Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

1597083321799.png

Deseret

Can someone clarify what exactly the Viceroyalty of Peru's northern border is? A lot of maps on here and a majority of the ones you'd find on google images show it following the Marañón River, though other maps have it following the Japurá River

Crazy Boris

Banned
unknown.png

August 2, 1589: Henri IV becomes king of France, inaugurating the Bourbon dynasty
(conveniently also doubles for the Ottomans at their height and the Moroccan conquest of Timbuktu)

unknown.png

August 2, 1589: Henri IV becomes king of France, inaugurating the Bourbon dynasty
(conveniently also doubles for the Ottomans at their height and the Moroccan conquest of Timbuktu)
Another wonderful map of a year which tends to be forgotten. Thank you CrazyBoris. I'm a bit dissapointed that the Portugal didn't hold more lands in East Africa. Cést la histoire I guess.

In the meantime, I shall remain salty for the lack of any maps from the following years:

218 bC/201 bC
50 bC
270 aD
555 aD
1147 aD
1203 aD

And of course, the rivers. Why don't these maps have rivers? I know that rivers change course over the years, but come on.

Another wonderful map of a year which tends to be forgotten. Thank you CrazyBoris. I'm a bit dissapointed that the Portugal didn't hold more lands in East Africa. Cést la histoire I guess.

In the meantime, I shall remain salty for the lack of any maps from the following years:

218 bC/201 bC
50 bC
270 aD
555 aD
1147 aD
1203 aD

And of course, the rivers. Why don't these maps have rivers? I know that rivers change course over the years, but come on.
Making these maps take time, it might really be faster for you to make them yourself rather than waiting for someone to do them. Also, the latest river map for QBAM is really, really outdated

Making these maps take time, it might really be faster for you to make them yourself rather than waiting for someone to do them. Also, the latest river map for QBAM is really, really outdated
Alas, I am terrible at making maps. Heck, I tend to use rivers as borders which is not always viable.

I honestly feel like rivers on historical Q-BAMs just clutter the map and make it harder to edit. And yea, the updated river map is nowhere near completion.

1863 AD - January 1: Crazy Boris (with labels)
1900 AD - January 1: Crazy Boris
1919 AD - May/June Makhnovists patch: Viralworld
1922 AD - October 28: Crazy Boris

Does anyone know what the best way is to change these to a Pacific centred map? Can you make them equirectangular and then change them? What projection are they in

I'm trying to do a timeline from the 1880s with Japan but the best maps all have these horrible curves. No way to change the centre to the Atlantic?

Would be cool if @Crazy Boris did equirectangular maps. Why does he do round ones, isn't it really hard to make borders from OTL maps using that?

Does anyone know what the best way is to change these to a Pacific centred map? Can you make them equirectangular and then change them? What projection are they in

I'm trying to do a timeline from the 1880s with Japan but the best maps all have these horrible curves. No way to change the centre to the Atlantic?

Would be cool if @Crazy Boris did equirectangular maps. Why does he do round ones, isn't it really hard to make borders from OTL maps using that?
1. Nope, there are two alternatives: doing it by eye, or using software to change it and then fix any errors by hand
2. Crazy Boris (or any other member for that matter) does notdo equirectangular maps because this is a QBAM thread, meaning all the maps have the same rounded, atlantic centered projection. You might want to check stuff like the XK Bams for equirectangular maps. And also, making borders in a rounded map is not really that hard.

1. Nope, there are two alternatives: doing it by eye, or using software to change it and then fix any errors by hand
2. Crazy Boris (or any other member for that matter) does notdo equirectangular maps because this is a QBAM thread, meaning all the maps have the same rounded, atlantic centered projection. You might want to check stuff like the XK Bams for equirectangular maps. And also, making borders in a rounded map is not really that hard.

Aren't 90% of IRL maps that you would use for sources given with straight horizontal and longitude lines? Isn't it hard to curve them? Like with the treaty of tordesillas

So no one made a pacific version of qbam? Hard to imagine in 5 years or whatever there's been no japanese/hawaiian/asian users or people who want to show the pacific war or aussie/nz or do polynesian timelines

Aren't 90% of IRL maps that you would use for sources given with straight horizontal and longitude lines? Isn't it hard to curve them? Like with the treaty of tordesillas

So no one made a pacific version of qbam? Hard to imagine in 5 years or whatever there's been no japanese/hawaiian/asian users or people who want to show the pacific war or aussie/nz or do polynesian timelines
We have latitude and longitude lines to use as references, and after a couple of years of doing maps, you get good at translating projections. And yes, there is a pacific centered QBam, but it's outdated, and it's not a priority at all to translate every QBam we already have into a pacific centered version. At this point, you might have more luck at just making your own custom map for your timeline/scenario

We have latitude and longitude lines to use as references, and after a couple of years of doing maps, you get good at translating projections. And yes, there is a pacific centered QBam, but it's outdated, and it's not a priority at all to translate every QBam we already have into a pacific centered version. At this point, you might have more luck at just making your own custom map for your timeline/scenario

Ah I don't have this experience. Could you convert the 1863 map to a 4k or 2k bam or whatever is equivalent and I can work from there? I don't know how to do it myself, how do I know what pixel goes where? Once you give me a base map to work on I can work it out from there by comparing