Good update.

There are several potential paths in what happens to Rivera. We could be thrown a curveball, though, so keep that in mind...

I'm not surprised by what Graham and the FAA did; those that survive (from the blasts and the fallout) are going to live to regret not taking those flights to the Caribbean. IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if Florida were bombed during the conventional phase of the war...

Edit: didn't know the Guard had been called up, wolverinethad...

Last edited:
Excellent story! Looking forward to more.

The Miami metro area from Port St. Lucie to Homestead is going to get seriously screwed, no doubt. I'd figure the whole area will eat at least 15-25 nukes with yields ranging from 100 kilotons to maybe 2-5 megatons. Especially worrisome is the fact that the Miami metro area is home to two nuclear power plants at opposite ends - one in Port St. Lucie and one in Turkey Point near Homestead AFB. If either or God Forbid, both get hit, then trade winds could scatter fallout from these plants (and also other groundbursts) westwards towards Fort Myers.

A quick look at Google maps does indeed show not a whole lot of highways going westwards, obviously because of the Everglades, so Rosa had better act fast if she's to make it the other side of Florida.

Fort Myers might not come out 100% unscathed, as Southwest Florida Regional Airport (IOTL, it was renamed Southwest Florida International Airport during the 1990s) and any US Coast Guard stations nearby could be potential targets for nukes. The reason I mention that airport is that it could serve as a backup base for US military aircraft out to strike Cuba and any Soviet air- and watercraft in that vicinity [1]. Otherwise, most of Fort Myers and area should come out intact. Whether or not any ICBM/SLBM warheads make it there or not, it will very likely end up becoming overwhelmed by refugees from the Miami and Tampa/St. Petersburg metro areas.

[1] Quite a number of civilian airports across the US and Canada and other NATO countries would be targeted, especially those with runways over 5,000 feet (for use by fighter aircraft) and also over 10,000 feet in length (for use by B-52 bombers - these require quite long runways, esp. if fully loaded).

Good update.

There are several potential paths in what happens to Rivera. We could be thrown a curveball, though, so keep that in mind...

I'm not surprised by what Graham and the FAA did; those that survive (from the blasts and the fallout) are going to live to regret not taking those flights to the Caribbean. IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if Florida were bombed during the conventional phase of the war...

Methinks the Florida National Guard and Air National Guard are going to be called up soon (maybe it starts after the Munich disaster)...

They were activated in full a while ago. Mid-December, I want to say, though it might have been right after the Christmas visit of the Cubans.

The Miami metro area from Port St. Lucie to Homestead is going to get seriously screwed, no doubt. I'd figure the whole area will eat at least 15-25 nukes with yields ranging from 100 kilotons to maybe 2-5 megatons. Especially worrisome is the fact that the Miami metro area is home to two nuclear power plants at opposite ends - one in Port St. Lucie and one in Turkey Point near Homestead AFB. If either or God Forbid, both get hit, then trade winds could scatter fallout from these plants (and also other groundbursts) westwards towards Fort Myers.

A quick look at Google maps does indeed show not a whole lot of highways going westwards, obviously because of the Everglades, so Rosa had better act fast if she's to make it the other side of Florida.

Fort Myers might not come out 100% unscathed, as Southwest Florida Regional Airport (IOTL, it was renamed Southwest Florida International Airport during the 1990s) and any US Coast Guard stations nearby could be potential targets for nukes. The reason I mention that airport is that it could serve as a backup base for US military aircraft out to strike Cuba and any Soviet air- and watercraft in that vicinity [1]. Otherwise, most of Fort Myers and area should come out intact. Whether or not any ICBM/SLBM warheads make it there or not, it will very likely end up becoming overwhelmed by refugees from the Miami and Tampa/St. Petersburg metro areas.

[1] Quite a number of civilian airports across the US and Canada and other NATO countries would be targeted, especially those with runways over 5,000 feet (for use by fighter aircraft) and also over 10,000 feet in length (for use by B-52 bombers - these require quite long runways, esp. if fully loaded).

IMO, Canadian Dragon, the Turkey Point and Port St. Lucie plants likely do not get hit; there's just so many other targets in South Florida and the Soviets likely don't target nuclear plants (if they didn't appear to target them in Britain in the original TL, there's no reason why they would target them in the U.S.).

