Welcome back, @wolverinethad, and good update!
Officer John “Jack” Mallory, 30 years old, Anderson, South Carolina.
Oddly enough, his mother might still be alive, IMO (if she didn't die before the story events), as Anderson was not on the list of cities in South Carolina destroyed in The Exchange, and it has a bonus: it's home to the Portman Shoals Power Plant, which is hydroelectric (it was one of the first cities in the South to have electricity, in 1897), so it is likely a center of relief efforts in the Upstate region of South Carolina...

Wonder how all this will turn out...

Last edited:
Looking at the Wikibox on the previous page I read about the "Munich Armistice". I'm surprised Munich survived intact much less that after an exchange of this intensity there was any political/diplomatic leadership on either side to sign such an agreement.
The Munich Agreement is part of the original timeline. Surprisingly, the city did survive and it is where surviving Western and Soviet diplomats signed an official end to World War III.
15 of July, evening - Swiss aerial reconnaissance had positively identified four mobile launchers in the vicinity of Munich. This confirmation that the weapons are not mere hearsay brings the internal conflict in CHANTICLEER to boiling point.

16 July - An emergency meeting of the UK emergency cabinet is called in the early hours of the morning, during which Whitelaw is temporarily relinquished of his post as debate over the Second Munich Crisis reaches a crescendo.

Late July - Operation Anthony launched, with the goal of using the remaining nuclear-equipped bombers of the RAF to obliterate the surviving Soviet troops in Munich. In mid-flight, all bombers are called off to return to their bases and the operation is cancelled.

10 August - The Munich armistice and peace treaty are signed between the governments of most major surviving combatant countries by their delegates and representatives. The Third World War is brought to an official end.

Writing the endgame...
I came back to this story the other day, realizing that I owed it to everyone to ensure a proper ending to the story, not least of all myself. The good news is that fresh eyes have helped immensely, and the writing is flowing. I expect it'll be 2-3 long chapters to wrap things up. I could let this thing sprawl forever, and I had the outline of a much greater storyline, but that does nobody any favors. I overextended myself by having three different projects running concurrently, and that wasn't fair to myself or the stories. The Protect and Survive universe has died down, but to me, it'll always be in the Pantheon of alternate history. A truly magnificent story and universe to write in. I'm honored I have been part of it and I wish I'd found it years sooner. It deserves to go out in a blaze of glory, so to say.

It's time to go back and finish the story of those who fought to defend freedom against the wolves of humanity in the aftermath of The Exchange. It is 1984. It is time to Protect and Survive.

Eboracum

Banned
One can only speculate how much stronger the P&S franchise might have been, had McCragge not been treated so atrociously. Such is the ego of an internet janitor.

Glad to see this finished at any rate!

Last edited:

ILPD45

Kicked
All right, here’s a comment that I wanted to make, but couldn’t because most of the P&S threads were so old that I would receive the “necro-post” warning. Well, now here’s my chance!

Anyway, a little while ago, out of curiosity I googled “February 21, 1984” and found a collection of New York Times headlines from that date in real life, linked here: https://www.nytimes.com/1984/02/21/nyregion/tuesday-february-21-1984-international.html

One of them in particular caught my eye:

“Strategic Air Command bombers armed with nuclear weapons are on 24-hour alert at 14 air bases around the country. At K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base in Upper Michigan, a 60-man crew is always on alert duty, ready to fly to possible targets in the Soviet Union, and the lives of the 9,300 military and civilian personnel center on the alert crews.”

How about THAT for a coincidence?

All right, here’s a comment that I wanted to make, but couldn’t because most of the P&S threads were so old that I would receive the “necro-post” warning. Well, now here’s my chance!

Anyway, a little while ago, out of curiosity I googled “February 21, 1984” and found a collection of New York Times headlines from that date in real life, linked here: https://www.nytimes.com/1984/02/21/nyregion/tuesday-february-21-1984-international.html

“Strategic Air Command bombers armed with nuclear weapons are on 24-hour alert at 14 air bases around the country. At K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base in Upper Michigan, a 60-man crew is always on alert duty, ready to fly to possible targets in the Soviet Union, and the lives of the 9,300 military and civilian personnel center on the alert crews.”

