Public Forum

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Ian the Admin, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Skallagrim Not the one from YouTube. Different other fellow.

• Warning
    My apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to put this, but I didn't think it right to clutter the place up with a fresh thread just for this.

I'd like to offer a suggestion as far as the rules/guidelines are concerned, in the form of a 'good faith' practice.

In recent times, I've seen an (as far as I can tell) escalating tendency among certain forum users to cast aspersions about the character of other users whenever they disagree with something those others post. I don't mean in chat, I mean that someone posts a scenario, another takes issue with (elements of) that scenerio... and then instead of critiquing the scenario's plausibility, that other user starts hinting that the creator has hidden (and uncouth) political motivations for crafting that scenario.

That's what I'd call a witch hunt.

I think it would be best if we introduced a practice of 'good faith'. That is: unless someone actively supports a position (as in the case of people posting, for instance, genocide scenarios and calling it 'their ideal world' etc.), the contents of scenarios should not be ascribed to the creator as represwenting his actual beliefs. And more importantly: voicing "suspicions" on that front without any real evidence should be considered very bad form. It's rude, and it's uncalled for.

In the make thread, a certain user has in a few days linked me to racist extremism(!) because I expressed support for the concept of "proper grammar" (apperently, this is racist, classist and evil), and that same user has now suggested that another user has secret motivations for posting a Future History map that has left-wing ('SJW') types doing some pretty evil things. In both cases, this accuser pulled the same stunt, which boils down to "disclaiming" the accusation by writing "I'm not accusing you..." -- which is belied by the fact that the accusation is very heavily implied nonetheless. This particular tactic comes across as quite under-handed, and seems aimed at forcing people into self-censorship by linking them to unsavoury political ideals.

As far as i'm concerned, if you disagree with the content of a scenario, you should either dispute the plausibility of it... or just ignore it. But there's no justification for the casting of aspersions about someone's character or intentions. If someone starts such a witchj-hunt anyway, mod action against that kind of tactic would be very much appreciated-- at least by me, but I rather suspect by many others as well.

2. Zagan Donor

@Skallagrim
    That is a wonderful idea. I support it fully.

Skallagrim likes this.
  3. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

You're right, this is the wrong place. Your passive-aggressive dramamongering is 100% uncalled for.

4. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

If someone is, in fact, accusing you of being a racist or whatever, feel free to report it. Please PM a mod if you think they need a fuller context of the situation. Do not post a passive-aggressive attack on the person you think is attacking you. If someone is, in fact, consistently making dark implications about your ulterior motives, that will be dealt with.

5. Skallagrim Not the one from YouTube. Different other fellow.

I did report it, and this is a genuine suggestion, not "drama-mongering". I really think it would be an improvement, and -- completely separate from any discussion or person -- I simplt wished and continue to wish to argue for it. If this is not the place to discuss such things, then could you pleae tell me where I should raise any such ideas so they may be discussed?

6. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

You could have made it separate from the drama-mongering, then. I saw your report. The full context was you launching into an attack one someone who fairly gently criticized an extremely silly map as transparently political, which to me seemed a very accurate description. Into this you dragged a bunch of drama connected to something entirely unrelated, then you dragged all that drama into another thread.

I will assume you were acting in good faith, since that's what you're asking for here, and take your request as an actual idea for rules rather than a passive-aggressive attack on someone who annoyed you. I think it is perfectly reasonable for someone to refer to a map in which all Republicans are herded onto reservations as "Nazi sympathizers" and that talks about white genocide in southern Africa with "I'm not necessarily accusing you of having these sorts of politics, but your dystopian scenario certainly reflects a lot of the anxieties of people who do have them" and there is absolutely no way in hell that the rules are going to be changed so that you can't call a spade a spade.

7. Nicholai IV Vonskrieger Emperor and Autocrat of the Draconian Imperium

Just a quick question, I wanted to do a timeline about a successful June Revolution. However, I wanted to use the Les Miserables characters as important centerpiece of the time line. Should this timeline go in ASB or the normal Pre-1900 stuff?

8. Kalga Yell's Shipyard

Perhaps that should be in the fandom subforum, given the usage of copyrighted characters.

Zagan likes this.
  9. Nicholai IV Vonskrieger Emperor and Autocrat of the Draconian Imperium

Thank you!

10. Evan Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness!

Quiet Resistance, People's Republic of Cascadia
    Well, if @Nicholai IV Vonskrieger 's using the original characters from Hugo's novel, the copyright has long expired. Or, if they're alluded to or show up as minor characters, I don't think the main forums would be inappropriate - look at all the references in Thande's magnificent Look to the West.
    But for a story majorly involving characters from the recent musical... I agree, Fandom.

Zagan likes this.
  11. Nicholai IV Vonskrieger Emperor and Autocrat of the Draconian Imperium

The timeline is going to be essentially a normal alternate history, it’s just that the characters, especially Enjolras, Combferre, and Courfeyrac are going to be some of the leaders of this New France. But once they die the story essentially becomes a normal AH

12. Evan Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness!

Quiet Resistance, People's Republic of Cascadia
    Sounds fun!

13. Look More Closely Later Gone fishing means 'responses unlikely'

I think it should probably go in fandom or writer's forum, if characters from something like Les Miserables are important and centre-stage. It sounds to me as if it is effectively a continuation of (edit: or point of divergence spin-off from) a pre-existing fictional universe, albeit one very similar to our own.

Zagan likes this.
  14. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

That's a really clever idea! It doesn't fit neatly anywhere, but I'd say Pre-1900 is the best fit.

No. That is most definitely not what the fandom forum is for. "Passing mention of a fictional universe" does not merit being moved to fandom.

Lord_Vespasian, Indicus, Evan and 2 others like this.
  15. Look More Closely Later Gone fishing means 'responses unlikely'

Hmmm. So a late 1930's/early 1940's timeline where Sir Roderick Spode* is Prime Minister of a fascist Britain and Bertie Wooster has been appointed as ambassador to Imperial Japan (and the latter along with Jeeves has duly headed for Tokyo) is something you'd be good with in post-1900?

Edit:
    * Presumably he doesn't inherit the hereditary peerage and remains much more involved in politics.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  16. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

That's a very weird hypothetical, but if it was mostly a timeline about fascist Britain that happened to incorporate fictional characters, that would be fine.

King_Arthur, Evan and The Tai-Pan like this.
  17. Look More Closely Later Gone fishing means 'responses unlikely'

Literally the first fictional British fascist I could think of was Roderick Spode...

18. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

Depends on the tone of the work overall, but I can honestly see that working quite well. Obviously not if it's too serious, and would probably be best not to focus on Britain in too great of detail, but there's nothing wrong with borrowing fictional characters for a fictional work.

19. Caravels of Portugal Well-Known Member

Why revenge fantasies are out of the line for conduct in the forums?

Zagan likes this.
  20. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Because they tend to be:

1. Flame bait
    2. of no use whatsoever in intelligent conversation
    3. Ian has so decreed it.

There are any number of sites where one may, nay, where one is encouraged to revel in revenge fantasies. This site is not one of them.

King_Arthur, Pkmatrix and Zagan like this.