Public Forum

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Ian the Admin, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Look More Closely Later Probably off in a HP ff AU...

I am not a mod, and cannot speak for what any given mod will do. As I understand it however, it is not a good idea to post in a thread if you are advised by the built in warning feature 'do not post in this thread unless you are continuing the timeline', and as I say there are some posters who have threads on alert who do not take kindly to one liner 'is there going to be an update?' posts.
    Again, I would advise you to privately contact a timeline writer if there is no specific indication in a thread about how long an update will be from them.

The Professor and Wolttaire like this.
  2. Shevek23 Spherical Cow-poke

I've seen other sites where such warnings are advisory. They really aren't here; it is a hard line. The author of a thread, I believe, has a right to restart a story years and years down the line, but no one else should ever post there once one of those red barriers go up, which they do automatically in a certain amount of time.

At that, given that the site has been strict about this for longer than I have been here, we are lucky the new software does that automatically. It used to be anyone's guess how old is "old." Two weeks? A month? A year? It was never clear to me and I'm just lucky I never blithely commented on some ancient thread not noticing how old it was...or come to think of it maybe I did once or twice.

Now we have a clear banner right where comments would go warning anyone not to do it, and the only reason an honest person would is experience with other sites that put up with it. This one is not those sites, and they really don't like it. That's what they mean by the warning. Take it literally.

3. Cockroach Eddy Tracks Donor

I refer you to:
    :openedeyewink:

4. loneranger Well-Known Member

Trying to share an excel file. Is that something that is possible on here?

5. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

It is really simple.

Wait and see if the author updates. If he does, happy days. If he doesn't, such is life. Don't post in the thread. I would suggest you don't even PM the author more than once.

cpip likes this.
  6. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

The Mods can not Kick or Ban each other, or themselves for that matter (tried it when someone was going on Vacation and wanted the "gone fishing" header, no go).

Ian can, I believe, Kick or Ban the Mods. Since he has full Admin access even if he wwre to kick/Ban himself it would not really do anything (except confuse the Hell out of people).

The Tai-Pan and Wolttaire like this.
  7. Donald Reaver Still alive Donor

If I recall correctly it did the one time he hit the wrong button.

nbcman likes this.
  8. nbcman Donor

9. SaveAtlacamani Napoleon the Red Donor

I can't post in a specific thread currently, without the thread being locked or anything else. I see an error message: "The error code is in the JavaScript Console".

EDIT: By now, I tested around some more, and it is a specific post that is problematic. And this post attempt yields an error message even in another thread.

10. Evan Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness!

Quiet Resistance, People's Republic of Cascadia
    @SaveAtlacamani , are you trying to post computer code or anything that you think might look like it? (Including BBcode or square brackets.) If so, I'd guess that's the problem.

11. SaveAtlacamani Napoleon the Red Donor

How do I see this? I already tried to remove all formatting.

12. SaveAtlacamani Napoleon the Red Donor

@Evan , when I tried to expand the window with the post in it, I got a warning from my Antivirus. It is BitDefender, the newest version, and I have Windows 7, 64 bit.

13. SaveAtlacamani Napoleon the Red Donor

Floréal 12/Forkithal 19, 12066: The first regular elections in the European Workers' Union take place. Actually, they are elections in all of the seven constituent Republics at the same time.

Peru Nolaskoain, Francesco Caputo, Raúl de Tómas, and Tommaso Fogli are safely reelected. In Catalunya, Lluis Hermanos is only narrowly reelected, by 1,9 %.
    However, in France, a relatively unknown politician from the Nature Supporters' Syndicate, Stephanie-Juliette Makhloufi, wins the election with 0,4 % before Gaël Germany of the French Workers' Syndicate. In Portugal, Bruma from the CGTP (Confederação Geral dos Trabalhadores Portugueses) loses out to Antonia Lucía Amaral de Sâ from the Social Liberal Syndicate of Portugal.

14. SaveAtlacamani Napoleon the Red Donor

@Evan , after I klicked on "ignore the warning" by BitDefender, I could post this normally. So somehow, BitDefender somehow suspected an "attack on your privacy" in my post. And no, none of the names is my own or any name I would have on my computer.

EDIT: I did now manage to post the post, with formatting (bold and colouring), in the correct location.

15. imperatorx25 New Member

Hi I'm new in this forum, so i have this idea in mind (it is actually a timeline challenge for others to explore or write on), it includes sci fi elements from the anime series Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so where I could post this idea I have in mind?

16. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Fandom

TheDetailer and SaveAtlacamani like this.