I pay for a Times subscription more for the archive than anything...

AT A SAC BASE, LIVING CENTERS ON STATE OF ALERT​

By Howard Blum
  • Feb. 21, 1984
If the world as we know it ends next week, Tech. Sgt. David Demmon figures ''there's a pretty good chance I'll have a front-row seat.''
He is not exaggerating.
Sergeant Demmon is a tail gunner on one of the six nuclear-armed B-52H's that are kept on 24-hour alert at the K. I. Sawyer Air Force Base here, ready to fly to targets in the Soviet Union.
Carved out of the rolling, jackpine- studded hills of Michigan's isolated Upper Peninsula, K. I. Sawyer is one of the 14 air bases in the country that have Strategic Air Command bombers armed with nuclear weapons.
On Feb. 1 the Air Force announced that it would spend $15 million to arm the B-52H's on this base with cruise missiles by 1986. Each cruise missile, capable of carrying a nuclear warhead, can be launched from a B-52H and fly more than 1,500 miles to strike a predetermined target. Two other bomber battalions already have planes outfitted with this weapon.

Triad of Deterrence

The nuclear-armed bombers on this base are part of what the Defense Department calls its triad of deterrence, which also includes land-based intercontinental ballistic missiles and ballistic missiles launched from nuclear-powered submarines.
''But while the bombers here are the most expensive weapon to keep in business,'' said Major Geoffrey H. Smith, the information officer at K. I. Sawyer, ''it's also the most flexible trick we've got up our sleeve. When the Russians rattle their sabers, we can get the B-52's in the air to show them we mean business and then we can call off the fireworks and come on home.''
Each of the three alert crews at K.I. Sawyer spends seven days every three weeks on around-the-clock duty ''inside the fence.''
This is what the airmen call the alert compound, an area the length of 10 football fields set off by a high fence and patrolled by Air Force security police armed with M-16's.

Home of the Alert Crew

In a corner of this area stands the liverish-yellow alert facility, the 60- man alert crew's home for the week. And across from this, arranged at nearly 45-degree angles to the center runway, are six camouflaged B-52H's. Each bomber has a crew of six. Near the long, sleek bombers are six bulkier KC-135 Stratotankers, capable of refueling the bombers in midair. The tankers have four- man crews.
On the third Thursday of every month at 7 A.M., Sergeant Demmon begins his tour inside the fence. ''It's the most excruciating boredom,'' he said. ''I mean all we're doing is waiting for the klaxon to ring telling us it's time to fly off to Armageddon.''
To relieve some of this boredom, Major Smith said, alert crews are allowed to leave the compound to visit certain areas of the 5,278-acre base.
However, each bomber crew must travel as a unit in blue vans the airmen call ''six-packs.''
Throughout the base, which houses more than 9,300 military personnel and their dependents, there are blue-and- yellow signs marking reserved parking for alert crews or giving the vans the right of way on the base's roads.

''This whole thing in the middle of nowhere,'' said Sergeant Demmon, gesturing around him, ''is really set up to support the 180 men who fly the bombers and their tankers.''

