Public Forum

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Ian the Admin, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Wolttaire Well-Known Member

when can we start voting and where?

2. TC9078 Empire

They start in February of every year. When it starts, you'll know, it'll be stickied at the top of all the subfora on the board.

3. Gwrtheyrn Annwn A Welshman at Heart

They actually can start at various points between late December and February. For instance, last year was in February but the year before was earlier.

4. Red Arturoist Napoleon II. Donor

This was (I think) not about Plagiarism - which is prohibited - but about misusing Wikipedia (or other sources) to belittle or justify the mass murdering in the Congo Free State (Leopold II.'s private possession).

5. Wolttaire Well-Known Member

recently saw that someone said the asb forum has a very bad rap? does anyone know why?

6. Shevek23 Spherical Cow-poke

Some good stuff has been written in ASB, and some moderators have said so.

When I was pretty new to the site though I felt that there were a lot of people who badly abused the concept by using it to shout down political or social possibilities that were hardly ruled out by hard natural realities; it was just their essentially political opinion that X Y or Z would be "unthinkable." So they would freely say, "This is ASB!" and while I wish they wouldn't and felt that is at best a misunderstanding of what ASB is about (at worst a disingenuous ploy to enforce political opinions they could not hope to prevail with if debated frankly to silence consideration of other possibilities than those admitted in their limited world view), they could say that in a metaphorical sense, as a withering cry of shame for lack of plausibility.

But not everyone would stop there. Some would say stuff like "Won't the moderators please move this to ASB?" (If it was their sober judgement it was ASB, the way to accomplish that is to Report it and not engage in the thread until it is moved, so I felt this was mainly a dickish form of intimidation. And if I see someone doing it again, I will Report it and not engage in thread). Fortunately it seems that over the years this ugly practice of intimidation has been abandoned. But the truth was, certainly then ASB had a reputation as a swamp of sloppiness and generic inferiority.

Also, the forum is blocked from public view. I have it on the authority of a PM of the site owner that he does not feel it does the site credit, and so will not make it available to public view...I got the distinct impression we were lucky he offered it for members at all, just to shut a large number of them up. So I tend to tiptoe around this subject, valuing quite a few TLs in the category. Although I have to admit, I too think that statistically speaking these diamonds are not common...but neither are they in the "respectable" publicly viewed fora.

At that time, also, ASB was one forum that included many others that have been branched off since. Since it included fanfic of published, copyrighted works, I wondered if there might be legal liability issues resolved by keeping it private.

7. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

ASB has, over the years, been somewhat... uneven in quality. There was the dreaded "creepy teen" era, when ASB was filled with threads that were mostly indescribably awful lewd and somehow shockingly boring all at the same time. This is also occasionally referred to as the "pass the brain bleach" or "I don't think I can get into Heaven now" interlude.

Then there was the "lets kill everyone in the goriest way possible" epoch, best to be said for that era is YIKES. It ended only when mass death scenarios were declared unclean.

That was followed by the invasion of the Fan fictions which drove everything else, including actual ASB threads into the wilderness. This continued for a couple years until Ian added the Fandom and Media & Fandom Forums.

ASB is actually pretty interesting now, although it took a lot of effort, mainly by BKW, to get it into the corral.

8. Barry Bull Donor

As long as it is not the OK Corral...

Leon Trotsky and Xenophonte like this.
  9. cpip Penguin Wrangler

East of the Rockies, West of the Appalachians
    ASBWI: EVERY WORLD LEADER ISOTTED TO THE OK CORRAL WITH SIX-GUNS

10. King_Arthur The Once and Present King

Question: If I posted a FH that started with the 2022 French Election, would it be current politics?

11. King_Arthur The Once and Present King

Anyone?

12. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

It would be. And bumping IS BAD.

King_Arthur likes this.
  13. King_Arthur The Once and Present King

Sorry, I know it's acceptable in some cases. I won't do it again.

14. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Do it without violating Board policy. As an extreme example it would be a Bad Thing if every "Christian" Country was at 23rd Century Star Trek literal "whatever you want via replicator" post scarcity tech levels while every Islamic Country was at 650 AD tech levels.

15. Kaiser Chris Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico

So apparently Perfidious Albion's thread "Scream Against the Storm" was locked on Fandom even though Albion himself has not committed any offense. To @CalBear did Albion himself request for the thread to close, or is it closed because people keeping reviving it every couple of months without any authorial input or update?

halfcoop likes this.
  16. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

OP request.

halfcoop and Kaiser Chris like this.
  17. frustrated progressive Insert Witticism Here Monthly Donor

Traffic,Heat,Crime,Poverty, Still Paradise (LA)
    Is anti-Stratfordianism considered a punishable conspiracy theory?

18. Vylinius Long Ranting Intensifies

I was curious about where a thread for a timeline based on Frostpunk should go? Should it be posted in the Fandom subforum or the ASB subforum?

19. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Fandom

20. cthululives Member

I was wondering if there's a way to gauge interest in a collaborative fandom AH before making a thread. I don't want to set something up, only for it to turn out nobody wants to contribute.