Protect and Survive: A Timeline

Bleak, dark, magnificent as ever, I wish I could write like that.

I'm very interested in what was going on in the first part.

I predict that in a couple of years, the US will have a dozen "Presidents"

I predict there was a problem with Air Force One. You could in an emergency put a 747 down on a 4,000 foot runway. There's plenty (over 40) of those in Colorado and I'm sure some of them have survived.

Awesome writing Macragge I reckon you should try and publish this one day!

Looks like the United States are in an even worse condition than Britain. There is no leadership, no command and control, NOTHING left now save on a local/statel level. Whereas Britain has Corsham (a town I drive through nearly twice a week these days :eek:) and some amount of C3I surviving, the United States is now faced with itw own demons namely secession.

When in the previous update someone said that Britain may have the world largest navy remaining, they were probably much closer to the truth than they could ever have guessed ...

Wondering what went on with the police convoy, could it be related to that criminal?

Just to say I have read this from beginning to end over the last two days and I must say it is a magnificent peice of writing. I was 6 at the time of the nuclear exchange ITTL and as I lived in Eltham south east london im guessing i would be dead.

Just thinking about the Falklands, in the run up too war wouldnt the UK have sent 3 or 4 WE177s to the falklands and let the argetinian government know it?

for readers that might not realize,

before 1990, Air Force One was a Boeing 707.

air_force_one_boeing_707.jpg

Last edited:

Sir Chaos

Banned
I predict there was a problem with Air Force One. You could in an emergency put a 747 down on a 4,000 foot runway. There's plenty (over 40) of those in Colorado and I'm sure some of them have survived.

For that matter, with sufficient skill (and I´m sure Air Force One is piloted by one of the best) you could probably land an airliner on a sufficiently long stretch of straight highway, of which there ought to be plenty in the desert states.

For that matter, with sufficient skill (and I´m sure Air Force One is piloted by one of the best) you could probably land an airliner on a sufficiently long stretch of straight highway, of which there ought to be plenty in the desert states.

As modelcitizen has pointed out, a 707 (not a 747-200, my bad) could probably be put down on a section of straight highway - just pick one with no bridges. Depending on use of emergency braking, headwinds etc, you'll need a minimum of 3,000 ft.

I'm not so certain that the United States is in worse shape than Great Britain in the long run, because someone is actually in charge, the temporary issue is merely communication. I'm a little confused as to how after a few months (?), they haven't found the highest ranking cabinet member somewhere. Radios still work, presumably.

I doubt that "secession" except by a few nutjobs is likely.

I'm not so certain that the United States is in worse shape than Great Britain in the long run, because someone is actually in charge, the temporary issue is merely communication. I'm a little confused as to how after a few months (?), they haven't found the highest ranking cabinet member somewhere. Radios still work, presumably.

I doubt that "secession" except by a few nutjobs is likely.

The problem in America is that those nutjobs are likely to be quite well armed.

The problem in America is that those nutjobs are likely to be quite well armed.

As well as the Army? Or National Guard? :confused:

Very few people are going to grab their guns and declare independence when the National Guard rolls into town, especially in a time of crisis. I doubt that sort of posturing will happen much more often than it is portrayed as occurring in Great Britain in this TL.

Well yes, but the question is whether they would be willing to risk the men and resources needed to do something about the groups. They wouldn't last long as soon as there was any federal response, but with little or no communication infrastructure that might not happen for a while.

Very few people are going to grab their guns and declare independence when the National Guard rolls into town, especially in a time of crisis. I doubt that sort of posturing will happen much more often than it is portrayed as occurring in Great Britain in this TL.

It might not happen any more often, but first of all the US is a lot bigger than the UK, so there will be areas that are barely touched by the bombs. In those areas you may well see a level of Non-government control for a while.

And when it does happen it is likely to be bloodier than in the UK, after far more Americans are likely to be armed than people in the UK, even in 1984. Not to mention the fact that there are some survivalist groups around in OTL that have ~100 members and some pretty well fortified buildings.

Sir Chaos

Banned

May I remind you that the Army was for a large part fighting a war in Europe? I suppose parts of them may be raining down on the secessionists as radioactive fallout, but that´s about all they could do about the matter.

What is left of the Army and National Guard have roughly a hundred thousand more urgent jobs to do trying to help those who actually want help.

Essentially the Commando is blaming the pilot for all the people killed by the bomb the pilot's plane dropped on Leningrad during the exchange.

I thought the commando held the pilot in contempt for turning into a nervous wreck after returning from his Leningrad bombing mission.

The commando then blamed the pilots nerves for killing his mate when the plane landed badly, don't think the commando would have hesitated if given the order to nuke a city.

Fantastic ending to PROSPERO, shame about the Gripper though.