Weapons and Snowmobiles
A tour of the base further emphasizes the incongruities in a community that is caught up in its north woods winter isolation and is also one of the nation's nuclear strike centers.
Near the entrance to the base there is a barbed-wire-topped fence surrounding a row of bunker-like structures. On the fence is a discreet sign, ''Weapons Storage Center.'' There is no hint that nuclear bombs are stockpiled behind the barbed wire. Just beyond, in large black letters against a yellow background, is a more ordinary caution: ''Warning! Snowmobile Crossing.''
Each day bomber crewmen pass the Jack and Jill Recreational Center where children have erected a snow sculpture of the earth under a banner, ''It's a Small World After All.''
At the base's movie theater, where the last two rows are always reserved for the alert crews, the feature is ''Strange Invaders.'' 'The End of Our Bookcase'
Sergeant Demmon, still on alert, was in the base's arts and crafts center with his crew recently.
He and his wife, Dorothy, who had come to meet him there, were trying to turn a birch log they had dragged from the woods weeks ago into a bookcase. ''If the call came right now,'' Sergeant Demmon said in response to a question, ''I would have no qualms about flying off on a mission, even if it meant having to use nuclear weapons. I would be doing what the American people want me to do. I'd be helping to keep the peace.''
His wife was less enthusiastic. ''If the alert rang,'' she said after a moment's consideration, ''I guess that would be the end of everything. The end of our bookcase. Everything.''
''But,'' Sergeant Demmon quickly interrupted, ''that's why I'm part of this team here. To prevent there ever being an end to everything. To make sure that the bookcases and furniture you and I make can be passed down to our kids. You understand that don't you, honey?''
She smiled at her husband, and they resumed sanding their birch log. Outside the shop, the blue van was parked with an airman at the wheel waiting to drive Sergeant Demmon's crew to a nuclear-armed bomber if the call came.

ILPD45

Kicked

By Howard Blum
  • Feb. 21, 1984
If the world as we know it ends next week, Tech. Sgt. David Demmon figures ''there's a pretty good chance I'll have a front-row seat.''
He is not exaggerating.
Sergeant Demmon is a tail gunner on one of the six nuclear-armed B-52H's that are kept on 24-hour alert at the K. I. Sawyer Air Force Base here, ready to fly to targets in the Soviet Union.
Carved out of the rolling, jackpine- studded hills of Michigan's isolated Upper Peninsula, K. I. Sawyer is one of the 14 air bases in the country that have Strategic Air Command bombers armed with nuclear weapons.
On Feb. 1 the Air Force announced that it would spend $15 million to arm the B-52H's on this base with cruise missiles by 1986. Each cruise missile, capable of carrying a nuclear warhead, can be launched from a B-52H and fly more than 1,500 miles to strike a predetermined target. Two other bomber battalions already have planes outfitted with this weapon.

Triad of Deterrence

The nuclear-armed bombers on this base are part of what the Defense Department calls its triad of deterrence, which also includes land-based intercontinental ballistic missiles and ballistic missiles launched from nuclear-powered submarines.
''But while the bombers here are the most expensive weapon to keep in business,'' said Major Geoffrey H. Smith, the information officer at K. I. Sawyer, ''it's also the most flexible trick we've got up our sleeve. When the Russians rattle their sabers, we can get the B-52's in the air to show them we mean business and then we can call off the fireworks and come on home.''
Each of the three alert crews at K.I. Sawyer spends seven days every three weeks on around-the-clock duty ''inside the fence.''
This is what the airmen call the alert compound, an area the length of 10 football fields set off by a high fence and patrolled by Air Force security police armed with M-16's.

Home of the Alert Crew

In a corner of this area stands the liverish-yellow alert facility, the 60- man alert crew's home for the week. And across from this, arranged at nearly 45-degree angles to the center runway, are six camouflaged B-52H's. Each bomber has a crew of six. Near the long, sleek bombers are six bulkier KC-135 Stratotankers, capable of refueling the bombers in midair. The tankers have four- man crews.
On the third Thursday of every month at 7 A.M., Sergeant Demmon begins his tour inside the fence. ''It's the most excruciating boredom,'' he said. ''I mean all we're doing is waiting for the klaxon to ring telling us it's time to fly off to Armageddon.''
To relieve some of this boredom, Major Smith said, alert crews are allowed to leave the compound to visit certain areas of the 5,278-acre base.
However, each bomber crew must travel as a unit in blue vans the airmen call ''six-packs.''
Throughout the base, which houses more than 9,300 military personnel and their dependents, there are blue-and- yellow signs marking reserved parking for alert crews or giving the vans the right of way on the base's roads.