Now, the best route for Rosa directly out of Miami to Fort Myers is US Route 41; it would go directly to Fort Myers. In addition, Adriana would probably be looking at the scenery of the Everglades (such as it is); it's been designated a National Scenic Byway. They should get there in a couple of hours, assuming, of course, there isn't a massive jam; the poor Everglades are going to have to deal with refugees.

Manny's hideout is in the western end of Miramar (which was not as built up in 1984 like it was now, probably), with an escape route on US 27. The good news is (if there is any good news for a bad guy like Manny), assuming the winds are blowing out to sea, he'd probably escape a lot of the radiation. OTOH, Miramar is going to be overrun with refugees, the injured, and the dying from Miami, so Manny might go into a new drug business--as a morphine dealer...

Miami-Dade and Broward are going to be hurting for sure. There's a decent chance that Port St. Lucie's nuclear plant will take a hit from what comes in there, but Turkey Point's remoteness will probably save it...why try to aim that precisely at something that is near nothing else of value?

As far as Fort Myers, that area has not been hit in canon and I have no intention of changing that. Considering that half of the Vulcan/Victor bases in England survived, I see no reason for such a tertiary target to be nuked. If you look back, I drew up a Nukemap picture in one of the earlier chapters (think it's on page 5--I've used threadmark for everything so people can jump between parts of the story while avoiding commentary). That covers the canon and understood targets that Florida got hit with.

@Unknown Manny is in Miramar for a reason. Not only was it less built up, but it's surrounded by the Everglades, unincorporated land, and lots of small lakes that water supplies can be stored from--the Agency men will be getting large drums and filling them with water from all the nearby lakes. The only directions survivors could likely come from is north/northeast and nobody is likely to head closer to Miami and Homestead. They'd keep going north. In this, the Agency men chose well. Between the only well-kept, armed and fed men and the lack of any other real control, Manny can easily exert power over the few survivors to the northeast in Coral Springs, Sunrise, and the west end of Davie. Think Tyler Tyles without the race war element.

Jan and Luis have 20 days left. It's a race against the clock. The main question is, is it enough?

Artaxerxes

Banned

Bob Graham had just received his security briefing of the day, which included the electronic intelligence that confirmed that the Soviets or their friends had shot down KLM 146. His first instinct was to curb all flights out of Florida to the Caribbean, but that wasn't in his purview. He did, however, call Ed Meese at the White House, who agreed with Graham's basic thought and set up a conference call with the FAA and the Secretary of Transportation, Elizabeth Dole. After discussing the issue, a compromise was reached that any flights leaving for Caribbean destinations were not allowed to fly within 50 miles of the Cuban coast and air defense zone, the end result was flights needing to head over the Atlantic and then turn south. Furthermore, Graham asked for and received permission from the Pentagon to have the Key West and Homestead air patrols work further offshore to protect air traffic. The irony of it all was that a substantial amount of people cancelled their trips after hearing about the shootdown, not wanting to get near Cuba in any way, shape, or form. Between this and lingering concerns from last fall's Grenada invasion, Caribbean tourism traffic came to a virtual standstill.

Three weeks later, those who survived would lament not having taken those flights.

Remind me how the Caribbean managed after the exchange? It has the potential to be either really good or really bad.

I can think of worse places to die than relaxing on the beach.

Remind me how the Caribbean managed after the exchange? It has the potential to be either really good or really bad.

I can think of worse places to die than relaxing on the beach.

Depends on the food&water situation, can enough fish been caught and/or is there enough potable water. If not, then you are in a place with nowhere to run and it could get really, really ugly... Starving people will eat anything, including "Long Pigs" aka other humans that don't belong to there group....

The Caribbean may indeed be the last place to want to end up. Just look at recent events. Post-exchange there will not be any help coming after a hurricane.

IMO, if you want an example of what southeast Florida will look like after the Exchange, watch Threads and the attack sequence on Sheffield to get a good idea...

The Caribbean may indeed be the last place to want to end up. Just look at recent events. Post-exchange there will not be any help coming after a hurricane.

Yes, and most islands are very overpopulated. The natural resources won't be enough as the outside supply is gone.

The Carribean will be an overcrowded, isolated, disease filled and lightly raodiactive basin.

