AFAIK they don't. 10Mt would probably involve a weapon delivered by B-52. Tactical weapons like those delivered by Pershing are in the kiloton range.
A 10Mt warhead would be a strategic system.

Tracked down the original reference in P&S. It talks of the weapon being a B.61 Mod 10 set for a yield of 10Mt. However that has to be a typo/mistake. The maximum yield of that weapon was 170 Kt.
Apparently there were mods that could boost it to 340KT - however, that's still a long, long way short of 10MT.

AFAIK they don't. 10Mt would probably involve a weapon delivered by B-52. Tactical weapons like those delivered by Pershing are in the kiloton range.
A 10Mt warhead would be a strategic system.

Tracked down the original reference in P&S. It talks of the weapon being a B.61 Mod 10 set for a yield of 10Mt. However that has to be a typo/mistake. The maximum yield of that weapon was 170 Kt.

So, yes, it did, and then @Chipperback repeated that in his T/L....I wrote it as 100 kt, then went back and saw the 10MT. I know it's wrong, but I don't know how to handle this situation. I want to fix it, y'know, but two authors both wrote it. If the consensus of the "old-timers" is to fix it, I'll gladly revert back to my original writing.

What is going to happen to those two downed Russian bomber pilots in Florida?

They're going to wish they hadn't ejected.

wolverinethad, as of right now, Jan and his group have about, oh, a 5-hour window to flee Miami; hope they make it out in time. Can't wait to see more...

Oh, and one more thing...
Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

This GIF has been cracking me up for years.

So, yes, it did, and then @Chipperback repeated that in his T/L....I wrote it as 100 kt, then went back and saw the 10MT. I know it's wrong, but I don't know how to handle this situation. I want to fix it, y'know, but two authors both wrote it. If the consensus of the "old-timers" is to fix it, I'll gladly revert back to my original writing.
I'd say revise it, but the high end of revision (150-300 KT sounds like enough to get attention and a reprisal shot from the Soviets). Your instinct looks sound.

Another lurker just wanting to compliment you on this work. Really terrifying. I was 13 in Tampa at the time of this. I look forward to more!

Jack sent me this a few years ago to clear up the Kassel raid

And wolverine has inspired me. To look at returning to Flatwater —
Perhaps as a Christmas gift :)

Macragge1 said:
Also, I must own up to having fucked up a little when I mentioned a 10MT device at Kassel in the main thread; what I actually meant was 10KT, though by the time my mistake had been pointed out it was too late for me to edit. Someone up-thread suggested the mistake could have been made by an anxious young radioman under pressure, and to be fair they weren't that wrong...;)

Last edited:
I think I've made this point before, but reading this flavor of P&S (and rereading some of the greatest hits of the original class) makes me wish I had found this place way sooner than I did because I would love to have been a part of it. I don't have a lot of subject-matter expertise in world history or military strategy or anything, but I could have made up for it with ... I guess relatively palatable writing? I dunno.

But yeah, great stuff as always. I've seen this world blow up 10 times already. Who else is ready for 11?

I think I've made this point before, but reading this flavor of P&S (and rereading some of the greatest hits of the original class) makes me wish I had found this place way sooner than I did because I would love to have been a part of it. I don't have a lot of subject-matter expertise in world history or military strategy or anything, but I could have made up for it with ... I guess relatively palatable writing? I dunno.

But yeah, great stuff as always. I've seen this world blow up 10 times already. Who else is ready for 11?

(ahem)

Why not give it a go, @Cyniclone ? There's plenty of room in this universe for contributors.

No.

Mad Max mixed in with a surviving Melbourne would be very interesting...

From what I can recall of the main narrative, Australia would be relatively untouched, so no call for Mad Max, especially in a time frame when we still had significant refineries.

Several Australian cities were destroyed, but they still got off lightly compared to, say, the Northern Hemisphere...