''This whole thing in the middle of nowhere,'' said Sergeant Demmon, gesturing around him, ''is really set up to support the 180 men who fly the bombers and their tankers.''

Weapons and Snowmobiles
A tour of the base further emphasizes the incongruities in a community that is caught up in its north woods winter isolation and is also one of the nation's nuclear strike centers.
Near the entrance to the base there is a barbed-wire-topped fence surrounding a row of bunker-like structures. On the fence is a discreet sign, ''Weapons Storage Center.'' There is no hint that nuclear bombs are stockpiled behind the barbed wire. Just beyond, in large black letters against a yellow background, is a more ordinary caution: ''Warning! Snowmobile Crossing.''
Each day bomber crewmen pass the Jack and Jill Recreational Center where children have erected a snow sculpture of the earth under a banner, ''It's a Small World After All.''
At the base's movie theater, where the last two rows are always reserved for the alert crews, the feature is ''Strange Invaders.'' 'The End of Our Bookcase'
Sergeant Demmon, still on alert, was in the base's arts and crafts center with his crew recently.
He and his wife, Dorothy, who had come to meet him there, were trying to turn a birch log they had dragged from the woods weeks ago into a bookcase. ''If the call came right now,'' Sergeant Demmon said in response to a question, ''I would have no qualms about flying off on a mission, even if it meant having to use nuclear weapons. I would be doing what the American people want me to do. I'd be helping to keep the peace.''
His wife was less enthusiastic. ''If the alert rang,'' she said after a moment's consideration, ''I guess that would be the end of everything. The end of our bookcase. Everything.''
''But,'' Sergeant Demmon quickly interrupted, ''that's why I'm part of this team here. To prevent there ever being an end to everything. To make sure that the bookcases and furniture you and I make can be passed down to our kids. You understand that don't you, honey?''
She smiled at her husband, and they resumed sanding their birch log. Outside the shop, the blue van was parked with an airman at the wheel waiting to drive Sergeant Demmon's crew to a nuclear-armed bomber if the call came.

Wow, how about that - on the day of “The Exchange”, this article appeared on that same date in real life.

Needless to say, I’m sure the U.P. got hit hard in the P&S-verse…

By Howard Blum
  • Feb. 21, 1984
He is not exaggerating.

Triad of Deterrence

Home of the Alert Crew

Weapons and Snowmobiles

Wow, how about that - on the day of “The Exchange”, this article appeared on that same date in real life.

Needless to say, I’m sure the U.P. got hit hard in the P&S-verse…
Well the POD for P&S is in late October 1983 when there was a protest in the East Berlin border that saw shots being fired at Checkpoint Charlie and an RPG nearly hitting a French Army position on West Berlin. It did not start WWIII just yet, but relations between East and West were on an all time low compared to OTL.

The big butterflies weren't felt yet until January 1984 when Soviet Tu-95s started flying near U.S. airspace. Which we saw F-14s shoot down one of the Tu-95s prior to NYE 1984.

The SAC bombers would have been on high alert since October 1983. Consider too that the Lebanon bombings, the invasion of Grenada, and Able Archer still happen on time ITTL.

Also @wolverinethad, can you quote us this article about the U.S. and China having a joint op on spying on Soviet nuclear tests from ELINT/SIGINT posts in Xinjiang?
The article:

Some context:

Well the POD for P&S is in late October 1983 when there was a protest in the East Berlin border that saw shots being fired at Checkpoint Charlie and an RPG nearly hitting a French Army position on West Berlin. It did not start WWIII just yet, but relations between East and West were on an all time low compared to OTL.

The big butterflies weren't felt yet until January 1984 when Soviet Tu-95s started flying near U.S. airspace. Which we saw F-14s shoot down one of the Tu-95s prior to NYE 1984.

The SAC bombers would have been on high alert since October 1983. Consider too that the Lebanon bombings, the invasion of Grenada, and Able Archer still happen on time ITTL.

