these maps are free to use by the public with credit. There is no harm in going into GIMP/Photoshop or what have you and making some changes yourself. You need not rely solely on the creator to make the necessary changes.

Last edited:
Idk about "better sources" when many of these sources are up to interpretation, as are the supposed mistakes.
And on the topic of interpretation, there's a lot that can be said about how one interprets sources.
I mean I'm open to criticism, especially with modern maps, but even still, lots of it is artist interpretation

but now
I HAVE REDEEMED MYSELF!
unknown.png

A very small gripe from an Australian, but the New South Wales claim extended to the 135° east, and you've marked it at 141°, the eastern border of SA (roughly) instead

Crazy Boris

Banned
saudi timeline.png

Patches for Saudi Arabia's internal and external borders
I may have missed a thing or two, this region can be tough to figure out

Massive thanks to @BonkeyDonk for finding a paper with maps and info that was a huge help for this

Fall 235.png

Battle of Harzhorn Hill, Fall of 235 A.D., Thrax leads the last major Roman incursion into Germania and defeats the Germans at the Harz region of Germany.

View attachment 693173
Battle of Harzhorn Hill, Fall of 235 A.D., Thrax leads the last major Roman incursion into Germania and defeats the Germans at the Harz region of Germany.
I have a few Dumb Questions Du Jour, especially concerning the Germans.
1 - Those are early Saxons, right?
2 - Where the Thuringii would later be, should I assume that the Naharvali still exist, or is it some other group?
3 - Are the Franks the yellow guys or the other guys?
4 - Are those Sarmations living on the other side of the Marcomanni/Quadi border, or proto-slavs?
5 - Do you really want me to read up on my ancient history of Japan? Next thing I know, you'll tell me that the Kojiki isn't 100% reliable...

Last edited:
I have a few Dumb Questions Du Jour, especially concerning the Germans.
1 - Those are early Saxons, right?
2 - Where the Thuringii would later be, should I assume that the Naharvali still exist, or is it some other group?
3 - Are the Franks the yellow guys or the other guys?
4 - Are those Sarmations living on the other side of the Marcomanni/Quadi border, or proto-slavs?
5 - Do you really want me to read up on my ancient history of Japan? Next think I know, you'll tell me that the Kojiki isn't 100% reliable...
1 - Yes
2 - They do not exist yet
3 - Neither, the brown is the Chamavi, the green are the Bructeri, and yellow are the Sicambri. They are all tribes that will form the franks in a short time
4 - If you mean the grey and yellow, the grey are the Silingi Vandals and the Yellow are a semi-obscure tribe called the Victuali
5 - That would be helpful, I just use youtube for ancient japan