Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Crazy Boris

Banned
This is an extract from Spanish Wikipedia:

And my rough translation:
The scarce historical sources assure that he made contact with some authorities of the Mapuche people, however, the king never had control of any point of the territory. The traditional mapuche authorities continued their functions, no customs were altered, and the state was never established. Tounens was accepted by the community, especially Quilapán, as a foreigner able to get support of a European Great Power; there are no indications of him being recognized as monarch, even is Quilapán followed some of his advice and allowed him to use the title of King. The mapuche known as abajinos, people of the plains of the Central Valley, between the Biobío and Toltén rivers, never recognized Tounens and denounced him to Saavedra.

So yeah, claiming he held any control is just... too much, let alone give his kingdom all of its claims.

What’s the source for that? English wiki gives multiple sources in English, Spanish, and French that claim otherwise.

What’s the source for that? English wiki gives multiple sources in English, Spanish, and French that claim otherwise.
I've checked Historia del pueblo mapuche: (siglo XIX y XX) by José Bengoa (I wanted to check another one which goes even further into the Kingdom itself but I can't find a free version). In this book, even if shortly, the auhor describes Tounens as acting as an advisor to the Mapuche chief Quilapán. His recognition doesn't seem to have gone any further than the Wenteches (the Mapuche group living in the foothills of the Andes - the Chilean Mapuches were split into four regions from west to east, in this case we are talking about the Wenteches, the third region in that order), and while claiming that he was in any way a monarch is kinda acceptable (even tho I wouldn't, he seems to have been just an advisor and I'm fairly certain the title of King had no significance for the Mapuche so they left him get away with it), claiming that he held control from the Pacfic all the way to the Atlantic and occupying all of Patagonia is just kinda ASB.

And another thing, considering the Mapuche don't appear in most QBAM maps (if any?), putting them on the map because suddenly they have an European Monarch is kinda... unfair. My suggestion would be to just show the areas of Mapuche control under the fourth groups I mentioned above, and if you really want to depict the Kingdom, show the Wenteches with the Kingdom color.

Crazy Boris

Banned
I've checked Historia del pueblo mapuche: (siglo XIX y XX) by José Bengoa (I wanted to check another one which goes even further into the Kingdom itself but I can't find a free version). In this book, even if shortly, the auhor describes Tounens as acting as an advisor to the Mapuche chief Quilapán. His recognition doesn't seem to have gone any further than the Wenteches (the Mapuche group living in the foothills of the Andes - the Chilean Mapuches were split into four regions from west to east, in this case we are talking about the Wenteches, the third region in that order), and while claiming that he was in any way a monarch is kinda acceptable (even tho I wouldn't, he seems to have been just an advisor and I'm fairly certain the title of King had no significance for the Mapuche so they left him get away with it), claiming that he held control from the Pacfic all the way to the Atlantic and occupying all of Patagonia is just kinda ASB.

And another thing, considering the Mapuche don't appear in most QBAM maps (if any?), putting them on the map because suddenly they have an European Monarch is kinda... unfair. My suggestion would be to just show the areas of Mapuche control under the fourth groups I mentioned above, and if you really want to depict the Kingdom, show the Wenteches with the Kingdom color.

I don't usually put the Mapuche on the maps because as far as I can tell, they weren't organized into states, and if I depict one tribe, I have to depict them all the map will just get too complicated, especially trying to figure out where to draw the boundaries. I know that the kingdom's effective control never really extended outside of Araucania, but I figured since I usually show the full claims on stateless lands (Australia being a good example), I would do it here too for consistency.

I don't usually put the Mapuche on the maps because as far as I can tell, they weren't organized into states, and if I depict one tribe, I have to depict them all the map will just get too complicated, especially trying to figure out where to draw the boundaries. I know that the kingdom's effective control never really extended outside of Araucania, but I figured since I usually show the full claims on stateless lands (Australia being a good example), I would do it here too for consistency.
I mean, do you show half of the world being owned by Spain and half by Portugal after Tordesillas? Because that's exactly the same thing here. Spain claimed all of Patagonia as part of the Viceroyalty of Peru and later as part of the Viceroyalty of La Plata and the Captaincy General of Chile. What's worse, Araucania and Patagonia was as much of a state as Liberland or Sealand.

Crazy Boris

Banned
I mean, do you show half of the world being owned by Spain and half by Portugal after Tordesillas? Because that's exactly the same thing here. Spain claimed all of Patagonia as part of the Viceroyalty of Peru and later as part of the Viceroyalty of La Plata and the Captaincy General of Chile.

Tordesillas is a different matter entirely, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a claim by the two, but more demarcating a boundary between what they could claim. And even if it was claimed by Spain, it wouldn't matter by this point since Spain isn't in South America anymore, and If I remember correctly, Chile and Argentina didn't press southwards until the late 1860s/ early1870s.

Araucania and Patagonia was as much of a state as Liberland or Sealand.

Sealand is a de facto state so that doesn't really work as a comparison (Liberland however isn't)

Tordesillas is a different matter entirely, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a claim by the two, but more demarcating a boundary between what they could claim. And even if it was claimed by Spain, it wouldn't matter by this point since Spain isn't in South America anymore, and If I remember correctly, Chile and Argentina didn't press southwards until the late 1860s/ early1870s.

Sealand is a de facto state so that doesn't really work as a comparison (Liberland however isn't)
I really don't want to continue this argument, my point stands and I honestly think it's a stain on the accuracy of your maps, which are really good.

Crazy Boris

Banned
unknown.png

44 BC: Julius Caesar is assassinated

unknown.png

44 BC: Julius Caesar is assassinated
An amazing map, and one which answers some questions. I've tried to make my own maps, but I'm too reliant on Youtube videos which tend to contradict each other.

That being said, there should be a corner of Armorica which is not under Roman control. One small village of indomitable Gauls should be still holding out against the invaders.

Germanic Tribes not shown but I might make them.
That may be needed, as the easternmost piece of the Gaulish Empire was lost right to the germanic tribes. Also, the northwestern corner of Roman Italy (Regio XI Transpadana) swore allegiance to the Gallic Emperor Postumus, but he didn't accept it. Also, I think at some point, Spain was part of the seceded territories, then was reconquered by the Imperial Legions

Christmas came early! Another fine map for my collection.

But I must ask a dumb question. Wasn't all of Narbonensis under Roman (i.e. not Gallic) control? I always made that assumption.
Claudius Gothicus retook the Rhône valley from them before he became ill. It would be retaken by the Gallic Empire when Aurelian was annihilating Palmyra. The rest of Narbonesis was under Posthumus’s control.

Last edited:
Crossposting from the Proposals and War Aims that Never Happened thread:
During the Pacific War, in 1880, Peru and Bolivia considered forming a federation between them, but this never happened due to the war, as the governing Juntas in both countries suggested a plebiscite, which ended up not being held due to the war. I've made a map about said proposal and all it's Federal States:
View attachment 589969