Actually the majority of the US Army and National Guard, bar those with POMCUS sets in Europe, probably never made it to the front, the war was just too short. The ArNG also had a lot of medium-weight divisions in the '80s that didn't seem to have an actual role outside of CONUS, added to that there are the remaining seperate brigades and training divisions of the USAR which can now be used in internal operations. There are also the various State Defence Forces on top of that.

The Acting President (the senior successor) could also in theory activate the Reserve Militia (every able bodied male between 17-45, with some exceptions).

You've amazed me with the "Battle of Whitby", now you've left me speechless again. Honestly, I believe you should seriously think about publish this wonderful story on paper or at least in an e-book version, it deserves that, I agree in toto with Dunois. :)

Is the starting narration the prelude of the Foyle's Nuclear War? Maybe has the Police just discovered another victim of our mysterious serial killer?

The first thought I had when the helicopter crew landed was "Oh no, not another On the beach Epic Fail™! Indeed I really felt the time slow to a stop when I read

No use. Mission failed.

For ages, the whole crew sit in silence and just listen to the rain hammer at the plane's metal skin.

The next scene was a perfect Final Showdown Sequence: the Commando has reached the zenith of insanity, the bullet delivered to the Scientist is a no returning point for everyone. If the Pilot doesn't kill the Commando there will not be any survivor at all. I was sorry for the American, he seemed to me a good bloke.

The "capture" by the US Army was -in a ...strange way- a little bit grotesque: the Prospero guys have survived a transoceanic journey and landing, feral dogs in Iceland, fake VANG thugs, another dangerous trip to the heart of America and now they are sentenced to death by a soldier who have decided irrevocably about who's got a british accent and who don't. Lucky them, they found the Agent, and extra points to you Jack for the "Ha. I am the Secret Service now. All of it" line :D.

The story of the escape from D.C seemed to me kinda realistic: unless an ASB shielded them, was automatic thinkin' that the Soviet hit or at least tryed to hit any known designed facility for the AF1. Anyway the President has survived, always better than the end he met in Warday.

Equallyreasonablewas the pitiful state of the POTUS: a valiant but old man, proved by repeated massive stress, that was slowly sinking into the oblivion.

I sweated cold, just like in a nightmare, even if it was only fiction, at the rentrée of the Commando. Believe it or not, yesterday I was thinkin' about how mad was the commando and I thought "If they'll found Reagan or any other acting president he'll probably look for a way to kill even him". I was right :(.

Am I right too on presume the second pilot was killed by the blast? My best compliments for the heart-touching last words of Ronnie: I found absolutely realistic his sorrow and sadness, somehow he was one of the men who ended the world, as the Commando would say.

I wonder also how much of the US is still habitable (some pages ago I posted maps of the strikes on the civilian targets and they alone were something dreadful) and who's at least formally on charge, according to the United States presidential line of succession. Will we never know anything about Bush or other key american figures?

Above all, thank you again :)

It might not happen any more often, but first of all the US is a lot bigger than the UK, so there will be areas that are barely touched by the bombs. In those areas you may well see a level of Non-government control for a while.

Er...which is it? If there's less dislocation and devastation, then the regular local governments are still functioning, and who is leading the charge to secede? The mayor of Jonesville? If a large portion of the state of, say, South Carolina remains un-nuked, the vast majority of people there aren't going to up and secede from the United States.

And when it does happen it is likely to be bloodier than in the UK, after far more Americans are likely to be armed than people in the UK, even in 1984. Not to mention the fact that there are some survivalist groups around in OTL that have ~100 members and some pretty well fortified buildings.

Well, that's something else entirely. Having a compound out in the boonies is entirely different from secession or having twelve claimants to the Presidency, as was suggested earlier.

Last edited:
May I remind you that the Army was for a large part fighting a war in Europe? I suppose parts of them may be raining down on the secessionists as radioactive fallout, but that´s about all they could do about the matter.

What is left of the Army and National Guard have roughly a hundred thousand more urgent jobs to do trying to help those who actually want help.

The United States denuded itself of all military cadres and NG formations in the buildup to the war? Presumably because they weren't as prepared as the UK, where we hear references to army personnel on a near post-by-post basis? Please.

The point about them having a lot of other jobs is well-taken, but the idea that large swathes of the United States are just waiting for a national crisis to secede is ridiculous. A loony militia here and there bullying a handful of counties is something else entirely, similar to the mutiny in the village we've seen in Great Britain which was rather promptly suppressed.

Just thinking that Secret Service agent is in most probability right about being the last member of the Presidential Detail, but wrong that he's the only surviving member of the USSS. The agency is currently 4,400 strong, so I suspect that there are a lot of surviving agents out there, though a lot of counterfeiting cases have probably just become somewhat irrelevant. :D