Protect and Survive: The Last Game

Not open for further replies.
Unknown, thanks!

Here's hoping too that UK wins...if not this season then someday :)

Another update coming real soon, by the way. And, speaking of national championships (and in recognition of the Georgetown shoutout over on Chip's thread), here's a picture from an OTL 1984 Final Four game that shall forever live in Wildcat infamy:


Last edited:
This isn't the update :)

In fact, it doesn't really have anything to do with the storyline, except as a miscellaneous news item that happened to air on CNN shortly before noon:

The professional wrestler known as The Iron Sheik has received anonymous death threats, phoned in to Allentown, Pennsylvania police and the Allentown Morning Call newspaper this morning.

The wrestler was given a police escort out of the Boston Garden Saturday evening after his match during a wrestling card promoted by the Stamford, Connecticut-based World Wrestling Federation.

As he was walking out to the ring for his main event match against WWF champion Hulk Hogan in Boston, The Iron Sheik was pelted with garbage, food, beer and other miscellaneous items by ringside fans in attendance. The match itself ended with Hogan pinning the Sheik in the middle of the ring, and the Sheik escorted by eight Boston policemen and ten Boston Garden security officials, while Hogan posed in the ring with an American flag.

The WWF says that the Sheik will appear at television tapings tonight at the Agricultural Hall for a match against Sergeant Slaughter and tomorrow night in Hamburg, and at scheduled cards Saturday in Philadelphia and next Monday in New York.
Tuesday, February 14

Lexington, Kentucky

12:04 p.m., outside the W.T. Young Library on the University of Kentucky campus.

Hector Cordova, a member of the Young Democrats, spoke into the microphone, before 797 of his fellow students and 266 other people, including UK professors, a few Transylvania College students and professors, and members of the community.

That wasn't counting camera crews from Channel 18 and Channel 27, plus reporters from The Kentucky Kernel, The Lexington Herald, The Lexington Leader and The Courier-Journal newspapers.

Nor was it counting three dozen campus policemen, all of whom were keeping as much of an eye on the 40 or so counter-protesters as the much larger crowd of protesters.

"We support our military, we love our troops," said Cordova, who remembered stories his uncle Manuel told him of disrespect and mistreatment from Americans upon his return home to Los Angeles from his stint in Vietnam.

"We also love our people, the American people. And, we love peace."

The crowd cheered at that.

Ninety yards away, four fraternity brothers waved an American flag. "KICK RUSSIA'S ASS," one of them yelled. Another yelled in response, "NO BACKING DOWN. PUSSIES DON'T WIN FIGHTS."

"We love America. We love democracy. We love freedom. We also love peace, and the ability to live in peace without fear of war and destruction."

More cheers from the crowd, and a few more jeers from the counter-protestors, whom by now had been joined by several uniformed and plain-clothed Lexington police officers.

"We march not to weaken America. We march to show our solidarity with our brothers and sisters marching for peace elsewhere in this state, and in this country, and around the world. We march to send a message to President Reagan and Secretary Ogarkov that, yes, they can sit down, and talk out their differences, and pull back from the brink."

The plan for the rally was to march from campus, through downtown, to Mayor Scotty Baesler's office. The necessary permits had finally been granted on Monday, although the delay led several hundred UK students to join the much bigger rally in Louisville.

"We march for peace. We do not advocate submission to the Soviets. We do advocate talking with them, in all of our collective interests, to bring about a peaceful solution for all sides."

"ALL sides? What the fucking hell is he talking about?" one of the frat brothers asked aloud.

Anthony - whose real name was Anatoly - observed the four frat guys from a distance.

He knew that the other counter protestors seemed content to wave their flags and hold their signs in support of Reagan and the Western governments. If the four did try to start anything, the police would quickly, and easily, put an end to it.

Anatoly couldn't really use them to start something if he wanted to. Nothing short of a suicide bomb or emptying a gun into the crowd would stir things up. This wasn't the place to do so, anyway. He was here, today, to observe.

Tomorrow was the time to make some noise.

12:30 p.m.

...WHAS News at 12:30. Protestors continue their twin marches from the University of Louisville campus and Louisville's West End towards downtown. Louisville police have now closed Broadway to First Street and shut off access off Interstate 65 going west on Broadway. The Jefferson Street exits north- and southbound on 65 have also been closed. Although both crowds have been peaceful, Mayor Sloane has extended the local business curfew to 4 o'clock. The protests are expected to cumulate at 2, in front of....
12:46 p.m.