But that's still better than the US, which speaks more about the US than the Carribean. Plus, the Carribean can be a jumping point to reach Central/South America, which will have been faring better.

So, as far as the Caribbean goes, I've been back and forth on that. I think, ultimately that some islands will do okay, and others will be absolutely screwed. For example, Grenada, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago are pretty close to Venezuela, so South American mainland help could reach them without great effort. The northern islands, though, like the Bahamas, U.S. & British Virgin Islands, etc, are going to be hit with substantial fallout, not to mention the Virgin Islands maybe take a hit just because they're territories with ports that ships could flee to after a strike. There are sadly not too many places in the world that can be considered "safe," but Barbados and T2 are probably as nice a place as any to be. Away from the awfulness, close enough to land to get help.

One of the few pieces of good news for Florida is that it won't get the fallout from the Midwest. That's about the only bit of good news, though...

One of the few pieces of good news for Florida is that it won't get the fallout from the Midwest. That's about the only bit of good news, though...
That and the weather that week had the upper level wind flow blowing towards the Bahamas. So, anyone bugging out there gets south Florida's fallout.

Chapter 22
Chapter 22
February 1, 1984
Miami, Florida

We interrupt this program to bring you a special report. From Washington, here is Chris Wallace.

“Good afternoon. We’ve just received notice from the Federal Aviation Administration that all air traffic in the state of Alaska has been suspended until further notice as a result of the downing of KLM Flight 146 in Bulgaria on January 29th. This morning, the Soviet Union issued a statement via Sweden that apologized for the deaths of innocent civilians, yet excoriated the West for “flying so many spy planes disguised as civilian aircraft that it has become impossible for the nations of the Warsaw Pact to defend themselves without such incidents happening.” The statement, authored by Foreign Secretary Gromyko, who stormed out of Geneva a few days ago with the Soviet delegation, went on to say that the deaths of those aboard Flight 146 were the responsibility of the United States and its allies for its “reckless and provocative behavior.”

The White House is expected to respond at the daily press briefing, scheduled in just about fifteen minutes from now, and we will be carrying that live here on NBC. However, the Soviet Union’s statement clearly resonated with the Reagan Administration, as the FAA’s action shows. Two days ago, the FAA announced that it was ordering flights leaving Florida for Caribbean or South American destinations to take alternate air corridors to avoid flying near Cuba. This directive, though, represents a first in the history of air travel in the United States. Flights have never been suspended for an entire state since commercial air travel began some fifty years ago.

Joining me now to discuss this is NBC News commentator John Chancellor. John, you’ve been covering the Cold War for years now. You served in a number of European capitals, NATO headquarters, and even served as head of the Voice of America radio network. Tell me, is these recent events unprecedented, or are we merely facing a troubled time that will be resolved, like the Cuban Missile Crisis?”

“Chris, it’s hard to say. You probably don’t remember as well as I do, but the Hungary invasion by the Soviet Union in 1956 at the same time that the Suez Crisis was taking place. Many people faulted President Eisenhower for not taking action against the Soviets, especially since we had numerical superiority in nuclear arms at the time, but he did the right thing. It would’ve been an ugly event, and President Kennedy’s forbearance in 1962 also likely saved the world. In both cases, those men dealt with Nikita Khrushchev, an emotional, slightly erratic man who did possess great pragmatism in times of crisis. He knew when to stop, in other words.

The problem the world faces today is this: The men running the Kremlin are old, tired, and incredibly set in their ways. Yuri Andropov is a longtime KGB chairman, intelligent yet paranoid of American actions. Dmitri Ustinov, the defense minister, is another longserving hardliner. Andrei Gromyko, the foreign secretary, is the famous “Mr. Nyet,” the man who lied to Kennedy’s face during the early stages of the Missile Crisis. Other hardliners like Konstantin Chernenko, Brezhnev’s right-hand man, and Grigoriy Romanov, Secretary Andropov’s military-industrial chief, are also near the head of the table. Unlike 1956 and 1962, when those who sat at the head of the table still had fresh memories of Nazi wartime destruction in their heads and didn’t want to fight anew, those there now are long removed from those thoughts and have ossified in office. They are locked into a dark vision of America and its allies, and are loathe to admit mistakes. It has been eleven months since President Reagan’s “Evil Empire” speech. Six months ago, KAL 007 was shot down by the Soviets. Five months ago, the Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up, and we then invaded Grenada. The East German populace protested, leading to the Berlin Wall incident. Forces built up on both sides, the Soviets stood down, and then new protests led to the Soviets taking over, in effect, all of East Germany. The Cuban fighter jet battle off the Miami coastline. The call-up of reserves. I could keep going, but I think the point has been made, Chris. The November standdown of forces in Germany was probably the last chance for real peace. Once the crackdown began anew on their side of the Berlin Wall, and the Cubans aggressively moved on our shores, the chances for peace disappeared.