Also @wolverinethad, can you quote us this article about the U.S. and China having a joint op on spying on Soviet nuclear tests from ELINT/SIGINT posts in Xinjiang?
The article:

Some context:
It was the logical outgrowth of Nixon's opening. Both countries had interest in monitoring the tests. China provided the proximity, we provided the equipment. Started in 1980, ended with Tiananmen.

Chapter 71
May 1, 1984
Fort Myers, Florida

The last two weeks had been spent marshalling equipment and training the Guardsmen in executing a combined arms assault. They'd spent much of the past year practicing how to hold positions against Soviet armor, using hit-and-run tactics to fire antitank weapons, mount and dismount from M113s on the run. This was going to be something wholly different. Not only would they be in a firefight with irregulars, but it was going to be in the midst of a city filled with wealth in a world where the concept had disappeared from many parts of it. One of the Guardsmen remarked that living in South America was probably a billion times better than whatever was left of Florida they were “defending.” That remark was overheard by his sergeant, resulting in a substantial tongue-lashing but nothing more. Even the sergeant knew this mission carried little upside for them.

Don Ewing had learned a lot in the last two months, though. A by-the-book major when he was assigned to his position in Fort Myers, he’d recognized there was no book anymore, just survival. They had lots of rifles and ammunition, but almost nothing for armor. That would be serious trouble if they were facing LAWs. Ewing decided it was worth rolling the dice to try and counteract that threat. He convinced Seal to fly to Arcadia, the location of the Guard depot where his detachment had all loaded up before deploying. It was high-stakes, the major knew. He was risking a valuable asset (two, really, the helicopter and its skilled pilot) for this, but if he was lucky, it would yield the results he was looking for. Seal flew there, avoiding any population centers before Arcadia, and with Mallory riding shotgun to survey the depot with high-power binoculars, they were able to establish that the armory was intact. Seal carefully landed, and their backseat passenger, a captain, stepped out. There was a ragtag guard force, which actually saluted him. Arcadia was only about 5,000 people, making it a wonderful place to station an equipment depot, and they were remote enough to not be troubled by refugees. One of the guards took the captain inside the depot, where an aged officer wearing Korean War-era fatigues was sitting. The men traded salutes and sat down to talk. The Korean War vet had been drafted and won a battlefield commission late in the war to lieutenant. Soon after the armistice was signed, he was demobilized and came back home to his family’s citrus farm. When the nukes flew, he donned his old fatigues and went to the sheriff’s office. Like Fort Myers, Arcadia was a county seat. The sheriff asked him to round up some volunteers and secure the depot, which he’d done. The old lieutenant had been here every day since, only going home at night to have dinner with his wife and sleep a few hours.

The captain could not believe his good fortune. Arcadia was believed to have narrowly escaped fallout from all of the blasts across Central Florida. He’d fully expected to take fire at best and be shot out of the sky at worst from angry small-town southerners who had access to an arms depot, but this sixty-something-year-old man still remembered his oath and kept it all these years later. The Guard captain asked if he could be let into the vehicle shed (it was really much larger, but shed was the terminology the military used) and the lieutenant obliged. Once inside, he found what he was looking for. Together, the officers searched for the keys to unlock them, and found them inside of a desk drawer in the quartermaster’s office. The captain climbed inside the first vehicle and pushed the button while saying a prayer. The old diesel engine rumbled to life. The captain smiled broadly. Those Cuban bastards won’t know what hit them. He turned the engine off and dismounted to find the old lieutenant with a tear in his eye. “These things saved my life a few times in ‘53 in Korea. Never thought I’d see them run again in my lifetime.” The captain nodded. “Lieutenant, we’re going to come back with a proper troop to take these with us. If you have anyone here who knows how to service them, we’d greatly appreciate it.” “Gladly, captain,” the lieutenant replied. “Why do you need them, though?”