Memorial Coliseum, UK campus

"Cliff, I'm hoping they get this settled quick," said University of Kentucky baseball coach Keith Madison.

Madison sat at his desk in his office, sipping a Coke. In the office with him was Athletics Director Cliff Hagan. It had been Hagan's call to not pull the baseball team from its season opening games in Alabama, in early March. Still, he was more and more reluctant to allow the team to go so far south, at a time when the damned bombs might actually fly. Hagan did not want any of his sports' teams playing their potential last game so far from home.

"Me too, Keith," Hagan said. He took a gulp of his Coke, then sat back in his chair. "I haven't told you the half of it. I'll tell everyone at 2 what I know, from the administration, from the conference. There is something you need to know, though."


"South Alabama called me to say they're suspending classes on Wednesday. Spring Hill is still on, though I need to call their AD later on. West Florida is likely to suspend classes this week, too. I may have to schedule Hanover or Berea."

Madison took another sip of his Coke, and took a breath. "Can't say I blame them. I'm not sure we ought to be here, honestly."

"You're not the only one," Hagan replied.

1:07 p.m.

Lexington Herald sports department

The Reporter found out something from his phone call to Vanderbilt.

Vandy was leaning towards closing campus on Friday, which would mean the cancellation of the UK-Vandy game in Nashville on Sunday. Some board members and boosters were fighting it. One board member wanted to close Monday, but force Kentucky to pay Vandy a guarantee.

Actually, the Reporter thought that no one yet knew for certain what on earth Vandy was going to end up doing.

Meanwhile, the Reporter was going to call a source in Nashville who separately brought up the guarantee proposal, and ask about the game being moved to a neutral site, possibly Bowling Green.

1:23 p.m.

Frankfort, Kentucky

State Capitol, Senate chambers

The Senator had noticed that things were starting to pick up a little. Democrats and Republicans seemed more willing to talk, and work out agreements on various matters - and, to do so quickly.

As if there were things that needed to get done, while there was time.

There were a few more bills and proposals than usual to look at, too.

One in particular caught his eye:

....that all public educational institutions, elementary, secondary and university, close at the end of business effective Friday, February 17, given current international tensions...

It was the Senator from Pikeville, not from Louisville, who sponsored that proposal.

He knew that Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green - in his district - had made contingency plans which included closing the school. He thought that perhaps the Senator from Pikeville was jumping the gun a bit soon.

Then again, things weren't looking so good on the news.

Which made him want to get home to Amy and the kids all that more.

1:46 p.m.

Downtown Lexington

Heather watched the protestors, from a distance, from the door of the office building.

A few blocks before, someone thought she was one of the protestors. Fortunately, that person hadn't chosen to lecture her on the evils of Soviet Russia or on the necessity of "supporting America", nor lectured her on not joining with the crowd and "resisting the corporate-political war hawks".

She had other business. Her father had handed her a financial windfall, and she had no idea what she was going to do with it.


Heather had turned to open the doors of the building's main entrance, but stopped and turned back around when hearing the greeting.

It was her roommate, Mallory, and their friend, Chris.

Heather knew Chris, as a fellow communications major. The pudgy sophomore from southern Ohio was known as a funny, easy-going, if not quite attractive guy. He was much more John Belushi than John Candy, he could make the girls laugh, and he wasn't a creep unlike some guys on campus.

Chris was also known to have a little bit of money; his father ran a successful construction business based out of Cincinnati.

"What are you guys doing here?"

"I'm going to talk to someone at the bank," Chris replied. "Mal saw you headed towards downtown and tried to catch up to you. She saw me, and when I told her I was going here, we decided to follow you to see what you were up to."

1:53 p.m.

...a special report from the WAVE Radio Newsroom. Louisville police have broken up a skirmish at Sixth and Broadway, between protestors and counter protestors. No word yet on any arrests or possible injuries. WAVE will update you as soon as we get more information....

That's all I got. More later :)
FYI, the lead elements of the 42nd Division will have arrived at Fort Campbell at this time from New York City.
Looking forward to it, BrianD.

Here's hoping Kentucky wins the Final Four (the Louisville game looks like a good one).
Very soon, Kinkster.

GAB, thanks for the info. How long will they be deployed there?

It would have been as brief as possible. They would have added personnel and equipment up to war time complement and done some training. Almost all of of them are going to be on post when The Exchange happens.
It would have been as brief as possible. They would have added personnel and equipment up to war time complement and done some training. Almost all of of them are going to be on post when The Exchange happens.