I know that our government is still trying to talk the Soviets down, but if you look at Europe, those nations are operating under emergency powers now. Nobody believes this will end peacefully. I am not trying to alarm anyone with what I’m saying, but this very much resembles World War I, where once the machinery started moving, nobody could stop it. I fear we’re reliving history now, and we can only pray that the Soviet leadership remembers that the costs of war far outweigh those of peace.”

“Thank you, John, we take you now to the White House, where Larry Speakes, press secretary for President Reagan, is beginning his briefing…”

Jan Klima watched the whole thing from his desk. When Chancellor finished speaking, he got up and moved into Grimes’ office (stripped bare of everything but the telephone, desk, and chair) to call home.

“Rosa, it’s me, baby. It’s time to go. We just shut down all flights within Alaska now. The government wouldn’t do that unless they believed war was about to start. I know that wouldn’t happen otherwise.” She replied, “Honey, I don’t want to go yet. Maybe it’s just precautionary, like they said.” Her voice was pleading.

Jan sighed. “Rosa, there is nothing I want less in this world than you and Adriana leaving for anywhere. I promise you, though, this isn’t a precautionary move. The Russians would have to come well over the coastline to shoot down a plane in Alaska. The fact that flights can’t even leave the state for the continental 48 is obvious. They expect total war, and Alaska is a frontline for any battle with the Russians. You need to go before people start panicking, because then you’ll never find anywhere and you and Adriana won’t be safe. Please.”

Rosa choked back a sob. “O—Okay, Jan, I’ll go. I take it you’re going to call my father next?”

“Yes, babe, I am. The Bronco has all the other stuff in it under that tarp. Just pack some clothes and head out. Call me tonight, ok? I love you.”

“Love you too, Jan. Be careful.”

In a conference room at the South Florida federal building, Janet Reno was in the midst of a rather strange meeting. Miami DEA agents who were clued in about the Rivera case said they had a witness who could help her, so she and her top deputy drove over as quickly as they could. They had entered a conference room to find two DEA agents and their supervisor, along with a man who could best be described as rumpled. Average height, overweight, hairline slightly receding, he certainly did not look very impressive to Reno, who had a couple of inches on him.

“Okay, gentlemen, who is this, and what can he possibly do to help me?” asked Reno.

“Mrs. Reno, this is a pilot we arrested months ago. He smuggled in a large amount of cocaine in from Colombia and Panama for years, and claims he also flew CIA arms to Honduras for the contras. Our friends at the Agency have, of course, denied this claim of Mr. Seal’s. He offered to work as an informant for us, but we declined. He went to Washington to see the Vice President’s drug task force, but as you might imagine, the Veep hasn’t had any time to deal with that, and the staffers thought he should come back down and talk to us. Since it came from Washington, we had to listen this time. We asked him about your case, and he had answers,” said one of the agents.

“If he tells me useful information, I’d like for him to get transactional immunity. He might be able to help us with other cases too. I’d need the US Attorney to sign off on that, of course,” Reno said.

“Ma’am, if he helps you bring down this Rivera guy, I’ll be the first one in front of the boss asking for the agreement,” the DEA supervisor said.

“Okay, sir,” Reno said to the Pilot. “Let’s hear what you have to say.”

The Pilot proceeded to detail a flight he made for Manny Rivera two months before he had been arrested. He’d transported cocaine and weapons from Torrijos International Airport in Panama City to Kendall Tamiami Executive Airport west of Kendall, where he’d loaded the cargo into the waiting van and gone with one of Rivera’s men to the warehouse, where Rivera paid him. He gave them the address of the warehouse and described the man who had driven with him to it. He detailed what the refining process looked like when he was there.