The captain’s visage turned serious. “There’s a bunch of Cuban mercenaries that have control of Naples. Couple of former CIA guys helping them, too. We can’t have that. They’re heavily armed with stolen reserve equipment. Rockets, rifles, machine guns. If this works, it’ll be all the difference.” The lieutenant saluted. “Sir, we’ll give you anything we can. In fact, there’s a bunch of infantry mortars I found a few weeks ago while I was inventorying everything here. They’re about as old as me, but the beautiful thing about mortars is you don’t have to do much to use them effectively.” A closet door was opened and there were a half-dozen launchers and several shelves of mortar shells. The captain looked at the plate containing the manufacturer’s information. “Fucking hell!” Stokes 3-Inch Mortar, NFF No 24, Balmoral Road, Watford. 1917. The lieutenant laughed. “I said it was about as old as me. It’s a little older than me, in fact, but the beautiful thing about these is that if they’re well-kept, they’ll last forever. These were created for trench warfare, in miserable conditions. I took one out across the road, there’s nothing for miles going north of here, and tested a couple out with the boys. It works, Captain. You could use all the help you can get. Go kill some Commie bastards for me, will ya?” The two men saluted each other, and the captain went back to the helicopter with one of the mortar launchers and a box with a dozen shells. He laughed to himself. Proof of concept.

Manny Rivera had spent much of the past two weeks overseeing his ex-Agency men as they themselves oversaw the creation of defensive positions around Naples. That, and sneaking off whenever he could with Brigitte to bang each other’s brains out. As it transpired, she had been introduced to the former Wall Street trader when he was in Miami on business before the war, and he was so taken by her that he offered her a substantial sum of money to be his “assistant” in Naples, which entailed various assignments charming those that needed to be charmed, and illicit rendezvous when his wife was distracted or asleep. Brigitte enjoyed sex, and Preuss was not bad at it, but she’d become growingly appalled at sneaking around his clearly unaware wife. Manny was her assignment, and she’d decided that gave her an out if Preuss questioned her about how much time she spent with him. That wasn’t an issue yet, and was unlikely to become one anytime soon.

The CIA veterans recognized that there was no way to handle the sprawl east of the airport without making their task impossible, and they prevailed upon Manny to have a meeting with “King Solomon” about requiring people to move inwards west of Livingston Road. That would be the line to hold. There were four east-west thoroughfares, with very clean, open lines of sight. Three of them intersected with Livingston, with plenty of small canals and other terrain inhospitable for attacking in between, which made defending them easier. The fourth, Route 84, intersected with U.S. 41 near the airport, and that would be one of the heaviest armed defense points. Along the north end, running down Pine Ridge Rd, was a barrier line, constructed with palm trees that had been felled, fencing, and tour buses that were parked to obstruct U.S. 41 and Goodlette-Frank Rd. U.S. 41 at Pine Ridge Rd was the other heavily armed defense point—it was the obvious point of advance for any force coming south from Fort Myers. The north U.S. 41 guard post featured three machine guns, an RPG, and a rifle team. The south U.S. 41 post near the airport had an M60 machine gun, an RPG, and a rifle team as well. The airport would be the place for a last stand, should it occur. The remaining two RPGs and two machine guns were there, along with a quick response team that Matt Phillips and Mike Carr designed. Two vans, each with riflemen and SMGs, and each van would have one of the riflemen using the M203 attachment on the M16 rifle. The positive aspect is that while they had to guard the south/east approaches to the city, they could keep smaller teams there. It was highly unlikely that anyone with firepower would make it through the Everglades from the radioactive wasteland of Greater Miami, so much so that Carr said it was “near zero.” This was probably an understatement.