Perhaps you are confusing the dates? Right now I'm one week before the Exchange (whereas you are the day before on yours).
Perhaps you are confusing the dates? Right now I'm one week before the Exchange (whereas you are the day before on yours).

No, I'm roughly following the war plans of the 42ID of the time. They would be still at Campbell. It would have been two or so weeks to get ready.
(OOC: I'm going to switch it up for this update. Instead of going chronologically, I'm going to focus on the main characters and what happened to them from 2 p.m. on.

Wednesday - tomorrow in the timeline - is going to be a very important day.

And, the exact nature of the 'last game' is very much up in the air at this point).

Tuesday, February 14, 1984's four o'clock, and time for WHAS News with Brian Rublein.

A crowd estimated by Louisville Police at nearly eight thousand people gathered earlier this afternoon downtown in a rally for peace. Dan Burgess reports live from City Hall.

Brian, the rally has just ended, the participants dispersing, walking back to their starting points. Mirroring similar rallies across the country, the event formally called Louisvillians for Peace began one hour ago. Two groups - one starting in the West End, the other led by students starting from the University of Louisville's Belknap Campus - converged in front of City Hall. With numerous downtown streets shut down for the rally, and heightened police presence in the area, the rally itself went off without incident...
The Athletic Director

Memorial Coliseum, Lexington, Kentucky

"I want to thank everyone for coming," said UK AD Cliff Hagan, as he started his informational meeting for the head coaches of the university's athletic programs, their assistant coaches, and athletic department and sports information department employees.

Hagan laid out the agenda for the board of trustees' meeting on Wednesday, the possibility of closing down the school mid-week, and all contingency plans covering every possibility: from a wind-down of hostilities, to all-out war. Would students be sent home, and when? What about scheduled games and meets?

Track and field coach Don Weber was in his first year as head coach, after several years as an assistant. He was a graduate of UK, and very grateful for the opportunity to build the track program into one of the Southeastern Conference's elite programs, and, beyond that, to national prominence.

He had no personal issue with Hagan, his boss, and rather preferred to direct his time and attention to his passion.

Weber's concern for his student-athletes overrode all that; his conscience would not permit him to do anything other than stand for their best interests, even if it cost him his job.

And he wasn't alone.

Other coaches were adamant about how the university was going to handle sending students, and especially their own student-athletes, home if worst came to worst.

"What if this thing between Reagan and Ogarkov doesn't blow over," Weber asked. "You're going to have me and my athletes run a track meet somewhere while they're fighting over Europe?"

Hagan repeatedly told those in attendance that no one - them, their athletes, students, fans - would be in danger if World War Three broke out.

No one left fully satisfied with Hagan's answers, nor fully convinced that the department's plans were in everyone's best interest.

At 8 o'clock, Hagan spoke for an hour and 15 minutes with his counterpart at Vanderbilt, in what amounted to a negotiation for conditions that would keep the scheduled VU-UK basketball game for that Sunday from being cancelled.

At 9:39 that night, Hagan was informed via a phone call that Weber had told his athletes and student volunteers to "go home".

At 9:54, he received the resignation of Weber, and his assistant coaches, via courier.

At 10:07, Hagan got another call from the Vandy AD, who informed him of the VU board's Wednesday meeting, and some special requests in advance of Sunday's game.

Among them: a $5,000,000 guarantee.

After a rather heated, if brief conversation, Hagan hung up the phone and decided to call the University of Kentucky president, Otis Singletary, to discuss the situation with Weber and Vanderbilt.

...Dan Burgess, reporting live from City Hall. Four of the rally leaders, the Reverend Louis Coleman, Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary professors George Edwards and Johanna Bos, and UofL student activist Lorraine Hensley, will be on with Milton Metz tonight on Metz Here, beginning at 9 p.m. on 84 WHAS. Louisville Police reported one incident before the rally itself, at Sixth and Broadway, describing it as a 'minor skirmish'. One man was arrested on charges of disturbing the peace...
The Student

"So I have FOUR HUNDRED thousand dollars in my account?"

Heather learned how much money her father had been able to wire into her American bank account, and nearly fainted. After recovering, and drinking a glass of water, Heather went over with the manager her father's conditions for using the money: so much money per week, supplementing the $1,200 monthly stipend she already had in another account; so much to be invested in stocks, bonds, a retirement fund, etc.

And, all of this to be done no sooner than two weeks from today.