“Who was your contact in Panama?” Reno’s deputy asked.

“He was a colonel in the army. Very full of himself, lots of macho posturing, but his face…it looked like someone stabbed him with an ice pick. I guess if your face looks like that, you have to posture if you’re gonna get any pussy,” the Pilot told him.

One of the agents sucked in his breath. “Christ, he just described Noriega.” His supervisor glared at him, and the agent shut his mouth. Reno looked at them, realized they knew something more than she did, but didn’t want to pursue it right now. She’d indeed gotten another potential lead on Rivera’s organization, and with this, she could now get a search warrant for the warehouse. Her deputy smiled next to her. Maybe they'd get this bastard now.

Ah, yes, Barry Seal; I was wondering if he was going to put in an appearance (was this inspired by the release of the Barry Seal biopic, BTW? While Tom Cruise is a decent actor, he doesn't look like Seal, IMO...).

Jan's going to feel mighty foolish when this turns out to be a false alarm (for now; as the Third World War starting date approaches, though, he won't be)...

Waiting for more...

Ah, yes, Barry Seal; I was wondering if he was going to put in an appearance (was this inspired by the release of the Barry Seal biopic, BTW? While Tom Cruise is a decent actor, he doesn't look like Seal, IMO...).

Jan's going to feel mighty foolish when this turns out to be a false alarm (for now; as the Third World War starting date approaches, though, he won't be)...

Waiting for more...

I owe you credit, you mentioned him, and it dawned on me that he was there at that time. It also gave me a way to tie up a loose end I had in my plan.

Not sure Jan would feel stupid. If Rosa can find an apartment in the next couple of days, it will certainly be for the best, because even John Chancellor is on TV saying "It's happening!" He will, however, be quite lonely going forward.

I agree with you about Jan; he wouldn't be feeling stupid, especially when things really start heating up...

Now, go get Manny, Jan!!! (An appropriate sentence for Manny postwar, assuming he's in custody by that point: he "volunteers" to help clean up Miami. Of course, the fact that he's picking up lethal radiation is purely coincidental...)

Chapter 22
February 1, 1984
Miami, Florida

We interrupt this program to bring you a special report. From Washington, here is Chris Wallace.

“Good afternoon. We’ve just received notice from the Federal Aviation Administration that all air traffic in the state of Alaska has been suspended until further notice as a result of the downing of KLM Flight 146 in Bulgaria on January 29th. This morning, the Soviet Union issued a statement via Sweden that apologized for the deaths of innocent civilians, yet excoriated the West for “flying so many spy planes disguised as civilian aircraft that it has become impossible for the nations of the Warsaw Pact to defend themselves without such incidents happening.” The statement, authored by Foreign Secretary Gromyko, who stormed out of Geneva a few days ago with the Soviet delegation, went on to say that the deaths of those aboard Flight 146 were the responsibility of the United States and its allies for its “reckless and provocative behavior.”

The White House is expected to respond at the daily press briefing, scheduled in just about fifteen minutes from now, and we will be carrying that live here on NBC. However, the Soviet Union’s statement clearly resonated with the Reagan Administration, as the FAA’s action shows. Two days ago, the FAA announced that it was ordering flights leaving Florida for Caribbean or South American destinations to take alternate air corridors to avoid flying near Cuba. This directive, though, represents a first in the history of air travel in the United States. Flights have never been suspended for an entire state since commercial air travel began some fifty years ago.

Joining me now to discuss this is NBC News commentator John Chancellor. John, you’ve been covering the Cold War for years now. You served in a number of European capitals, NATO headquarters, and even served as head of the Voice of America radio network. Tell me, is these recent events unprecedented, or are we merely facing a troubled time that will be resolved, like the Cuban Missile Crisis?”

“Chris, it’s hard to say. You probably don’t remember as well as I do, but the Hungary invasion by the Soviet Union in 1956 at the same time that the Suez Crisis was taking place. Many people faulted President Eisenhower for not taking action against the Soviets, especially since we had numerical superiority in nuclear arms at the time, but he did the right thing. It would’ve been an ugly event, and President Kennedy’s forbearance in 1962 also likely saved the world. In both cases, those men dealt with Nikita Khrushchev, an emotional, slightly erratic man who did possess great pragmatism in times of crisis. He knew when to stop, in other words.