By the end of April, Naples had been well fortified. Anyone who had been living outside of the perimeter was sent a letter notifying them they could leave their property, come inside the protective ring, and be guaranteed food and safety. If they chose to stay in their home outside of the cordon sanitaire, they were on their own. A few chose to stay, mainly those who had stockpiled food and ammunition and were known to be loner types. The rest left their homes and moved behind the lines. There were half-developed condominiums turned into makeshift apartments for families with plywood and tarp. Adult men were expected to work, either with building fortifications (if they had skills in engineering, carpentry, or construction), and bolstering security patrols (if they did not have any skill sets). Solomon Preuss, chosen by his peers (the wealthy citizens) and accepted by the elected officials, became a sort of generalissimo, with authority to have the final say on any decision. The mayor was handling the day-to-day items, but anything big meant that the mayor came to Preuss. The man resented having been suborned, not as much as the police chief did, but both of them recognized that the man they’d welcomed a few short weeks ago as a savior of sorts was in the pockets of the gentleman scientist, and having Manny Rivera in your pocket meant his weapons and men were there too. The lack of help from the actual government and the sense of siege mentality that developed amongst the largely well-to-do population when it became clear Fort Myers had abandoned any pretense of working together translated into broad support for declaring a sort of independence.

Without military radios, there was no communication to Gainesville, so their only knowledge of this situation was through Ewing in Fort Myers. That would be very useful, from his end, but it also made it extremely unlikely that the situation could be resolved in a peaceful fashion. Rivera, Carr and Phillips specifically were wedded to a situation in which they maintained power and freedom. Rivera knew that surrender or losing would be death. Carr and Phillips were unsure—on one hand, what they were doing could be considered treason; on the other, they had a skill set invaluable to this world—and figuring out which was more likely was an exercise they were comfortable with. Regardless, even if there was an ability for Gainesville to communicate and make the Naples leadership feel as if the state cared about them, the reality was that they didn’t have it, and so two cities would go to war because of the manipulations of Manny Rivera and the multimillionaire banker cum scientist Solomon Preuss.

There was one more person with a part to play in this drama. Major Ewing called on Chief Stewart at the police station, and Stewart radioed for Detective Klima to return to the station. When Klima walked into the chief’s office, he saw the Major sitting there and knew something was up. “Sirs, why do I feel like I’m about to get some news I’ve no desire to receive?” Ewing smiled at that. “Well, Captain Klima, I am drafting you back to service,” Ewing replied. “Put bluntly, we’re going to be launching an operation against Manny Rivera and company within 48 hours. To ensure our success in this endeavor, I’ve managed to retrieve two M48A3 Pattons from the armory in Arcadia. I need you commanding one of them. I know you were in the M60 in Germany. This is older, but it’s diesel, has a 105mm cannon and a .25 caliber MG, and dimensions are roughly equivalent. From what Mr. Seal has told us, they’ve got RPGs and MGs, and the A3 was built to handle those in ‘Nam. I am only going to use them if we can’t break through whatever resistance they might have. It doesn’t sound like they’re hostages in Naples, so God knows what we’re going to be facing. I want to make sure we’re able to handle any of it. I have to have you in one of those tanks.” A mass of emotions ran through the tall body of the detective, but ultimately there was only one response. Jan Klima drew himself to attention and saluted the Major. “Sir, yes sir!”

It was the logical outgrowth of Nixon's opening. Both countries had interest in monitoring the tests. China provided the proximity, we provided the equipment. Started in 1980, ended with Tiananmen.
China was the ideal place because Iran fell to the Ayotallahs in 1979. Prior to the Islamic Revolution, Iran under the Shah had CIA SIGINT/ELINT posts to snoop over Soviet nuclear sites in the other side of the border.

It continued despite Tiananmen, evident by this Washington Post article date June 25, 1989.

It ended in the early 1990s, possibly in 1992 when the DoD designated China as the OPFOR once more as stated by the following article below:

Last edited:
It's The Final Countdown....
Merry Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, or whatever you celebrate. I bring tidings of joy. The last installment, the final countdown, has been underway for days now. I'm taking my time with this one because I want to get it right. I will not be progressing through reconstruction, but I may do an epilogue depending on how I feel after writing the ending. It has been a wild six-plus year journey, and I will be glad to be done with it from the standpoint of being freed up to work more on my other stories.

My goal is to publish it on New Year's Eve. Stay tuned.