There was a catch: if hostilities broke out into full-scale war, the conditions were null and void and Heather could do with the money as she wished, provided it was to give her a solid-as-possible financial base in America, or to be used for "public assistance" if necessary.

Heather paused for a moment while asking a question of the manager, nearly overcome by the realization that daddy's preparing me for the worst. Protect and Survive. Four hundred thousand dollars...I may never see him or Mum ever again--

Then she shook it off. Keep Calm and Carry On, is what her grandmother did in the Second World War. Blubbering like an idiot, especially in front of this kind lady her father had sent to help her in the States, wouldn't help her at all.

Take care of the money. Take care of yourself.

Keep Calm and Carry On.
...Just over 1,100 people gathered in front of Mayor Scotty Baesler's office downtown in a rally for peace. In a surprise move, Mayor Baesler himself spoke to the crowd, expressing his sympathy with their intentions, and his hope for world peace:
I want to say your actions speak loudly. I stand with you, calling upon the United States and Soviet Union to resolve their differences, and use their power to work towards peace.
Mayor Baesler was not available for comment, though a press release from his office stated that the mayor "stands with the United States government and military" and that it is not contradictory with his statements at the rally.

Similar rallies were held across the Commonwealth today. A crowd estimated at 11,000 gathered in downtown Louisville, while other rallies were held on college campuses. Three thousand people, mostly students, held a rally on the Eastern Kentucky University campus. Other rallies were held at Morehead State University, Murray State University, Berea College and Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, where campus and city police broke up a near-brawl between protestors and fraternity students...
The Reporter

There were plenty of leads for The Reporter to chase: Vanderbilt, Don Weber, the Big Eight, the SEC, the NCAA.

And, of course, tying all of them to Kentucky.

And, finding out whether that rumor about the boosters wanting to keep basketball going come hell or high water, or mushroom clouds, was legit.

The Senator

The Senator began to make his own plans for escape, just in case things got bad.

His family would meet with the others at a predetermined place near the Cave, only if things regressed to a certain point: the use of nuclear weapons in combat.

He hopefully would be far away from Frankfort by then, and if not, headed there as quickly as possible. With a group of heavily armed men and women.

The Athlete

Sam wasn't at the top of his game on Tuesday.

Neither were his teammates.

Some wanted to go to the rally in Lexington; they weren't allowed, because it conflicted with practice. Coach Hall wanted it that way, thinking that keeping things as normal as possible would benefit his players the most.

Nevertheless, the coaches weren't quite as hard on the players as normal for their sloppy passes, bad dribbles, poorly-taken shots and sub-par play.

Five o'clock came around, and Coach Hall told his team they would have tomorrow off: go to class, relax afterwards, clear your heads, everyone call home and talk to friends and family...and come back Thursday ready for basketball.

Sam went back to the Lodge, and called home - Georgia - and talked with his parents and family for two hours.

The Coach

Coach Hall had been in Hagan's mid-afternoon meeting and kept quiet throughout.

He knew that some of the other coaches were privately accusing him of self-interest and basketball ahead of the welfare of his own players, and thereby setting the tone for the other coaches to do the same.

That wasn't true, at all. He respected Weber's convictions. He thought that, because there was no state of war with Russia, there was no reason to shut everything down and begin preparing for The Day After.

That wasn't to say one shouldn't have contingency plans, and he was satisfied with what Hagan had said about the university's plans for the various scenarios presented. If the worst actually happened, everyone would be taken care of, he was confident of that.

He knew that some disagreed with his thoughts, and themselves thought that nuclear war was inevitable, and that UK was not prepared to deal with it.

He figured it was best to keep his mouth shut, for now, and proceed as normal. Tonight, that meant leaving Memorial Coliseum to do his weekly radio show.

And hoping that every caller would proceed as normal, too.

The Terrorist

The young Russian man, known as Anthony to his American classmates and professors, wondered if he was in the right spot.

This was Midway, it was north of downtown Lexington, and that was a telephone booth he was parked in front of.

It was just past 10 o'clock, and he wondered if he got the location wrong...or if he had been set up.

Anthony - real name Anatoly - got out of his Impala, and walked into the booth.

The phone rang, as he had been told. Picking up the receiver, he heard the caller say
turn around, turn around...hello? sorry, I must have the wrong number.

Anatoly turned around, and saw a man in a raincoat walking towards him.

"May I use the phone, sir?"

"Er, yes, of course."

"Thank you, would you mind holding these for me while I place my call?"

Anatoly was given a pack of Marlboros, a matchbook and a manila folder with some papers in it.

The man finished his call, stepped out of the booth, and asked Anatoly if he smoked.

"Er, yes..."

"Good, lad. Have a pack, on me. And please, if you would, dispose of that folder. I'm in quite a hurry, and must be off to bed. Tomorrow is a long day...

Спокойной ночи"

With that, the man in the raincoat got in his Buick, and drove away.

Anatoly got in his Impala, lit up a Marlboro, and read through the contents of the folder.

He looked at the map, drove a few miles, pulled off to the side of the road, lit a match and touched it to the folder, contents and all.

When the folder had burned up completely, Anatoly drove back to campus.

Tomorrow would be a long, and eventful day, indeed.
...Milton, sorry for the interruption, but this has just come into the WHAS Newsroom. The Associated Press is reporting that Federal Marshals have arrested a man for what they are calling 'suspicious activities' near the Louisville Gas and Electric plant in Trimble County. The man was not identified, nor was the nature of his activities described...
OOC: We'll do the Big Blue Line in the next update, which will come Thursday.
Last edited:
I can't help fell sorry for Heather, since she won't likely see her family again, even when the post war situation stabilizes.:(
Last edited:
As promised: The Big Blue Line.

"Hello everybody, this is Cawood Ledford. Tonight, Coach Joe B. Hall and I will take your phone calls about Kentucky's win over Florida last night, looking ahead to Sunday's scheduled game against Vanderbilt, and any other questions you might have. The telephone number is 1-800-555-C-A-T-S. That's 1-800, 5-5-5, C-A-T-S, and already the lines are full.

Before we get to our first caller, Coach, I wanted to ask you about the international situation involving the United States and the Soviet Union. It's something that's on everyone's mind, and certainly even as we go about our business, including basketball, we all hope that everything will be resolved soon. Last night, there was a press conference, where the athletic director, Cliff Hagan, said that the athletic department would continue as normal, and that all athletic events, including Sunday's game at Vanderbilt, would go on as planned. How have you, and the players, and the rest of the staff been reacting to all of this?

"Well, Cawood, what's going on in the world is something that we've all been paying close attention to, and the team's no exception to that. We're all concerned, and hopeful that the President, and the Soviet leaders, will sit down, work out their differences, and that we can all go back to normal. The players are worried, absolutely. But we sat down with them last night, and again this afternoon at practice, and told them that we would practice and prepare as normal, and that if things get bad - and Cawood, I know you, and I know the listeners, and I know I and my family and all of us on the team - are hoping, and praying they don't.

But if things get worse, we're not going to put the players or anyone that's part of our program in danger. Mr. Hagan is adamant about that, Mr. Singletary is adamant--"

"Otis Singletary, the President of the University."

"...the President of the University, Mr. Singletary, is adamant about not putting any of our student-athletes in danger. Right now, there's no state of war between the two nations, the federal government and the state government have not told anyone to not go about their normal business, and as long as that is the case we're going to go ahead and practice, and prepare, like we normally would."

"With that, Coach, we'll go ahead and take our first caller before we go to our first break. Kentucky, coming off a 67-65 victory last night over Florida in Rupp Arena, ranked sixth in the Associated Press poll and 19-3 overall, 10-3 in the SEC. With that, let's go to Darlene in Hi Hat. Darlene, you're on the Big Blue Line with Coach Hall."

"Hello, Coach?"

"Yes, Darlene."

"Coach Hall?"

"Darlene, you're on the Big Blue Line with Coach Hall."

"Well, Coach, this is my first time calling your radio show and I wanted to say it's an honor to speak with you tonight."

"Well, Darlene, I really appreciate that, and thank you for listening."

"Coach, my three boys and I watched the Florida game last night, and we thought you played well. I know the Cats had a lot on their minds, we all do, and they played well under the circumstances and won the game."

"Well, thank you for saying that, and you're right, the players and us coaches too had a lot on our minds. We didn't play as well in spots as I would have liked, but we took care of things down the stretch and pulled out the win at the end. Sometimes, that's all you can do."

"Darlene, do you have any other questions or comments for Coach Hall?"

"No Cawood, though I wanted to say that I've appreciated hearing you on the radio for a long time, and you're like a member of our family--"

"Thank you."

"--and I don't have any more questions or comments, but my youngest son, Damon, wanted to ask Coach Hall a question, if that's alright."

"Of course it would, Darlene."

"Mister Cawood?"

"Yes. Is this Damon?"


(Hall) "Damon?"