The problem the world faces today is this: The men running the Kremlin are old, tired, and incredibly set in their ways. Yuri Andropov is a longtime KGB chairman, intelligent yet paranoid of American actions. Dmitri Ustinov, the defense minister, is another longserving hardliner. Andrei Gromyko, the foreign secretary, is the famous “Mr. Nyet,” the man who lied to Kennedy’s face during the early stages of the Missile Crisis. Other hardliners like Konstantin Chernenko, Brezhnev’s right-hand man, and Grigoriy Romanov, Secretary Andropov’s military-industrial chief, are also near the head of the table. Unlike 1956 and 1962, when those who sat at the head of the table still had fresh memories of Nazi wartime destruction in their heads and didn’t want to fight anew, those there now are long removed from those thoughts and have ossified in office. They are locked into a dark vision of America and its allies, and are loathe to admit mistakes. It has been eleven months since President Reagan’s “Evil Empire” speech. Six months ago, KAL 007 was shot down by the Soviets. Five months ago, the Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up, and we then invaded Grenada. The East German populace protested, leading to the Berlin Wall incident. Forces built up on both sides, the Soviets stood down, and then new protests led to the Soviets taking over, in effect, all of East Germany. The Cuban fighter jet battle off the Miami coastline. The call-up of reserves. I could keep going, but I think the point has been made, Chris. The November standdown of forces in Germany was probably the last chance for real peace. Once the crackdown began anew on their side of the Berlin Wall, and the Cubans aggressively moved on our shores, the chances for peace disappeared.

I know that our government is still trying to talk the Soviets down, but if you look at Europe, those nations are operating under emergency powers now. Nobody believes this will end peacefully. I am not trying to alarm anyone with what I’m saying, but this very much resembles World War I, where once the machinery started moving, nobody could stop it. I fear we’re reliving history now, and we can only pray that the Soviet leadership remembers that the costs of war far outweigh those of peace.”

“Thank you, John, we take you now to the White House, where Larry Speakes, press secretary for President Reagan, is beginning his briefing…”

Jan Klima watched the whole thing from his desk. When Chancellor finished speaking, he got up and moved into Grimes’ office (stripped bare of everything but the telephone, desk, and chair) to call home.

“Rosa, it’s me, baby. It’s time to go. We just shut down all flights within Alaska now. The government wouldn’t do that unless they believed war was about to start. I know that wouldn’t happen otherwise.” She replied, “Honey, I don’t want to go yet. Maybe it’s just precautionary, like they said.” Her voice was pleading.

Jan sighed. “Rosa, there is nothing I want less in this world than you and Adriana leaving for anywhere. I promise you, though, this isn’t a precautionary move. The Russians would have to come well over the coastline to shoot down a plane in Alaska. The fact that flights can’t even leave the state for the continental 48 is obvious. They expect total war, and Alaska is a frontline for any battle with the Russians. You need to go before people start panicking, because then you’ll never find anywhere and you and Adriana won’t be safe. Please.”

Rosa choked back a sob. “O—Okay, Jan, I’ll go. I take it you’re going to call my father next?”

“Yes, babe, I am. The Bronco has all the other stuff in it under that tarp. Just pack some clothes and head out. Call me tonight, ok? I love you.”

“Love you too, Jan. Be careful.”

In a conference room at the South Florida federal building, Janet Reno was in the midst of a rather strange meeting. Miami DEA agents who were clued in about the Rivera case said they had a witness who could help her, so she and her top deputy drove over as quickly as they could. They had entered a conference room to find two DEA agents and their supervisor, along with a man who could best be described as rumpled. Average height, overweight, hairline slightly receding, he certainly did not look very impressive to Reno, who had a couple of inches on him.

“Okay, gentlemen, who is this, and what can he possibly do to help me?” asked Reno.

“Mrs. Reno, this is a pilot we arrested months ago. He smuggled in a large amount of cocaine in from Colombia and Panama for years, and claims he also flew CIA arms to Honduras for the contras. Our friends at the Agency have, of course, denied this claim of Mr. Seal’s. He offered to work as an informant for us, but we declined. He went to Washington to see the Vice President’s drug task force, but as you might imagine, the Veep hasn’t had any time to deal with that, and the staffers thought he should come back down and talk to us. Since it came from Washington, we had to listen this time. We asked him about your case, and he had answers,” said one of the agents.