"This is Coach Hall. How are you doing tonight?"

"I'm fine."

"Did you have a question for me?"

"Yes, will Sam Bowie be the player of the year, and will Kentucky win the national championship this year, and I just wanted to say go Cats."

"Thank you, Damon, and keep listening, and take care of your mother and your brothers, alright?"


"Thank you, Damon, and thank you Darlene, for your phone call. Coach, what are your thoughts on Sam, and on how well the team is playing right now?"

"Well Sam's certainly one of our most important players, and a big key for us inside. Everyone's important for us, and they are going to have to play a big role as we go down the stretch and get ready for the SEC Tournament, and the NCAA. We think we have a good shot at getting to the Final Four, and winning it is our goal, but there are a lot of good teams out there, too, like North Carolina, and Georgetown, Illinois, DePaul, Houston, even Auburn here in the SEC. It takes good talent, good play and a little luck to win it all. We've got the talent, I believe we'll be playing our best down the stretch, and hopefully we'll get some luck along the way too."

"With that, Coach, we're going to take our first break. 1-800-5-5-5-C-A-T-S is the phone number. One line is open. We'll be back with the Big Blue Line, on the University of Kentucky basketball network."








...Spetsnaz activity in Kentucky was first noticed one week before the nuclear exchange, on 2/14/84. A sole agent, male, of Hispanic descent was observed taking multiple photographs of a power plant in Trimble County that was under construction. When approached by a county policeman, the agent fired, killing the officer. Another county officer was able to call for backup before being shot himself. The agent then attempted to flee the scene, only to get into a shootout with state and county police. The agent was shot, and taken to a nearby hospital under guard.

Weapons found in his possession included one Dragunov sniper rifle and one Marakov semi-automatic pistol, along with materiel to make a crude Molotov cocktail...

...On 2/15/84, a Caucasian male of German descent was observed taking photographs around the area of the Blue Grass Army Depot outside of the town of Richmond. Despite the area being under increased military guard and surveillance, the agent managed to sneak in and take several pictures. The agent was confronted by a group of military patrolmen, leading to an exchange of gunfire. The agent was shot mortally, and upon capture was taken to an on base medical facility, where he was declared dead upon arrival...

...also on 2/15, a Caucasian female, driving a stolen Ford F-150 pickup truck, was pulled over by a city policewoman in Covington, near Cincinnati. The truck had been observed committing a traffic violation (the nature of which was not noted in surviving records) and pulled over. The female, at first cooperative, increasingly became agitated as a check confirmed the truck had been stolen from outside Steubenville, Ohio, the day before. The officer also observed that the cab had several large boxes, covered by a tarp. When the officer walked back to the truck, the driver shot at her four times, striking her once in the shoulder. That enabled the driver to leave the scene; the officer then radioed for help.

Covington police rendezvoused with the truck on Interstate 71, just under a mile north of the Brent Spence Bridge into Cincinnati, Ohio. The truck swerved erratically attempting to avoid the police. Kentucky State police and a National Guard truck joined the chase. The truck rammed several vehicles on the bridge, then pulled to a stop. One of the National Guard trucks and a Covington patrol car avoided the pileup of vehicles and sped towards the now-stopped truck. The driver, by now having stepped out of the vehicle, was observed by the officer driving the Covington patrol car to be attempting to light something in the cab of the truck. He swerved to a stop, pulled his handgun and told the woman "hands over your head and hit the ground". She reached for a handgun in her jacket, and was shot twice by a passenger in the National Guard truck...

...approximately 75 pounds of explosives were uncovered in the cab of the truck, enough to seriously damage the Brent Spence bridge if not cause it to collapse entirely...

...that same day, two Spetsnaz agents, one posing as a businessman from Belgium, another as a University of Kentucky student from New York state, carried out their plan to kill the members of the university's Board of Regents, meeting to vote on whether to continue or suspend school operations...

...the intention of killing the members of a university board of regents, as opposed to the mayor of the city of Lexington, or the governor of Kentucky, makes sense in light of known Spetsnaz doctrine: use terror to disrupt domestic activities as much as possible and give the Soviets an advantage in the event of a war between them and NATO...
It's good to see the continuity of normal government procedures and the existence of enough records to detail enemy activity before the nuclear exchange.

Keep it up, Brian!:)
We interrrupt this timeline

We interrupt this timeline for an important bulletin from OTL

Kentucky Wildcats: 2012 NCAA Men's Basketball Champions! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!
Not open for further replies.