“If he tells me useful information, I’d like for him to get transactional immunity. He might be able to help us with other cases too. I’d need the US Attorney to sign off on that, of course,” Reno said.

“Ma’am, if he helps you bring down this Rivera guy, I’ll be the first one in front of the boss asking for the agreement,” the DEA supervisor said.

“Okay, sir,” Reno said to the Pilot. “Let’s hear what you have to say.”

The Pilot proceeded to detail a flight he made for Manny Rivera two months before he had been arrested. He’d transported cocaine and weapons from Torrijos International Airport in Panama City to Kendall Tamiami Executive Airport west of Kendall, where he’d loaded the cargo into the waiting van and gone with one of Rivera’s men to the warehouse, where Rivera paid him. He gave them the address of the warehouse and described the man who had driven with him to it. He detailed what the refining process looked like when he was there.

“Who was your contact in Panama?” Reno’s deputy asked.

“He was a colonel in the army. Very full of himself, lots of macho posturing, but his face…it looked like someone stabbed him with an ice pick. I guess if your face looks like that, you have to posture if you’re gonna get any pussy,” the Pilot told him.

One of the agents sucked in his breath. “Christ, he just described Noriega.” His supervisor glared at him, and the agent shut his mouth. Reno looked at them, realized they knew something more than she did, but didn’t want to pursue it right now. She’d indeed gotten another potential lead on Rivera’s organization, and with this, she could now get a search warrant for the warehouse. Her deputy smiled next to her. Maybe they'd get this bastard now.

Jan's phone call had me in tears. The Pilot comment on Noriega had me rolling on the floor. I see Turtledove Award here, just sayin. :)

Miami-Dade and Broward are going to be hurting for sure. There's a decent chance that Port St. Lucie's nuclear plant will take a hit from what comes in there, but Turkey Point's remoteness will probably save it...why try to aim that precisely at something that is near nothing else of value?

As far as Fort Myers, that area has not been hit in canon and I have no intention of changing that. Considering that half of the Vulcan/Victor bases in England survived, I see no reason for such a tertiary target to be nuked. If you look back, I drew up a Nukemap picture in one of the earlier chapters (think it's on page 5--I've used threadmark for everything so people can jump between parts of the story while avoiding commentary). That covers the canon and understood targets that Florida got hit with.

@Unknown Manny is in Miramar for a reason. Not only was it less built up, but it's surrounded by the Everglades, unincorporated land, and lots of small lakes that water supplies can be stored from--the Agency men will be getting large drums and filling them with water from all the nearby lakes. The only directions survivors could likely come from is north/northeast and nobody is likely to head closer to Miami and Homestead. They'd keep going north. In this, the Agency men chose well. Between the only well-kept, armed and fed men and the lack of any other real control, Manny can easily exert power over the few survivors to the northeast in Coral Springs, Sunrise, and the west end of Davie. Think Tyler Tyles without the race war element.

Jan and Luis have 20 days left. It's a race against the clock. The main question is, is it enough?

I managed to find the Nukemap pic you were referring to (that's a lot of groundbursts!). I understand now that it's canon that Fort Myers area won't get hit. So...it sounds like Fort Myers/Cape Coral could well go on to become the biggest city in South Florida, if not the whole state in the post-Exchange era. Also, I notice Tallahassee isn't marked as hit, and the same goes for Cape Canaveral. So if this is going to be the case, then Florida has at least have a state capital still standing - means that at least some semblance of law and order may be restored sooner rather than later to all parts of Florida. And if the fallout clears up well enough, then NASA could have a shot at resuming its space program (but manned spaceflight likely may not occur for a long time at least), as well as launching satellites to replace those lost during the Exchange.

In addition to what you said about not everything being on the target list, not every nuke from the Soviets is going to detonate successfully, make it to their targets and even fly out of their silos. Same will go for US/British/French nukes. It makes perfect sense that there likely would be many potential targets still standing even after a global nuclear war in the 1980s.

If Rosa has any chance of making it to Fort Myers, she should start evacuating now, now that the news coming from the other side of the pond are getting more and more dire.

Last edited: